Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now Tikes

Format: PaperbackChange

1,073 of 1,141 people found the following review helpful
on July 19, 2009
I, like many other people, used to dislike Harry Potter. I had never actually read the books, but for some reason looked down on Potter fans, thinking them to be a bit off color. I was certain that the whole thing was highly overrated and that it had been blown way out of proportion (like Twilight).

I could not have been more wrong. I finally read the books at the continuous urging of a friend in my junior year of high school, and they have become my favorite books of all time. I have already reread all seven books and stood in line for hours to see the midnight premiere of the newest movie.

When is the last time you have read a book and instantly wanted to pick it up and read it again? It doesn't happen often.

I can't even begin to tell you how incredible these books are. Not only are they very entertaining, but they are filled with the important themes of good vs. evil, the power of love, and the value of good choices. The characters in this book have become part of my life.

If you are at all hesitant to read this series because of its classification as a 'fantasy' series, I can assure you that you will not be disappointed. Yes, the book is about wizards and magic, but you would be shocked at how quickly the story pulls you in.

I can only ask you to PLEASE read the first book. If you like it, keep reading. If you don't, keep reading. The books get better as they progress, and I feel that the final chapters of the last book are some of the best reading I have ever done.

Also, do not judge these books from the movies. Everybody knows that the book is always better than the movie, and it's the same case here. The movies are great, but you need to read the books to fully appreciate what's happening and become a true Potter fan.

--------- UPDATE - JANUARY 31, 2015 ---------

Harry Potter is still awesome.
3838 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 19, 2007
I agree with everyone who has written a review saying that this boxed set was VERY misleading in presentation. This is a given. The publishers should have made a stronger cardboard box, included felt in the lining of the box, and should have downright made the box out of wood or leather. This incredible seven book series deserves the highest quality of workmanship and we, as the loyal fans, deserve the best offer and the finest quality of product. We deserve the publisher's respect, as well. They should be ashamed of themselves.

If you are buying this set because you already have the books and want to get newer versions of them and are focusing moreso on the collector's box to house all of the books and keep them pristine, I recommend that you DO NOT buy this particular set. It is in no way up to standard and the box is very misleading as a "collector's" item.

However, if you are like me and this is your first set of these books and want a fabulous deal on all seven of the hardcover books, which averages out to $17.00 a book, then you might want to think twice.

Here is what I am doing with the cardboard box that they give you. I took out the inner cardboard box that the books are already placed in and I am housing the books inside of there on my bookshelf. The main portion of the box (or trunk) I am using to house all of my Harry Potter DVDs and any other collectables I might have so that they are all kept together in one place. The stickers that they give you can be used on all four corners to cover the gaps of the cardboard that they didn't do themselves. You could put all four house stickers on each corner side.

So, if you want this set solely as a collector's item, don't get it. Wait for another version to come out. If you are mainly focusing on the great deal on the hardcover books and not the box, you might want to go ahead with this offer.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 24, 2007
I totally expected the "chest" to be made out of cardboard. I expected it to not be an expensive piece of artwork. I expected to get 7 books, some related stickers and a case to put them in.

I got exactly what I expected. And I couldn't be happier.

Applying for the amazon visa (and getting $30 off of this purchase) made this buy an excellent one!
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2007
I am a big Harry Potter fan and am no less than thrilled to pieces to finally own the complete set of books. (and in hardback no less) The books in this collector's set are the same books (content, artwork, cover and all) that have been sold before individually.

Yet I'm somewhat disappointed, if not slightly disillusioned that the "special collectors case" was a huge letdown. Given the obvious fact that Harry is huge worldwide, it would had behooved the publishers to do right by this commemorative set and make the case out of engineered wood (at the very least!) Instead they opted for the cheaper route and decided to make it out of... drum roll please.... CARDBOARD!

I dunno, maybe I was expecting to much?! (sigh...) 5 stars for Harry & minus one for the presentation...
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 17, 2007
What are the publishers thinking about producing a low grade cardboard trunk to store some great books in, what's more J K Rowling has put her name to it. Maybe the should produce a proper collectors trunk and send it out to everyone who has bought this set as an apology. They need to do something as the trunk that is supplied is very tacky.
review image
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
882 of 1,062 people found the following review helpful
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2007
There's no question that the contents of the books inside this so-called chest are of the highest order. The entire Harry Potter epic was ingenious, brilliant, engaging, and encouraged hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of young readers to read when they might have rather played with their Xbox.

But this is about the packaging, and the packaging is just horrid.

I wasn't expecting something that was as heavy and substantial as, say, a pirate's chest, but I certainly was hoping that the box was more sturdy than a few flaps of cardboard rather cheaply assembled, and easily DISassembled.

