Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Ed Sheeran egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

Platform: PlayStation 3Change

on July 14, 2011
I loathed Part 1 with a passion. The controls were clunky and largely unresponsive, the graphics, save for a few character models, were muddy and poorly textured, and the gameplay was rudimentary at best with ridiculous and repetitious side missions that did nothing more than to give the player the illusion it was more varied than it really was. Well a year has passed since that last disaster and I have to say that EA has largely corrected the nagging issues I had with the first game.

One major gripe I had with Part 1 was the unresponsiveness of the controls when trying to take cover and how I would sometimes get hit with spells regardless if I was behind cover. The controls in Part 2 overall feel tighter. If you see an object you want to duck behind, you're most likely going to be able to without issue. The spell cast system has also been updated. Gone is the cumbersome weapon wheel. Not only did it distract from the action, it was overall pointless given that Stupefy was the only practical spell to use against enemies. Now you can switch in between spells with the click of a button which really opens up combat since it allows you to easily cast one-two combos at your foes. The game also encourages you to try different spells given the situation. For instance, Stupefy is good for short ranged enemies while horrible for enemies that are across the map. Expelliarmus helps to break an enemy's Protego shield so you can then finish him or her off with an Expulso spell which shoots rapid fire orbs. The aiming reticule has also been polished. In Part 1, it tended not to stick on enemies in crucial moments. In Part 2, not only does it stick, it forces you not to spam the trigger button as doing so leads to erratic shooting. It's best to measure your shots so you'll know they're going to hit. Overall, I liked the combat. The fights were hectic with spells shooting over my head from all directions. At moments, I had to remind myself that there was no reload button as I took out Death Eaters coming from my right and my left while dug deep behind a wall.

Gameplay has also improved. There are no more pointless side quests or stealth missions that took away from the focus of the main narrative. Part 2 is strictly a linear affair with you plodding from checkpoint to checkpoint to progress the story along. The graphics seem much crisper this time around with more open and varied environments and impressive lighting. I liked how the game allowed you to play as different characters during the second half of the game. Granted, the mechanics are the same, yet it was a nice and welcomed variation. As a fan of the book, I was happy to be playing from different perspectives during the Battle of Hogwarts. The battle was a team affair with many heroes, not just Harry.

Now with the good, comes some of the bad. As much as I enjoyed the combat, it's basically the equivalent of whack-a-mole: Duck behind cover, wait till the enemy pokes out his or her head, and then shoot. There is very little variation to it as well. You either walk into a section of the map which triggers a slew of enemies to come charging out or you have to protect Hermione's backside as she tries to open a door. Not until the ending chapters which includes a fun chase sequence involving Harry and Professor McGonagall fighting a giant, etc., does the monotony break up a little bit. The game is also mercilessly short, about 4 hours and some change, for a $50 game with little replay value other than to boost your online rankings in some challenges which can be found in the main menu.

I'll never know why the last game of such a fantastic series of books and movies was more of a whimper than a grandiose send off. Part 2 is a lot better than Part 1, yet it still feels like a budget title. Though the movies have exceeded expectations, the last four or five games released by EA have been nothing more than decent to poor. Was this due to budgetary cuts or is it really as they say, difficult to produce a quality game based on a movie? Regardless, this may very well be the last Harry Potter game that we will see for quite some time (save Lego Harry Potter Years 5-7) and despite not living up to the source material, they have been a part of my Harry Potter universe as much as the movies, cups, t-shirts, key chains and action figures were. In the end, we can hope that a different developer can give this property the imagination and care it deserves.
on September 6, 2011
I have owned and played every Harry Potter game except the one about Quidditch. I even have the Lego Harry Potter game on console and PSP. I am a huge Potter fan.

This game is not very good. I know they tried, but EA Bright Light has failed, failed, failed on every HP game since Prisoner of Azkaban. Goblet of Fire was ok, but it was the transition into failure. I know where they went wrong. They concentrated on making a movie-based game rather than capturing the heart and magic of Harry Potter. This last game, DH2, is a shooter. A shooter for Wizards. A cover-based shooter. It's one protracted fight scene after another. Boring, repetitive, on rails. DH1 was also a shooter, but it was a little more fun than DH2. I played this game with the Move, and I did like that aspect.

Only because I'm a big Potter fan did I give it a generous 3 star. I do not recommend this game to anyone.
on April 4, 2012
I will begin this review by stating that the first video game I ever purchased myself was Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets for the original PlayStation. I absolutely loved it! Granted, I was 11 when the game was released and, so, more easily amused. But what was fantastic about the first three Harry Potter video games was the amount of exploration available to the player and the puzzle-solving platforms. You could really get to know the world of Harry Potter as well as get your mind working to solve a few problems. "Deathly Hallows Part II", however, is an excuse for the makers to use formulaic battle scenes to try and fit into a single story. I was disappointed and frustrated that the game was simply a repeat in every battle I took part in.

