Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Nerf Reactor
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 9, 2006
We bought 8 of these for our office, for we could all shoot nerf balls at each other.

The problem being that these have a pretty loud popping noise for office use. The other issue is the slowly wear out. The o-rings and such after a month are pretty much shot. This means instead of being able to go 20 feet, you can maybe only go around 10.

Other Nerf guns are more accurate with the darts, and also shoot a lot farther. The also have the benefit of being cheaper. It's a decent gun, but I'd probably look elsewhere.
on September 30, 2003
We bought this for our 3 year old son, he was really excited when he saw his dad shoot the balls. However, when he tried to shoot...he couldn't. There is just too much resistance. Even I have difficulty sometimes. Probably better for larger children, or adults who like to behave like kids every now and then. :o)
on August 30, 2004
I play a lot of nerf wars, and I picked up this gun to be used as a grenade launcher.It worked, but I never actually hit anyone with the balls. It's great for scaring people who don't know how accurate it is (not very) but that's about it. You also need a bit of strength to shoot it.
on February 15, 2008
It's a fun toy that's not going to put out any eyes or bust up your house, but the pump-action firing mechanism seems to take a lot of upper body strength. My nieces are 4 and 6, and pretty fit for little kids. The 6-year-old can just barely muster the muscle to pop off a shot if she grits her teeth, squeeeeeeeezes 'til she's purple, and doesn't bother trying to aim at anything. The 4-year-old? Well, she's figured out that she can make it shoot if she braces the gun against the floor and pushes down. But then, more often then not, she shoots herself in the face, so it's kind of a wash.

It's a fun, safe toy, and the blue Nerf "ammo" balls are large and conspicuous enough that they're not going to get lost too easily. I'd recommended it for kids who are a little older, though. From my observations, you'd have to be one buff 6-year-old to have an easy time with this gun's pump-fire action.
on March 8, 2003
This gun was not bad at all for the price. You can't beat $10.00 and a refill pack to fill it to capacity (6). This gun has OK accuracy depending on where you are playing and what your normal prefernce is. I like this gun for a plain old "basement" style game. It DOES NOT do well outdoors unless no wind at all. The range is another factor with the outside...it's better in the inside. This gun makes a great side arm but once again, it all depends on your preference. I prefer powerful sniper guns, but thats just me. Enjoy.
on July 28, 2006
I bought an earlier version of the Reactor that was pretty much the same as this one except for it had different stickers. It was pretty sturdy, and had a fairly high rate of fire for a Nerf gun (Up to 2 rds. per sec.). It's also probably one of the loudest Nerf guns out there, which can make it good for a surprise blitz attack, but not very good for a stealth hunt. The only problems I had with this gun were 1. It doesn't have a trigger (I hate guns with no triggers, the're so unrealistic), and 2. It only has a range of about 10 feet, which makes it useful for close-range indoor combat, but TERRIBLE at long-range and sniper combat. In conclusion, you would probably be better off with a NERF Crossfire or Maverick than this bulky, short-range gun.
on December 19, 2012
This was my first experience with a ballistic Nerf blaster. The technology is very simple but works quite well. The pressure is sufficient to propel the ball pretty far and accurately enough for fun. I love the pop/boom sound as I shoot each ball. The sound terrifies my kids for a brief moment before the ball hits them and they realize it doesn't hurt them. But each new shot brings the same reaction.
My one complaint is that the balls are not the same size as standard foam golf balls which would be a convenient, economical and readily available supply of ammunition. I would love to see Nerf provide a thread-on adapter for the end of the barrel that reduces the diameter appropriately for the smaller diameter foam golf balls. As it was, I was able to fabricate a passable adapter out of a PVC fitting that I sanded down the outside diameter to fit into the end of the blaster, then secured it with duct tape. It works okay this way, but really takes a vigorous amount of effort to get some velocity and distance behind the balls. The problem is the diameter of the little black rubbery ring that holds the ball in place while the pressure builds inside. It is sized for the OEM larger diameter balls, and I was not able to figure a way to secure a smaller ring in there for the smaller balls. So I had to settle for my PVC adapter solution. I'd love a cleaner, more effective way to accomplish this. But I'm sure Nerf would never support the idea because it would mean consumers are not buying their expensive ballistic ball refills.
on February 24, 2014
To start off, this nerf gun is nice for a few things- the noise it makes is highly satisfying, for one. It can be a good way to surprise attack friends/family/loved ones, or at least the ones with a sense of humor. The distance is decent for a nerf gun of its type.

That being said, this is not a gun for the smaller kids. It can be very difficult for them to pull the trigger mechanism back fast enough to launch the ammunition, and even when adults use this, it's not particularly accurate.
on April 3, 2011
This is a good basic Nerf gun for the younger kids, probably in the 4-7 range. Older kids would probably want to move up to the dart type guns. This is great if an older sibling has a gun and the younger ones want one because it's pretty simple, the "bullets" are much easier to find, and it's relatively inexpensive.

We have two and they've held up well and the kids have enjoyed them so I would definitely recommend.
on May 20, 2014
I purchased 2 of these a couple years ago for my boys...around ages 7 and 9. Boys are rough on toys!!! But, these Reactor guns are still in near perfect condition. They are powerful and lots of fun. I would recommend this toy.

See 1 answered question