Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

Color: Purple|Change
Price:$59.00 - $655.54

on September 17, 2012
I am an owner of one of the original Furbys so I pulled it out (a couple of them actually) to give a good comparison.

A quick crash course in Furby: Furbys are interactive robotic pets with various modes of interaction to which they respond, Furbys are loud and have no off switch (You have been warned!!!) but will go to sleep if you leave them alone for a bit. To wake them simply tilt them. Furbys begin to speak in "furbish" which is their own simplistic language. As time goes on they learn English one word at a time replacing their own furbish vocabulary. These take 4 double-A batteries which are not included and have 9 methods of interaction: Shake Furby, tilt Furby, feed Furby (with your finger or a free I-pod app), pet Furby, tickle Furby, talk to Furby, pull Furbys tail, introduce two furbys to each other, and play music for Furby.

First the original gen furbys had specific differences: stripe mane or poof with tail, pitch of voice, names, eye color, etc. The new gen Furbys come in different colors but there are no real differences between them... that is until playtime starts.

How you play with Furby will change it's complete personality including the tone of it's voice and it's LED eye shape. The personalities have a huge range from a "tough guy" Furby to a "Valley girl" type, and everything in between. The personality is triggered by how you treat them, for example you can overfeed Furby and I've found that when I do so he always changes into the tough guy mode soon after, if I pet my Furby a lot it changes to a sweet and cuddly personality, and so on. Changes are very obvious, it will wiggle, close it's eyes and emit a seizure-inducing series of flashing lights while exclaiming "Me change!". When it opens it's eyes it's a whole new Furby. It shifts personality very quickly at first but seems to shift less frequently as time goes on.

So how good is it? Well it's fun! It was fun then and is arguably better now.
Some of the improvements include the new LED eyes which are very expressive and highly visible, new animatronic animations that allow it to stretch scrunch or wobble (the original could tilt back and forth only), an expanded vocabulary of furbish terms (original furbish dictionaries will still work for most basic words as those have not changed), and new interactivity such as dancing to music, and working with the I-phone app.

The materials are also very soft and Furby is surprisingly sturdy unless you're really rough with her. I think she could stand up to most heavy play just remember that electronic toys DO NO LIKE WATER. Water = dead Furby.

I would recommend for most ages as it would be very useful as a "pet" for kids, or to help develop skills in young children for translating from other languages. Also makes a good desk toy for adults as long as you're okay with the level of noise. Makes a good gift for those who grew up with one of the originals, as it has that nice level of nostalgia about it. :) It's an A+ toy and not too pricey at retail (do some research on price before you buy)
44 comments|226 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 30, 2012
I bought a purple one of these for my 7 yr. old daughter and a black one for my 9 yr. old son. They both loved them. But that is where the good part ends. After only 3 days, my daughter's stopped working. I thought "wow this thing really eats batteries." So I changed the batteries, Furby still dead. Tried some new batteries, these ones tested in other electronics to make sure they worked. Still no go. The Furby just inexplicably stopped working. So, I returned it and got her a white one. While we were waiting for her new Furby to arrive, my son's stopped working too! Same thing, change batteries, check batteries, change again, still no go. This time we tried 4 sets of fresh batteries, just to make sure it wasn't the batteries. I thought surely we can't have 2 defective Furbies?! Now my daughter has a working (for now) white Furby, and I have to return my son's black one. If either one breaks again, I'm giving up on Furby (sorry kids). Oh and in case you're wondering if my kids are really rough on toys, no they were both very gentle with them, even putting them back in their boxes "to sleep" at night. This toy is unacceptably cheap and break prone. Avoid this thing, at least until they fix this problem in a new revision or something.

***Update***
After searching the internet, I found the fix for this issue. You just have to push the "refresh" button in the battery compartment for 2 seconds. There's a picture in the instruction manual that shows where the button is (it's kind of hidden). Don't worry, this doesn't reset the personality, it stays the same. I'm changing my star rating from 1* to 3* because I still don't like that I'm going to have to remove the battery cover (2 screws that are a pain to get to) and push a button every several days.
3838 comments|383 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2012
I was skeptical of the new release of Furby after the 2005 "reboot" was such a flop, however Hasbro seems to have completely ignored the 2005 version and has basically made a high quality, massive update to the original 1998 version while still keeping the feel of Furby's quirky personality and general appearance. It's just what Furby fans were looking for.

This new edition is slightly larger than the 1998 edition and is chubbier. You can certainly tell that it's a solid robot and not a plushie, but it's not as pronounced as the original and the white and purple versions in particular are downright cuddly. Furby's ears are now made of a bendy rubber material and the feet are made with a vinyl-type fabric that is not as detailed as the original, but both are sturdier. Instead of a mane or fluffy tail Furby sports a two inch long tail that can be gently pulled for various results. The face is streamlined with LED eyes so that you can no longer see the inner mechanism. The beak will give a bit and then bounce back if you try to open it. There is minimal gear noise when Furby is awake.
Furby has sensors on his belly and the back of his head that he reacts to if you press gently and now has an expressive torso joint that moves. He can move from side to side and back and forth, of course, but now he can also use his torso joint to wiggle about. When he sleeps he curls up very cutely and when he's awake it adds a lot of personality and realism to his movements. He still cannot walk, but he is wiggly enough that you should be careful if he is near a ledge of any sort. He might accidentally (and cutely) throw himself off!

