The 80s were such a fun and visual decade, it would have been nice if this game had an audio or visual component. A DVD would have been nice. Even if they didn't go the DVD route, if there were cards with pictures and a person had to name the item on the picture (like say a Rubik's cube) that would have been nice.

This is not the only 80s related game on the...
Published on December 7, 2006 by Dorrie Wheeler

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected
From the outside of the box I assumed it was going to be an 80s pop culture trivia. I tried to play it with 3 other people (all of which were children in the eighties) and the questions were very hard. I think if you were an adult in the 80s this is perfect, but if you grew up at that time this is not for you.
Published on January 9, 2007 by M. otting

4.0 out of 5 stars Still waiting for the Ultimate 80s Gaming Experience, But This is Nice, December 7, 2006
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)

This is not the only 80s related game on the market. There is "The 80s Game," "Vh-1/Targets We Are The 80s" board game and "Name That Tune 80s Edition."

How does Trivial Pursuit 80s Edition measure up?

The game is nice. When you open the box you find the neatly folded game board. There are four player pieces--a care bear looking bear, a personal computer, a CD and a Trapper Keeper. There is also one die and the other small pieces used with the board game.

Four sets of trivia cards are included. The question categories include Headlines, TV, Movies, Music, Sports & Leisure, and Wild Card.

I will say the questions are better than they are in the I Love The 80s Game. The questions are challenging and varied in nature.

Here are a few sample questions-

"What British hair band topped the chart only one time with "Here I Go Again?" (music)

"What Aaron Spelling show was slated to star Bette Davis in her first weekly series until she took ill and was replaced by Anne Baxter?" (TV)

"What former Speaker of the House cashed in on his celebrity by appearing in ads for American Express and Miller Light?" (WC)

The game also comes with a travel game. The travel game features questions from Trivial Pursuit volume 6 which isn't 80s related.

In the age of Scene It, Trivial Pursuit 80s Edition is essentially another board game--except with 80s related questions. In comparison to the other 80s games on the market, this game has the best question assortment. It will be a fun game to play if you play with people who know a lot about the 80s. However, in my opinion, there is still no ultimate 80s game on the market.

Scene It games aren't always the answer because you can quickly start to see the same clip more than once. Someone needs to design an 80s game with visual card cues, an audio and a DVD component.

Until then, well we can just wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Awesome!, December 28, 2006
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
As Christmas was fast approaching, I hinted rather forcefully to my husband, expressing my great desire for owning Trivial Pursuit Totally 80's. To my great delight, he got it for me as a present. YAY!

But what good is it to have a game and no one to play with? See, I tend to clean up when it comes to Trivial Pursuit Genus Edition and, alas, no one will play with me! However, my husband agreed that he would, indeed, play the 80's version with me, especially since we were in the midst of this glorious decade from the ages of 10-19.

Can you believe that my rascally husband beat the pants off me the first time we played it?! The reason I mention this is because I feel that the 80's version of Trivial Pursuit will appeal to anyone who loves the decade of decadence, even if they aren't trivia (or board game) enthusiasts like my husband.

Not surprisingly, the packaging is excessive: rather than include the four stacks of cards in the questions box, they are individually nestled. There are four decorative game pieces straight from the 80's: a caramel colored Care Bear with a red and pink heart on its stomach, an old fashioned computer, a CD, and a purple Mead Trapper Keeper (OMG, remember those?!). The board is formatted like the Genus Edition, except this one has wild fluorescent colors and different categories. Game play, however, is exactly the same: work your way around the six category "stations" to earn colored "pie slices", then enter the center hub on an exact count--answering, correctly, a question chosen from the category of the opponents choice.

The six categories are:

* Blue - Headlines

* Pink - Television

* Yellow - Movies

* Purple - Music

* Green - Sports and Leisure

* Orange - Wild Card

Deciding to make Sports and Leisure green for the 80's edition was a bit confusing, at first, since the Genus edition has this category as orange! You'd think they'd make Sports and Leisure orange and the Wild Card category green...

My husband and I had a BLAST playing Trivial Pursuit Totally 80's. I couldn't BELIEVE it when he got a Music question asking "Which Rush frontman..." Because I'm a rabid Rush fan, even dragging my husband to the 30th anniversary concert, he knew it was Geddy Lee right away! Too funny!

Here are a few of the questions found in the 80's edition:

Headlines: "What automaker confessed to selling 40 cars damaged in test drives as new, in 1987?"

Television: "What surname did the Growing Pains family get, to honor a Mets pitching ace?"

Movies: "What pro wrestler played the grizzled commando in Predator armed with a hand-held helicopter minigun he called `Old Painless'?"

Music: "What four country legends toured together as the Highwaymen?"

Sports and Leisure: "What was the only team to win two World Series during the 1980's?"

