5.0 out of 5 stars For the fan not the fanatic

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient Information Prior to Purchase
Published on September 3, 2010 by BBJimD

5.0 out of 5 stars For the fan not the fanatic, January 1, 2010
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-6 Gift Set (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
While I value all posted opinions of this product I strongly disagree with the notion that this product is dumb. For anyone who has waited many long years and not purchased any of the movies until now, or anyone who was hooked later in the series, this set is a real value. All the released movies are bundled neatly together and they don't consume much space in my movie library because of the slim packaging.

This set is certainly not for the collector as there is no bonus material whatsoever. This is fine for us as we generally never watch the second disc anyway. If you have been waiting to buy or are new to the series and you don't mind the lack of bonus material this set really makes it easy to start your collection.

If this does not describe what you are looking for then I suggest you do as the other reviewers have suggested and look elsewhere or wait till the complete set releases in several years. For what this product is however (all current movies/no frills), this is a great set.

***Update***

W. Price has educated me that this review shows on the Blu Ray page for this movie as well. He has correctly noted the following.

"Just a note, since this review is cross-posted on the Blu-ray version: the Blu-ray discs *do* include some bonus features (deleted scenes, documentaries, etc.) accessible from the menu button. However, they're easy to miss because there is no title menu and the movie begins playing immediately."(W. Price Nov. 28, 2010 10:28 AM PST)

For clarifications sake, my reivew is of the DVD VERSION.

4.0 out of 5 stars HD Harry Potter Movies and Bonus Features, September 5, 2010
Some reviewers have indicated there are no bonus materials included with this set but in my experience I found otherwise. While it is true the dvds go directly to the movie when loaded they each also contain a menu which allows access to the bonus material. Just hit your menu button and voila! This set does not include the extended version of the film and does not include all the extras included in the Ultimate Editions but there are extras which include deleted scenes - they are simply not integrated into the film. I had some problems getting all the bonus material to play on my PS3 blu-ray player initally but once I visited BD-Live and updated the software they all played great. I've listed the bonus material included for each movie below.

"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" includes the following bonus content: 7 Additional/Deleted scenes; BEHIND THE STORY -- Capturing the stone: casting and bringing the novel to life; Around the world multilanguage clip; Ghosts of Hogwarts; Yearbook character clips; Lessons in Quidditch and What it Takes to Hatch a Dragon Egg; and Theatrical trailers.

"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" includes the following bonus content: 19 Deleted and extended scenes; BEHIND THE STORY -- Conversation with J.K. Rowling and screenwriter Steve Kloves; Lockhart's Classroom: view his certificates and required reading list; Behind Hogwarts - Building a Scene; Interviews with Students, Professors, and More - approximately 18 minutes of interviews with the cast; Year One at Hogwarts: a 2 minute look back at the first film; and the Theatrical trailer.

"Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" includes the following bonus content: 5 Unfinished and Deleted scenes; BEHIND THE STORY -- Creating the Vision: Hear from Director Alfonso Cuaron, author J.K. Rowling, and others discuss transforming the novels to the big screen; Head to Shrunken Head; Interviews with: The Heroes, The Gryffindors, The Slytherins, Prof Lupin and Sirius Black, Prof Dumbledore and Rubeus Hagrid, The Dursleys, and The Filmmakers; Choir practice; Care of Magical Creatures; Conjuring a Scene: Uncover movie magic and learn how fantasy characters and creatures are created; and the Theatrical trailers for Years 1-3.

"Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" includes the following bonus content: 8 Additional and Deleted scenes; BEHIND THE STORY -- Harry vs. the Horntail: The first task; In Too Deep: The second task; The Maze: The third task; Meet the champions; He Who Must Not Be Named; Preparing for the Yule Ball; Conversations with the cast; Reflections on the fourth film; and the Theatrical trailer.

"Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" includes the following bonus content: 9 Unfinished and Deleted scenes; Focus Points: 28 Behind the scene Featurettes and production diaries (with the option of playing the movie with these included); The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter: Explore all the movies in the series for clues to the mystery of Harry's true destiny; Trailing Tonks: Natalia Tena (aka Nymphadora Tonks) leads a very personal film set tour; and Harry Potter: The Magic of Editing - Director David Yates and editor Mark Day show how to edit a scene.

"Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" includes 2 discs. The movie disc includes the following bonus content: Maximum Movie Mode hosted by Daniel Radcliffe - includes 14 different Picture-in-Picture, Focus Point featurettes, and scene comparisons which can be included in the movie as you watch it; and Warner Bros. BD-Live which includes additional content on both Harry Potter and other films. The bonus features disc includes: 8 Additional/Deleted scenes; Close-Up with the cast of Harry Potter; One-Minute Drills - Each cast member has 60 seconds to sum-up their character; First Footage from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows; J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life; What's on Your Mind?: Lightning-round Q&A with cast and crew; and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter - a sneak peek at the new Universal Orlando Resort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry Potter 1-6, October 26, 2010
I, unfortunately, grew up without owning the movies. So, naturally, I wanted to buy all of them at once, just in time for the November 19th premiere of HP7. I didn't need anything fancy and I'm not, personally, big on behind the scenes or bonus material. This "gift" boxset was perfect. The movies come in thin packages that only really have the film. I can just pop it into the DVD player and enjoy! There are no advertisements beforehand and it goes right to the menu! If you just want the movies, nothing special or extra, this is PERFECT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Blu-ray set for a great price, November 13, 2010
Dave Bonds (Livermore, CA) - See all my reviews
I got the books in the same way. A 6 book box set, then the 7th as a single book. Now I'm doing the same for the Blu-ray discs. Lucky me (and every HP fan), the seventh movie will be 2 movies, probably a 4 disc box set, or as singles. They're already on my wish list.