The original Furby came with three different possible voice pitches that did not change per unit and one personality. This new guy has a bunch of personalities and voices that will change on a regular basis depending on how you treat him. It happens often enough that if you particularly enjoy one personality it can be hard to keep him there, but on the other hand he retains his novelty very well with so many different possibilities. Each personality has its own unique set of dances, songs, eye animations, reactions and activities. And, as usual, Furby will start out speaking mostly Furbish during all personalities and slowly "learn" English as he goes through his life cycle. So far I have found four different types of Furby and there are still more to go!

My favorite thing about the new Furby is that Hasbro has really embraced how quirky, eccentric, and sometimes a little divisive this toy is. I like that! Some people have thought that Furbys were creepy and if you are one of those people this edition is not going to win you over. Furby is random, loud, enjoys munching fingers, and when he changes personalities it looks like he's having some sort of cute psychotic break with flashing lights. I have a lot of respect for Hasbro for this and also for not going the route of the 2005 edition or other interactive robotic toys where most of the play comes from giving commands of some sort and seeing the result. This may be quieter and more convenient, technically, but it also gets old fast and once you've tried all the command options it's easy to lose interest in the toy. Furby's advantage is that he is entertaining whether or not you are giving him commands or even interacting with him. He has a smashing good time and will sing, dance, and chatter about things to himself even if you are not doing anything. He will take a nap when he gets bored.
His voice is not as loud as the 1998 edition, however there is no volume control nor is there an off switch. This might be annoying for some, but everything combines to make a realistic little creature that keeps his novelty longer than other toys from the same genre. He feels even more like a little pet than the old version.

I am only having a few issues so far that have little to do with Furby himself. Hasbro's manual is colorful and cute, but it doesn't give you much information about what Furby can do exactly. Can he play games or tell the future? Does he understand certain phrases and not others? He seems to understand some Furbish phrases such as "Me sleepy" making him sleepy and he will also try to follow along in the conversation with "Uh-huhs" and what not if you talk to him. Can he talk to original Furbys? I guess we'll just have to find out. It is, in all honesty, a totally inadequate guide for a rather complicated robot. On top of that there is no complete Furbish dictionary included even though this Furby uses all the words just like the other editions. I have a feeling this is because they really want you to use the app for Apple phones and iPads, which brings me to my other complaint; You can only use the Furby app right now with an Apple product. It seems to be rumoured that it will be released for other platforms in the future, but giving exclusive rights to Apple and excluding people who do not own any of Apple's items seems like a contractual cash grab and also inconsiderate to kids. I definitely feel like I'm missing out, but I am not going to go buy an iPad just for Furby.

UPDATE: You can now get the Furby App on your Android phone. It's very nice to see it available!

All in all, despite the initial App exclusivity, this is an amazing toy that older kids and adults will really enjoy. As a big Furby fan, this customer was not disappointed. Go Furby!
55 comments|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon September 25, 2012
I had pre-ordered this for my 10-year old daughter. We received it last week, she absolutely loved it, she would play with it after she woke up in the morning and after she came back school, and I thought it was fun to play with too. I even downloaded the app on my iphone and her ipod, it worked very well. But over the weekend, it just stopped working for no reason at all, 1st we thought it was the battery problem, but changing the batteries still would not wake her up. I am returning it and buying another one to try, hopefully the new one will last a lot longer than a week.

Update: The second one I bought went dead again after a few days. Fortunately this time around I decided to read some reviews first before returning, one of the reviewers pointed out that there was a refresh button inside the battery compartment, all you have to do is to use a sharp object to hold down the button for two seconds, then Furby will come alive again. If you don't know where the refresh button is, take a look at the instruction sheet.
77 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 20, 2012
The Furby is just hilarious. I am even entertained and I am 30. I got one for myself just to see if it would click with the kids before we invested in 2 of them.(ok I just wanted one!). The kids 3.5 and 5.5 year old boys would not put mine down. They both wanted to keep playing with it. So I convinced the hubby we needed 3. I wasn't giving mine up. I also convinced him to let them have them now and not wait until Christmas because they loved mine so much.

