Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on August 24, 2011
The Bible is under siege with many fundamentalist on the left, like professor Bart Ehrman of the University of North Carolina of Chapel Hill, and even President Barack Obama, without hesitation take pot shots at the Good Book, making fallacious arguments against the inerrancy of the text. Hank Hanegraaff, president of the Christian Research Institute and host of the Bible Answer Man radio broadcast, responds to these assertions in his latest book Has God Spoken? Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration.

Has God Spoken? is an invaluable resource on demonstrating that the Bible is divine rather than human in origin. In this book, Hank explores the manuscript evidence, which demonstrates that we can say with confidence that the text of the Scripture was faithfully transmitted to us. What we have now is an accurate and faithful reproduction of what was written by the biblical writers.

The way archeology corroborates the peoples, places, and things mentioned in the biblical narrative is also explored in Has God Spoken. Hank highlights key archeological discovers to demonstrate that the Bible is not just a book of fairy tales; rather, it faithfully narrates what had happened in the history of the ancients.

Predictive prophecy is likewise evidence that the Bible is divine rather than human in origin. One of the highlights of the prophecy section of Has God Spoken is Hank's take on the success of nations and abomination of desolations in the Book of Daniel. The Bible Answer Man makes a well reasoned case that God had revealed to Daniel in the 6th century BC things concerning the grand scheme of history that could not have been known otherwise. The Book of Daniel essentially predicted the rise and fall of four great empires (Babylon, Media, Persia, and Greece), the abomination of desolations in the second temple witnessed by the Jewish people during the reign of Antiochus IV Epiphanes, and a glimpse of the coming first century Christ. Hank also demonstrates how the Old Testament points forward to Jesus Christ in both typological and predictive prophecy.

All the facts demonstrating the Bible is divine rather than human in origin are complimented in the final section on Scriptural L-I-G-H-T-S, which offers helpful principles on biblical interpretation. God has indeed spoken; yet, the people need also to learn to read the Bible for all its worth so that they can understand what God has said.

The most helpful element of Hank's new book is the abovementioned points follow the easy to remember acronym MAPS, which stands for Manuscript COPIES (Copyist Practices; Oral Culture; Papyrus and Parchment; Internal Evidence; External Evidence; Science of Textual Criticism), Archeologist S-P-A-D-E (Steles and Stones; Pools and Fools; Assyrian Archaeology; Dead Sea Scrolls; Epic of Gilgamesh), Prophetic S-T-A-R-S (Succession of Nations; Typological Prophecy; Abomination of Desolation; Resurrection; Superstar ABCs), and Scriptural L-I-G-H-T-S (Literal Principle; Illumination Principle; Grammatical Principle; Historical Principle; Typology Principle; Synergy Principle).

Has God Spoken is certainly a book worth a read and something to be kept as a handbook and tool for reading and understanding God's Word.
on December 28, 2011
When I received this book in the mail I was very excited to read it. I am a long time student of the Bible; I'm no scholar, but I'm a fair enough student, and I am always open and eager to learn new things about THE most amazing book.

When I thumbed through the book, I was happy to see acronyms and cute little tricks with words that would provide a framework for memorizing the fundamentals of being able to describe the inerrancy of the Bible. I was grateful for this teacher-style approach by Hanegraaff because I could tell by the thickness of the book we'd be getting into some deeper waters together in between the major points of this handy outline.

Mr. Hanegraaff does provide quite a treasury of knowledge, data, sound logic and irrefutable facts. Forgivably, his opinions are filtered into the book as well. It's hard to speak about a book that we hold so dearly without leaking out a few of our own perspectives. I happen to agree with his preterist viewpoint on the end times and most of his eschatology, but I can see where it would be a bit annoying and maybe superfluous to the point for readers who hold a different view of the future. Since the book claims to be about the inerrancy Scripture and proving God actually inspired it, it seems off target to go as far into issues of eschatology that tend to trigger debate, and would therefore distract the reader.

