Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon Sixx AM Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 4, 2010
I don't need you getting any better. Dan Harrington's grasp of the game is remarkable. I learned a great deal from his tournament series, even more from his cash games books, and I learned just as much from this one.

I've only finished the first half so far, but Harrington's focus in this book seems to be the most efficient use of online tools. He briefly touches on some basics of poker, the differences between live and online, and then he delves into the world of the database.

His treatment of HUD statistics is very worthwhile for an amateur. I, like many, have Pokertracker and I like to fiddle around with the database a bit and try to get a read on my opponents. But Harrington specifically describes a number of useful statistics that can be utilized to take advantage of patterns in your opponents' pre and postflop tendencies. After adapting my HUD to Harrington's suggestions I have made a number of strong plays that I wouldn't have thought to make otherwise.

He also does a good job of correlating opponents' HUD statistics to their hand ranges and distributions. Reading Harrington 6max online really solidified a number of ideas relating to playing against hand-ranges instead of always having to worry about if he had that K or not.

He gives some really excellent suggestions on note-taking. I went from a haphazard assortment of random notes to a clean system organized by street. He also helped me discern some of the more important information to take note of. There was even a part he wrote just for me that said I shouldn't cuss out my opponents in the note box.

I highly recommend this book to any online player who isn't my opponent. Some of the ideas might be pretty basic to some of the seasoned online pros, but Harrington really laid down a comprehensive baseline from which to knowledgeably examine many of my unrecognized leaks. Seriously, I was just sitting there with VPIP, PFR, and AFQ%. I didn't even really know what the last one meant except that it was somehow related to aggression.

Also, the book stands up very well to getting soaking wet in a rainstorm. The cover is a little soggy but it's still perfectly readable. If it rains enough I'm going to see if the book may even counteract the effects of fire. It's just that good. I'm surprised the Shamwow guy isn't in here.
review image review image
44 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 22, 2010
I have read at least 50 books on Hold'Em, and this barely beats out Professional No-Limit Hold 'em: Volume I for the title of number one. While the gap between one and two might be small, the gap between 2 and 3 is large. After two disappointing volumes on live cash games, Harrington comes correct with the right way to improve your game, by practicing for small stakes online. He gives you the tools to analyze your opponents' play and exploit them if they are weak, or if they are strong, avoid being exploited yourself. Emphasis is on equity against different hand ranges depending on flop texture. The most fundamentally sound analysis anywhere, laid out clearly. Once you beat small stakes games online, you'll crush medium stakes live.
on August 29, 2010
I was blown away by this book. All of his books are good, but this one really gets into details regarding the types of games and situations you actually run into. The other books were aimed at a higher level, but this one tells you, specifically, how to beat the lower levels of play, which is where most people are going to play. Given that he probably virtually never plays at these levels, I was really impressed with his insights.
on December 22, 2010
I am a big fan of Harrington's thought process and have read all of his other books. One criticism that these other books receive now when people try to apply their lessons in today's online games is that they are outdated. Today's online games, especially 6-max are far more aggressive than full-ring live games of 3-4 years ago. As a result, adjustments need to be made, and Harrington does a good job outlining a basic foundation for solid yet aggressive play. I have played 100k+ hands at the small-stakes and have still found this a useful book for certain of its sections. For instance, the thought process behind creating and balancing 3-, 4- and 5-bet ranges was excellent in my opinion.

That being said, I wish this book covered more advanced topics in more detail and had a larger section of hands with explanations of the thought process (he does have ~ 20 at the end). If you are just starting online play or if you are struggling at the micro-stakes or trying to move up from the micro-stakes to the small-stakes, this book will give you an excellent foundation. If you are an experienced small-stakes player or better, you might get an idea or two but that's about it.
on July 18, 2011
I've read a number of poker books since I started learning to play. None taught me more than the Harrington books. The tournament strategy books are the best there are for learning the fundamentals of tournament play. This book does for cash games what those do for tournaments.

I've heard many poker players say that, since the Harrington books are so widely read, the strategy is no longer effective. While that may or may not be true, the concepts outlined in the books are fundamental to understanding how to play. While the tournament books do emphasize the tight aggressive style, he does acknowledge other styles, and understanding the basics taught in the books makes it easier to make adjustments in one's personal playing style.

It's also interesting to note that, while the tournament books emphasize playing tight, the cash game books emphasize playing loose. It's important to understand the reasoning behind this, and the books do a very good job of explaining it.
on March 14, 2013
I'm not a poker expert and I was looking at introductory level texts to advance in the game and learn how to think about hands and strategy. This book is exactly what I was looking for.

It assumes only that you know the rules of the game and starts teaching basic analytical skills (odds, bet sizing, pre flop ranges, etc.). It then progressess to a more detailed break down of the game and talks about board textures, range equity calculations, types of players, etc. This is all basic and probably present in all good introductory poker books but I found Harrington to be very able at making concepts clear and at teaching not just the numbers but what they mean and how to get at them, in essence how to think and reason about poker, which is what the success in the game's about.

The later parts of the book tackle the online aspect: a good rundown of how to use HUDs and an in depth exploration of the type of game and players in different stakes levels (micro, small, medium, high), which I found very useful. I also loved the section with practical problems and hand situations to analyze based on play and HUD statistics.

I fully recommend this book for anyone who wants to improve online poker playing.
on February 16, 2011
I've read alot of poker books and have been playing a while. I knew alot that was already in this book however it made me look at thing a bit differently. Its a great book and a must for any online player. You can use the tools in the book for full ring game as well. Great book.
on September 5, 2015
This book is very informative, if you are new to poker you NEED to read this book. If you are already playing online and haven't read this book do it because probably all the people you're playing with already did. It has some very basic info that you can skip if you've played before, but I like the ideas in setting your HUD and how to learn to read HUDS and use it when you're playing.
on July 26, 2010
Wow, so much information to digest. I read it all the way through once and just like reading the Bible you cant learn everything it is trying to teach you without careful study and dedication. So many times I came across passages that made me say,"I never thought of that before", or "Now I see why I've been losing money playing that way". I plan to get a study group together with a couple of friends and go through the book slowly together and learn the mysteries this book has to offer. Mr. Harrington has written another game changing book that will I'm sure have an impact on how online 6-max will be played be prepared for the games to get much harder just like his tournament series changed tournament poker forever.
on April 15, 2015
This is an incredible masterpiece. I've read the entire book two or three times.
Dan is really really smart. I mean, he is really really smart. Really really. Everything you need to know about 6-max
no limit poker is here. But, perfection is not easy. We give this masterpiece a 99 out of 100. You need
to buy it and read it over and over again. But perfection is not easy. I really don't want to criticize this book or
the Bible. But both have flaws. God did not create the world. I did. And Bill Vosti's book on 6-max is better.
Why? Dan leaves out a calling range for beginners. And he doesn't tell you when to
raise in the big blind. Bill Vosti's book on 6-max tells you how to do that as well. And there is also one more thing.
Dan insists on wearing a stupid baseball cap wherever he plays poker. He's almost 70. He needs to grow up.
Thank you.