Customer Discussions > Rocksmith Guitar And Bass forum

Has anyone installed this on Windows XP?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 21, 2012 12:01:34 PM PDT
Nick Dickson says:
Have you been able to play this on Windows XP?
What specifications did you need to have?
What was you experience like with the game?

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:08:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2012 10:08:43 PM PDT
I gave it a try on an old (2005) sony viao laptop with XP Pro. It took about 3 to 4 hours to install it. I think it is all installed properly, no actually problems. But when I try to run it, I just get a full screen of black with the Rocksmith logo in the bottom right, and nothing ever happens. Have to kill the power to get out of that screen. Probably the computer is just way under spec, so I can't confirm or deny that XP is a problem.

Now I am putting Parallels & Windows 8 on my top of the line iMac (well it was until yesterday...) to see if Rocksmith will work on that. If it does, then I'll try it on a macbook pro also, cause I really want it on a laptop. If it doesn't, I guess I'll break down and go to the site and read the requirements, and go buy whatever I need to run it. Hopefully there is some laptop that will qualify!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:23:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 7, 2012 4:43:01 AM PST
AndyL says:
I have got it working on Windows 7 (32 Bit) on my 13 inch MacBook Pro. I bought Windows to run Rocksmith - I was very unsure if I should go 64 Bit or 32 Bit Windows but after UBI Soft said that both are supported I decided that 32 Bit would be more compatible with most other applications I have. BTW UBISoft say Rocksmith doesn't work with Windows 8...
I forget the exact model of 13 inch MacBook Pro that I have but it is about 9 months old, and is very similar to the current model but has a slightly slower processor (i5 Processor at 2.3GHz) and a smaller disk (350GB). Still has 4GB RAM.
That black screen with the logo is displayed on my laptop for some time (never timed it but it could be 10 to 30 seconds) whilst Rocksmith is initialising...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:50:34 PM PST
I'm going to try to find a copy of windows 7 and run it under bootcamp. It sort of worked on windows 8 / parallels VM. Couldn't get past the tuning step, the strings wouldn't reliably play on the computer. I'd get through tuning each string, then it would do the "one final check", and not all the strings would play. So I couldn't get past that. I bet it would work under bootcamp, but that isn't ready to run Windows 8 without a lot of hassle as far as I can figure out. So I am on the search to buy Windows 7 if I can still get it. Seems like I can find upgrades, but I need a full copy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:12:18 AM PST
Suzi says:
I have a Macbook Pro and am interested in getting the computer version of Rocksmith. I have it on Xbox but I want the ability to use it anywhere/anytime. Not just in my living room. Any idea if it works on a Macbook or what I would need to make it work?

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 1:47:59 AM PST
jef p. says:
I tried installing the demo version of rocksmith to my Windows 7 bootcamp on a 2010 Macbook Pro, however, whenever I tried to launch it, I get a Video Error: Unable to initialize graphics system.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 6:49:51 AM PDT
Scott Shorey says:
If you want it to work on a Macbook you need to use Bootcamp and install Windows. It is not Mac compatible, but I have seen posts from people that say it did work on Windows installed on a recent spec Macbook.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2013 3:54:36 PM PDT
Rick Dunkin says:
Yes, I got it to work on an xp laptop that was underpowered. USB 1.1, X1400 video etc. It isn't as great as on my better machine but it works. I suspect an xp machine with usb 2 and a good video card would run ok. I posted details on steam in the Rocksmith forum.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  7
Total posts:  8
Initial post:  Oct 21, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Rocksmith Guitar And Bass
Rocksmith Guitar And Bass by Ubisoft (Windows 7 / Vista)
3.9 out of 5 stars   (306)