5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait
I am a huge fan of the Harvest Moon games and have been since the PS1 version came out. It was rather frustrating when they kept postponing the release for the Tree of Tranquility, but the end product was definitely worth waiting for.

Published on October 5, 2008 by A. Hancock

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool game, but for one problem...
Published on November 11, 2009 by CJS

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the wait, October 5, 2008
A. Hancock (TEMPE, Arizona United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)

The storyline is great so far. You have to think a bit about what they want you to do next. It is definitely more challenging than the Magical Melodies version on the Gamecube, a definite plus, in my opinion.

I really liked the beginning, a longer story to start you off in your new home on the island. Yes, it is true that you get tired very easily in the beginning of the game, but I look at it as a challenge rather than a frustration. Once you start to save a bit of money up, and you can start improving your tools, your energy will last much longer. You don't want the game to be too easy or your first run through will be over too fast!

One nice thing about the early part of the game is that, even if you are tired from farming, you can still work that part-time job for the extra cash. I do agree that it would have been nice to have a mini-game for the part-time job rather than just a (little bit too long) movie clip.

Great variety of new animals in the game, easy farming controls, easy to get the animals in and out of the barn to graze. Nice to be able to decorate your house the way you want it, options to buy more land etc... It seems like they kept a lot of the good things that were in the gamecube Magical Melodies version and added even more nice things for variety.

I think they did a fantastic job with this game, and if you have enjoyed past Harvest Moon releases, you will probably love it too.

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good! *Major Glitch Update*, October 7, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
*Update. There is a very bad game killing glitch in regards to female players courting Calvin. If you're playing as the girl character, the game will freeze when you trigger Calvin's "five heart" event, which is his "request" event. This happens on the 10th floor of the mines. While looking at the mural Calvin freezes halfway through his speech, the game hard-locks and requires a system reset. This happened to me personally and I am not happy about it one bit. This is a major issue that now prevents me from going past the 10th floor in the mine unless I fall through a crack in the floor. I would drop my rating of the game to 3 1/2 stars just for the fact that I now have to work on lowering Calvins heart level so I can access the mines normally...what a pain. :(*

Well, I will start off with the fact that I am very pleased with the controls in this game. The Wii remote is utilized in such a way that it works perfectly. You can use your buttons or swing your remote around to achieve various tasks with your tools. I like having options on how to perform a task because sometimes I feel like swinging my arm around, and sometimes I don't. This is a great improvement over the new DS Island of Happiness that doesn't give you options in the way of control and was only stylus driven (which is a pain IMO).

As for this game, once you get going it really is very enjoyable and there is so much do. I know another reviewer complained how quickly their character tires from doing tasks throughout the day. This improves quickly as you upgrade your tools and skill level. Each tool upgrade lessens the amount of stamina used performing tasks. The hot springs used daily in the beginning is a major asset that allows you to double the amount of work you can perform in one day. There are herbs lying around at specific locations on the map that boost your stamina a little. The mushrooms in the mines area good source for an energy boost also. There is a great guide that you can buy for this game that is very helpful in getting you through that first tough season.

Fishing is really enjoyable. It also is a great source of money in the beginning. If you can buy matches from the General store and grill your fish at the fire pits next to the ocean that will boost quite a lot of your stamina if you eat them throughout the day.

I am already in the Fall season and have a barn, coop, and a 2nd level house. One cow, 1 sheep, 4 chickens, 1 silkworm, and finally my horse! Gardening is a lot of fun and with all that my character has accomplished there is still a ton of things to do that she simply hasn't had time or money to get to yet.

I like the Taylor shop that allows you to buy new outfits and hats! I was so happy when that store opened so I could upgrade my Rucksack! Whoohoo!

There aren't many cons to this game, but I feel they should be mentioned. Loading time between each area of the map is just annoying. I think that this takes to long and detracts from game play. Also, time is not stopped when you're in the mines, barns, or stores. It does give the game a bit more challenge, but its annoying to get kicked out of a store right when your about to make a purchase. Rushing in the barns to try and feed your animals, groom, shear, milk, etc. Trying to get out of the mines and hoping you make it home before the next day. I understand other HM versions worked this way, but I guess I am just not used to it yet.

