Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 800 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 1, 2008 7:28:52 PM PDT
Any one know if any of the books are coming to the Kindle format???

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2008 10:23:03 PM PDT
Luke says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2008 12:37:07 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2008 7:23:29 PM PST
I just found out today that I will be receiving a Kindle soon for Christmas and immediately went to the Kindle Book Store and was sad to find that the Harry Potter series will not be made available for the Kindle. JK Rowling is a firm beliver in reading books as an actual book; she even wrote the series by hand. She has never allowed her books to be published as an eBook, but perhaps she will in the future! Did you find a way to download it since this posting? If so, please let me know via new post!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 9:18:50 AM PST
A. Williams says:
J.K. Rowling is still strongly against publishing the books in eBook format. I don't think it is about earning money, though, since Kindle users who own all the books in paper copy would likely buy them again as Kindle eBooks, and it's unlikely her 'target' audience of children would own a Kindle since they are a bit pricey and more an 'adult' thing thus far.

But isn't it a little hypocritical for Rowling to oppose eBooks but to allow the books be made into movies and audiobooks? Neither of those require reading at all; Kindle actually DOES!

Part of the reason I haven't purchased the Kindle yet is I am waiting to see Kindle versions of Harry Potter & The Lord of the Rings; I am in the military and cannot take those large books everywhere but love to re-read my favorites. Kindle seems like the perfect solution to making my library portable, should the titles become available.

Posted on Feb 23, 2009 6:01:09 PM PST
P. Schmid says:
I feel your pain Aubrey I travel for my work and have the same problem. Good point about the movies and audiobooks, it is quite hypocritical. Frankly I think JK and the Tolkien clan are just plain snobs. No crass electronic medium will sully their hallowed prose. Well unless it's a movie deal that nets them many millions.

Posted on Feb 26, 2009 5:44:49 PM PST
christja says:
I was all ready to buy a Kindle 2, so I could have my favorite books when traveling. It's disappointing that I won't be able to have all the Harry Potter books at my fingertips and for only 10 oz.

Posted on May 14, 2009 9:30:09 PM PDT
I have Kindle on my iPhone and am completely disappointed that the Potter series is not available! It would have been extremely pleasant and helpful to have the books on my iPhone for my last airline flight...especially when we get charged for baggage and/or over-weight baggage and would prefer not to carry around a large book or even paperback (which Hallows isn't out in that format yet anyway).

JK - you need to change your position on this and let your readers be happy!

Posted on May 20, 2009 9:10:43 AM PDT
Lyndiana says:
Grrrr. Jk... get with the times! I have them in print and teach them in print, but who wants to carry 10lbs of books on vacation! You are limiting your readers by not allowing ebooks. I am not buying paper books anymore. Save the trees!

Posted on May 22, 2009 9:57:46 AM PDT
Ryan Olein says:
Jk,
Please consider changing your mind. I own all of your books and have read them several times in their original form. I would love to have them on my kindle. Additionally, as an educator who works with learning difference students I feel it necessary to point out how great this device is. Many students that I work with have processing disorders. Owning a kindle enables them to access the story in a different way. The text reader is especially useful for these children. By allowing your story to be published in a digital format you would be opening the story to an additional segment of the population.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2009 8:20:38 PM PDT

Posted on Jun 5, 2009 8:14:14 PM PDT
jbmonco says:
Only 11 posts? Seems light. Hopefully all Kindle owners have clicked the "I'd like to read this book on Kindle" link by each of the books. I own all these books (well my son thinks HE does). He has broken 2 spines already so I'll re-buy two of them. But when we go on holiday I'd love to have them all on my Kindle as well and will not be able to take the pBooks (physical books) with me. Some authors might be swayed by the green angle. Some have been moved by tales of people who could not read in the past but now can because of the Kindle. I can't work that angle myself but offer it up in case it helps. For all that some people complain at least Amazon has DRM if piracy is a concern. At least Lord of the Rings is available on Kindle now. Sigh. I hope this changes soon but am not holding my breath since there are still artists who are not available on iTunes. Oh well--a loss all around I'd say.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2009 3:41:51 PM PDT

Posted on Jun 11, 2009 5:40:13 PM PDT
Christine says:
I think its a shame these books have not been released in ebook format, if they were I would buy the entire series! While grabbing books from the library might be a nice idea for those who live have the luxury of time to do that, the physical size of books is a bit much, I like many others travel and don't want to carry several books through the multiple airports I traverse in one week - just think of the wear and tear on our backs! My reader weights but 10oz and has 56 books on it currently! But size aside - ebooks are environmentally friendly! Why decimate the forests when we can read electronically. C'mon Rowling, you've made the movies and put them on audio, you can't cop out on wanting people to hold "actual" book when they read (that's just silly).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 14, 2009 4:01:13 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 1, 2009 1:05:15 PM PDT
Amy Button says:
I'm yet another voice in the flood of "I love my hard copies, but would love a Kindle copy for traveling!" Half a shelf of hardbacks don't travel well, these books are quick reads, and even the paperbacks I can borrow from the library are of not-inconsiderate volume/weight (when they're not all checked out).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2009 8:44:54 PM PDT
FYI: The Lord of the Rings is now available on the Kindle. I have it. Still waiting for Harry Potter books tho!

