5.0 out of 5 stars We love this game!
Published on October 21, 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest packaging
Published on December 26, 2010 by Brandon Anderson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest packaging, December 26, 2010
This review is from: Scrabble Crossword Game (Toy)
I'm guessing you didn't come here for a review of the game Scrabble itself, unless you've been living on another planet for the last century. Scrabble is great, always one of my favorites, and a highly recommended game for literally everyone. With that said, this is the version you'll buy if you just want a cheap, simple, low budget type to give to your kids or to give as a gift or award for something. There's nothing terrible about it, but there's nothing great there either. The board is flimsy, the tiles don't always match each other, and the material is simply cheap. It will get the job done just fine, but you're getting what you pay for here.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love this game!, October 21, 2003
This review is from: Scrabble Spanish (Toy)
I'm a Spanish teacher and I found this game in a closet when I started teaching at my current school. I only teach the first two years of Spanish. To play the game entirely in Spanish is difficult and takes forever with new learners. We play in Spanish and English. If the student plays an English word they receive the normal amout of points. If the student plays a Spanish word he/she receives double the point value in addition to any extra points offered by the squares on the board. We had a 72 point Spanish word the other day. It is great fun and the students bury themselves in Spanish dictionaries trying to find the next big word!

5.0 out of 5 stars great game, but one complaint..., October 23, 1999
This review is from: Scrabble Crossword Game (Toy)
I love Scrabble and bought this item to replace an older set. I'd give it five stars, and it probably should still get five since the game is the same, but.... Here are my aesthetic 'issues' with this newer release of the flat board and wood tile version:
1) the playing area is not centered in the folding board; very displeasing
2) the tiles are made of lighter wood (pine instead of oak? I don't know my woods, but this one is light)
3) the tile trays are less rounded and more squared-off in profile (yes, this is very picky)
This game mas previously been produced by both Milton-Bradley and Shelchow & Righter, and both did a better job than Hasbro with this one. Consider the small travel version with a plastic grid and small, thick wood tiles -- even for home use, that's how disappointing this one is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spanish can be better, November 15, 2003
Efrain Rivera Jr. "UltraJ" (Anasco, PR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Scrabble Spanish (Toy)
I live in Puerto Rico. My friends and I usually play in both in English and Spanish at the same time. But if you what to learn Spanish I will recommend playing the game entirely en Español. I will give you the pros and cons of this version:
Pros:
1. You can make higher scores in Spanish. K-8 points, W-8 points, Q-8 points but much easier to use, LL-8 points, RR-8 points, Ñ-8 points, and it is much easier to get rid of all your letters than in English.
2. Spanish words are written just as you pronounce them (that is why there are no Spanish spelling bees).
3. You can learn Spanish in a fun way, plus the game can be used in English and it has a couple more vowels.
Cons:
1. There are no really good Spanish dictionaries, other than the Spanish Royal Academy Dictionary (Amazon has it at a reasonable price). And no Spanish Scrabble dictionary is to be found. This will make it hard on verb conjugation.
Whether you play it in Spanish or English or both the Spanish tiles are definitely better. Go ahead and try this version. Come on, you know you what to.

4.0 out of 5 stars the board will not lay flat ., November 16, 1999
This review is from: Scrabble Crossword Game (Toy)
the board will not lay flat and this presents a real inconvenience. otherwise the game is wonderful and stimulating to the mind. As I said however, am disenchanted with the board construction.

5.0 out of 5 stars great learning tool, July 28, 2001
This review is from: Scrabble Spanish (Toy)
I ordered one of these for me since I am learning Spanish. When I played with my friends, they requested one also and I had to order two more.
If you like the english version of scrabble, and are learning or already know spanish, you will love this game.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Old Version of Spanish Scrabble!, November 27, 2003
This review is from: Scrabble Spanish (Toy)
I'm bilingual (Spanish/English) but my elderly mother's command of English is limited. Decades ago we bought a "foreign edition" Scrabble set, manufactured by Selchow & Righter Co. of Bay Shore, NY. Our set is truly a Spanish version, lacking "k" but with "ñ," "ll," and "rr" (the latter two no longer individual letters in Spanish) and with plenty of the more common vowels in the Spanish language. The letter values differ from the English values, commensurate with their degree of usage in each language. The last copyright notice on the Spanish game is from 1953. We bought it in the early 70's. Why didn't Hasbro follow this edition for their Spanish version? It is definitely a more accurate and educational one!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best games ever invented, June 28, 2000
This review is from: Scrabble Crossword Game (Toy)
Scrabble is one of the best, most challenging games invented. Up to four players choose seven letter tiles each, and they must use them to produce words that connect with other tiles already on the board to form horizontal and vertically arranged words -- like a crossword puzzle. Sound easy to play? It is. But it's not easy to master.
I grew up playing this game, and now that my children are learning to read they are being introduced to the game.
The only complaint I've heard about the game is that it can take a while to finish. That aside, this is an excellent game -- it makes players think not only about what words they can make with their letters, but about game strategy as well. That is, how to best use their letters to maximize their own score while providing as few opportunities for opponents to build.
A great game for building critical thinking and spelling and vocabulary skills.
5 stars all the way!

5.0 out of 5 stars S_C_R_A_B_B_L_E spells fun in my book!, July 1, 1999
What a game!
Besides Scrabble, how many other board (or is it bored?) games can boast these qualities?
- It's entertaining. No matter how many times you play, you will never, ever play the same game twice.
- It's educational. You improve in the game by improving your vocabulary. What other game will cause your kids to grab for a dictionary with enthusiasm?
- It's not flashy or made of grody plastic. Nope, Scrabble's got a board and nice little wooden pews to hold the little wooden tiles.
- It involves strategy and chance. Winning Scrabble gives some serious boasting rights compared to other board games such as Life, where a lot depends on blind luck. Yet chance does play a role in Scrabble, because which letters you draw determines how your game will proceed.
All in all, I can not think of another board game other than chess, checkers and a few other classics, that I have actively played as many times or with as much enjoyment as Scrabble. My mother would be proud to hear me say it, too.
Buy this game. Force your kids to play. Don't let them win. You'll be surprised when they eventually beat you, and they'll thank you for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Scrabble is the ultimate board game!, April 17, 2002
This review is from: Scrabble Crossword Game (Toy)
Scrabble is the ultimate board game. In the game (for 1-4 players), you try to get the highest score by forming crosswords of the highest possible values. When it is your turn, you have to put down a word on the board, which connects with a word that is already on the board. You get points by taking advantage of the letter values, as well as premium squares which can double or triple the letter values, or double or triple the word value! This game has given me hours of fun, and I have learned many new words in the meantime.

What I don't like about the Standard version of Scrabble is that my tiles always seem to slide out of place and create a mess. If your willing to pay a little more, you should check out the Deluxe version of Scrabble which includes a raised grid, in which your tiles easily fit into, and a special bag which, makes the storage of tiles easy, and makes drawing tiles easier too. I personally love the Deluxe version, but the Standard version of Scrabble is still good.

Scrabble Crossword Game