All in all this is definitely a 5 star game. I haven't encountered any glitches so far (knock on wood). I look forward to seeing what else this game has to offer and I doubt I will be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty fantastic, October 2, 2008
A. Randall (Pittsburgh, PA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
All in all, this is a pretty fantastic iteration of Harvest Moon. It combines the more dramatic, realistic setting and graphics of A Wonderful Life with the more childlike and cutesy feeling of Magical Melody and Harvest Moon 64 (still my gold standard after all these years). I haven't played it a whole lot yet (I just got it last night, after all) but I can tell it's going to get plenty of play at my house.

I already love the look of the game. It's pretty to look at, prettier than Magical Melody, though not as realistic and striking as A Wonderful Life (it's close, though). One of the first things that struck me was how bright and colorful it is. The flowers in particular are very well designed and richly colored (check out the interior of Souflee Farm to see what I mean). The detail on everything is very nice so far. The crops I've seen have been well rendered and the trees and plants and rocks are very realistic and obviously a lot of thought and effort was put into their design. I appreciate little details like that because it shows that the game wasn't just thrown together. The characters are also well done with many newly designed characters to look at and interact with. I would have preferred a more classic design on the male character, though. It feels less like Harvest Moon with no ball cap and/or bright red neckerchief. And a bowl cut? Seriously? But I digress...

To be fair, there are a few aspects of the game that I'm not in love with. They are as follows:

-Load times. If I'm not mistaken, this is the first Harvest Moon game with an actual "Loading" screen. It comes up every time you're going from location to location (i.e. from Town Square to Lake District or into someone's house) which is to say "a lot". It's not a dealbreaker, of course, but it does kind of interrupt the flow of the game.

-Cutesy music. The music for A Wonderful Life is dramatic and melancholy and orchestral and always fits the mood of the game perfectly. Even the whimsical Magical Melody has more serious music than Tree Of Tranquility. It's all peppy, fake-sounding synthesizers that just don't set the mood in the way past Harvest Moon games' music has. Of course, I've only played through the early tutorial stage and a few days of Spring so far, so hopefully the Fall and Winter music will be appropriately austere as in games past.

But, in the end, this is a new Harvest Moon game and Natsume would have to get pretty much EVERYTHING wrong to make me give it less than 3 stars. As such, Tree Of Tranquility makes an easy 4 out of 5 overall. And if Tree Of Tranquility lives up to its hype as the biggest, most in-depth Harvest Moon game ever, my final judgment may wind up being more than 4 stars. Only time will tell, and any time playing Harvest Moon is time well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The next generation of Harvest Moon, October 8, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The feel and look of this version is like no other of Harvest Moon. I feel I'm playing a whole new type of game. The franchise has taken a HUGE step. I think the people who make this game took the good of the old games, and fixed the very annoying parts of the game.

Graphics: It is the most beautiful Harvest Moon yet. Leaves fall from trees, there is shading on everything. The ripples in the water look so real.

Music:This could be good or bad depending upon you. The music is average, but it can get rather annoying at times.

pros:
1.In every district of the island there is a shipment box that you can use to place the items you want to sell. So you don't have to keep running back home. There is also one close to the mine! There are multiples in the hill top plot (if you choose this place as your home)
2. In every store you can get money by getting a part-time job.
3. You can still go out and do what you need to do even if there's a typhoon or snowstorm!
4. During a festival, you can go in and out the festival as you please,you are not stuck in it. People walk around the island as normal. Stores are closed.
5. You're child attitude is determined by who you marry. When he/she grows up, you can play as the child! And you can pick it is a girl or boy.
6.You can ride a horse or ostrich around the island.
7. The animals come in different colors.
8. You can make a wild animal your pet.
9. If you are looking for someone, you can click on there name on the menu and a track will pop up. So you can find them in no time!
10. Just by ringing a big bell all the animals go outside and inside. No more wasting time putting the chickens outside!
11. Wild and farm products will not desepear. They will stay were they are until you pick it up.
12.For girls: the bachelors this around actually look nice. I've played many HM versions and always thought the designers always put in more effort on the bachelorets then the games. There is variety in characters of both genders.

