1,348 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd details
Since I had to look elsewhere for DVD details (to decide whether to buy the 2-disc or one-disc film), I thought I'd post here:

1-Disc Wide screen and Full Screen DVD

*Includes both a wide screen and full screen version of the film.
*No special features
*RRP $28.98
2-Disc Digital Copy Special Edition DVD

*Widescreen version...
Published on November 26, 2009 by M. Potter

2.0 out of 5 stars So sad, so... very... sad.
First. please let me say that I adore (nay, worship) the Harry Potter stories. So, being a gen-you-wine "Potter-Head" I was first in line to see Half-Blood Prince.

It was an interesting movie. Nice special effects.
Disjointed enough however that one MUST have seen all the previous movies and/or read the books to follow the plot.

...Most...
Published on October 29, 2009 by Geoff

5.0 out of 5 stars dvd details, November 26, 2009

1-Disc Wide screen and Full Screen DVD

*Includes both a wide screen and full screen version of the film.
*No special features
*RRP $28.98
2-Disc Digital Copy Special Edition DVD

*Widescreen version only
*Additional scenes (6:31)
*Close-Up with the Cast and Crew of Harry Potter special. Matthew Lewis ("Neville Longbottom") and Alfred Enoch ("Dean Thomas") lead us on an entertaining look at the cast of Harry Potter as they explore their interests away from acting and spend a day on set with the production team (28:30)
*J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life: A fascinating and intimate look into the life of J.K. Rowling over the last year of writing "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows." (49:32)
*One Minute Drills: The cast has 60 seconds to describe their character's personality, history, relationships and other traits before time runs out (6:43)
*What's On Your Mind: Hosted by Tom Felton, the cast is put on the spot when asked a series of rapid-fire questions on their likes and dislikes. (6:41)
*Universal's "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" Sneak Peek: Get an "inside look" at the amazing world of magic and excitement being created at Universal Orlando® Resort in Florida (11:38)
*Digital Copy of the theatrical film (2nd disc)
*RRP $34.99

I can't believe the negative reviews. I read the book and thought the filmmakers did a fantastic job with it. Anyone who wants a film to be an exact replica of any book should do themselves a favor and just read the book again. Am looking forward to enjoying it again (and again) on DVD.

2.0 out of 5 stars So sad, so... very... sad., October 29, 2009
Geoff (Connecticut snob, temporarily on loan to South Carolina) - See all my reviews

It was an interesting movie. Nice special effects.

...Most importantly, it bears little resemblance to the Harry Potter books!!!

Really. I can forgive replacing the actions of one character with another character, to save time, I can even forgive eliminating whole chapters for the sake of brevity, but to change scenes, edit whole parts, and invent whole chapters???

Beware, below, there be SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't watched!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some examples of lost scenes:

-Dumbledore confronting the Dursley's? Gone.
-The invention of a fight at the burrow, including the destruction of the whole house? Really? Where's Bill & Fleur going to get married next movie? (Oh that's right, in the movies, they AREN'T! Heck, they aren't even in -this- movie!)
-The "Meeting of the Ministers" scene? Gone. Heck there's absolutely NO sign of Scrimgeour -anywhere- in the whole movie!
-Tonks rescuing Harry from the train? Nope, now it's Luna, looking for Wrackspurts, and removing Harry's invisibility cloak with her wand. (As A Deathly Hallow, it should be immune to summoning and/or levitation charms.)
-The slow build up leading to the Quiddich victory kiss? Gone. Now just a "close your eyes" peck in the Room of Requirement, and this was done horribly!!
-The two months of Harry & Ginny dating? Gone.
-Harry breaking up with Ginny to protect her? Gone!
-Harry's ownership of Grimmauld Place and Kreacher? (Key for the next movie) Gone.
-The Gaunt house flash-backs? Both gone. And with them any mention of Merope, Voldemort's mother. Gone too the mention of her locket by Caractacus Burke.
-The memories of Hokey the house elf, and of Dumbledore's job interview with Voldemort? (Key for the next movie) Gone. In fact, all references to the valuable heirlooms such as Hufflepuff's cup are gone.
-Crabb & Goyle polyjuiceing into girls to stand watch? (would have been funny, but...) Gone.
-Snapes "Defense Against the Dark Arts" lessons? Gone.
-Apparition lessons and test? Gone.
-Hermione & Ron's Prefect status? (Well, since it wasn't mentioned LAST film, why mention it now?)
-Harry's appointment as Quiddich captain? (Not mentioned, only implied during the tryouts)
-Mundungus stealing Sirius' property? (KEY for the next movie) Gone.
-Snap's betrayal of Trelawney's prophecy to Voldemort? (HUGE!) Gone!!!
-Harry petrified by Dumbledoor to protect him? GONE!
-The Hogwarts battle between Death Eaters and Order members? (and Bill's disfigurement?) GONE!!
-Dumbledore's funeral? GONE!!!!