I saw some reviews on here before purchasing, claiming "Doesn't have any extra features, etc...". That's nonsense. Loads of extra features, same as the single movies, especially the 2 disc 6th movie.

If the BD Live content doesn't play for you, you may need to upgrade the firmware on the Blu-ray player. Or if the player doesn't have storage, you might need to add local storage from the USB (which it should have.. a USB thumb drive works). Although, Warner Brothers doesn't have much for you on "BD Live", except a horrible user interface and experience. Oh and thanks for the emails.

2.0 out of 5 stars Insufficient Information Prior to Purchase, September 3, 2010
The title of this review says it all. I had viewed only 2 of the 6 DVDs in this set when I discovered that they are not complete movies. For whatever reason they have been edited and some of the original material has been removed. If I had known this prior to my purchase I would NOT have purchased it. Now it appears that I will have to purchase each movie individually if I want to watch the complete movie. Even then, I suppose, I will not know what I'm receiving until I view each one. Caveat Emptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars FACTS about the DVD set, November 25, 2010
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-6 Gift Set (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
I'm giving this box set 5 stars because I really enjoy the movies, but this is NOT a review of the films. I feel the need to dispel one or two rumours posted by some misinformed or lazy reviewers (both here and elsewhere).

1) This films in this set are NOT edited! A few reviews I've read have stated that entire scenes were cut out of the films. Sadly, they are mistaken. I loaded each DVD and compared its running time to the length of the original theatrical release (you can find the times on IMDb.com or Wikipedia). They're all the same +/- a few seconds. Not enough to edit out entire scenes. Moreover, each disc says "Disc 1 - Movie" showing us that Warner Home Video (the distribution company for Warner Bros.) didn't even bother to make new labels for this release. That means these are DVD pressings from the original DVD releases, just without the bonus disc of special features.

2) Some reviewers claim there isn't any menu. Yes there is. One of two things is happening: A) The DVD player is set to autoplay, or B) The discs have an autoplay code written in. Since I first loaded these on my Mac, the menu came up immediately. If you still don't think there's a menu, try this: press the menu button on your remote control. If that doesn't work, try new batteries. There's a menu. I'm looking at the menu for Sorcerer's Stone right now.

3) There ARE some special features, not "none" as other reviewers claim. Again, Warner Home Video just repackaged the movie discs from all the standalone releases, so whatever limited special features were on those discs are still there. Yes, that is lazy, but Warner Bros. is a business, not fan group, so they haven't the same respect for this stuff as we do. They want to move units, we want a good deal. This is the middle ground. If you want all those special features, spend the money and buy the individual releases.

I'll state again - these discs are just the movie disc from all the Harry Potter DVDs released since 2002. If the audio/video quality is poor, or the discs just won't play, that's Warner Home Video's fault, not Amazon's. Return it, get a replacement. Don't give it 1 star.

At $60, it's a deal ($10/film). I bought this when the price dropped to $30 - a steal! As of today, Nov. 25, 2010, the price has gone up to $45. If you just want the films, this is a great set. If you want more, don't buy this and then complain that it doesn't have what you wanted.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, January 10, 2010
Saracen (Portland, ME) - See all my reviews
What can you say about a set of great movies which are then improved even more by putting them on Blu-ray and packaging all six together? If you purchase the six individual Blu-ray movies, they currently run $105.94 as opposed to the $92.99 for this set. So you not only get top-quality movies, but you save $13.00 in the process. The picture quality and sound quality are superb. As I said, there isn't much more to say about movies that have been reviewed hundreds of times. As for an erroneous opinion that you are getting ripped off by this set, all I can say is do the math. The 5-pack Blu-ray version sells here for $80.99, not $54.99 (that was the DVD 5-pack which is now down to $49.99), so the difference between the 5-pack and the 6-pack is only is only $12.00. The Half Blood Prince sells individually for $19.49, so, you save $7.49 off the price of the sixth movie by buying this set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD package, April 1, 2010
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-6 Gift Set (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
The DVD's are in a thinner plastic case and all 6 are in a box sleeve. Really compact. Wouldn't it be great if all DVD's were like that, allowing for more in a smaller storage area. This is a great addition to my collection and will be fun to watch again and again. This package is definitely a best buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars For those who need only the films, not the special features., January 7, 2010
This review is from: Harry Potter Years 1-6 Gift Set (Widescreen Edition) (DVD)
This is a great little set for those who only need the films. There are no special features or making of clips on any of the dvds.

4.0 out of 5 stars I've Never Seen A Harry Potter Movie Before, October 2, 2010
My first time watching Harry Potter. I thought this was a good price at the time for the box set and was sold on the other reviews I read here. I thoroughly enjoyed these movies and I am glad that I made this purchase. I am also looking forward to purchasing the last Harry Potter movie to complete the series.

Bottom-line Technical Stuff: I understand but not impressed with lengthy techno-geeky, space-eating lingo on some reviews I've read. I have a super nice A/V setup and my eyes and ears work pretty good. With this said, the audio is great and the video is spectacular.

Harry Potter Years 1-6 Gift Set (Widescreen Edition)
$59.98 $38.54