4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe I Was "Clue-less" For So Long!
Published on December 2, 2001 by Lee DeWald

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get what I thought I was getting.
Published on January 11, 2009 by Joy4719

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't Believe I Was "Clue-less" For So Long!, December 2, 2001
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
I just played this game for the first time a few days ago. One of my roommates had it, but we had never played it. And I will admit that it took me a while to catch on; it probably didn't help that four people were all trying to tell me at the same time how the game was to be played and instead of getting an overdose of what to do, I had no clue (no pun intended). But after a couple games, I started to get a feel for how the game is to be played. And then I thought it was a lot of fun.
The purpose of "Clue" is to find out who murdered Mr. Boddy. Was it Mrs. Peacock in the Conservatory with the Wrench? Or was it Mr. Green in the Lounge with the Candlestick? Perhaps it was Ms. Scarlett in the Library with the Rope? With so many people, places and objects to choose from, figuring who did the dirty deed, where he or she did it, and what he or she did it with can be mind-boggling.
I was playing with seasoned veterans the first time I played it, so of course I got murdered (no pun intended again) the first couple of times I played it. But I'll explain how to avoid this below.
Fun: This game is a lot of fun once you catch on. It can quickly become addictive, which I think is what happened to me. After every game I was like, "Let's play again!" when everyone else had had enough. When I win for the first time, then enough will be enough. But until then . . .
Educational Value: Definitely a game that will make you think, not to mention strategize. Here's a tip on how NOT to get hammered the first couple of times you play. Don't focus in on just one thing at once. The mistake I made was trying to focus in on just who did it, for example, while everyone else was taking equal stabs at who did it, where, and with what. By the time you figure out who did it, someone else has already figured out everything else. Then it's like, "Well, hey now, wait a minute. I haven't even begun to start working out where the murder took place and what the murder was done with." That is my advice. That's experience talking, folks.
Durability: This game is pretty durable. It's your standard board game with cards and a single dice. Just as long as the dog or something doesn't decide to use it for a chew toy, I think you'll be all right.
In short, give "Clue" a try. It's definitely a challenge, one that I haven't figured out yet, and it has enough twists and turns to keep you hooked for hours. The game changes every time you play, so it's not like you're ever going to get bored with it.
Don't continue to be "clue-less" like I was (okay, now THAT was a pun)!

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless classic you can't wear out! 5 stars!, January 18, 2001
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
As another reviewer quipped, I played it as a child, I play it as an adult. I must admit that I hadn't played this game for a long time, but when my 8-yr old son pulled it out of the game closet at Gma's house we had a great time. My son enjoyed it so much that he asked for a copy for Christmas...and Santa willingly obliged.
We now play "Clue!" regularly. It's a great family game. Now that our children are beyond "Candyland" and "Chutes and Ladders" we are happy to move on to games like this one.
Just in case you've been off planet for the past 30 years or so, here's how the game works:
Up to 6 players roll a dice and move their marker around a board that represents a mansion as they seek out which person in the game was the murderer, what the murder weapon was, and which room the murder was committed in. If you are clever enough maybe you'll be the first one to figure out "who done it!"
A great family game (as long as you don't think about the murder aspect too much), and the game's never the same twice...and if it is you'll never know until it's all over.
"Clue!" is a timeless classic that is destined to be around for a long, long time!
Good luck, and pass the rope, er...popcorn
Alan Holyoak

