5.0 out of 5 stars What artists work with, clearly explained, October 24, 2003
"brianmclean" (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The HarperCollins Dictionary Art Terms & Techniques (Harpercollins Dictionaries) (Paperback)
There are plenty of dictionaries of artists around, in book form or on the web. Far fewer are the books to explain how fine and applied artists go about their business and define the techniques and materials artists use. This is essential knowledge for young people preparing to study art or art history, and I'd certainly recommend this book to them. But for everyone who loves paintings and other art objects, the extra technical knowledge this dictionary gives will add to the enjoyment and enlightenment gained from visiting a gallery or museum. It is an excellent introduction to a complex subject, by Ralph Mayer of Yale University School of Art, and first appeared in 1991.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition to the Personal Fine Art Library, May 29, 2011
la femme artiste (The Pacific Northwest) - See all my reviews
I am one of those people who knows beyond the shadow of a doubt that the process-centered sensual approach to creativity is coming back, without competition with technology.

As a working artist, this is a timeless resource that I am glad I finally added to my library!

Used & New from: $0.01