Favorite thing about Furby:

1) The iphone app! It allows you to give almost an endless supply of food and non-food items to eat. Its hilarious how it responds. Sometimes it spits parts back at you. Sometimes its happy. Sometimes it vomits it back up! The kids can't get enough and I find myself fighting the urge to insist they let me pick the next item to feed it to see what happens. You can feed him individual items or make sandwiches. They are all funny. There are tons of foods. The only problem is for people without apple products. It doesn't work on android. There is no Furby app. I hope for other peoples sake they make one. It didn't affect us much except the kids fight over the one grandparents phone that is not an android. We are mainly an apple family.
2) The only educational value I can see is that the app listens to Furby and translates to english. The is written down like texts and then my son tries to read it. If he can't he taps it and its reads it out for him. So he is kinda honing his reading skills. Also they are learning hand eye coordination and how to use electronics on the app. Other than that, its just fun! But kids are supposed to have fun too. The app is going to be the thing that keeps the kids loving this toy forever.
3) The LCD screen eyes make it have an almost endless supply of emotions and responses.
4) It dances and tries to sing to music.
5) Its surprisingly cuddly
6) It has a tail now.

I am going to going to subject myself to the embarrassment of taking mine to work with me tomorrow.

The rest of the stuff I think was already covered by other reviewers. There is no off button but they go to sleep quickly in the dark. I think this is part of the charm because you can't just turn them off and forget them.

It does still interact with other Furby's as we have 3, its hilarious to see them talking to each other!!!

Hope this helps.
VINE VOICEon October 14, 2012
Color: Teal|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I never had a Furby when they first hit the market, but ever since I heard whispers of their great evil, I've wanted to meet one.

Furby comes in a shiny box with a handle on it. At my house, this box serves as Furby's bedroom. Yes, I am aware this makes me a worse guardian than even the Dursley's. But this box is necessary for my sanity, as well as for Furby's continued existence. You see, the box mutes some of the shrillness of the Furby-babble. And if you ignore him for a few minutes, Furby will fall asleep.

Furby requires 4 AA batteries before he will show his burping, farting, dancing and singing talents to you. You must remove a panel on his bottom to install these batteries. I couldn't find the right sized screwdriver in my toolbox, and used a paperclip instead. It takes a bit more time to use a paperclip than a screwdriver. Which made putting the screws back in highly entertaining. Because Furby found it hilarious. He laughed. He cackled. He chattered. He wiggled. He squirmed. All while I was trying to use a paperclip in lieu of a screwdriver. I was charmed.

And then he turned into a Valley Girl. It turns out I don't much care for Valley Girl Furby. I fed him and shook him and smacked him and used him as a ball in a game of catch. He turned into what I thought was Evil Furby. It turned out to be Tough Guy Furby, aka Oogula. I was disappointed to realize that the many accounts of an evil furby seemed to refer to the tough personality.

Oogula doesn't like to be petted, so of course I petted and cuddled and cooed and soon enough he turned into Dovey. Dovey loves when you pet her. She likes to be cuddled and always tells you she loves you. She also whines, whimpers and begs for attention. I like Dovey best when I'm holding her by her tail. She "no likes" it very much and will quickly turn into the Cow Monkey, aka C'Monk.

C'Monk moos, makes a monkey noise, laughs hysterically and farts a lot. He thinks I think he's hilarious. Crazy C'Monk. A few weeks later and I've learned a few things about Furby's Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Pulling Furby's tail triggers crazy C'Monk. Petting Furby's head leads to cuddly Dovey. Over feeding leads to tough little Oogula. Shaking leads to Oogula. Turning upside down leads to Oogula. Tickling induces no change. Singing and dancing trigger no change.

Nothing seems to trigger any of the other reported Furby's, such as the party animal or diva. And Valley Girl seems to have gone into permanent hiding. Poor Furby. I suspect two things. Perhaps all of Furby's personalities are inherently evil. They infer my desire to analyze all of his personalities and triggers and thus thwart my efforts. Or maybe Furby has been traumatized by that early game of catch.

I do not have any of the required Apple products to download the free app. And I do think it is very lame that only Apple products are supported. But perhaps other devices will follow in time.

Other than that, I find Furby to be fun, and relatively easy to ignore when he starts to aggravate me. It's neat to hear his English improve and hear added responses as the days go by. It is also fun to play a Furby video on youtube and watch Furby babble in response. It makes me want to see how long a group of furbies can keep each other entertained before they all fall asleep.

on September 20, 2012

Favorite thing about Furby:

4) It dances and tries to sing to music.
5) Its surprisingly cuddly
6) It has a tail now.

Hope this helps.
on December 2, 2012
I bought this furby for my 6 year old daughter. The furby is true to color, black body with pink feet, pink ears and pink around the eyes with a cool mow hawk. It is so cute and cuddly, you will love in love with it. The furby takes 4 double A batteries and the batteries last around four days, depends on how you interact with furby. Furby do not have an on and of switch, he will just fall to sleep when you stop playing with him. Your furby will take on your personality. For example if you pet his head, rub his belly and feed him regularly, he will behave good and loving. If you neglect him by not feeding him, hold him upside down and pulling his tail, he will behave badly. Furby do recognize if his owner is a boy or girl and change his voice to suite. So basically your furby is going to be a reflection of you. It do respond to music by rocking side to side. The furby also speak furbish and intime will speak english, one word at a time. You can also download the furby app, so you can understand what he is saying. So you can talk to him in furbish and english. By looking at the furby eyes you can tell how he is feeling. I say buy it, you will not regret it.
33 comments|16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse