Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Harvard Business Review
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Subscription Length: 1 year auto-renewal|Change

on October 26, 2011
When I subscribed to this publication I received an e-mail saying that they couldn't give me my user-name yet because of "computer problems". So they gave me a temporary user name (HBROCT) and password. Now a week later I can't get in, and customer service is demanding that I re-subscribe for a more expensive "upgrade". What a crock!

I can do without the hassle, and they can do without my $$ apparently.

You would think that the people that run this org would be way above this kind of cr#p. TWO days for a response? WTH?

I hope others enjoy the subscription they wanted, and that they never have to deal with this places' "customer service".
22 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2011
I'm quite a fan of HBR - it was an invaluable tool during my MBA and still seems to consistently be able to provide stories which align to the concerns which are top of mind for me on any given day...

However, i must say that for a business which constistently expounds best practice and business leadership, HBR itself is lagging sadly behond the times. I have never experienced such poor service from any magazine i have subscribed to - customer service is slow and unhelpful, systems are completely disparate across geographies and online vs print subscriptions, and the staff I have spoken to have been unwilling/unable to help me any time I have called.

The policy of replying to customer queries within 2-3 days is simply archaic!!! HBR - you of all organisations should be aware that times are changing, and 72 hours is simply too long to wait for a response on the status of my subscription (which, incidentally, you have charged me for and then "lost" all record of).

Similarly, having your corporate clients sit on hold for 20 mins to speak with a customer service representative, only to be told the phone number provided by the online chat consultant was for a US online subscription help only is too long. To add insult to injury, the representative in your Florida call centre then advised that i needed to call a phone number in the Netherlands - you can imagine I was thrilled by the prospect of spending another 20 min on hold at international call rates... luckily i was saved the hassle, because the number i was provided was incorrect and i wasn't able to get through anyway.

So here I stand... I can't get online help because, having not received a publication in 6 months i don't have the cover sheet with my subscription number, and the call centre won't provide it for me. I can spend another 20 min on hold to try and get the CORRECT phone number for the netherlands office - but that hardly seems like a productive use of my workday.

I'm afraid you've lost me HBR - There is no way i can justify renewing my subscription (i notice you're well on top of sending me renewal specials 6 months before my subscription expires - good to see where your priorities lay). You're a great magazine, but i am afraid i am cmpletely turned off by your total inability to practice what you preach. Maybe it's time to get your own house in order?
33 comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 3, 2011
I have been a subscription member of HBR for over 2 years now and am a fully subscribed member (Online + Print). The quality of articles and case studies are excellent and definitely worth the reading time. I try not to miss any article in the print issue.
However, on the online front they can do better. For a fully subscribed user, it is a struggle that each time I do a search for any topic, I get a list 80-85 % online articles which I need to "Buy PDF" and just 15 -20 % articles which I can read online. Then why do they charge separate fee for an online subscription in fully paid membership? When I am in travel, I don't want to pull ou my credit card each time to a read an article on a topic of my choice.
on May 6, 2011
The Harvard Business Review is a very well written publication that has served me well over the last few years of graduate school. I feel the subscription falls short because it does not offer any additional features such as reviewing past editions on-line or down loading the articles. When I wrote to them, this was their (HBR) response:

"We offer an online subscription to hbr.org which includes the following, but would cost an additional subscription price.

What comes with an HBR online subscription?

An online subscription to HBR includes online access to individual full-text HBR articles, but only individual HBR articles and HBR case studies. You may read the articles online but you cannot download the articles.
The subscription does not include access to HBS cases or cases from other academic institutions. Those can only be purchased individually.
HBR case studies differ from other case studies in that the HBR case studies are fictional.
An HBR online subscription does not include access to the PDF reprints, just to the full-text online versions.
The PDF files are reprinted versions. All the past editions of the HBR until about 1960 are available as a part of the online subscription."

This tells me that everything for this publication is an additional charge.
on March 23, 2012
I was about to renew my subscription when I noticed they want to charge me $159 as a returning customer vs $129 for new customers. What a great way to promote loyalty...make your current customers pay more!
HBR - you've got a great magazine, but you've got to start treating your customers right.
on November 30, 2011
My husband had heard such great things about this magazine, so I gave it to him for Christmas last year. I just asked him if he would like me to renew it. He said that, unfortunately, it only has one great article per issue in it. The rest is no different from any other magazine, and that one article is not worth it to him for us to pay so much for the subscription.
on May 2, 2011
It is very difficult to review a product or in this case a publication that has never arrived.

Little help!!

Where is it? And when can we accept it to arrive?

Linda Drake
on April 8, 2014
The content is alright, but if you have a problem with your online of print subscription you have to deal with the worst customer service agents ever. They are absolutely unhelpful. The publication quality does not outweigh the horrible service.
on January 20, 2016
Don't forget to register with HBR.com to get access to their online library. You won't be able to access the tablet or iPhone version which is a $99 subscription cost, but who needs that when you have a PC. You will need the account number printed on your magazine. Follow the instructions during registration to locate the code. Amazon also has instructions on where the account number is when you go to your subscription page. It's under the title "edit subscription" button under Amazon’s Magazine Subscription Manager page.

If you purchase from amazon, you do not get the free gifts that HBR advertise when you purchase from them. I went with amazon because my credit card had a 10% cash back promotion on amazon purchases.
on May 31, 2015
I work in HR at a major corporation and rely heavily on the writing here to keep us moving forward. Practical application of academic research and actionable things you can do tomorrow to make a difference on your team