Unfortunately, what is unforgivable, in my opinion, is the extreme amount of disrespect, and even slander, Hanegraaff aims at those who do not understand the Bible and unfortunately violently and publicly disagree with it. Going so far as to call one professor a "spiritual terrorist" early in the book, my respect for Hanegraaff was severely challenged at the onset. I felt like an innocent bystander who walked into the crossfire of a cultural debate so far removed from common knowledge that I had to go research the villains a bit just to get a grasp of where the author was coming from. Even as useful information continued to unfold throughout the text, the vitriol is obvious and persistent, and only the truly rich expository aspects of the book kept me hanging on by a thread to maintain respect for Hanegraaff and his work. I feel it is a huge detriment to his book and also a touch on the tragic side, since he is obviously a very gifted theologian and this work distracts the reader with a duel when it would otherwise strengthen the faith of many. Between the need for a lexicon (which is okay - I like to learn), and a mediator, it is an exhausting piece to read, and most of its merit and my positive takeaways remain in the simple little outline, which could have taken ten pages in a brief elaboration.

I wish Mr. Hanegraaff all the best in his future endeavors, and would encourage him to hold his pen at such an angle that the light can truly shine through his words, and so that his character does not get called into question with the mudslingers who have an excuse for being disgraceful - that is, that they are without His grace.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
33 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 22, 2011
Has God Spoken?
Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration
By Hank Hanegraaff
Published by Thomas Nelson

Hank Hanegraaff has answered the question posed in the title of his book, Has God Spoken? This non-fiction title includes memorable proofs of the Bible's divine inspiration from God to the writers of his word. Not only does Mr. Hanegraaff employ use of manuscript records and archeology to show proof of certain facts given throughout the Bible, but he gives both sides of many controversies concerning these issues. Throughout this book are numerous examples of so-called myths and lies of the Bible and how science has eventually proven them to be true accounts. Published in 2011, this book lists many recent findings by archeologists that are in total agreement with passages from the Bible.

As one who believes that the Bible is God's word given to men to pen down, I really enjoyed all the updated archeological findings that have proven certain passages. I believe this is a very thorough and well thought-out book that is a wonderful addition to any library. I will say that it is not an easy or light read. It is definitely written for students of the Bible, or for those who have at least some knowledge of the Bible.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who longs for substantial proof that God's word really is true. It is a book full of facts and does use some technical language, but if you want to know how to defend God's word, then this book is for you. I have to give this book a 4 star rating.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
on September 10, 2012
Hank has indeed written a commendable volume called "Has God spoken?". In this book, Hank uses manuscript evidence, archeology, predictive prophecy, and much more to memorably demonstrate that the Bible is divine rather than merely human in origin.

Hank indeed is a man of acronyms! There are acronyms within the acronyms; so much so that I will cherry-pick those I find useful.

To begin with, the Bible is not a single book, but a collection of 66 books (39 in OT, 27 in NT; note: "3*9" = 27), written by 40 different authors of various backgrounds ranging from kings, prophets, cupbearer, fisherman, etc over a span of 1500 years, in 3 different continents in 3 languages. With such diversity, we would expect the Bible to be a disjointed, chaotic account of stories packaged together in a book. Yet, this is not what we find despite most of the authors have not met each other due to the span of 1500 years. What is find is a coherent, cohesive message of a loving God in a rescue mission to redeemed fallen humanity through the work of Jesus Christ on the Cross. In fact, Jesus is the central theme of the Bible.

In this book, Hank gave various examples of manuscripts, as well as various archeological findings as part of the external evidences supporting the reliability of the Scripture.

Of course, in that book, Hank expounded heavily on the preterist view of eschatology that he holds on to. I don't share his view on this. However, just because I do not agree to his preterism view, does not mean that this book is not useful to me. Quite the contrary! In fact, I find a wealth of knowledge for future references. From this book, I learned of the Comma Johanneum - an insertion in 1 John 5:7-8. This was first inserted in the margins of several Latin manuscripts although none of the early church fathers used it for their defense on Trinitarianism against the Sabellians and Arians. It was then inserted into the Textus Receptus compiled by Erasmus of Rotterdam under intense pressure so as not to be seen to be opposing to the Trinitarianism doctrine (although Erasmus initially did not want to).

