5.0 out of 5 stars All the animals can pop up at once
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:21 Mins
I've practiced so that I can get all five animals to pop up at once. I'm 356 months old, and my 8 month old daughter also enjoys playing with this toy.
Published on December 26, 2010 by James Andrew Fowler

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs too much strength
It seems that someone is going around and down-voting all of the negative reviews of this product, no matter how clearly written or factual. If you read through them, though, you will see the same opinions expressed again and again:

First, the Amazon price is way too high. You can find this toy in most big box retailers for around $12-15.

Second, the...
Published on August 20, 2012 by Tiffany Case

2.0 out of 5 stars Needs too much strength, August 20, 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)

Second, the buttons are very stiff and hard for young toddlers to use.

This was our experience too. Our baby liked seeing the animals pop up, and she figured out how each lever or knob or button was supposed to work; she just wasn't strong enough to make it happen. You really have to have some strong fingers to use this toy.

Since doing the right thing doesn't work, the educational value is nil. Baby can only play with it if we help her push the buttons, which defeats the whole point of exploring and playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars All the animals can pop up at once, December 26, 2010
Length:: 0:21 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Great strength and coordination building tool for 8-24 months, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
This toy has been great for helping my daughter learn how to better use her fine motor skills. I think the toy was designed to have different levels of strength and coordination needed to pop up each one of the animals. This would make sense, as it provides additional value for the children. What good would the toy be if it only developed one specific motor skill? Eventually my daughter was able to master activating each one of the animals, and it took about 5-6 months. We got it for her when she was about 8 months old. The easiest one for her to master was the circle button (panda), as it requires only a simple press. The second one she mastered was the left to right slider (giraffe), although at first she could only operate it when the it when sliding it from right to left, as she has to use the edge of the toy to get enough leverage to move the slider. Third was the rocking switch (monkey), which is similar to the slider switch, albeit slightly different and requiring a bit different type of coordination to activate. Fourth was the up and down switch (elephant). She was able to master pulling the switch down fairly quickly, but learning to push it up took a bit longer. Finally, the turn-key switch (lion) was the last to be mastered. It requires a good amount of force at the end to activate the pop-up mechanism, but I don't think that's a bad thing. I think it helps the children progress as they are developing, learning step by step.

The only "negative" I have found with this is that if you drop it, sometimes the toys pop up. It has survived a plethora of droppings, and is quite durable. All the switches still work perfectly.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple fun with no batteries...., June 24, 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
I bought this for my 9 month old. He loves to push down the animals but I am scared he is going to get his fingers caught when he pushes down. I guess with these types of toys there is no way around it. He loves it but can't figure out all the buttons yet. Maybe still too young. But he seems to get a kick out of the 2 sliding buttons he can push. Giggles when the animals pop up. Cute toy, great that I don't have to buy batteries every minute. Very sturdy.

5.0 out of 5 stars My baby went nuts for this toy!, December 5, 2001
Mary Collins "Band Mom" (University Park, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
My seven-month old loves playing with this toy whenever we visit the doctor's office. He loves to manipulate the knobs and buttons and make the animals pop up. An added bonus is that this toy isn't electronic -- no batteries! I haven't seen it in our local stores, so I'm pleased to see it for sale online.

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK toy., March 15, 2012
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
I bought this toy for my 8 month old son. He quickly figured out that push button pops out an animal and was quite happy with it. He is almost 13 months now. However even now he is only able to open only the center animal with the push button (the easiest to operate). Though we have demonstrated to him several times the other buttons and he tries - the other buttons are quite hard to operate/move for a child his age. I am hoping he will soon become strong enough to open the others on his own. Right now he just enjoys himself closing all the pop outs that I open for him. The product is slightly on the heavier side and sometimes hurts the child when they drop it on their foot while carrying it and walking. These are primarily the reasons for my 3 star review.

5.0 out of 5 stars great toy, January 18, 2007
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
My son loves this toy. He played with it around 8-9 months and still enjoys it at 14 months.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift, May 18, 2010
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
This was a gift for our 10 month old daughter. It requires no batteries, so a big plus in my book. Our daughter hasn't figured out how to open the doors/lids yet, but she LOVES closing them. And since we have an older son very close in age who believes all toys are his, it's a good one for them to play with together. He manipulates switches to open the doors and she closes. Appears to be durable so far, as well.

2.0 out of 5 stars little play value, August 22, 2008
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
there are a few things that were recommended in a well known child development book we're reading. they all have what he calls excellent "play value". that means your child is engaged and will return again and again to the toy.

this poppin' pals box is actually mentioned by name. however the author goes on to say the levers and buttons must be hair trigger and easy to operate. at the time of the books writing maybe this was true but our popin' pals box was difficult to operate.

all of the triggers require quite a bit of effort from a small child. we have a girl who is not particularly rough. she tries to move them but has limited success. it's not bolted to the floor so when you apply force the thing moves away. it's hard for a kid to hold it down with one hand and push hard with the other.

also one trigger (the one that turns) has to be just right or the pop up never goes back down.

my advice would be to have your child try one at the store and see if they are engaged and can operate it. if they can't be assured it will spend its days in the heap of other "low play value" toys.

perhaps at one time these were made with hair triggers. maybe there was a design change for cost, or quality control is low.

ahhh! i just re-read the book. they actually say the current playskool toy has this issue and recommend another brand. oops.

one more thing. playskool's rec. ages are 12-36 months. from what i read this is more like 8-14 months. the author talks about how manufacturers routinely overestimate the age ranges. big surprise, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Love It, September 27, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals (Toy)
My son loves this toy. He loves to close it and has figured all but 1 on how to open them. No batteries and very durable.

Playskool Busy Poppin' Pals