5.0 out of 5 stars Great Surround Sound Amp
Published on October 9, 2012 by Ronald R. Eckiss

This really is one of the best buys you can make for a mid-range receiver these days.
It does not compare to some of the more expensive and powerful receivers out there but for what you pay here you are getting amazing value.

Connectivity:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is one of the most important feature for a lot of people so I'll start here:
The...
Published on December 13, 2011 by M. Morim

3.0 out of 5 stars An great receiver for the price, with a beautiful look and horrible support, December 13, 2011
This review is from: Harman Kardon AVR 1650 5.1-Channel, 95-Watt Audio/Video Receiver with HDMI v.1.4a, 3-D, Deep Color and Audio Return Channel (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Connectivity:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The receiver has 4Xhdmi inputs which is very impressive for a $400 receiver, it also boasts 6 RCA inputs, 2 optical inputs, one coaxial input, an rgb component input and 1 hdmi out.
all in all, a very good selection. It also has an optional input for an IIIP docking station for an iphone but that is not included and costs a whopping $130 ([...]).
This is quite a disappointment for me but I was able to connect my *ANDROID* phone using a simple 3.5mm headphone jack to rca converter (costs $1.22 at [...]).

Sound Quality:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have it connected to a set of 5.1 Harman Kardon speakers and the sound is quite good, the bass is actually amazing (even surpasses my Denon AVR-988 in the quality of the bass).
The mid-tones and high tones could stand to be a bit more precise and separated, but not more so than any other receiver in that price neighborhood.

Ease of use:
~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Installation: was actually very easy, the colored sockets made it very easy to know which speaker I'm connecting right now and that the polarity is correct (this was of course helped by me having the HK speakers which were color coded in the same way).
The setup and tuning was a breeze thanks to the EZSet EQ calibration.
2. Remote Control: average remote control, nothing to write home about, but it is programmable so that can be nice for some people.
3. On device controls: Those leave a bit to be desired - the stunning look of the receiver comes at a price - the buttons on the device are quite hard to make out but I don't think I ever needed to use them.

Look and Feel:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is where this box really shines, I've seen many receivers in my days and this one really takes the crown for most beautiful device. It really complements the living room where other receivers do the exact opposite.