cons: 1. The par-time job takes the whole day. So you should plan before you go to do a job.
2. You have to pull out weeds because they effect your crops. You can't ship them, and they take up a lot of energy.
3. The mines have gases just like in Magical Melody.
4. The camera takes time to get used to. It moves to different angles when you go to different areas, and sometimes you feel as if you are not seeing something important. The control does not give a very good camera option.
5. There is a bit of loading time whenever you go into a new section. It's not long enough for you to loose focus. I use it to go over my strategy quickly in my head. The game continues before you can even finish your thinking process.

fun: You can change outfits in the game. (not a necessity, but it's fun!)

different:Each type of animal has a life span and will die at the end of there life span.

same: I know many reviewers are complain about the stamina. I think they forget that in all HM games in the beginning it's like that. All you need is to upgrade your tools and eat power berries. Problem solved.

This is what I think of it so far. I'm only in the beginning of the game. I would recommend buying the guide though. There is so much to do and many secrets!

3.0 out of 5 stars Cool game, but for one problem..., November 11, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Love the game! However, it has a glitch that locks up the game on level ten in the mine. It does not allow you to progress. You start to hear a clue about fruit of the tree from Calvin, then the system freezes. My sister also has this game and the same thing happens on hers, so it isnt just a defect on my disc. Your only option is to power cycle the Wii. If you had not saved recently your progress is lost. And there is a story line that is unaccessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Farming at your finger tips, June 10, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility (HM- harvest moon)

Pros:
+ Can play as a girl or guy
+ 3 different plots to build your house on (makes for 3 different replayable game styles)
+ 4 total purchasable plots of land
+ Not a requirement to get married (other HMs your game would end if you didn't marry before the 2nd year)
+ Freedom! (unlike other HMs where you needed to adhere to a strict schedule, this one allows you to do whatever you want, whenever you want. There's no rush to get married, buy animals or even plant crops. You can spend all your time fishing, collecting or mining if you wanted. The game is finally a 'complete at your own pace' game and it's awesome!)
+ Better usage of stamina (now you only get tired if you perform an action, cutting grass, fishing, etc, but you can run around all day)
+ Set wake up times (other HMs would force your character to get 8 hours of sleep causing you to wake up late if you weren't able to get to bed on time, this one, you always wake up at 6, even if you got to sleep at 5:50, it's wonderful! You will need to go to sleep before 6 though otherwise your character gets tired, but they have wake up herbs and other means of getting around it if you wanted)
+ More realistic crops (you can harvest some crops repeatedly and they will continue to bear fruit through their season)
+ Upgradable tools (use less stamina the more you upgrade)
+ Proficiencies (affect a wider range. Being lvl 2 with the water can lets you water 3 squares in front of you. Lvl 3 waters a 3x3 grid)
+ New farm animals (ostrich, silk worms, ducks)
+ Mini-games
+ Up to 5 pets (12 different types, including a panda, penguin, and bear cub)
+ Huge map (plenty of places to explore, that change with the seasons)
+ Larger variety of crops
+ Larger variety of fish
+ Customizable house (upgrade your house up to 5 times, buy goodies for your house: tvs, refrigerators, ovens, etc)
+ Clothing (equip your character with the right clothes and accessories for the season)

Cons:
- Glitch for girl characters being unable to marry Calvin (game will freeze if you try)
- Minor text errors (that are misinforming but not game ruining: Green Bell is a Spring flower, when it's actually a Winter Flower, etc)
- Loading times (each transition from place to place takes you to a loading screen, annoying but easily overlooked)

Overall:
An awesome game farm sim game, that's highly addicting! I recommend highly! You will keep saying to yourself "I'll just play one more day.. just this last day" and before you know it you played a whole (game) week and have played the game late into the night. Sooo fun and great for all ages. Animals do have a lifespan and will die, but it's nothing that will scar younger children.

***
Don't like my review? Tell me why not by leaving a comment. That way I know what can be improved upon when writing reviews for you.
Like my review? Sweet! I'll keep on writing this way.