Even if you are a Harry Potter fan and want to "experience" everything the franchise has to offer, do not attempt to waste your money.
on July 14, 2011
I finished way to fast... I am going to have to replay it on a harder level. The basic was a tad too easy. I finished the whole game with about 6 deaths and it took maybe 5 hours to beat if not less. So, if you are really good at games I would suggest playing on a harder level. Overall I would say buy this game. Its better than Part 1.
on January 6, 2014
I hated the Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1 PS3 Game. But Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 PS3 is way better. I enjoyed myself much better, had more meaning and easier instructions on what was going on than in the first one. It still had a lack of what to do on a few parts of the game but not as much.

On the HP7P1 I couldn't even finish the game without being pissed off, with this one I didn't get flustered as much. I took one star off the rating for the little lack of communication. Overall, it is a much better game than the first.
on October 24, 2012
Once and awhile in the past, I would succumb to the guilty pleasure of wanting to play a video game based on this great series of books and movies. That pleasure would be short lived immediately when you realized that the game consisted of little "cute" mini-games that had no bearing on the movie or the book it had chosen to represent, and came off feeling that it was meant for a much younger crowd.

As the movies/books got darker and more mature, so did the games in their own way if not completely. While I did NOT have a chance to play Deathly Hallows Part 1, this is, as much as I can tell, the best that this series has to offer. The game has taken over a "run and gun" sort of feel, complete with an aiming reticule, quick spell selection, and a system of shooting/casting and cover that is reminiscent of Gears of War.

Had this been made from a different company that did not have to stick so close to licencing, this might have made for a pretty awesome stand alone game. But being what it is, and having to abide rules and limitations, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 rather falls flat, much like earlier titles. The fighting is repetitive, the AI characters and enemies are very robotic and poorly programmed, and the controls are very stiff and choppy, despite the sped up tempo of the game. The voice acting is quite good for the 3 main stars Harry, Ron, and Hermoine...but you get the feeling that they just stopped trying with everyone else.

Mostly, I just feel that this game could have been more impressive and enjoyable if it wasn't trying so hard to be literal (to the film), and if the budget had been bigger. I don't have any knowledge of what goes into making a video game, but perhaps there is a connection why movie-licensed games tend to always be so cheap and dissappointing. Still, they tried.
on January 4, 2013
* Stunning graphics
* Great Character movement
* Fun boss enemies
* The characters in the game sound like the real actors themselves.
* Multiple spells available
* Many playable characters such as Harry, Ron, Hermione, etc.
* Game follows the story of the book and movie well
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2

* Repetitive battle
* poor enemies (not the bosses)
* you cannot skip the cutscenes (some are very long)

The video game starts out at Gringotts where Harry and Griphook are under the invisibility cloak and Ron and Hermione are disguised. Then you have to shoot guards and random enemies with your only spell you can use in the beginning of the game. The beginning starts out slow but it starts getting fun in the third level. In the third level you have to play as mogonogal and fight professor Snape. Mogonogal gameplay is very fun because she is powerful and has a variety of spells. The graphics in the game are Amazing! The characters look very realistic. The voices could be a little better but they are still pretty Amazing. The characters movement is realistic and sharp. If you are a Potter fan and like video games you will live this video game!
on October 26, 2012
Great game and very fun. My two kids enjoy it very much. They are playing all day. It is quite different. I am very pleased thet I bought it.
on August 5, 2012
I rarely get video games based on movies. They never seem to work. The controls are undefined, the side quests are a waste of time and you end up feeling cheated afterwise realizing you just gave up your free time on it. Although the game mechanics seemed to work the game play seemed repetitive. When a death eater comes around kids remember, "duck and cover". That is what this game was duck, cover, point, shoot, duck, cover, point shoot. I rented this game with the intent to buy it if it anyone enjoyed it, and nah not one person asked to finish the game. I couldnt bring myself to beat this game, not because it was remotly difficult, but because I gave up waiting for the game to feel different. For a house full of Potter fans of all ages, not one of us was taken by the game. It is now in the mail heading to be collected by gamefly and will not become part of the family libary. I do not recommend purchase until you try it yourself.
on November 17, 2012
I beat this game within four hours. Seemed to be a lot shorter and less difficult than part one. What I hated the most about the game was while in a major battle words would pop up on the screen to tell you a sequence of buttons to use to kill the enemy, needless to say I did die while trying to read the stupid words, you can not pause the game and read because the words disappear quickly. The battles were constantly the same throughout the entire game. For future EA games put all of the instructions in the manual booklet do not make us read while in a fierce battle trying to survive.