Features:
~~~~~~~~~
1. 3D: I can't really talk about that since I don't have a 3D tv (who needs it, anyway?) but it's there if you need it...
2. Dolby TrueHD \ DTS-HD Master Audio: This was tested and does indeed work - it is, however, fairly standard these days in receivers like that.
3. Logic 7 processing: this technology claims to transform standard 2 channel sound to surround sound. It does NO SUCH THING, not even a $3,000 receiver can do that.

-----------
Conclusion:
~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a great compromise between price and function, with a beautiful facade on top it.
Its a good fit for those couples who disagree on the usefulness and necessity of the home theater concept - it combines gorgeous looks with a low price tag and good enough sound quality.

Side Note:
==========
I had a problem connecting one of my devices to the receiver - I have a computer, xbox, playstation and a wii that I wanted to connect to the tv through the receiver.
For some reason that did not work: when I connected my xbox and my computer, I couldn't see the computer, when I connected the computer alone, it worked.
When I called customer support, I had to wait for over 30 minutes on the line until I arrived at an unhelpful fella that was not from the US and that all he could say is that I need to reset my receiver and that it should fix it. trying to reason with him did not work and I eventually gave up and connected the xbox directly to the TV.
This cost the receiver a star and that is why it is 3 stars and not 4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Surround Sound Amp, October 9, 2012
My old Sony surround amp did not successfully survive the move to the new house. Since I had a Harman Kardon stereo amp I decided to buy this amp for the surround sound system in my new media room. I am not disappointed. The entire system was very easy to hook up to my new 3-D plasma TV. Four HDMI inputs were just right for all of my components. The remote is clear and easy to use. The sound from my Bose speakers is crisp, clear and most of the time too loud for my wife. Bass thru the powered sub rocks the whole house.
The included microphone for balancing the entire system in the room worked great. When you set in the mid point of the room you hear all of the sounds from each speaker, perfectly balanced as you are supposed to. I did not want to set up a 7.1 system. 5.1 is fine with me.
For the money this is a very good amp.

4.0 out of 5 stars love the sound of music and video, July 4, 2013
The bottom line is if your AVR gives you the sound and music that you like. The HK AVR 1650 delivers. I have some classic TIME WINDOWS 1a and some bookshelf DCM speakers. I have been using a very old and heavy ONKYO receiver for a long time and needed a replacement AVR. This HK 1650 definitely is an improvement the only problem is that if you start using cheaper speakers like the BIC center channel for $ 40 bucks or the BIC 8inch subwoofer for $ 90 bucks they will not do well with my current system. I had to return both of these speakers. The higher grade AVR requires higher grade speakers to take advantage of this AVR. I love the EZ set up that has a cone receiver to pick up the volume of all the speaker inputs and self adjusts and self equalizes the speakers. The cone receiver is included in the box. The only gripe I have with Amazon is their pricing ...you can get the HK AVR 1650 for only $ 199.00 at FRYs Electronics.

8/11/2013. Update on my HK AVR---- still working well with no issues. Note, there is a USB port on the front right panel, this is supposedly for possible future firmware updates. However, I have noticed the unit tends to get hot on the right top side close behind the large volume dial. Looking down at the unit there is large heat sink running across front panel behind the volume dial. I purchased a Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan ...plug it into the USB port and run it along the right side vents.....this will keep your unit cool and hopefully prolong and protect your investment. Remember heat is a nasty enemy for electronics. Better safe now then sorry later!

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual Harman Quality at a nice price, October 20, 2011
Eddie (Miami, South Florida. USA) - See all my reviews
This baby rocks. Hooked it to 2 pairs of Sony SS-F6000 in front and surround positions and a Sony SS-CN5000 in the center and now I'm looking forward to get evicted from my apartment complex ;) Sweet natural Harman response and super clean looks. The only missing feature is a tape2 monitor section for external EQ but I guess that's asking for a 2 decades return in time. But as long as you have analog inputs you can always overdose yourself with those nice altered frequency responses anyway, just not for the tuner, but I dont listen to the crap they air on the radio so I'm good so far. This one doesn't run hot as previous models I had (I even used to have a couple of 4" fans on top of my AVRII back in the day) so that's good news since I live in Florida and I don't need another heater in the living room, the one up in the sky is more than enough!! Do yourself a favour though and get a set of loudspeakers, not one of the little H/T sets they sell. Sure, loudspeakers are big but sound quality too. I just wonder how much nicer would this sound with Polks instead of the Sonys.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much Better Than Sony and A Great Deal, November 2, 2013
I've owned this particular receiver for a few months now and I couldn't be happier with the price/performance. I got this on sale for $229. First the sound quality, which is the most important feature of any receiver, is excellent. It sounds much better than the Sony HTR 1010 I used to have that this one replaced. The Sony did have many more options but the sound quality was simply average at best. I'm using a 3.1 setup with Def Tech speakers and a Mirage sub which are both great btw. I did not use the microphone to set up the speakers because I prefer to do that manually. Setup is very easy and straightforward but I would recommend downloading the manual for specifics and tweaking. I contacted HK directly through email for the manual and they sent me a link for a very easy download.
The HDMI inputs and the one output work flawlessly with no degradation in the video quality, and to me it seems to make it sharper, but that may be my imagination. I have an Apple TV, Sony 3D BD player, Comcast X1 DVR, and a Samsung 3D tv all hooked up via HDMI, Of course the sound quality when used through the HDMI is perfect and the best way to listen to anything. I have not used any other connection except the optical which I use for the Smart TV function on my Samsung tv and that works fine.
The power supply provides more than enough amperage and wattage for most applications. I can't think of any speaker that would challenge this receiver because the power is constant and clean. The Sony I used to have pumped out 1/4 of the amps that this HK does and that is the main difference.
I rarely use the radio tuner so there is nothing to add about that.
The remote control is simply horrible. It is not laid out logically and some of the functions, like switching sound modes, are not available through the remote. The only thing I use the remote for is switching HDMI inputs, the power on/off, and volume. Other than that it's pretty much useless.
