Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 109 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on October 29, 2009
First. please let me say that I adore (nay, worship) the Harry Potter stories. So, being a gen-you-wine "Potter-Head" I was first in line to see Half-Blood Prince.

It was an interesting movie. Nice special effects.
Disjointed enough however that one MUST have seen all the previous movies and/or read the books to follow the plot.

...Most importantly, it bears little resemblance to the Harry Potter books!!!

Really. I can forgive replacing the actions of one character with another character, to save time, I can even forgive eliminating whole chapters for the sake of brevity, but to change scenes, edit whole parts, and invent whole chapters???

Beware, below, there be SPOILERS! Don't read if you haven't watched!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some examples of lost scenes:

-Dumbledore confronting the Dursley's? Gone.
-The invention of a fight at the burrow, including the destruction of the whole house? Really? Where's Bill & Fleur going to get married next movie? (Oh that's right, in the movies, they AREN'T! Heck, they aren't even in -this- movie!)
-The "Meeting of the Ministers" scene? Gone. Heck there's absolutely NO sign of Scrimgeour -anywhere- in the whole movie!
-Tonks rescuing Harry from the train? Nope, now it's Luna, looking for Wrackspurts, and removing Harry's invisibility cloak with her wand. (As A Deathly Hallow, it should be immune to summoning and/or levitation charms.)
-The slow build up leading to the Quiddich victory kiss? Gone. Now just a "close your eyes" peck in the Room of Requirement, and this was done horribly!!
-The two months of Harry & Ginny dating? Gone.
-Harry breaking up with Ginny to protect her? Gone!
-Harry's ownership of Grimmauld Place and Kreacher? (Key for the next movie) Gone.
-The Gaunt house flash-backs? Both gone. And with them any mention of Merope, Voldemort's mother. Gone too the mention of her locket by Caractacus Burke.
-The memories of Hokey the house elf, and of Dumbledore's job interview with Voldemort? (Key for the next movie) Gone. In fact, all references to the valuable heirlooms such as Hufflepuff's cup are gone.
-Crabb & Goyle polyjuiceing into girls to stand watch? (would have been funny, but...) Gone.
-Snapes "Defense Against the Dark Arts" lessons? Gone.
-Apparition lessons and test? Gone.
-Hermione & Ron's Prefect status? (Well, since it wasn't mentioned LAST film, why mention it now?)
-Harry's appointment as Quiddich captain? (Not mentioned, only implied during the tryouts)
-Mundungus stealing Sirius' property? (KEY for the next movie) Gone.
-Snap's betrayal of Trelawney's prophecy to Voldemort? (HUGE!) Gone!!!
-Harry petrified by Dumbledoor to protect him? GONE!
-The Hogwarts battle between Death Eaters and Order members? (and Bill's disfigurement?) GONE!!
-Dumbledore's funeral? GONE!!!!

...oh sure, we'll probably get to see a few of the minor bits I've mentioned in the "deleted scenes" portion of the "Deluxe" version of the DVD, but for this screen version, We get such useless add-on scenes as:
-All the trees around the burrow (HP 2/the flying car shot) have been cut down and replaced by a marsh?
-Harry wandering the underground, and chatting up a waitress??
-The aforementioned Burrow fight and subsequent burning??

Not to mention, Harry NOT petrified, but willingly hiding and watching Dumbledore's assassination? (Does anyone besides me see how that fundamentally would change Harry's view of himself?) Yeash!

And WHAT the heck was up with Jessie Cave/Lavender Brown? Worst acting since Brother Sun/Sister Moon! They tested 7000 girls, and they picked a 2nd rate ham? In fact, they tested using the hospital scene, which was single-handedly the worst scene she did in the film!

Ok, ok, on the positive side, the Quidditch tryouts and match were well done, and Dumbledore and Harry's apparition is depicted quite well.

All in all, I am happy they are making Harry Potter movies, but they are -nothing- compared to the books, and THIS one should be prefaced with "Loosely based on the novel by J. K. Rowling"!!
218218 comments|750 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 19, 2010
This should be called "A very loose translation of a story associated with the book Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince"

I really enjoyed the Harry Potter books, and the audio books(with Jim Dale Narrating) even more. This movie, as well as the previous ones, are simply an attempt by some screenwriter to get his name up in shining lights. The story is quite different from the books. I realize that much has to be cut from the books in order to make it into a reasonable length movie, but there are many parts in the movie that were changed, as if for no other reason but that the screenwriter could get away with it.
For instance:

The beginning of this movie has Harry in a local shop, (not in the book) and has cut out any reference to #4 Privit Dr. This opening could have been done much better in the time allotted. Quite frankly the beginning of the book is the funniest part in the the whole book.

The train ride to Hogwarts is changed considerably, with no real apparent reason to do so. This whole section has been reduced to garbage.

The book has Tonks finding Harry on the train, but the movie has Luna Lovegood doing it. Since Tonks is not cut entirely from the movie, this really doesn't make any sense.

