Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Cecile McLorin Salvant UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more

When Rachel Sutton pulls a battered Raggedy Ann doll from a snowdrift, she never expected to be assailed by a feeling of overwhelming terror. Not one to believe in psychics, but unable to ignore the fear that overcomes her every time she touches the doll, Rachel takes a leap of faith and delivers the toy to the local FBI office. At her wit's end, and even though she's convinced she'll be mocked and dismissed as a crazy, Rachel's sure that entrusting the doll to the FBI will allow her to move on with her life. Nick Bradley, a veteran agent, has met his share of whacky tipsters, but Rachel's levelheadedness and apparently genuine terror raise enough questions in his mind that he's unable to simply dispose of the filthy toy and write off Rachel's reaction as some sort of bizarre coincidence. When the doll turns out to be the only clue in a kidnapping case gone cold, and it's revealed that Rachel has an unexpected tie to the missing child, suddenly Nick's intriguing tipster is the target of unwanted media attention. As the news story spreads, Rachel becomes the only threat to a kidnapper desperate to cover her tracks, and Nick must work overtime to protect Rachel, the investigation's best lead and the only woman who's ever invaded his heart.

I was so happy to finally read Nick's story. The glimpses of his character in the first two books of the series marked him as an intriguing guy, and I had great fun watching Hannon turn the tables on him as he enters the spotlight and becomes the hero falling hard for a woman at the center of an investigation. Hannon writes the male point of view extremely well, and Nick is her best hero yet - a dreamy combination of toughness and sensitivity. The faith element was also well-integrated into the storyline. I loved the fact that Rachel wasn't a stranger to the idea of God, she just didn't see the need to cultivate a relationship with Him. Also, it was nice to see a female lead exploring faith - more often than not in CBA fiction it is the hero who learns faith in a story, so I really appreciated how Hannon shook up this formula with this novel. Also, Rachel's reaction to the doll and how others respond to it added a unique element to the storyline.

Hannon concludes her Heroes of Quantico series with a well-plotted thriller and a spectacular romance, earning In Harm's Way the top spot in my favorites ranking of the trilogy. Every aspect of this story clicked, working together on all levels from pacing, plotting and characterization to deliver one engaging, un-put-downable read. While I couldn't help but favorably compare the first two Quantico books to Dee Henderson's O'Malley series, which has long been a "gold standard" in romantic suspense in my view, this book blew past the competition. Hannon is clearly on track to lay claim to the title of "Queen of Romantic Suspense" in the CBA market. In Harm's Way is the perfect blend of suspense, balanced with just the right touch of romance between two leads that have so much chemistry the sparks practically fly from the page. Masterfully plotted and crackling with romantic tension, In Harm's Way delivers the goods - I can not WAIT for Hannon's next book!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Rachel Sutton is a music teacher who leads a very quiet life. Not really by choice, she has no family. Growing up in foster care has made her appreciate her cozy and permanent home though. Her quiet life is turned upside down one morning when she finds a Raggedy Ann doll under a snow drift. Picking it up will change her entire life.

Nick Bradley is a Special Agent with the FBI. In his years of work he has seen many unusual things. But when Rachel Sutton arrives at his office claiming she has a "reaction" when she picks up the doll he's thinking she's just another nut. As he talks with her though he realizes she is very perceptive, intelligent and attractive. So what could her reaction mean?

This is the third and final installment in the Heroes of Quantico Series. I really liked all the stories but I have to say this one was my favorite. I think it was because there was lots of interplay between Nick, Mark, Emily, Coop and Monica. Those were thoroughly enjoyable moments for me in the story. I also really liked the characters of Nick and Rachel. I enjoyed watching how open and honest Nick was about his faith and how honest Rachel was in saying she had none. The author did a great job in pointing out how one person can make a huge difference in someones life and not even realize it. This was a very engaging story from the beginning right up to it's outstanding conclusion and loaded with lots of twist and turns. I only regret that we must leave these "very real" characters with the close of this book. I felt very endeared to these Heroes of Quantico. Great job Irene!
on May 7, 2010
In Harm's Way was my first time sampling Irene Hannon's Romantic Suspense...and...I'm happy to say that I absolutely loved it! I thought the entire book was fast-paced, edge-of-your-seat, what's gonna happen next entertainment. I grumbled and groaned every time I had put it down! Yes, it's that good...at least in my opinion.