The front of the unit is minimalist and that is a plus. Some people don't like the lit up volume dial but I do, it looks streamlined to me. The whole receiver looks classy and isn't distracting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Upgraded from a 10 year old Onkyo..., November 16, 2013
We are retired. This will give you some idea as to our technical expertise. We are beginners. So, I thought it would be helpful to ny other neophytes to take heart that they too can upgrade to a new A/v receiver with HDMI inputs, without being intimidated.

We had a 56" Sony HD tele and and older Onkyo, which we bought in 2002. We thought it was time to update the who system.

We bought a 70' Vizio, Samsung Blu-Ray player and this H/K/ receiver.

We've had just one problem with the whole setup---"lip sync". There is a control for this on both the TV and the H/K receiver, yet the problem still persists...it's not really bad [maybe 1/4 of a second]...but it's noticeable. The strange thing is that the lip-sync problem exists on most of the channels EXCEPT for PBS---they are spot on. Most curious, no?

Anyway, this review is about the H/K, right? It's working flawlessly. Like most new electronic gizmo's, there is a learning curve. This is no different, but once you get to know what the controls do, once you make the usual mistakes, you'll finally get to know the receiver as well as a good friend!

Our Onkyo was a 5.1 but lacked the HDMI's. The sound on the H/K is f-a-r superior to our 10 year old Onkyo! The EZ speaker set up did not work for us and we have set the speakers up manually. We've had our home theatre [5.1] set up for almost 3 months now and we have experience nothing by great viewing and exceptional sound reproduction.

I hope that we have helped any "newbees" get over any anxiety about upgrading their equipment...

5.0 out of 5 stars Fine receiver at a great price, April 18, 2013
Alberto Vargas (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is my first Harman Kardon receiver, which I got as a second receiver. My primaries in the past have been Denon and Rotel. So I wanted to try something a little simpler.

This is a good looking receiver with a minimalist look that HK is known for. It has the right inputs, in fact a lot for its price: 4 HDMI, 6 RCA, 2 Optical, 1 Coaxial, and 1 Component. There is just one HDMI out, so multi zone entertainment may not be in the books. Good enough for a home theater though.

This receiver has enough power to drive just about any speakers. I tried it with two-way towers and a center and did just great. The sound is detailed and balanced. With movies, the Dolby HD and other formats found on BluRay work just fine. It met my bar for a home theater receiver.

Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nothing fancy but very robust, October 29, 2013
Well this receiver was to replace my 7 years of sherwood 8601. Let me start with a con. Automatic surround seems to get logic 7 moive whatever the analog input is - the manual says it will choose between movie, music, and game. Well this receiver doesn't have a simple dsp shifting on its remote. you have to get into osd or push buttons on the unit. Related to this, the included remote sucks. When you change the input, the whole remote setting changes. No additional dsp setting like sports, theater, hall, etc... you will be surprised that how basic this unit is. you will spend more time on how to use the remote rather than the unit itself. If you don't count hdmis, this one has less functions than my former 8601.

However, this one sounds good. clear and deeper. This is making me want to sleep in front of my tv. Automatic eq is great though you will bother your neighbors during the process. I wrote more cons than pros. Well. this unit does one thing well - making good and robust sounds without gimmicks. If you want better sound than other convenient functions, get this. Plus, this looks good. If you need more dsp options, get something else.

I connected this to SLS q-line gold speakers (4ohm) with my own DIY pyle woofer. It handles the speaker very well. To compensate its lack of network function, I use sony s3100 wifi bluray for cd, dvd, bluray, streaming, and DLNA. Chromecast will not turn on without external power. Well you can get power from the front usb which is meaningless since it doesn't get any input - the usb is exclusively for firmware update which hasn't been updated yet. I somehow miss sports dsp and still struggle with the remote. Still, I love the sounds it makes. Pretty sure it will handle better speakers too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality without lots of frills, March 6, 2013
I bought this to replace a failing Onkyo system. I was trying to find a AVR that was good / high quality without all the extras (mostly network-based crap) that I won't use. It turns out that that is a difficult thing to find these days. All the higher end AVRs seemed laden with lots of useless crap. Sigh. So I found myself buying an older model of AVR that had been replaced in HK's product line by a crap-laden model.

I've been using the unit for a few weeks now and am reasonably pleased with it.

Setup was relatively painless. The auto equalization with the microphone is a nice feature, but I found I needed to go back and do some minor adjustment to get the balance just right. Most notably the center front channel was set to way too low of a value for my taste. I prefer to actually hear the dialogue in a movie, rather than have it drowned out by environmental sounds in the other channels.. ;-)

One other pet peeve I have is with the remote's behavior relative to the overloading of the source keys. I want to use the remote to select the source (e.g., HDMI1, HDMI2, etc), but I do NOT want that same keypress to switch the focus/control of the remote to that device. Call me odd, but I don't find universal remotes useful. I prefer to use the remote that came with the unit -- the controls are generally better suited to the function of that device. As such, it is a pain the butt to have to select AVR to get the AVR's control back to the AVR's remote.

Also, I wish that the there was a way to permanently set the dimmer. Those front-panel display lamps are distractingly bright and it is a pain in the butt to have to reset the dim every time I turn the unit on.

Otherwise the unit has been working like a champ and I'm quite happy with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Receiver, November 10, 2013
I purchased this from Amazon. I had some issues with the volume not getting past 50% of it's capability and also had some issues with the lights on the front of the unit not illuminating.

I ended up resetting the system, first the basic reset which fixed the light issue and then a processor reset which fixed the volume issue. With the processor reset all saved settings are wiped out, so they must be reset.

Calling HK support was bad. I ended up finding the full manual (which doesn't come with the receiver) online which helped me figure it out. I went to the HK site to download the manual and when I picked the English version it was actually the German version for some reason, comical.

I had this receiver on a switched outlet originally which I think was the cause of most of the issues. Since moving off of the switched outlet I have had no more issues.

All in all I'm happy.