The Burrow is burned to the ground in the movie, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the book. Stupid.

All of the battle at Hogwarts has been cut.

The part in the tower bothers me the most I would say. The book has Harry immobilized through this whole part, unable to do or say anything. The movie however, has Harry just standing there, while Snape and Draco do their thing. Absolutely stupid. It really goes against what Harry's character is all about.

It seems that none of the students are now required to wear robes. They are all running around in either suits, or jeans and a tee shirt.

None of these changes needed to be made, really. It wouldn't make one bit of difference as far as time or money. It is a dreadful shredding of what is one of the better books in the series, and the changes really just serve to deaden the story line, and set up another two dreadful movies to come. I will not be paying to see those in the theater for sure.

Foolish screenwriters. What a waste. The movies keep getting worse and worse.

The acting has gotten, if anything, worse in Radcliff's case. He always has a stupid grin on his face, as if he finds the whole thing very funny. As he is supposed to be in some very dire circumstances in this movie, it really just ruins the effect completely.

I did like Rupert Grint's handling of Ron's character. I thought he nailed it.

What bothers me the most, is that all the young fans that made Rowling rich, are expecting a decent representation of the the books put into film. They are all so excited to see these films. Instead what they get is a great disappointment.
on December 15, 2009
I was looking forward to this movie despite the previous one being terrible. When the movie was over I got the impression they were more worried about who wants to go out with who and then had periodic flashes of "Oh yeah, evil guy wants to kill us."

This movie could have been better and toned down on the love stuff, there at war not on a dating game. I hope Deathly Hollows is better because right now the best one so far is "Goblet of Fire."

So if you a Potter Fan, rent before you buy!
on November 29, 2011
I just received this item two hours ago and now it's back in the mail because it's the French/Canadian version and not the American/Canadian/English version. I needed to know if it didn't have English subtitles because had I known this I would've ordered another one because I need the English subtitles, all it had was French, nothing else.

It is the two-disc version as advertised but other than that it's completely useless to me which is why Mr. Brown has it back for return delivery.

I've reordered another one and according to this website it does have English subtitles along with French and Spanish, I'll have to wait and see until tomorrow when it arrives, this is great because my fiancee has hearing problems and English subtitles fixes that problem.

Hopefully the UPS guy gives me more than two seconds to get to the door; he/she acted like a hunted animal by ringing the doorbell, dropping the package at the door, and getting away like he just robbed a bank!

The two-star rating is for the lack of English subtitles and not the movie/dvd/packing, .etc. The movie is 5-star without a problem.
on July 13, 2011
After the extended cuts presented in volumes 1 and 2 of the ultimate edition releases (which are indeed the only reasons I began collecting the ultimate editions), volumes three to six are incredibly disappointing. If you do not own the films, or do not own them on blu-ray, the ultimate editions may be worth purchasing and for this I am giving it an extra star beyond the first. However, the precedent set in the first 2 releases leaves this one so incredibly disappointing that I feel I was cheated out of my money when I ordered volumes 3-6 to watch before the DH2 premiere.
on April 18, 2011
Beware when buying this product! I bought it specifically for the digital copy. What the product description does not tell you is that the code used to redeem or download your digital copy expired in 2010! So, if you just want the movie, fine, but if you want the digital copy, don't waste your money!
on June 28, 2014
When I ordered this, I naturally thought it would be as advertised. Single disc full screen in English. It did come in English but also has a Spanish version that's actually printed on the cover too. Although there's really no harm in having the Spanish version on it too, I just wasn't expecting it to be printed on the cover and to have that extra writing on there. There was also a huge scratch across the front cover. Disappointed.
on February 6, 2013
though it seemed to represent far too little of the book.

The problem is the disc they sent me. First of all, it was not shrink wrapped. Used? I don't buy used dvd's. And it was shipped by Amazon, along with other free shipping items, so it should have been new. When I opened it, there was a large blue blob on the face of the disc. I tried to remove said blue blob gently, but it did not come off. Since the disc played okay, I guess IO can't complain about the blue crud.

This disc was priced the same as the TWO Deathly Hallows discs combined. You'd think it would therefore be twice as good, in condition and in content. Not so.
on December 28, 2009
How very disappointing. HPaTH-BP is a very slow movie with very little by way of character or story development. Very little actually happens. Basically, it's setting things up for the final film. The film was dark (visually, I mean) and, now that the kids are no longer young and cute, we're left with the fact that they're not very good actors. This installment comes nowhere near the quality of the last film. I guess that, like me, if you've already committed to the series, you're going to watch it regardless, just don't pay full price for this; it's not worth it.

Not recommended.
on April 10, 2014
WTF is this crap? The visual looks stunning like a legit blu-ray CD however the sound doesn't do it for me. I have to like turn up my volume to 75% just to hear what everybody was talking about in the movie. Is this a bootleg copy or something? I bought this product at "rapid_cds" so buyer beware!!!!