As I always say, it's more difficult for me to review suspense/mystery books as I don't want to give away any surprises/twists--trust me, this book has plenty. =) If you haven't read it yet, and you enjoy a good mystery, you are in for a treat!

Rachel and Nick will quickly make a place for themselves deep in your heart. I really enjoyed getting to know them, and watching them discover one another's secrets. Rachel loves music and art; while Nick's job allows him to be somewhat more adventurous. Nick lives his life with Christ at the center, but Rachel isn't sure what she believes as far as religion goes. When they realize they had similar childhoods, their blossoming relationship moves to an even deeper level. Prepare yourself for lots of twists and turns, all of which will eventually lead you to a very exciting ending!

If you're interested in finding out more about Irene Hannon, or her books, be sure to visit her website. Don't forget to check out the first two books in her Heroes of Quantico series:

Against All Odds
An Eye for an Eye

Available April 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

*** Thank you to Donna @ Revell Publishing for providing my review copy. ***
on April 6, 2012
Irene Hannon closes her phenomenal series "Heroes of Quantico" with "In Harm's Way". In her concluding novel, we finally get to see Nick fall in love like his two best friends (who the previous two books were about), Mark and Coop.

But it isn't the ideal boy-meets-girl situation.

Hannon sucks us in immediately with the opening prologue. A young infant is kidnapped. Said infant owns a treasured Raggedy Ann doll, which is promptly discarded by the kidnapper. Said Raggedy Ann doll is found in a frozen patch of snow by our heroine, Rachel Sutton.

On contact the doll gives Rachel bad vibes. And she's not a believer in the paranormal. So, after mustering up some courage she brings the doll to the FBI. Thus, coincidentally meeting our lovely Special Agent Nick Bradley. Again, it's not an ideal boy-meets-girl scenario.

Nick explains how they cannot do much with the information but offers to give her a follow-up in the event something happens. Rachel, feeling she's losing her sanity, goes home and tries to forget about it.

But sadly, that is not the case. As it turns out a nosy, eager, and very weird reporter overheard Rachel's story. From there she stalks poor Rachel and publishes in a tabloid all about Rachel's "psychic" ability and work with the FBI....

Which draws Nick and Rachel together again to handle the situation. The two end up sharing dinner as they discuss the case and learn more about each other.

I thoroughly agree with the phrase, "the plot thickens" it seems very accurate to "In Harm's Way" and about every other Irene Hannon novel I've read.

I will draw the line here and bring the review to a close, I don't want to spoil anyone too badly. But if you choose to read this book brace yourself for twists and unexpected turns that will keep you reading all night!

This is a series I recommend to all my friends and readers.
on July 14, 2012
When Rachel Sutton finds a Raggedy Ann Doll encased in a snow bank her first inclination is to just leave it there. Worried that some little girl will be missing it though she decides to chip it out of the snow and leave it in a prominent place for someone to find. When she touches the doll emotions course through her bringing a sense of terror. Rachel has never felt this way before and is afraid to approach the authorities knowing that she will be opening herself up to ridicule.

Not being able to ignore the feeling though Rachel brings the doll to the FBI. She meets special agent Nick Bradley to tell her story to. Nick's first inclination is to dismiss Rachel's claims. When he comes across a picture of a missing baby girl with the Raggedy Ann Doll in the picture he has to believe that for some reason Rachel and the doll have a connection.
As Rachel and Nick begin to develop feelings for each other there is still a kidnapper out there not wanting to be discovered. The kidnapper will do anything to keep law enforcement from discovering the missing baby. That includes eliminating anyone that may reveal who that person is.

I liked the story and I loved the characters of Rachel and Nick. Irene Hannon writes a good suspense novel. The problem with this one is that the suspense didn't really get moving until the final chapters of the book. I felt the majority of the book was spent exploring Rachel and Nick's relationship. Which I didn't mind, I thought they were a great match for each other. And despite the lack of suspense at the beginning I still was invested in the story and kept turning the pages to see how everything turned out. The ending of the book definitely did not lack in suspense! It kept me on the edge of my seat and totally stressed until the ending! This was the last book in the Heroes of Quantico series. Irene Hannon's next series is The Guardians of Justice series. The third book in that series comes out in August 2012. I'll need to read the first two in that series to catch up!
on August 22, 2010
IN HARM'S WAY is the icing on the cake in the Irene Hannon series, Heroes of Quantico. A magnetic read that I couldn't put down.

