5.0 out of 5 stars I have always loved Harry the Dirty Dog!
Published on September 27, 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Ella
I love Harry, just wasn't pleased with being a soft cover,,maybe my mistake, next time I ordering I will make sure it is a hardback..no other problems...
Published 9 months ago by EllaFaye

5.0 out of 5 stars I have always loved Harry the Dirty Dog!, September 27, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Hardcover)
I am an elementary school librarian in WV and each year I always anticipate the reading of Harry the Dirty Dog and the other Harry books to my students. They are always captivated with the stories of Harry and sit enthralled as I read to them. Often students request a reread of the Harry books throughout the school year. The Harry books become some of the most frequently checked out books after the children have heard the stories. We are hooked on Harry the Dirty Dog!! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet dog, sweet family, sweet story, July 4, 2000
I love the Harry the Dirty Dog series! A great story for kids and adults who like to read a good children's book.
Harry is an adorable white dog with black spots (as is repeated throughout all of the Harry books)... and he's always getting dirty. His entire family loves him and he loves them right back. Even when he's dirty, Harry is still family... which makes a great parable for parents explaining to their children that while they may not be happy when their kids mess up, they are still loved nonetheless.
The illustrations of this happy dog frolicking around are absolutely precious. The story is endearing and I have my copy sitting on my coffee table.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 22-month old loves it!, February 22, 2010
Andrea Z (Milwaukee, WI) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog Board Book (Board book)
This is a book that will grow along with my son. Some of the story line is difficult to understand, but my son gets the basic concept. Right now, he loves to point out all of the different elements on each page: a train! a car! a boy! As he ages, the book will begin to take on more meaning.

The book is about a dog who does not want to take a bath, so instead he runs out the door and finds mischief while playing around in town. He starts to get hungry and lonely and finds his way back home, but the family doesn't recognize him because he's so dirty. He used to be a white dog with black spots, but now he's a black dog with white spots.

This is a classic children's book and one that I'm so glad we have in our home library. It's really a must. The size is just right and the book is quite sturdy for the adventurous toddler grip.

We even found the companion DVD and I'm amazed at how the animation only enhances the story, not over powers it. It's animation style is a direct link to the book. We love it!

Harry the Dirty Dog... and More Playful Puppy Stories (Scholastic Storybook Treasures)

5.0 out of 5 stars A childhood favorite, April 26, 2000
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Paperback)
I adored this book as a child and I still have my original copy of "Harry the Dirty Dog" packed away in my parents' attic. Not only did I empathize with Harry because as I child I hated baths as much as Harry does, but I also knew that even when I was at my filthiest, way down deep inside, I was still loved.
I have a very dirty dog at home who is in desperate need of a "fur cut". He reminds me of Harry because he's completely unrecognizable. However, no matter how furry he gets, we'll still love him, just like Harry's owners love him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry the Dirty Dog is the best book I ever read as a child, April 24, 1998
By A Customer
Browsing through the internet, I found Harry the Dirty Dog. Harry was my favorite book as a child. I am 35 years old now, and I have rarely read anything that makes you feel this good. Harry is a great Dog. He made me feel loved, and I still like the way he hid his scrub brush under his favorite pillow. I still remember in vivid detail, the pictures of when he slid down the cole shoot and changed from a white dog with black spots to a black dog with white spots. I still love Harry. In fact, I'll stop by the local book store on my way home and buy my niece a new copy. ( Believe it or not, I have Harry the Dirty Dog packed with the rest of my old College Text Books ). I still love you Harry.

5.0 out of 5 stars A CHILDHOOD CLASSIC, November 17, 2005
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Hardcover)
Harry the Dirty Dog is the quintessential children's book for young readers. With its eye- appealing illustrations and simple text, it is the perfect transition from guided reading to independent reading. A delightful trip back to the 50's (sans the conservative vibe and racial/ misogynistic stereotypes of the time), Harry the Dirty Dog is the story of a little dog who is so opposed to getting a bath that he takes matters into his own hands... Er, paws? Harry buries his scrubbing brush in the back yard and takes off from home. While he has a day full of fun adventures, Harry not only gets himself dirtier, but also realizes that while he doesn't like taking a bath, there are many things about his family that he misses.

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable, September 10, 2005
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Hardcover)
This is one of many children's books that was listed on my Kindergartener's must read list for school. We read it every night at bedtime. He thinks Harry is very clever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A DOG'S GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS, January 2, 2001
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Paperback)
Harry the Dirty Dog is a timeless classic for children (and their parents). Such a simple story: - a white dog with black spots becomes a black dog with white spots after a day's romp, followed by a temporary identity crisis.
Harry is one of those children's books where the story and the pictures mesh perfectly. The home-life and street scenes that Harry experiences are straight form the wholesome 1950's. Springtime daffodils are everywhere. In fact the green and golden colors are the only two colors that were on the illustrators palette. The pictures by Margaret Bloy Graham are at least half the charm of the book.
The drawings of Harry's family, their house and neighbourhood couldn't be simpler. The magic of this drawing style shines through when you see how she has captured the smiles and gasps on their faces.
All dog lovers know how dogs can smile. After Harry's homecoming, his bath (and hard scrub), and dinner we see Harry with the biggest doggy smile, you have ever seen.
This book will sure to be around and enjoyed by children for another 50 years.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harry the Dirty Dog, September 2, 2005
Cary L. Lobel (Newport Beach, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Hardcover)
This is a cute little book and my son found the adventures of Harry to be hilarious. The humor is appropriate for four year olds and younger children and I believe all children love dogs. We recently purchased the other Harry books as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry is a lucky name in literature, ain't it?, May 7, 2008
This review is from: Harry the Dirty Dog (Paperback)
I absolutely adored this book when I was little, so of course I was pleased when one of my first graders picked it up at the school library and beged me to read it for our class read-aloud this afternoon. Since we have recently discussed thinking about characters' emotions as we read, this was a perfect exercise--the text never actually says just what the cute little dog Harry is feeling during his adventure of getting dirty. And if you think about it, his tale is quite poignant. Anway, comprehension lessons aside, my kids were glued to the story and we had a great discussion afterwards. The writing is brisk and fun and subtle, leaving plenty to the readers' assumptions. The black and white pictures are adorable, detailed, and full of expression. Really, not many people write like this anymore.

Harry the Dirty Dog Board Book
Harry the Dirty Dog Board Book by Gene Zion (Board book - January 24, 2006)
$7.99 $7.19