4.0 out of 5 stars Eat your heart out old Harvest Moons!, October 4, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I do have to agree with the first reviewer about it being incredibly annoying when your person runs out of stamina too quickly. One or two chops with the axe and it's lights out! I'm sure that will change though. Your character is supposed to get stronger the more work you do. All of the other aspects of this game are great! They blow the other harvest moons out of the water for me! A mine with level after level to explore and a ton of places to go. I like the part time job aspect, although I do wish it was something that you could actually do as opposed to just sitting there watching. The people are fun and the story line isn't so light and fluffy that I want to gag...it's keeping me interested for now. In all I think this is a great attempt...the best so far in my book!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Non violent fun, October 28, 2008
CK (Washington, DC - USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
All of the other reviews that I've read are from Harvest Moon veteran players. I'm a newbie so here's a review from someone who has never played any of the earlier versions.

HM has been around for 10 years (on different consoles obviously) and this is their 10th anniversary version. This is the first version made exclusively for the Wii.

HM is a farming sim game where you are a new arrival to a large enchanted island with hopes of becoming a rancher. You are given a small, simple house, a plot of land, and a little bit of gold to begin the game. You earn your livelihood by farming, ranching (making/selling yarn, mayo, butter, and cheese from the animal products), mining, fishing, cooking, and working part time jobs. With the money you make, you upgrade your house and tool quality, hire someone to build a barn, hire someone to build a chicken coop, buy animals to raise, buy seeds, buy new plots of land to farm, decorate your house, buy food and drink, and purchase clothes. There are four seasons in a year and 28 days in a season. Different plants and weather conditions exist in each season. In addition to the daily chores, there is also a mystery surrounding the island that you must solve. The island used to be more prosperous before the Goddess Tree died. Your mission is to bring another Goddess Tree to life.

Another feature of HM is that you choose to begin the game as a young single woman or a young single man. There are 7 eligible bachelors whom you could marry if your character is a girl and you've raised their affection level high enough or 8 eligible bachelorettes for male characters to marry. If you choose to wed, you will eventually have one child and have the option of starting the game anew using the child.

This is a game that you complete at your own pace. If you aren't quick about solving the Goddess Tree mystery, that's okay. The only thing that you need to hurry about is marrying the person you choose. If you don't marry the bachelor/bachelorette you desire quickly, he or she could marry one of the other eligible bachelors/bachelorettes.

When you begin the game, your character doesn't have much stamina and regains stamina after going to sleep for the night. At first, my character was running out of energy before noon when doing my tasks. Over time, your character's ability to complete tasks without getting worn out improves with improvements in skill, tool quality, and "power berries" that restores your stamina for the day and permanently increases your stamina capacity.

This game has no violence, sex, or anything that might be objectionable for young children to see. Animals may die of old age or if you don't take care of them (for example, they can catch a cold and die if they are left outside in the snow all night long), otherwise, there are no deaths in the game. It does have quite a bit of reading which makes it not appropriate for very young children to play because they wouldn't be able to read and follow the instructions. The game is rated E for Everyone.

I'll say that I've enjoyed the game, though it is taking me unconscionably long to complete compared to HM veterans. It took me several seasons to get the hang of it and figure out what I should be doing and how to be more efficient. It is easy to get sucked into the game because there is always some little task that needs to be completed (giving gifts to other residents, completing the harvest sprite rainbow recipe, tending to the animals, etc.).

I recommend this to people who like role playing games or want a non-violent, non-stressful game. If your favorite games are bloody shooting games, this is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Tenth, Harvest Moon!, October 9, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
If you are just now considering buy the game, it has a serious glitch regarding marry Calvin, you can't due to it freezing on the game screen. Natsume has said they are looking into this glitch, and are working on it now, but I don't know when/if they will get this done.

The Great:
This Harvest Moon has the most features yet, ranging from more animals (and many, many more pets), to more plants and activities to do (such as part time jobs).

The game is harder than other Harvest Moons (save for possibly it's partner, Island of Happiness for the NDS), so one must remember to start out small.

The controls can be done using the Classic Controller or the Wii-mote; so those of you who prefer the classic gaming feel will have their fun, while players (like me) who love the Wii-mote will enjoy things immensely.

The Good:
The characters have a lot more diversity, instead of one "being the shy quiet type" but still yacking away like the rest, these characters actually vary from kind to cruel, shy, to ridiculously outgoing (one even believes he deserves his own fan club!)

Sure, the voice acting isn't knock your socks off (not Rune Factory or anything), but it's far, far better than it was in Magical Melody, and a nice touch.