...oh sure, we'll probably get to see a few of the minor bits I've mentioned in the "deleted scenes" portion of the "Deluxe" version of the DVD, but for this screen version, We get such useless add-on scenes as:
-All the trees around the burrow (HP 2/the flying car shot) have been cut down and replaced by a marsh?
-Harry wandering the underground, and chatting up a waitress??
-The aforementioned Burrow fight and subsequent burning??

Not to mention, Harry NOT petrified, but willingly hiding and watching Dumbledore's assassination? (Does anyone besides me see how that fundamentally would change Harry's view of himself?) Yeash!

And WHAT the heck was up with Jessie Cave/Lavender Brown? Worst acting since Brother Sun/Sister Moon! They tested 7000 girls, and they picked a 2nd rate ham? In fact, they tested using the hospital scene, which was single-handedly the worst scene she did in the film!

Ok, ok, on the positive side, the Quidditch tryouts and match were well done, and Dumbledore and Harry's apparition is depicted quite well.

All in all, I am happy they are making Harry Potter movies, but they are -nothing- compared to the books, and THIS one should be prefaced with "Loosely based on the novel by J. K. Rowling"!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't Buy This Edition. Great Film, but Not the Extended Version!, March 21, 2011
Warner Brothers is trying to fool us again - calling this an "Ultimate Edition" when it is NOT the extended version of the film. It comes with behind the scenes extras and commentaries, but the movie itself is the same! I expect this is because they decided after the first 2 Ultimate Editions that they would wait and re-release all 8 movies at once in another Ultimate Edition, but this time a Box Set with extended versions of all films - to entice everyone to buy all the movies yet again. Hold off for now and watch your DVD copies - next year we can all buy the REAL Ultimate Editions!

1.0 out of 5 stars Dark Half-blood Prince, January 27, 2010
This DVD was so dark in parts that I felt I was looking at a blank screen, I know the subject matter was dark but it would have been nice to see what was going on. The other Harry Potter DVD's managed to convey the dread felt by Harry without such gloomy film. The producer and director obviously tried the old way of Film Noir and it just was annoying. I hope the last Harry Potter will be more visible.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good production at all, December 10, 2009
OK, so you can't really make a movie too much like the book, not enought time, etc. But it feels like they didn't really even try this time. So many important parts of the book were just completely missing.
I understand cutting out things like the funeral. This series is really going into a depressing area, and it really doesn't come out of it until the very end. I think that JKR took a poor path when she darkened the story further than she really needed to. But this movies bent even further in that direction with pretty much the entire production soaked in sepia toned depression, and the morose tone overshadowing the few remaining exciting parts.
I would not reccommend that anyone buy this movie. Staring at a wall is less depressing.

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawn, December 28, 2009
How very disappointing. HPaTH-BP is a very slow movie with very little by way of character or story development. Very little actually happens. Basically, it's setting things up for the final film. The film was dark (visually, I mean) and, now that the kids are no longer young and cute, we're left with the fact that they're not very good actors. This installment comes nowhere near the quality of the last film. I guess that, like me, if you've already committed to the series, you're going to watch it regardless, just don't pay full price for this; it's not worth it.