Rachel Sutton has had a difficult life, but chooses to live in the present. A busy teacher of piano and a muralist, her life is busy giving her no time to ponder her loneliness. An orphan when she was just an infant, she had no family to call her own so she immersed herself in her love of music and art. Her simple life changes when in an odd turn of events, she finds a Raggedy Ann doll buried in the snow. The minute she touches the doll she is overtaken by a strong current of fear. Not understanding what is happening to her, or why she's felt anxious the last few weeks, she goes to the FBI and finds it hard to explain the terror she feels when she touches the doll. Knowing she's made a fool of herself, she leaves, wishing she'd met the handsome FBI agent Nick Bradley under normal circumstances.

Special Agent Nick Bradley doesn't know what to make of Rachel Sutton's claim. She seems like a normal, intelligent woman, and even admits she doesn't believe in ESP or paranormal activity, but her explanation regarding the affect the doll has on her has him perplexed. He too, wishes they had met somewhere away from work, because the woman with the soulful brown eyes has definitely made an impression on him.

Rachel and Nick are thrown together in a bizarre way as the doll because the focus of a kidnapping that's trail has run cold. Trying to keep their personal feelings for each other from coming to the surface is difficult, especially when Nick feels Rachel's life is in danger , and Rachel has trust issues that might be the wedge that keeps her and Nick apart.

I finished IN HARM'S WAY in one afternoon. Irene's writing style is so smooth you turn page after page not even realizing the passing of time. Though I guessed the plot early, it didn't detract from the story in the least. A great series! I'm glad Irene's father challenged her to write mysteries, because I think suspense is definitely her strength.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have really enjoyed the books in this series. Normally romantic suspense dealing with the military or law enforcement doesn't really appeal to me. It's mainly because there's always this jargon or insider information that I just don't get because I'm not associated with anyone involved in either field. This series however has brought both fields to a more accessible level and has allowed me to really get into the story and understand what these men and women go through every day. The stories are filled with top notch suspense with a touch of romance to make for an exciting read.

I was a bit wary at first about the whole psychic aspect in the story. Not that I don't think that Christians can't have visions about the future, but usually in Christian fiction this plot line can get very cliched. Thankfully, Hannon handles it quite well here. Rachel doesn't normally get these sort of visions and even she has trouble accepting why she's having the experiences. Also they don't seem to something that will plague her for the rest of her life.

This is another book which involves a character who has mental health problems. Debra wants a child so bad that it has affected her thinking to the point where she will kidnap a child. Even though she pretty much creeped me out and drove me nuts with her actions, I felt bad for her especially after finding out how her father treated her. It's sad that she didn't get the help she needed until it was too late. The reporter, Claudia, really got on my nerves because she just sort of showed up in the story and did nothing but cause annoyance for everyone. Plus the fact that she was writing for a tabloid newspaper got on my nerves because she didn't bother to get the facts before publishing her articles. If she really wanted to speak with Rachel or the others she could have handled it a lot better than acting like news craved paparazzi.

The story does get a bit soap opera-ish at a few places because of the dramatic twists and turns that happen. Nothing is over the top but I definitely got the feel of trying to cram a bunch of dramatic elements at one time. My only qualm is that I felt that things were a bit rushed between Nick and Rachel's relationship. It just seemed like they met and then started dating within a few weeks and then things get really serious by the end of the book. I just would have liked more growth between the two. Still though, I really enjoyed the book as I have the others in the series. I felt everything has been tied up in the three books as all the lead men now have found a special someone. I wish there were more but I can settle with waiting for Hannon's new series that comes out next year.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In Harm's Way is the third book in her Heroes of Quantico Series, and I have enjoyed them all. This one starts quickly with a riveting prologue. The book focuses on another FBI agent, Nick Bradley, who meets with a woman who at the FBI office one Friday night. This woman is Rachel Sutton, who is bringing a Raggedy Ann doll to the FBI's attention because when she picked it up she felt intense fear. Before that scares you off, I was a little hesitant at the new age feel here too (with Rachel's "bad vibes") but it was well handled with an interesting twist. All I can say is-- things are not always what they seem...You will have to read it to find out what that means! Nick and Rachel both feel an instant attraction to each other despite the odd introduction, and as they work together on issues relating to the doll a friendship develops. The conversations that they share and the time they spend together were a beautiful way to create the intimacy between them. I loved the growing confidence and trust that they have with each other. A link is found between the doll and a missing child, and Rachel's life is at risk due to her connection to the case. Nick wants to be sure that nothing happens to her.

