nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more

on May 2, 2001
I think even young children will enjoy this game. My daughter was under 4 when we started, but she loves the counting aspect of the game. It's great for number recognition skills because you make them say the number on the die outloud as they "roll." The only rule I don't like is that you need a "6" to start. Often that makes the beginning a bit slow if no one gets a 6. Once things get going, it's a lot of fun and easy to play. The thing in the middle is harder to push than it looks, so for very young children, they may not be strong enough to push it. 3-4 year olds should have no problem though and it makes a satisfying pop. A fun and easy game -- avoid if your child still puts small plastic pieces in his mouth though.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
"I sat hunkered over the board. Five years old, and a "Trouble" champion. My brother stared me down. At eight years old, he knew how to intimidate. My glass of chocolate milk quivered in my nervous hands..." --me... circa 1971 or 1972
The sheer delight of a simple game will be satisfying as you see your children pop on the plastic bubble to 'toss the dice.' And you'll smile as you know those dice won't be easily lost. Milton Bradley were smart to use such a creative device without losing an ounce of fun.
Easy to learn, keeps a child's attention, and just plain good 'ol fun.
My brother usually beat me. But I went at the game as intensely as Michael Jordan plays basketball.
I fully recommend "Trouble."
Anthony Trendl
on December 26, 2005
They sure don't make this like they used to. I played this game as a kid and remember it being much more sturdy , with a hard plastic bottom, and the popper not as flimsy. My son recieved this game as a christmas present, and most of the time the popper won't even pop the dice, and the game board it self is very flimsy. It doesn't even come in a hard sided box, just a thinly constructed jacket. Needless to say I'm very dissappointed in the quality.
on November 29, 2004
I'm a 27 year old mother of 3. I remember loving this game when I was a kid. I was so dissapointed when I opened this game. I couldn't believe how cheesey it is. You can barely 'POP' the dice. And when my kids POP the bubble all the game pieces fly around. Plus the bottom of the game has a pop in piece of cardboard. Shouldn't the bottom be covered with hard plastic??

I also wish there was something to hold all the pieces because my kids (like many others) abuse the box and all of the pieces fall out and get lost.

****Can't the board game makers start making harder cases or Tins so we all don't have a stack of smashed boxes and missing pieces.

The game itself is fun...but I ended up throwing it away because pieces got lost way to fast.
on November 27, 2005
I like many other adults rember this game from when I was a child. My wife and I purchased it as a Christmas gift for our kids. My kids love the game, and have they have lots of fun playing it. Educationally they learn to count and strategize as part of the game(which piece to move, what pieces are at risk).

The construction of the game seems quite flimsy compared to the game I had as a young boy. The kids have to really push down on the bubble to get the die to jump.

Another interesting note, this isn't a complaint, just an observation. With four players the game takes a little longer to play, all four of us were knocking opposing players back to home every few turns. This didn't seem to bother the kids too much, they enjoyed forcing their siblings pieces home, but it happened so often that I commented to my wife that the game might take all day...

Overall the game is fun and the kids enjoy playing it. Sometimes a player can get stuck waiting for a six (we allow 1 and 6 to speed up the game), and there are some games where everyone keeps getting their game pieces sent home, in games like that my kids begin to stop sending other players pieces home. The quality of the product itself is rather cheap, and the little ones have to push the bubble with both hands to get it to pop but I wouldn't let that stop me from purchasing this game.
on October 19, 2001
You know a game is good when kids not even 10 years old like it. You know is a game is good when grandparents want to play it every time you come over to visit them. And you know a game is good when (in my case) college kids will get together on some Friday night and play it for hours.
Did I forget to mention that this game is good?!
"Trouble" is definitely habit-forming, and this is only magnified when you get four people to play. I've been around people who get so competitive (myself included sometimes) that they will literally pound that little plastic bubble that determines how many spaces you get to move. And it doesn't matter how many times you warn them, pounding the plastic bubble is not good for the game (especially when it is your bubble they are pounding!).
College kids aside, young ones and older ones will enjoy this game, too. I can remember many a time visiting my grandparents' house and this is what we'd play. And if you've never seen a grandparent get competitive, watch out! They just might have a few tricks up their elderly sleeve.
I also think this toy could be beneficial in education, especially among kids who are just learning to count or something. The game is fun, and when learning can be fun, it's always more enjoyable.
As far as durability goes, it depends. If you have friends who get really into it and have a tendency to just pound that plastic bubble into oblivian, you may find yourself buying a replacement before too long. But as long as no one gets overly excited, this is a game that will last for years. And only after MAJOR usage will you ever have to replace it.
If you're looking for something to wet your competitive drive, or you are just looking for a good educational toy for the classroom, "Trouble" is anything but.
on April 29, 2000
When "I'm bored" rings out, this is a great toy. One of those ones everyone can play together, without sitting mesmerised at a computer or video screen. A good one to take away on holidays too - it gets packed first in our house.
on January 17, 2001
I always loved this game when I was little - and the fact that my daughter also enjoys it now makes this a special toy for us to share. My four-year old really gets into it. Sometimes the pop-o-matic thing in the center is too hard for her to push. If she has to put a lot of pressure on it, the game pieces can become dislodged. She has learned a lot about counting and strategy - I think the educational value is high. And on a sweeter note, she's learning manners and sportsmanship in a really gentle way. As much as she loves to send her mommy back "home" she always notes "that it's just part of the game".
on August 10, 1999
I have a hard time finding a game my daughters will both agree on. When I found Trouble, I found relief! It's one game they agree on and the whole family can get into the action. The die helped my youngest learn to recognize her numbers. What a wonderful family game. My hat's off to you Amazon for selling this game and thank you Hasbro for making such a wonderful family game!
on March 6, 2004
I loved this game when I was younger and ordered it for my children. But... this game is so cheaply made now! A thin cardboard bottom has the graphics (comes seperated not integrated) and rips VERY easily. The popper is of a thin bent metal tension design that doesn't pop reliably. Very frustrating! We ended up buying a vintage game on [auction site] and love it!