5.0 out of 5 stars Turn a Miss Marple story into a board game and get CLUE!, August 5, 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
This game was everyone's favorite when I was in elementary school. On rainy days people would call up all their friends and ask them to come over and play Clue. The idea was to collect as many people as possible because more players makes the game harder, longer, and more fun. However, it is still a good game with only two or three people, and having fewer players makes it easier for younger kids and beginners. The game is entertaining and challenging because of the mystery aspect and because logic and strategy as well as luck are required to win. Unlike many board games, you are not restricted to a single path, and you can't tell who is going to win untill the end, so players don't get discouraged because they are "behind". Clue is easy to learn and doesn't require any esoteric strategies, but it remains challenging and fun for adults - I'm in college now and I still enjoy it (although I'm afraid I don't have the chance to play it very often.)
Clue is an indelible, if very minor, pop culture icon that most people who were kids any time in the last 20 years or so will identify with- between the game and the movie, if you say Colonel Mustard did it in the library with the candlestick to someone and they don't catch the reference, you should immediately try to compensate for their deprived childhood by ordering them their own copy of this game.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't get what I thought I was getting., January 11, 2009
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
I have played Clue since I was a child and I bought this product for my grandson. He had played it and liked it. I have an old game and I was buying him his own. Mine has the regular colored pieces to move representing Miss Scarlett, Col Mustard, etc... From the picture of the product,the play pieces of Miss Scarlett, Col Mustard, etc. should have been little statues which looked like the actual people. I was very disappointed when he opened the game and I saw cheap plastic play pieces. The old ones in my set would have been better. The pictures of the games are deceptive. You don't get what you think. I could have gone to Wal-Mart and only paid $10.00. This game cost almost 3 times that. Disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Board Game Ever Is... Clue!, August 15, 2002
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
This is the best toy in the world! I don't own a Clue board game
but when my friend brought it to school on Game Day, I couldn't stop playing. Besides it's a perfect classic! Parker Brothers games are SOO cool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clue-A Timeless Game of Murder., January 2, 2007
A Kid's Review
Clue is one of those special games that really capture your intrest. It is inventive, fun, and has that perfect atmosphere of trying to figure out who killed Mr. Xavier Boddy. What was he murdered with? And where? You get an assortment of colourful characters from the femme fatale, Miss Evelynne Scarlett, to the intellegent, yet absent-minded Prof. Benjamin Plum. The implements range from the exoticly deadly Dagger to the forbidding, grimy peice of Lead Piping. The rooms are elegant, a proper for a mansion like Boddy's. After all, every good mansion has a Conservatory, or Library, Ballroom, and even a Billiards Room. After a rousing go around, you carfully make your duductions that always create part of the fun.

Part of why this game is so successful is that it is simple to learn, and easy to catch on to, the premise is fascinating and it doesn't drag on for too, too long. It has a definitive end to it, which happens to be when you make a correct accusation. Hence, this is the fault of other games like Monopoly. It takes too long to reach the end of the game before you get bored and lose your intrest.

Now if you just want the game for fun, then any edition will do, but if your one who enjoys the artwork that is ever so present in Clue, then read further. Personally Hasbro has made a terrible step in creating the recent edition of Clue. The cubistic work is an intresting concept but is done in a terrible manner. The characters look bland, stereotypical, and unintresting, and the rooms and weapons are not only NOT cubist but have been recycled from previous editions. Hence if you want to get a game of Clue that has a much more appealing look, I advice to track down one of the older editions. There art in those versions are much less cartoonish, and stupid. The new versions of Clue, inclueding Clue FX, Clue Mysteries and the DVD game are a disgrace.

But art aside, Clue will always be a favourite of mine, and on a final note, it was Mrs. Peacock with the Revolver in the Study!

1.0 out of 5 stars MISLEADING REVIEWS!!!, November 4, 2012
BUYER BEWARE!!

If you are reading these reviews then this will likely be IMPORTANT TO YOU!

I don't know what Amazon and/or Hasbro is trying to pull here. The majority of the reviews for the product pictured in the primary image and evidently being sold, pre-date this particular edition and are referencing the TRADITIONAL edition of Clue, most likely the last traditional version sold from 2002-2008 (the one with the miniature figurines as moving tokens). There is a separate product page for this exact same edition of the game currently being sold here, which has reviews specific to this edition of the game.

So the REVIEWS ARE MISLEADING. The product page established in 2008 FOR THIS GAME has the correct rating for it -- an average of THREE AND A HALF STARS and NOT the FOUR AND A HALF STARS given to the traditional game of Clue from 2002 this particular listing was originally set up to sell, and incorrectly depicted on the other three representative images for the edition being sold.