WOW!! What a ride! This was an incredible book. It grabbed me from the beginning and moved at a good pace toward a satisfying end. It was suspenseful with some great twists along the way. It was fun to revisit the main characters from the first two books, and the hero and heroine in In Harm's Way were strongly developed by giving us interesting glimpses into their pasts. Nick is Christian and he shares that with Rachel as he reveals his history and takes her to church. The element of faith is richly woven into this intense plot with very real conversations and a life-changing decision.

I received a free review copy from Revell in exchange for my honest review.
on April 13, 2010
Rachel Sutton is impatiently waiting for her take-out lunch at a fast-food restaurant before going back to her music classroom. On her way to her car, she sees a bright orange clump frozen in the icy snow. When her foot dislodges a chunk of ice, she finds a button eye staring up at her. Digging it out, she finds a Raggedy Ann doll, which she plans to place on the restaurant's air conditioner so the owner might find it.

Problem is, when she held the doll, she got the shakes, a racing pulse and had difficulty breathing, much like a panic attack. The doll fell from her arms, and the episode ceased. She knew she had been tense and stressed, which she couldn't seem to shake, with multiple sleepless nights for about a month.

Surely a doll couldn't cause all this. To prove it wasn't so, she picked it up again, and terror hit the pit of her stomach. Jarring, crashing sounds and a baby's cry hit her. She opened her car door and slung the doll across the seat. The symptoms stopped, leaving her with a sense of anxiety.

Rachel told her friend Marta, who thought she was crazy and told her to dump the doll. But she couldn't. She had to get it to the `right' person, so she has Marta talk to her policeman husband. He recommended the FBI, though he thought they'd think her crazy.

Meanwhile, Claudia Burnes, a St. Louis tabloid writer, was listening in on Marta's conversation with her husband at a restaurant and took notes. This could be her leap to the National Inquirer if she could connect this lead article of ESP or clairvoyance in crime fighting.

Rachel brings the doll in a bag to FBI Special Agent Nick Bradley, who seemingly listens to her, after seeing her reaction to the doll. He stumbles onto a link between a doll and an abducted child. His world and Rachel's takes on a whole new realm when Claudia's article reaches the papers. Someone wants her silenced. Why? She only found a doll. Is there a connection to the doll and the person(s) trying to silence her? Again...why?

This haunting suspense and light romance keeps you turning pages late into the night. A definite nail-biter!

This book was provided free by Revell for my honest opinion of the book. I do this for the purpose of sharing good Christian books for other to read. Thanks to Revell.
VINE VOICEon April 10, 2010
I would like to extend a heartfelt "Thank you" to Irene Hannon and her publisher for sending me a copy of "In Harm's Way" to review for them. I have always been grateful for this generosity, and I am trying to improve at being consistent in taking the time to thank these wonderfully giving individuals in a public forum. I really appreciate your time, effort and expense in making a reviewer copy available to me.

Irene Hannon's third and final installment in the Heroes of Quantico series is a gripping read. "In Harm's Way" tells the story of a young teacher who finds herself in a rather awkward position. A downward glance reveals a discoloration in the snow that she decides to dig up and turn in to the lost and found of the restaurant it is near. She releases what turns out to be a Raggedy Ann doll from her icy prison, but when she touches it, she is filled with dread. Rachel doesn't believe in psychic ability. But she's convinced that she cannot ignore the feelings she gets when she touches the doll. Taking the risk to be laughed at, Rachel takes the doll to the FBI and tells her crazy-sounding story to Nick Bradley. That's when the real adventure begins.

This novel is suspenseful and romantic and filled with excitement and surprises. The pages fly as the reader engages this roller-coaster like story through every anticipatory ascent, rapid descent, each twist and turn. This is an outstanding read that you will want to devour in as few sittings as possible. I am saddened that this is the final book in the series, but thrilled that all three novels are on my keeper shelf to be re-read again and again.