Wild Card: "What 1988 novel told the tale of two Indian actors transformed to look like an angel and a devil?"

If you love the 80's, the Trivial Pursuit Totally 80's game is lively, fun, and, at times, totally hilarious! Not only that, you'll learn something, too!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, January 9, 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A Blast From The Past, January 13, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
This great game takes you back to the 80s with lots of fun and challenging trivia questions. The game pieces even remind you of the 80s. They include a Trapper Keeper notebook, a Care Bear, an IBM Personal Computer, and a 33 rpm phonograph record. The questions deal with movies, sports, television, music, and headlines.

The format is the same as the original Trivial Pursuit game. Each player must answer a question from each category and obtain a corresponding pie piece to put in their game piece. The winner is the person who answers a question from each category correctly. A box of questions dealing with events from the 80s is included. The only drawback to the gamne is that there is only one box of questions. I would have liked to have seen a second box included.

I give this fun and nostalgic game my highest recommendation. My wife purchased this game for me as a Christmas gift, and we've both enjoyed re-living the great decade of the 80s. It is loads of fun for two, three, or four players. If you're a fan of 80s trivia, then you'll love this fun-filled game. (Hint: when in doubt, answer "Ronald Reagan" in the headlines category!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing Change, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
I love trivia games and trivial pursuit in particular, but this version is a great addition. I wasnt fond of the DVD versions and The prior 80's version released in the 90's sucked, but this one is AWESOME!!!!

We got it for Christmas and played 4 times between Christmas and new year and the new game pieces for this version are a brilliant addition.

LOVE IT!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars I felt too young (at 40) to be good at this game!!, January 11, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
This game is much tougher than I expected! I loved the "I Love the 80s" series on VH1 and thought this would be similar. It had less of the pop-culture stuff I remember and more questions about stuff I considered "boring" as a teen growing up during that era (I graduated high school in 1984).

5.0 out of 5 stars 80's fans, January 9, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
If you are a huge fan of the 80's, or were there, this is the game for you!

3.0 out of 5 stars Totally 80's Kind of Bunk, January 15, 2007
Caltam "80's Gal" (Bay Area, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
This game is fun the first time played but if you go through a lot of the questions (only 1 box), the next time around answers are remembered. The Historical questions are good, the TV ones great for me but a lot from the same types of shows (Dallas, Knots Landing, etc.), and all in all a good time for laughs and memories but not much more. Oh Yeah, and the music questions have some artists categorized wrong...Cindi Lauper as Hard Rock?? Come on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun group game for 80s enthusiasts, May 16, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
My husband and I both graduated from high school in 1986, so we spent the majority of our junior high, high school, and college years in the 1980s. Our lives are still peppered with references to this decade, from listening to 80s music (we played all-80s music at our 2003 wedding!) to watching endless shows about the 80s on VH1 Classic. Therefore, we were excited to receive this game as a Christmas gift and couldn't wait to start playing.

Given that the Trivial Pursuit game itself is an 80s icon, I found it somewhat ironic that Hasbro felt the need to update the look of the game, although the new game pieces are cool (remember Trapper Keepers?). Unlike other Trivial Pursuit versions, only one box of questions is included here, which was somewhat inconvenient, as you have to keep constantly passing it back and forth. The categories have been updated too: instead of a single "Entertainment" category, you get three separate ones here, Television, Movies, and Music, plus the standbys of Headlines, Sports & Leisure, and Wild Card. Most of the questions were a lot of fun--it was great to reminisce about things we had nearly forgotten! However, as other reviewers have mentioned, the difficulty level of the questions varied greatly. The Music ones in particular tended to be on the easier side, yet some of the Sports questions were completely obscure. This has made the game drag a bit at times, especially when we've played with others who are less familiar with the 80s.

Although this game could've been better, overall, we definitely have enjoyed it each time we've played. So, if you spent your formative years in the 1980s like we did, you're sure to have fun with Trivial Pursuit Totally 80s too!

1.0 out of 5 stars Questions are way too hard or way too easy., April 6, 2007
This review is from: Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s (Toy)
I am 33 and am a total 80's freak. I think 80's and I think trends in music, movies, television, clothing, fads, toys & entertainment.

I don't remember anything about politics or the news or newspaper headlines or what was going on in Bosnia at the time. I was a KID!

This game is geared towards adults in the 80's. My parents will love it. They are in their 50's.

The 3 questions I got right in the whole game had easy answers, too easy. Nothing fun.

Oh, and the tv and movie questions are always asking who the actor/actress name is, not their character, who we all remember. I don't know Angela's mom's real name, from Whose The Boss, but it took a minute for me to remember her name on the show is Mona. THAT should have been the question. Not her real name. Who knows that??? probably my dad!

Trivial Pursuit: Totally 80s