Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Harlem Nights
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on January 10, 2002
Harlem Nights is one of the best movies ever made. It's a great period piece from the "roaring 20's". It has a cast of some of the greatest comic geniuses from every generation. Redd Foxx is classically funny in his usual manner paired with Della Reese; their exchange of witty banter throughout the entire movie leaves you cracking a smile. Eddie Murphy is as smooth as ever in one of his funniest films. Richard Pryor uses his subtle class to hold this one together. I know some of the language can be a bit much to some people who are not used to it being used as humor. A lot of critics did not think that this movie lived up to the cast involved in it. I am not sure what they were thinking that it should be. It couldn't have been any funnier. It has class, style, great costumes, good dialogue...great charisma between the actor/actresses. I think that if the critics didnt try to be so politically correct all of the time...they might have enjoyed this movie for what it is. Just good old fashioned fun.
on March 4, 1999
A very funny movie which will become a classic. I have seen the movie at least 10 times. Hopefully one day it will be on DVD. The television version takes away some of the comedic dialogue. This all star cast that includes comedy greats such as Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, and celebrities such as Della Reese, and Arsenio Hall. It is almost certain to become a much sought after collectable.
on October 4, 2000
Eddie Murphy makes his directorial debut with a lushly produced, light hearted, enjoyable period piece about 1930s Harlem club owners. The all star cast turns in a pleasant ensemble performance, with an emphasis on smoothness rather than hilarity.
Film critics cut Murphy no slack, they shredded him for not living up to expectations of a comic masterpiece. They should take a laxative. Yes, yes, I agree that the plot is routine, it's a remake of The Sting, there is profanity, it's not a masterpiece, Eddie is more smooth than funny, yadda yadda yadda.
OK, so maybe Harlem Nights didn't live up to the hype. So what? It's still an enjoyable film. It's very entertaining to watch so many great performers all in one movie, even if they do pull their punches. The costumes are Oscar-caliber, the Herbie Hancock soundtrack is superfine, and everyone looks good.
I notice that Hollywood routinely produces a veritable torrent of well-cast B movies (and far worse). I notice that plenty of mainstream comedians break stereotype and try on non-comedic movie roles. Surely some of our most talented black performers can be given the latitude to do the same? Relax, and enjoy the movie for what it is.
on November 27, 2006
Though Amazon.com didn't think highly of this movie, I did, and thank goodness this movie was made!

Both Richard Pryor and Redd Foxx are not with us anymore, but this IS here. This film shows us the comedic talent of both these men, and to have stars like Eddie Murphy, Danny Aiello, and Della Reese is delicious icing on the cake.

Pryor as Sugar Ray and Murphey as Quick try to keep a vicious mobster from taking over their business. As you might think, they turn the tables on the bad buys!

Jasmine Guy stands out particularly as the mobster's girlfriend, and so does Della Resse as the hard-fighting madam with a heart of gold.

Thank-you, Eddie Murphy, for getting all these wonderful comedic talents together for us and prosperity! Because this movie exists we have them all forever.
on January 20, 2003
Fans of the movie know what would come next in the title of this review. I don't know about the black/white humor thing - I'm white and my husband and I and another couple find this movie side splitting. The talented comedians in this film are great! We have quoted lines to each other from this film for at least the last ten years, anyway. So glad it's out in DVD. It will make a great Valentine's gift for dh.
on December 23, 2005
This is one of my personal top 5 movies. I have no idea how many times I've watched it, but its funny to me each and every time. What a star-studded cast -- and they all come through with great performances.

I wish they had kept this group together for another movie project. It is priceless to watch the alpha dog trailblazers in Black standup work together - Redd Foxx, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy. Simply amazing.

I highly recommend this movie, if you haven't already figured that out.
on May 21, 2000
Harlem Nights is without equal in the African American film list. It is a great story which pokes humour at the disparities in America. Who wouldn't find Eddie Murphy,Redd Foxx, and Richard Pryor funny? The movie is a classic. Even the scenes where they poke fun at the champ are hilarious. Della Reese is masterful. Harlem Nights is a great film. The language may be excessive at times but what else could you expect from Pryor and Murphy. Eddie Murphy continues to be a genius and one of the best comedians of all time. If you don't own a copy of Harlem Nights buy it, watch it and love it. It is wonderful.
on August 15, 2015
If you've never seen this vid, you are in for a treat! This is one of Murphy's best movies. Talents like Richard Pryor, Red Fox, Arsenio Hal also made me laugh myself sick in this star studded movie about the night life of the rip roaring days of the early 1900's. The mafia and corrupt police force try to extort money from illegal casino owner Sweet Sugar Ray (played by Pryor) The mafia boss keeps ratcheting up the pressure until, with no other choice left to them, Sugar Ray and Quick (played by Murphy) turn the tables on the crooks and crooked cops and beat them at their own game! They whole vid is honestly hilarious. This is one of my favorite comedies of all time.
on August 24, 2015
Red Foxx, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, with numerous amazing other actors and actresses (Della Reese, Danny Aiello, even Charlie Murphy), and Herbie Hancock wrote the opening theme!! If you can get past the salty language, this is one of the greatest movies of all time. A period piece, set in 1930's Harlem, it focuses on a small "Club" in Harlem, NY, and the group that runs it. The movie touches on all aspects of the era; racism, gangster warfare, professional sports gambling, and still manages to deliver a massive amount of laughs, a few touching moments, and have you rooting for the underdog the whole way through. Great performances by all.

LOVE THIS MOVIE. And tacos. I do love me some tacos.
on August 8, 2015
Excellent movie....fashions to die for. Watching it again right now. (And I did.)
Murphy did a great job. I AGREE, "Harlem Knights"...I mean, "HARLEM NIGHTS" is liking to become an American classic.--Why? Because of its "star" power. There is no way that the characters were not captured in their elements. The performances were exacting. Watching this movie does put you in Harlem, during the 20s, in its nights. I'm just now finding this movie though it has been on my list for years because I was looking under: "HARLEM KNIGHTS", which I like as a name for a movie about some guys who started their own nightclub business fair and square. People liked their business. It was a very popular place. Somebody else in town didn't like the fact that this particular club was making more money so they decided to put the knights out of business. And the Knights used their minds and set the other side up and wiped them out and left town with all the dough. Bravo for my knights. Funny, so funny and so characteristicly performed. The costumes were so beautiful one has to press pause and take it all in. SOMEONE SAID that it was a remake of: "The STing", well that movie was the remake of some other "sting". There are trillion "strings" to make but they won't have Della Reese's performance as a "madame of ill-repute" and it won't have Jasmine Guy so exquisitely dressed in unforgettable costumes: her beauty is pronounced.

I could nick-pic....that one scene with Jasmine and Eddie in bed and she wants to kill him. That scene was unreasonable because no woman would attempt to do what the scene had her doing. It was unreasonable becasue there was a dozen ways "Quick", the character, could have moved or just punched her, slapped the gun out of her hand or just rolled over. So that scene is debatable. No point in that. That scene was done by a rule in that milieu: don't pull a gun unless you're firing it and if you do pull the trigger and nothing happens the other person is to kill you straight away. Rules for the period and the enviornment.