Also having been entirely redone is the weapon upgrade system; you upgrade equipment with items called Wonderfuls, which enhance your weapons in various ways, enabling you to highly customize your hoe, hammer, water can, et cetera.

The world is huge; you can find many, many townsfolk and areas to explore just in the first part of the game, and there is a lot to unlock.

The animals are adorable, and there are so many more to raise. Having a farm is a lot more fun, not to mention all the other tasks you can do in the game.

I find the music quite fitting, but it does get a little repetitive. Also, there isn't any awkward silences at night; the music quiets down instead of stopping at night instead of like all the other previous games.

And finally, the minigames are ridiculously fun and can be quite difficult.

The Bad:
It's still rather the same game in terms of marriage and friendships: give gifts and talk to them every day.

You definitely get used to it, but your character's voice is annoying. If you have chickens, petting one each day, you hear "there, there" eight times, etc.

The Just Plain Weird:
Every time you first meet a new bachelor(ette), they have white sparkles around their face. It's just a bit freaky.

The Ugly/Also Weird:
You can restart as your child, but when you do, the island simply resets; you don't look different, but your farm is fully done, and every available bachlor(ette) is eligable again (including your previous parent). It's quite odd, but most people are thinking of it as resetting the game, not as playing as your kid.

Good or Bad, you Decide:
This is the first game not done by the traditional artist. I personally like the style,but feel it is admittedly sub-par to the original artwork in all the other games. However, that only applies to the people, I feel the animals and scenery is far better done.

If you want all the video scenes; you will need two files, one to court all the boys (as a girl) and vice versa for courting all the girls.

Overall:
While I am somewhat wondering if this game was a bit rushed, I still find it's one of the better Harvest Moons; with all the new features, it might be the best. It's definitely worth playing. I gave it four stars for the first season in game, (first impression) because it can be hard to get hooked at first, but once you get going, this is the top Harvest Moon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Harvest moon game ever, October 6, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I pretty much I am a big Harvest Moon fan and I played most of the Harvest Moon games except the ones on the original Gameboy. I was a little disappointed with Harvest Moon Island of Happiness because of the touch screen controls, so I was a little pestimistic about buying the Tree of Tranquility, but man it was worth all the money.

So far, I am impressed with this game and find this game way addicting that I played this game for 30 hours total for three days starting Friday. On Friday, I played a couple of hours and then on Saturday I played for 13 hours. I still have not completed an entire year.

Anyways what I like about the Game is the flexibility of what controls you want to use, so you can use the nunchuk or the gamepad (which you have to buy separately). I used the Gamepad 99 percent of the game except for the minigames. But wished that Island of Happiness had that option of touch screen or button play, maybe I have to get used to the controls and play more.

Here is what I like about the game:

Yeah in the beginning you run out of energy quickly, but I go to Carmel Falls and take a bath and restore my energy, the problem is it is somewhat of a long walk to get to. Fishing is pretty easy to do and the tasks are straight forward. I like the fertilizer and how you play a 1x6 piece and the farming is really easy. You can pretty much take up the entire field and do not have to worry about plants blocking your way.
The mining part in finding the stairs is easy because most of the times you do not have to hammer away 100 rocks to find the stairs and just about 10 rocks at the most and then the best part is sometimes the stairs is right there. Going to the 30th floor in the mine was easy compared to Magic Melody where it took me 20 attempts to get to the 100th floor. You do not have to chop down the entire forest to get your first couple of upgrades. Hmm the Gameplay is straight forward and challenging for the first part.

Annoying parts of the game

Upgrading your tools. Yeah you save money doing it, but the pain is finding the ore itself. There are two grades a shining and a non-shining ore. You have to find the shining ore in order to upgrade your tool so if you find a gold ore that is not shining, well you can not upgrade your tool. Then, if it is shining you have to go to the jeweler to get it polished which I did not know until I bought the guide.
The winding paths are also annoying, but I guess it makes the game look unique and then the characters repeating what they say, but that is typical in every Harvest moon game. But these little things is something you can get over quickly. I wish there was more festivals as well like the other Harvest Moon games.

Other than that the game is fun and worth the $50.00 I paid at Best Buy and I even bought the guide too because I like looking at the pictures and needed help with the upgrade part and how to unlock characters and some little tips to improve my game. But Natsume did a great job on the game.

Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility - Nintendo Wii