Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on September 22, 2013
Was given this new(est?) version of CandyLand for Daughter's 3rd birthday; opened it up, and WHAT a disappointment!

The board is smaller, with graphics covering every inch of space. You'll go cross eyed trying to look at the image, it's like a 3D hidden image in the funny papers. The characters look like they've come out of some Anime story, and no longer do you have cards that are easy to manipulate for 3 year olds, you have a spinner! WHY would they do that!?

I'm so upset over this version; add me to the list of people who will throw this in a garage sale heap and then go looking for a pre-2000 version.
on September 11, 2013
What an abomination this game makes of the classic game. The board is reflected by the absurdly drawn tarts (if only they were just candy tarts!) on the cover of the game. Seriously? Platform heels, mini-skirts, and fishnets on a game for TODDLERS? JonBenet is rolling over in her grave. Not only is this game sexed-up completely inappropriately, the game itself is not the original: it has a spinner instead of the cards, and the board image itself is so absurdly busy, it offends the eyes, and makes it hard to follow or enjoy (not that there's anything to enjoy on the board). I went and bought a vintage 1978 version, it's the last version that doesn't include silly "characters" on the board -- it has just the tasty pictures of candy, like it should! Still remember playing it as a kid and wishing I could dive into Molasses Lake, etc.
77 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2013
Why the heck did they do this to a simple, wholesome game like Candy Land? I am not a prude and I have older kids in addition to my toddler so I don't have a unrealistic view of what kids want. I don't see how turning it into a girls-only game with provocatively attired characters does anything more than encourage little girls to admire styles that are too old for them. Let little kid be little kids and, for heaven's sake, turn down the frilly factor too so boys don't feel left out.
on November 9, 2013
I got this from Toys 'R Us, not Amazon, but still wanted to leave a review. This is pretty terrible. It isn't even remotely close to the original Candy Land. I can deal with the spinner vs. the original cards, but the actual playing board is AWFUL. Obviously this game is supposed to be for very young children, so one would think it would be common sense to make the game board of easy to distinguish graphics and colors, etc. This version has a really small board for one thing, and loads upon loads of cheesy graphics that just clutter everything up, making it hard for a toddler to be able to focus on what's going on. Wouldn't recommend for anyone, and certainly wouldn't give it as a gift. I wish I could return it!!
on November 12, 2013
It's truly awful what they've done to Candyland. My daughter is turning 3 and I really wanted to buy it for her, but this new version of the game is terrible. As others noted, the characters are oversexualized candy girls (with lollipop bustiers - really Hasbro? - and platform heels). This doesn't seem appropriate in the least for preschoolers. One has to wonder what kind of "Candy" you're going to get in this "Land"! Also, I have a baby boy and want him to be able to play the game when he gets older too. This version doesn't seem at all welcoming for boys. It's quite girly. Is Candyland for girls only now? What a shame. I returned this and found a 1978 version of the game on eBay. No fairy girls with lollipop bustiers and platform heels. A good size playing board. A boy AND a girl, neither one oversexed, shown on the board. I paid more but it's well worth it. I recommend you head to eBay and find yourself a good vintage version while you can, because I bet they are going to be in high demand!
on September 30, 2013
Until recently my kids had only played an old, frayed version of this game, found in the closet of grandparents. They loved it, and were excited when my daughter received the game for her fifth birthday. When they opened it, however, my son remarked, "It is hard to choose who I'm going to be. Everything is so...girly."
It's true. The original version of this game was for boys and girls. In this updated version, the pawns are a gingerbread girl, and several feminized dessert-characters. Even Mr. Mint, who presides over his realm on the game board, has adopted a new, swirly, glittery, ruffly outfit, and given up woodcutting. In the new game's back-story, he invites players to dance with him.
If this game will be played by just girls, it will satisfy many just fine (though I agree with those who noted the female characters have been been sexualized in this version.) For those who want a game that will be liked just as much by boys as by girls, however, skip this version, and be happy with the old, frayed game in the grandparents' closet.
on December 25, 2013
This is the worst, worst, worst version of Candy Land I can imagine. The spinner is terrible, the graphics are way too busy, the pieces fall over. Terrible. Deserves a 0.
on December 5, 2013
Ugh, I wish I had read the other reviews before allowing my children to purchase this game with their birthday money. The Anime style characters are weird and inappropriate (come on....lollipop boobs?). The game pieces also don't stand up very well and fall over with the slightest bump to the board (which is bound to happen when playing with pre-schoolers). The spinner is also not made very well at all. The spinning part pops out of the board very easily and jams up...causing even more frustration. Luckily we only spent $5 on it, but I'm considering contacting the manufacturer for a refund.
on December 25, 2013
Just played this new version today with my daughter.

The good:

- it's somewhat reminiscent of my favorite game as a young child.

-my daughter loved it

The bad:

-The quality of the game is a joke.
*The icons don't stay standing, constantly falls over.
*The spinner (what happened to the cards?!), is flimsy, needs to be help down by me so my daughter can spin it. And she poked or jabbed or scratched her fingers several times trying to spin it.
*The board is flimsy as well, won't lay flat, and is very small.

-Visually it's absurd. As others have said, it's a small and very busy board and the characters are inappropriate for this young age. Sadly a sign of the times, as so many toys now have that sexed up anime look.

What only makes this good is that is vaguely reminiscent of the original game, but the aesthetic make over and poor quality make this a major loser. I'm going to look for the vintage 1978 version.
on December 3, 2013
This new version of Candyland is so disappointing. Like other reviews, I agree that it has become over sexualized for a toddler game. Hasbro has taken all the charm of the original game and cheapened it...no longer a classic.

See 1 answered question