Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 3, 2001
Our 3-yr old received this game as a gift and thoroughly enjoys it. It is a terrific way for kids to understand how to play board-type games; taking turns, setbacks, etc. The basic game simply has each player remove the number of cherries spun on the spinner. However, there are some "bad" spins that force you to put cherries back on the tree. At first, kids are disappointed to move backwards - but over time, they get the idea that sometimes this happens in games. We use it as a way to start teaching basic math. "If you have 8 cherries and get to take away 2, how many will be left on the tree?" The little cherry buckets are definitely made for kids hands and fingers - they are tough to maneuver for an adult. Small price to pay for a simple to understand, terrific little game.
0Comment|182 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 19, 1999
This was my daughter's first "real" game. She was 2.8 years old when we purchased it. She was immediately able to play the game. There is no reading involved and focuses on the skills of turn taking, counting, and organizing the playing board. I recommend this as a first game for parents teaching their children how to take turns and count to 10, as well as manipulating small objects on the cherry trees. (I have fun playing this game too).
11 comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2000
I bought this for my daughter when she was just under 3, and she was able to play it without any problem. It is great for counting skills, for taking turns, and for following simple rules. Also, placing the small cherries on the tree is good for fine motor skills and eye-hand coordination. Unlike some other children's games we have tried, this game is quick to compensate for the short attention span of most youngsters, and it is very simple to play. I also remember loving the game as a child, so it has passed the test of time. I'm sure it will continue to be a popular and loved game, and I would highly recommend it to anyone with small children.
on May 23, 2005
My 3-year old daughter loves this game and I find it much more enjoyable to play with her than Candyland. She very much enjoys putting the cherries on the trees and meticulously sets her tree up with the stems down and my tree with the stems up. And, she enjoys the counting aspect as well. We are also short a number of cherries and I just saw you can order replacement parts from (...) on the customer service page. A new set of 40 cherries is $2.50, which includes shipping.
on January 8, 2004
Hi Ho Cherry-O is a game I enjoyed when I was young, and now my son loves it too! It's a great way to teach counting, and also introduce addition and subtraction. If your spinner lands on a picture of cherries, it tells you how many cherries to put in your bucket - 1-4. But watch out for the bird, dog, or bucket! They make you put cherries back on your tree! The first person to get all their cherries in the bucket wins!
I have 2 small complaints. The buckets are very tiny and even my 4 year old has a hard time picking the cherries out.
Also the game didn't come with any "extra" cherries, so you'll have to be extra careful not to lose any.
I believe this game will be a family favorite for many years to come.
VINE VOICEon December 14, 2001
Although the pictures are a little bit updated, this is basically the same game I grew up with and loved. I bought it for my niece and it took her no time at all to learn to play it. IT's easy to play and can be as educational as you make it.
I look for toys that are fairly quiet, easy to play and fun. I also look for toys that can grow with the child and if they are educational then that is a boost.
Games are a lot of fun. Children seem to love mastering them. I think they also offer good lessons in taking turns, winning with grace, and losing with grace. (all life skills we need right?)
This game can be made more educational with some parental input- three cheries minus/take away two leaves how many? two plus three cheries equals what? Let's count them together... etc.
Although my son didn't quiet grasp the concept of the numbers yet, (at age two) he enjoyed spinning the spinner and putting cheries on the tree. Thanks to my niece for her patience.
Enjoy!
on July 23, 1999
HI HO CHERRY-O IS A CLASSIC GAME BY HASBRO. IT HAS BEEN A GAME IN OUR FAMILY FOR SEVERAL YEARS AND HAS WITHSTOOD THE TEST OF TIME. HI HO CHERRY-O TEACHES CHILDREN THE CONCEPT OF COUNTING, FOLLOWING THE RULES(EVEN IF IT MEANS STARTING OVER) AND TAKING TURNS. IN SHORT IT IS A FUN FAMILY GAME. THIS IS A GREAT GAME TO START THE LITTLE ONES WITH, BUT BIG KIDS LIKE IT TOO. MY CHILDREN WILL EVENTUALLY OUT GROW HI HO CHERRY-O, BUT BECAUSE OF ITS QUALITY I WILL KEEP IT FOR MY FUTURE GRANDCHILDREN.
on February 23, 2004
I never played this game as a child so it was new to me too when my three year old received it for his birthday. It quickly became his favorite game and still ranks highly among his favorites at age 5! We found that it was perfect for our young child because it could be played relatively quickly and was easy to understand. Playing this game regularly helped perfect his counting skills and taught him about basic game etiquette.
on February 14, 2015
Item was brand new sealed package. Is supposed to have 40 "fruit" game pieces. 4 different colors. Item came with only 30 pieces. Three colors not four. The bag of pieces was sealed. This was not a repack. This was to be fun Valentines gift for our 3 year old son. Well, it was not a pretty scene when he didn't see the oranges.
Bad quality control, it's a board game with some pieces, how hard is it to check if it's all there??
review image review image
on July 5, 2001
I bought this game for my 3 year old niece & she loved it! She picked it up instantly. The cherries are small but they weren't really a problem. After a few games she knew how to play & explain it to others. She especially loved yelling "Hi ho cherry oh!" when she won! It held her attention longer than Chutes & Ladders or Candyland. I recommend this game for all kids 3 & up.