Not recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, December 14, 2009
This is my second favorite of the Harry Potter books, but my absolute least favorite of the movies, by far.
Acting was stilted. Too many story changes. No "magic" at all felt during the movie. I know it should be dark because of the story line, but the director and whoever wrote the screenplay totally ruined it for me.

At the end of the book, when Severus yells at Harry... "don't call me coward!" That is a climactic moment and it was completely left out of the movie!
The whole backstory of Voldemorts mother and childhood are left out.

If it was too much movie for one book, then pick up the pace. It totally dragged. I will not watch it again.

If this same director is doing the next two movies, I won't bother seeing them. I would give the movie ZERO stars if I could.

3.0 out of 5 stars As the books get more complex the movies get worse...., July 18, 2009
I am a huge fan of the Harry Potter series and I think they have done a great job with the movies so far, however I always think the book version is better than any movie version. I went to see this with two people who had not read the book so I was interested to see how well were able to understand what was going on without the background. I also re-read the book a couple of weeks ago to refresh my own memory.

A few observations:

- I was disappointed that they started the movie off with a scene that never happened in the book; Harry in a cafe.
- I had been waiting to see how they handled the meeting and conversation between the Muggle prime minister and the minister of Magic but they skipped that part completely.
- the movie Harry never really mentioned Dumbledore's hand and neither did anyone else for that matter. In the book it was a matter of gossip among all of the students.
- they skipped the first memory that explained Tom Riddle's witch mother and muggle father, how poor and proud they were and the significance of the both the ring and the locket.
- they skipped later memories that explained how Tom Riddle ended up with the ring and the locket.
- Bill and Fleur were both completely missing
- Dobby and Kreacher were both completely missing
- The battle at Hogwarts when the Death Eaters came in was missing
- they left out the whole funeral scene where everyone came to see Dumbledore off; even the mermaid people showed their respect.
- I have no idea why they stuck in the scene where Harry and Ginny were running through the cornfield and Bella burned the Burrows. That did not happen in the book; in fact the Burrows was well protected.

To me these are some of the important scenes that were left out. My friends had a hard time understanding what was going on. I am glad I re read the book recently or I might have had a bit of trouble following it since they seemed to leave so much out.

On the other hand the special effects were great and I have to give credit, coming up with all of the creative things that JK Rowling comes up with for the books has got to be a challenge.

I think the actors all did a pretty good job. The actor playing Malfoy did a fine job of showing his angst about the job he had to do however the whole story about the two vanishing cabinets being connected was fuzzy. They did a great job on the scene where Harry finally got the memory from Slughorn but then they followed it pretty closely from the book. I loved how positive and upbeat Harry was after he had drank the liquid luck.

I gave this three stars because they left so much that was vital out and added a couple of things that were completely unnecessary. There was much to like however. I think this movie would have been better if they had made it in two parts as they are planning to do with the last one. Books 5, 6 & 7 just have so much information that one 2 hour+ movie simply cannot do them justice.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am SO disappointed!, December 16, 2009
This review is from: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have waited to see the movie and so had such high hopes, wonderful as previous movie adaptations of JK Rowlings books have been, and this purchase was a major disappointment! The movie makers added things NOT found in the book, which alter the events for the future movies, and they left out so many details and points which also changed the movie from the book.

Some changes are expected, the first two movies in this series were masterfully transfered from print to screen. The others adequately. THIS was terrible!

Not only am I unhappy with the changes they made between book and movie, the production values are awful. I've played blu-ray on my system and this blu-ray simply lacked in every way. Not satisfying, not good, not pleasing in any way.

I simply feel that this movie wasted my time and money. I expected a reasonable film, expected things to be darker and stranger, but I did expect a blu-ray to have a better picture than an old VHS tape!!

BAD JOB.

1.0 out of 5 stars crummy movie, September 4, 2010
i received this movie last week. tried to watch it last night. the acting is crummy and the movie was so dark you could not make out what was happening. i have read all the harry potter books and think they are terrific. i also have all the other movies and they are very good. why would they release such a crummy movie?

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince [Blu-ray]