I bought this so that I would have a full set of unread hardcovers with the original artwork, for the sake of posterity. In one of the worst marketing decisions I've seen regarding the Harry Potter series, the publishers thought it would be a good idea to include the extras (decals and whatnot - things I'm not interested in) shrink wrapped with the books. To get at them, you have to tear the shrink wrap, and thus compromise the books over time (a long period of time, and admittedly not much would be compromised).

Also, the clasp on the box was cheap plastic. Horrible. I almost broke it when undoing it. Is a metal clasp too much to ask for? Apparently it is.

I'm not completely dissatisfied with the purchase, because the books are phenomenal. I would have purchased a compilation of all seven books at some point, but I wish I had waited until they offered such a product without the sadly and unfortunately shoddy "chest". When I bought this product, I absolutely, 100% was buying the packaging, and the packaging was dismal.
5555 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2011
I saved about £30 importing this boxset from the US, which took only 7 days, so I was chuffed with the saving :)

I see a lot of reviews bashing this item because of the box the books come in, come on people for this price you couldn't expect a lot, the hard backs edition books are what your really paying for anyways, the box is just a novelty.

Personally I was pleased with the box, it's not fantastic but I think it's a nice touch, rather than a plain open sided box. As for the books....FANTASTIC! I have all the books in the adult paper back design, which are pretty worn out after getting so much use over the years. It's a nice change to have the animated covers, the colours are very eye catching and of good quality.

In short, they are very good quality hard back editions of the Harry Potter books, if that is what your after this is a great buy.

Hope this review helps anyone huming and haing :)
review image
on April 26, 2008
First off, I understand why people are pissed off about this. The box does look like crap. But step back a second and do some math people. You're acting like you got ripped off. Amazon is offering this set for 122 dollars. That averages to 17.43 a book. Now, considering the cheapest I found the actual books was 16.99 a book (I'm sure amazon may have them a bit cheaper now--this was when they were first released mind you), it's not like you're paying anything extra. Thats 3.08 extra dollars above buying the books separately. I think a bit of cardboard and a book of stickers certainly makes up for that. Did you actually EXPECT to get a finely crafted solid wood box for 3.08???? Seriously, people. Think just a little bit before you buy and complain. I understand that the pictures may have been misleading, but so are the pictures on the side of burger king. Don't be mad because you were too lazy to go out and LOOK at a 122 dollar investment before you decided to purchase. Don't be mad because you just ASSUMED you were getting something really special for a couple extra bucks. Give it time, I'm sure they'll come up with a box thats all wood, with brass handles and one of those massive padlocks where each set has its own unique key, and secret compartments that only open upon the voice code "alohamora" and what not.

But it's gonna be a little more than 122 freakin' dollars.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 25, 2010
Well, I'm 80 years old and have just had a stroke - so things are different in my life. Much to my dismay, I had forgotten how to read - at least, the words didn't mean much to me. So I descided to start the Harry Potter series, because I enjoyed the first movies so much. They have taught me to read again, and to understand what I was reading. Thanks so much - they are wonderful books, even if I am 80, and I do appreciate them. I cannot recommend them enough. You should forget how old you are, or are not, and just read for the pure joy of reading. I did "The Lord of the Rings" that way, when I was in my 40's, and I got some very good advice. The guy who loaned them to me told me to clear my mind and forget that I was an my 40;s, to read as tho I had always believed in elves and dwarves and all those things. Just to read as tho I had always believed in them, and that way - I would really enjoy the books. So I did read that way and I DID enjoy them, and I took the same advice for my Harry Potter books - and it worked for them too. Try it!
Sunny Daniels
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 27, 2012
I received my package about 30 minutes ago and I cannot tell you how excited I am that my HP books are here! First of all, I will start by saying- I ordered through Amazon yesterday April 26 2012, and got them April 27, 2012. Yes, I ordered next day shipping! And yes, of course, it did cost extra! But was it worth it? This was the FIRST time I have ever ordered Next day shipping, and I can totally see myself doing it again. Again, was it worth it? YES! Because I literally could not wait all weekend for these books to get here.

I am in love the Harry Potter series and I have seen all the moves but I have never read all of the books so this was just an awesome treat for me. I ordered the paperback and it all came in a NEW beautiful condition! The shelf/cardboard container that it sits in is awesome! I love the art work for the Harry Potter books so I am thrilled the way they came in. I will be posting pictures and a video review of my packaging!

Definitely worth the money because these books will be with me for a very long time! I plan on passing them down to my children because I grew up with the HP series and now as an adult, I cannot tell you enough how excited I am to read more about the wonderful world of Harry Potter! Again, I ordered from Amazon, I ordered on a Thursday around 3:00PMish, and got them the next day, Friday around 11:00AM. I ordered through Amazon also, just a heads up! Fantastic! I will have a wonderful weekend for sure.
review image review image review image review image