BOTTOM LINE -- READ THE REVIEWS FOR THE OTHER LISTING FOR THIS EDITION BEFORE BUYING!! THOSE ARE THE CORRECT REVIEWS which express many buyers disappointment in the horrible reinvention Hasbro tried to foist on an unsuspecting public. It represents a shallow, narcissistic, vain image, with emphasis on money, popularity, rumor, gossip, and tabloid sensationalism. The characters are egotistical socialites, with no redeemable qualities, stereotyping women as starlets and social butterflies, the men as celebrities and club hoppers, stressing the importance of material possessions, and social networking over deductive reasoning. It's also unnecessarily complicated, includes baffling rules that allow for elimination of players well before the game is over. Unlike the traditional edition which is set in a different time, using farcical stereotypes of a bygone era, this reinvention places the action square inline with today's pop-culture and social mores, the line between acceptable behavior and pretend in a family game may be unacceptably blurred for younger players, and at a minimum tedious for adults.

The MOST HELPFUL REVIEW which comes up first for the game they will sell you on this listing, is for the TRADITIONAL version of Clue, beloved by millions worldwide and remained unchanged for over 60 years. It is by no means written for or endorsing the NEWER version they will ship you.

Again, I don't know what Amazon is doing here, because there are many third party sellers who most likely are selling the correct edition (the one with the miniature figurines as moving tokens) who are not able to sell their games because buyers can't find it. Amazon is doing a major disservice to their sellers here. Moreover, this shouldn't happen as each product should have a distinct identification number to prevent this from happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mystery heaven for kids!, October 10, 2000
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
With paper and pen in hand, we would cross off all the suspects as we knew they were no longer suspect. We did this in a most serious way, determined we would find out who the murderer was, who did it and what they used to do it. Sounds awful, but kids don't think of it that way.

Before the game starts, three cards are selected and put into a small paper envelope. Just make sure no one sees the cards. Then let the game begin and learn to look for clues, analyze the results of your choices and as soon as you think you have figured it out, you can look at the cards. If you are wrong, you are out of the game...so be really sure! I enjoyed this game until I was about 12. I play it now and then with my nieces.

~The Rebecca Review

4.0 out of 5 stars clue rules, December 15, 2006
A Kid's Review
Me and friends play this for hours!! We always love finding out who did the murder. This is a good game for family gatherings, and when you're bored. This is a great holiday present. I would buy the new DVD one too. The only bad thing is little kids can't play because you have to know how to read and also you need at least 3 players to play. But overall it's a very good game. I don't recommend it for kids under 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still dreaming of Miss Scarlett in the Coservatory.........., March 11, 2002
David J. Gannon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Clue (Toy)
Clue is one of those classic board games that, despite the onslaughts of video games and the "trendy game of the month" never seems to die.
Obviously, there has to be an intrinsic appeal to any game that remains so popular for so long a period. In this case, it's the allure of a murder mystery. I have acquaintances who insist that kids aren't as enamored of the mystery genre as adults. If that's true, then explain the continuing popularity of Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys and their many modern imitators. The fact is, we all love solving mysteries.
The beauty of Clue is two fold. The first is that it allows our imaginations to run wild is a sort od stream of consciousness way. So we can posit-and play out in our minds-the various possibilities: Mrs. White in the Ballroom with the candlestick, or Colonel Mustard in the Kitchen with the pistol or and or and or.......
The other aspect is there ere are enough characters, rooms and weapons that the combinations and permutations available to allow for what, to all appearances, anyway, seems like an infinite amount of possibilities. This allows each game to seem fresh and new, even if you've played a lot in a short period of time.
The game allows for bluffing and conniving-classic elements of any murder investigation worth its salt--as well as strategizing, gamesmanship and melodrama.
The only down side is that there are a lot of pieces-a die, character pieces, cards, weapons, etc., to keep track of. Also, finding replacement "detective pads" is a royal pain-save a few blanks take copies of for long term use.
Those are quibbles though. This is a great game the whole family can play, enjoy-and, most importantly-win at.
Clue is a game that should be on every family game shelf!

Clue