5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional down-to-Earth, easy, fun read, June 9, 2008
This review is from: Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux (Paperback)
A sample copy of this book arrived in my mailbox at the university (UofM-Dearborn) where I teach. I began reading it to brush up and enhance my understanding of Unix- and Linux- based systems.

I receive several "sample books" every year, and sometimes I give them a once over and shelve them until they may (or may not) be needed in the future. THIS book was an exception. It was written in a very professional, but often humorous fashion.

I have read a lot on Unix, and some on Linux, and I must say that without a doubt, this is the BEST book I've ever read on the subject(s), period. It has a lot of footnote "Computer Nerd" humor.

So whether you're well-versed in computer science and/or related topics, or you are new to the field(s), this book is a must-have. I strongly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learning the science and history of Unix, August 12, 2011
This review is from: Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux (Paperback)
I am yet to read the whole book but to be fair I have read till page 470 and still have another 450 or so pages to finish reading this book. My review will be based on what I read till page 470.
This book will help you to learn unix plus it gives you historical perspective on it. It goes onto explain the history behind the use of the "return key" and why computers actually *do not* multitask. If that is not enough, there is a story (read funny) involved in explaining some of the things such as newline and return key. There are ton of other things that are explained in this book which involves humor and history.

This is my first unix book so I may be slightly biased but even then this book is worth for the history alone.

Overall, I found that if you know the history,it is easier to grasp and understand things rather than only reading them like facts. I will update after I finish reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great textbook, February 21, 2014
Harley is funny and makes relevant comparisons. It's not an easy task considering Unix/Linux can be a pretty dry subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book!, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux (Paperback)
I've been great friends with Harley since birth, I find it historical that I'm reading this book now to learn about Linux and Unix, now that I'm running a server. Since I'm good friends with him, I can hear his voice in my head when reading it. Makes it really enjoyable to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 24, 2014
Perfect book

5.0 out of 5 stars Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux (Paperback)
The book is actually pretty good. The author adds his humor to the book which makes it easier to understand and fun to read.

Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux
Harley Hahn's Guide to Unix and Linux by Harley Hahn (Paperback - February 7, 2008)
$106.27 $102.75