Posted on Jul 11, 2009 5:20:13 AM PDT
J. L. Price says:
I have not been inclined in the past to purchase the Potter series books, I'm a snob like Rowlings. Kiddie books. Can't be an adult and be seen carrying giant "magic" books around. But I own a Kindle - two in the house, actually - and that could be my perfect excuse since I sunk the Sports Illistrated inside the Economist. But Ms. Rowlings appears to think movies are valued alternates to "reading", but actual reading is not. Madam, my little family has purchased easily thousand of volumes in our lifetime. We like the tactile feel of books, but we also grow with the times. That telephone thing, for example - much easier than when people just dropped by (good for summoning help for the aged ones too).

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 1:50:51 AM PDT
David Kemper says:
I just ordered a Kindle 2 to find out that the Harry Potter series I just ebayed is not even up for download! I'm sure Rowling will come around to eBooks eventually but ugh I was hoping to have that set on there for sure. :(

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 7:53:15 AM PDT
G. Brandt says:
OK--another unhappy Kindle owner weighs in. I have owned my Kindle for about 11 months, and love it. I have encouraged many others to purchase one, and am planning to buy one for my wife, who is an environmentalist (what better way to save a tree). So last night, I am standing in line with my 14 and 15 year old at midnight, to see the new Harry Potter movie--thought it was great. So this morning, I am thinking I would like to re-read book seven, and go on Amazon to purchase it for my Kindle. No such luck! How is that possible? I frankly can't believe that Amazon can't make this happen. For our upcoming vacation, we can listen to the audio books (on our IPODS) but can't read it on the Kindle. Something is wrong with this picture.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009 8:50:49 AM PDT
T. Kittle says:
I just bought a Kindle last night, literally minutes before going to the new Harry Potter movie. When I went to the Kindle store this morning and found that the series is unavailable for Kindle it disheartened me quite a bit. E-readers, of all things, are not something to be against. JK, please think about how many trees are being saved and how many people can be enlightened and enjoy your books, your art, if you allowed the HP series to be available for Kindle. This is a silly battle that makes no sense at all. Millions of people probably want HP for Kindle, why not let us buy it from you? Please? You may think it doesn't enrich people's lives like a real book, but in reality, it enriches people's lives along with the planet's life.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 18, 2009 2:35:36 AM PDT
Slim Jensin says:
Ms. J.K.Rowlings has stated and quite firmly that Harry Potter will Never see the insides of a Kindle. Why? I don't understand the reason and if any of you do please let the rest of us know. I would love to read them on a kindle I am almost a recluse now as my health doesn't allow me much outside activities. It would be a big help to me if she would allow this to happen. I too thought to buy the Harry Potter series from the beginning to the last as thats one of the reason I so enjoy the kindle. Finish a book in the series, simply download the next part in under 60 second(closer to 25 seconds) and continue the saga. Just time to get a cold or hot drink while the literature is assembled. So please J.K.Rowlings help us or rather me out, otherwise I will be forced to get out of my nice warm bed and fly all the way to England and give you a good talking too. She's still in England or is it Ireland? No. no thats the lady who writes the dragon books Anne McCaffrey who lives in Ireland, although J.K.Rowlings still could, I mean surely there's enough room for two more authors in a country that has produced such great authors in the past. Or would it be one more author if one already lives there? Oh well I'm sure they can sort it out.

Posted on Jul 21, 2009 1:19:16 PM PDT
The Audio books are only avail on Itunes. And for purchase as CD's and Cassettes. I belong to audible.com (which I really love btw) and the HP books are not avial there. I was told by a staffer it was because they offered the books at a discount to members. The all mighty $$ again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2009 6:01:04 AM PDT
Cheryl Deal says:
I'm a little angry with JK for saying that this series will never see the inside of a Kindle...what kind of snob is she?? She'll take hundreds of my dollars for her books and movies, but she won't allow me to re-read them (and reBUY them) on a device that *I* find highly convenient?? Get off your high horse, JK. You're a writer...you write so that people can read what you write. Well...we want to read it on Kindle. You're not the book police......get over yourself!

Posted on Jul 22, 2009 11:30:12 AM PDT
Please do something with this amazon. i was about ready to buy a kindle but the first things i wanted to do was read the potter series on it ( i have not read any of them ) kind of disheartening the first thing you want to read is unavailable
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  395
Total posts:  800
Initial post:  Aug 1, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 53 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) by J. K. Rowling (Hardcover - August 1, 2007)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (8,544)