5.0 out of 5 stars A clarification - this is the whole magazine

3.0 out of 5 stars Contents visible but not the pictures
Published on March 19, 2012 by Amitabh Mukherjee

5.0 out of 5 stars A clarification - this is the whole magazine, May 18, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
Other reviewers have said that you don't get the whole magazine when you get the Kindle edition, but this actually isn't true so I thought I would clarify. The issue here is with the layout of the Kindle edition. For the Kindle, you lose the magazine format and everything is instead linear like a book. The first 20 pages or so are reader comments and summaries of blog posts from the online edition. I imagine in the print edition it is more clear that this is just a discussion section (I don't currently subscribe to print so I can't say), but on the Kindle it reads as if you are just getting condensed articles. If you just stop here without reading on, it really will feel like you're not getting the full magazine. The real content, however, is still there! You just have to use the directional pad to skip the first few sections - same navigation system as found on the Wall Street Journal kindle edition, if you've ever used that. If anyone at HBR is reading this, it really would be helpful to move these sections to the end of the magazine to reduce confusion.

Now for my review. Navigation quirk aside, I'm still giving this five stars. I normally read this on my android phone, and on there the magazine is beautiful, in color, and easy to navigate - if you have an android, I definitely recommend it. The content is unmatched and definitely worth the 6 or so dollars you pay a month.

5.0 out of 5 stars My wishes were granted !, June 29, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
I am wondering why wasn't the HBR on Kindle a long time back ! This is one of the perfect examples of a Kindle use. I have had 2-3 years of HBR subscription (physical) and it's such a bother storing them.

I would request / urge / plead the HBR folks to:

- remove all user/ reader reviews from the initial pages ! It's a huge distraction !

- To look at ways and means to improve the look and feel of the subscription on the Kindle. It's 6 dollar an issue and the kindle copy shouldn't be any less than the physical copy for an easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars It`s the full contents of HBR's magazine print edition, August 13, 2011
Fabio C. Paiano (Sao Jose dos Campos, SP Brazil) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
Having seen different reviews here both to the opinion that the Kindle edition of this magazine was and wasn't the full contents of the print edition, I took the trouble to compare the kindle and print editions article by article, and can assure it IS the full contents.
That said, it's maybe the best management magazine around. There are always insightful articles by top management gurus. It's a pity however that so much of the contents are focused in big business and so little in small and medium companies management. But that doesn't change the quality of its contents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now with the best of both worlds, January 14, 2012
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
I have subscribed to the print version of HBR for years and have always liked the layout and content.

Moving to digital form it seemed as if magazines only came in one of two forms - text only or full page layout. Text only removed the benefits of layout in the presentation. Full page layout was difficult to read at times, even zoomed - as full length colums require scrolling up and down without any side movement.

With the February 2012 issue of HBR Amazon is offering both views. You can now flip through the full page layout. Scanning and zooming in to find an article you would like then switch to text view if you need to adjust text size for comfortable reading. Furthermore the table of contents makes for quick navigation.

I still wish I could highlight and take notes though. Maybe soon.

4.0 out of 5 stars The real Deal, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
This Kindle version , though lacks the feel of the paperbound edition makes up in Kindle Usability. I had confirmed this is the real book in the 14 day trial period .

I need not go over as to how HBR is the most revered management magazine in the world and how the case studies help understand real world business problems.

A good buy in a great Kindle version.

3.0 out of 5 stars Contents visible but not the pictures, March 19, 2012
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
I subscribed to HBR the moment I received my Kindle Touch. However, I cancelled my subscription even before the 14-day free trial was over. The contents were well-laid and very readable (hence the 3 stars), but the accompanying graphs and pictures were hardly visible. Even after I increased the font I couldn't read the text on the pictures. Sad! I was so much looking forward to reading HBR on my Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible bargain!, October 8, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
After reading some of the lackluster reviews I was initially hesitant to subscribe to the kindle version of this magazine since I enjoy the print version. But I now read just about everything electonically ...and I hate storing, recycling or discarding paper since it is all wasteful, so I thought I'd give this version a try. I wanted to use the iPad version since it was color and more fully functional so I needed to update my kindle app on iPad and I couldn't be happier. The magazine has a contents list with links on the left side, making it easy to quickly access the articles I want (which is better functionality than the paper version) and the content is identical. The complaints voiced by many that the comments and discussions were in the beginning of the magazine were accurate, but it is easy enough to bypass this if you're not interested using the hyperlinks. All in all a fantastic bargain at 5.99 a month and I'm almost afraid to post this lest Amazon or HBR realize what they've given us for such a bargain basement price. I can only express my thanks to them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well on my Kindle and iPad, September 22, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
An excellent publication with great articles, and it works perfectly on both my Kindle and iPad Kindle app. Looking forward to the next issue.

5.0 out of 5 stars The whole magazine ... great content as always from HBR, August 29, 2011
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
The subscription is definitely for the whole magazine. They must have reorganized it since some of the previous reviews. It is now sectioned out into the same sections as the magazine itself.

Really great to be able to read this on the Kindle, and at a great price. Easy to navigate. Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of a kind content, delivered in a convenient and versatile format., August 6, 2011
S. Power (Austin, Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Harvard Business Review (Kindle Edition)
The content in HBR is unique and world class. Nowhere else can you find articles from such accomplished academia and business leaders, all in one publication. Every issue brings in depth discussion and analysis about the topics that will be in textbooks and other publications in the coming months and years. The quality of the content is above all others.

I haven't found anything missing from the Kindle edition that is in the print edition. The layout is different, but all the same content seems to be there, just packaged in a more navigable format with entire articles grouped together.

The fact that your HBR is delivered to you anywhere in the world, on any Kindle enabled device, and as soon as it is published is a huge convenience factor. Having it in the same device that also holds all of your other books, magazines, and newspapers builds on that handiness, as does its convenient navigation.

The DRM policies of HBR on Kindle are much more relaxed than other magazines, in that it allows you to view it on both your actual Kindle and other devices running the Kindle software. This dramatically adds to the convenience of HBR for Kindle.

The versatility of the Kindle version of HBR can't be beat. You can read the magazine anyway that you want, and whenever it is convenient.

Harvard Business Review