This book has also helped opened my mind to many other archeological evidences besides the Dead Sea Scrolls - something which I had not known before. As mentioned, there are so many acronyms in this book, some of which I do find to be rather cumbersome and redundant. However, my most favorited acronym in this book is the ABCDEFG of OT prophetic fulfillment in Jesus Christ:

A: Ancestry
B: Birthplace
C: Crucifixion
D: Date
E: Extraordinary miracles
F: Fulfill
G: Gentiles

(see also: [...] for a list)

In short, this is a good readable book - a reference material in fact. Highly recommended.
VINE VOICEon March 24, 2012
Seldom has a more timely book come across my desk at a more opportune time as this one did!

One thing that Hanegraaff does that can turn some off on his radio show is that he sometimes speaks over the head of his callers. A failure at times to lower his vocabulary to the level of his audience. I'm sure he has his reasons, but whatever the reason this book doesn't suffer with the same issues. It is easy to read, easy to digest, easy to understand and easy to remember.

Hanegraaff is renowned for the memorization techniques employed in his writings and this book likewise was written in a way that makes it easier to remember the arguments in favor of the "Bible being divine rather than human in origen." Even phrases like that one (taken directly from the author,) are drilled into the reader in Hanegraaff's repetitive writing style so that any read will retain more from this book than most.

The book covers manuscript evidence, textual criticism, reading the Bible as literature, Archaeology and more and it does it very well. In fact on several occasions I wondered what Old and New Testament 101 would have been like with these topics rather than the sometimes bland introductions and overviews we got in Bible school! Not only is this more interesting, but in this day when the Bible is under constant attack this book may be more relevant that a debate on the author of Hebrews or the textual criticism of the Pentateuch.

Which brings me to the only flaw into the book: not enough direct answers to critics of the Bible. I know that's not the point of the project but that's a book we need just as much. Many times Hanegraaff shows the failure by critics like Dr. Bart Ehrman but I'd like to see a book of rebuttals. Maybe Hanegraaff can work on that for his next project.

This is a timely, engrossing and well written overview of why the Bible is trustworthy and can be legitimately viewed as the direct revelation of God without blind faith. Highly recommended.

This book was provided by the publisher as a review copy.
on September 30, 2011
This book is second to none that I know in its presentation of the evidences for God's supernatural revelation of Scripture. As well as the plethora of outside evidences given in Hank's book, the reader will begin to see that God's Word is its own proof of divine origin. Only an all knowing/powerful being could orchestrate and record a single story of His Kingdom from its initial rejection to its renewal including: The many shadows, signs, and types of the OT and the progressive revelation they and the covenants provide pointing to the procurator of the NT (literally: New Covenant - Jesus). Using many people, nations, cultures, centuries, and circumstances; God reveals His Kingdom and redemption plan for all peoples.
If you're looking for a book that offers astonishing revelation which underscores the veracity of God's revelation, this is the book. I give it five full stars because the evidence therein is virtually comprehensive yet concise, technical enough to withstand scrutiny, and understandable enough for the unfamiliar. Hank uses classic/logical examples and contemporary anecdotes that I will continually reference in the future. This book will leave the earnest reader at the least - contemplatively aroused, challenged, and engaged and at best - praising and thanking God the Spirit for an unparalleled collection of genres of literature that complete a divine canon which leaves no reasonable doubt that it is divine!
VINE VOICEon January 27, 2013
In 'Has God Spoken?', Hank Hanegraff does a fairly good job of demonstrating the divine inspiration of the Bible.

The best part of this book is the author's introduction of some acronyms to help readers remember key concepts in the book. The material itself, while good, is not unique. There are several other works out there that have much of the information in this volume.

The biggest weakness is Mr. Hanegraff's injection of his eschatological views. These are certainly not essential to the stated purpose of the book and add nothing.

Overall, this is a worthwhile read and the memory aids may be very helpful for many readers.
on January 11, 2013
The book, Has God Spoken? By Hank Hanegraaff has the subtitle, Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration. The purpose of the book is to provide reasons one can trust the Bible to be the Word of God. To do this, Hanegraaff breaks his book in to four parts or MAPS. Part one deals with "Manuscripts C-O-P-I-E-S", which deals with how the manuscripts were transmitted and some information on textual criticism. Part two deals with the "Archaeologist S-P-A-D-E", which gives some of the archaeological evidence used to support the Biblical texts. Part three deals with "Prophetic S-T-A-R-S", which helps the reader understand the fulfillments of Bible prophecy and part four is "Scripture L-I-G-H-T-S", which deals with Biblical interpretation, because many misunderstandings can be cleared up by proper interpretation.

