Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon King easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

on May 28, 2010
We bought this for installing our new laminate wood floor over our concrete slab foundation. Works fantastic. Easy to install and line up multiple rows, and easily tucks under baseboards. The floor sounds great on top of it - no clicking or fake sound to it at all. We feel like we got a great quality product at a fantastic amazon.com price. The only thing I don't like about it is that the layers separate easily on the edge so that the foam balls inside fall out (think miniature packing peanuts). They're easy enough to vacuum when done installing, but they do get annoying floating all over the place until you reach that point. It's not a big enough nuisance to detract from my rating, though. And be prepared for very large boxes at delivery. Should seem obvious, but if you don't have a large area for the delivery person to leave them, be sure to plan ahead. Great product!
on January 23, 2012
I selected this product to be installed under floating engineered hardwood hoping for a more solid-feeling floating floor. After 100 square feet of hardwood went down, I gave the floor a "test walk." Every step sounded like I was walking on slightly muffled bubble wrap. Snap! Crackle! Pop! Walking on a section of the foor where the underlayment was not yet covered with flooring was also noisy, but less so.

Now, I know my subfloor is not perfectly even--every inch of it was inspected with a 6-foot level before starting the project--but the occasional dips were all within the 1/8" range deemed acceptable by the flooring manufacturer. In an identical, adjacent room in the same house I had similar floating engineered flooring installed using another underlayment Roberts 70-025 Unison 2-In-1 Underlayment, For Laminate And Wood Floors, Blocks Moisture, Cushions, 100 Sq. Foot Roll and it is perfectly quiet.

I'm glad the noise problem was discovered before the job was finished, removing 100 square feet of carefully laid flooring is frustrating enough. The unopened rolls are on their way back to Amazon, and the installed underlayment will be be ripped out and recycled as a drop cloth before it ends up in the trash.

Here's hoping this stuff Roberts 70-190 Super Felt Premium Felt Underlayment is as quiet as advertised, otherwise I'm going back to the basic white foam variety.
22 comments4 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2010
This is a great product at a great price. Dont go for the 2-in-1 when you can get the 3-in-1 for such a reasonable price.

I put in Pergo floors with this underlayment. Feels solid and there is no cheap tacky sound you get with plain old plastic barriers. Floor jobs are not paint jobs that can be easily redone, so dont skimp on this important protective barrier.

I would however recommend that you get 20% MORE material than SFT. For some reason, the material fell short (cutting / sizing dynamics) and I had to order another roll through Amazon Prime.

This is about 45% cheaper than the big orange home improvement store. They were shocked to learn how cheap this was online.
on February 8, 2010
This product does exactly what it says it will do. It provides for a proper hardwood "sound" when used under a floating laminate.
on March 10, 2010
It's my first time installing wood flooring in a condo. Association had strict rules and just told me that if it's too loud for folks below me, then I may run the risk of taking it out. Condo is on second floor. I had concrete slab floors. I loved the floors so much that i decided to take a risk. Turned out to be fantastic. Did not notice any noise. Easy to install.
on December 27, 2010
When I purchased my laminate wood floors I did not realize how much more stuff I would have to buy. From different dividers, underlayment, and installation kit. I found some very good priced underlayment on Amazon for like $10 a roll. Everyone discouraged me from buying cheap underlayment because of the sound it makes when you walk on it. I have a friend who used regular underlayment and every step you hear a cracking sound. I noticed the reviews of Harmony's 3in1 underlayment and knew this was one of the best. And for $30 dollars it was about 3 times the cost but I felt like if I went cheap I would hate myself every step I made on my new floor. I went with this and was very impressed. It only made sound the first day as I think the floor was settling. Now I can walk across and no sound. It was also very easy to install, there is a tape like material on the bottom so it just lines up together. As other reviewers have mentioned there are the little balls that get everywhere but if you have a good vacuum or shop vac its no problem. If you dont mind the sound I would recommend a cheaper underlayment. If you want quite, especially if you are in a condo this underlayment is a must buy!

Pros: Quiet, easy to install

Cons, Price, little balls get everywhere
on June 23, 2012
I bought this product because the description sounded great and the price was right. Unfortunately, when I received the product, it wasn't really what I was looking for. I'm not sure if you can tell by the picture, but basically what you have here are tiny styrofoam beads sandwiched between two sheets of clear plastic with an added vapor barrier. The problem is that there is way too much space between the beads. This will cause your floor to sound hollow and cheap and you will hear a "knocking" sound, for lack of a better word, when you walk on this. It will be especially annoying if you're using it in a bedroom on a second or third floor, as the sound will transmit to the downstairs rooms.

I was looking for something that was good quality, has great sound deadening characteristics and is priced good. What I got did not meet my goals. If you're looking for the same characteristics as me, you're better off going with a foam underlayment or felt. I've ordered the Global Products polyfoam because it's only $20 for a 100sq foot roll and is a dense 2mm foam that will surely sound better. I would have opted for the felt but at this price, I had to give it a try. I will post a review for that product once I receive it and use it.
on November 16, 2011
read the reviews on this and only found a negative one that I researched more. Ther was a complaint about the small foam balls (pellets about 2mm in size) getting loose and making noise...so to remedy this I always kept a broom close to keep the floor clean of any staples and small bits of construction material off the floor prior to laying this down. SO have a sharp carpet knife to cut the material, keep the floor clean (removing old staples from pulled padding)and just prior to laying laminate floor do a quick sweep again. This is the first time I have installed lamanite floor and could not be more pleased. BTW when you are ready to install lamanite flooring check the subfloor for loose plywood squares that creak an few screws down will make things quiet. I liked the fact that this material only compresses to 96% of its shape. Our floor feels like it is 1 inch hardwood on a cement floor and not 12mm on a plywood floor.The fact that it allows breathing between laminate and subfloor will cut down on mold built up. Also I saved 30% ordering from Amazon over the Big Orange Depot Guys...REMEMER TO KEEP FLOOR SWEPT ALL THE TIME..for the guy who had the problems with the loose pellets thank you for bringing this to our attention...
on September 1, 2011
I used this underlayment for a specific reason. My sub floor already has a vapor barrier under it (tar paper) that is sealed very well. The previous floor that I had to rip out had moisture under it because the underlaymnet that was used was a vapor barrier itself. In other words the 3/4 inch plywood subfloor was sandwiched between two vapor barriers and it held moisture and rotted under the pergo floor. This stuff allows air to flow under the laminate which lets the moisture out.
on July 28, 2011
Bought this to install under my 12mm laminate flooring. This is definately better than the basic cheap underlayment. I noticed that the hollowness of the floor is less than another room i have with the basic underlayment, when i walk on it. Easy to lay out and prepare. Wasn't too messy at all. Those foam beads remained stuck onto the backing of the underlayment. Best of all, it was a good deal here on amazon. Home depot had these for 60 per roll.