Hanegraaff really likes acronyms. Each of the parts is broken down with an acronym that addresses a different line of reasoning. I know that this can be helpful for many folks to remember some of the points and the different lines of reasoning that Hanegraaff offers.

When I got the book, I first noticed its size. It was nearly 400 pages, but then I noticed that about 80 of those pages were in the form of chapter notes, bibliography, and indexes by subject and verse. This turns out to be a good thing, not just because it shortened the length of the book, but also because it added a lot to the extension possibilities for topics to be further investigated.

This is especially helpful because the presentation of information is not done at a high level, that is, Hanegraaff does a good job and making this information accessible to the layperson. Most individual points are only about 10 pages each. Again, this is good because he gives a quick overview of each section versus an in-depth look at the topics. Using the valuable resources in the appendix will help extend the learning for those interested in going deeper.

For anyone interested in a good introductory book that will help you understand the uniqueness of the Bible and reasoning for why we can trust the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, this is a good place to look.

(Disclosure: In exchange for an honest review, Booksneeze had provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.
on November 23, 2011
I am in a quandary as to where I even start in trying to review Has God Spoken? Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration by Hank Hanegraff, Host of Bible Answer Man! It is packed with information: external history, Noah's flood, copyist practices, archeology, the dead sea scrolls, prophecies, and so much more--definitely not a light read. Thankfully, the author used acronyms throughout the book to maintain structure and to brace against any wanderings in memory.

This book is Christian apologetics above and beyond. It took me quite some time to finish mostly because I wanted think through each segment thoroughly before continuing. The amount of in-depth information could be overwhelming, but the writing style is accommodating and enjoyable.

I think this paragraph in the book states it well:

Finally, we should carefully note the elegant tapestry that serves as an internal evidence for the divine authorship of the biblical text. The tapestry of Scripture is a divine composite of surpassing brilliance and beauty. It is simply incredible that this exquisite masterpiece is fashioned from sixty-six books, written by forty different human authors in three different languages (Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek), over a period of fifteen hundred years, on thousands of different subjects, and yet is unified and consistent throughout. How is that possible? The individual writers had no idea that their message would eventually be assembled into one Book, yet each work fits perfectly into place with a unique purpose as a synergistic component of an elegant masterpiece.

on January 13, 2012
I recently had the opportunity to read and review Has God Spoken Proof of the Bible's Divine Inspiration by Hank Hanegraaff and I am so glad I did! This book was great, and a very intense read. It took me quite a while to get through this one, not because I didn't like it or didn't want to read it, but because it was so intense that I could only read a few pages at a time. I wanted to let every word sink in, and have time to stew around before continuing. This was the first time I found myself underlining and taking notes in a book I picked up for pleasure reading. This book was divided into 4 sections and each section had a unique approach to proving Biblical truths, and each section chose a different manner in which to prove the truth. The four sections were Manuscript C-O-P-I-E-S, which focused on the copyists and the available manuscripts to prove the author's stance. The second section is Archaeologist's S-P-A-D-E, which focuses on artifacts and archaeological evidence. Thirdly is Prophetic S-T-A-R-S which focuses on the fulfillment of Biblical prophecy. Lastly but certainly not least is Scriptural L-I-G-H-T-S which focuses on the rules, art, and science of scriptural interpretation.

As a Christian it is often easy to simply state our beliefs as fact, however if we are to be taken seriously by the opposing side then we must be able to offer proof to back up our stance. This book gives quite a bit of that. Reading Has God Spoken was quite a spiritual experience for me, I mean I've always known the Bible was true, but it was quite moving to see proof in front of me. One part that I found particularly interested is when Mr. Hanegraaff suggested that the absence of the original Biblical manuscripts was indeed proof of it's divine inspiration, his reasoning I'll leave you to find out for yourself because I would hate to spoil your enjoyment of this great book! This book is certainly going to be a keeper on my shelf, and with shelf space at a premium in my home this is the highest form of a compliment.

In exchange for my review I was provided a free copy of the book from BookSneeze. I was not required to give a positive review, and all opinions in this review are strictly my own.