on November 14, 2007
Wow, Squawkers rocks the house! Toy historians may recall a Marx animated talking parrot in the sixties containing a mechanism that tape recorded your voice onto a twenty-second loop. You can see the Marx parrot in the great caper movie "Topkapi". Still the Marx parrot was a dumb bunny compared to Squawkers, who really is more of a parrot simulator than a bar trick. Squawkers is quite realistic, funny, and unpredictable. You can record your own sayings, which Squawkers will repeat, with mouth synchronization, in his parrot voice. He dances, to your music or his own. He will repeat things you say to him (rude things too, to be sure -- the instructions of course include a paragraph almost all will ignore advising you to maintain a politically correct parrot in case minors or persons easily offended encounter your bird). Squawkers also responds to a remote control with more commands, including laughing, squawking, and, yes, farting, although he does excuse himself after the last. And the animatronics here are impressive, especially for the money. His eyes and beak open and shut, his head turns, he leans from side to side and flaps his wings, and he sports a full complement of light, infrared, and touch sensors, including a tongue sensor that can detect the plastic cracker you feed him when he gets hungry. In sum, this toy is FAR too good just for kids -- the box says "AGES 5 to 105", and that's more like it. The box also says Squawkers is "the real McCaw" and claims he's "A bird to be heard". He is all that and more. Worth spending fifteen bucks on four rechargeable AA NiMH batteries, I'd say, and I think you'll agree that he's a welcome addition to any office, dorm room, or household. HIGHLY recommended, and the best toy I've seen since Hasbro's own Interactive R2D2 and the SpinMaster Reflex Indoor Helicopter...
1212 comments|109 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 20, 2007
This is a very cute toy that i bought this as soon as i found it. Beautiful colors (even though i hope they will make one in red)
dances, repeats anything you say (in the parrots voice),,squawks, whistles,laughs and "coo's when petted. responds to sayings such as hello, pretty bird, i love you,give me a kiss and what cha doin . eyes blink and it dances too. very realistic, entertaining and no mess to clean up .
on October 9, 2007
OK, its not really educational, but my kids love it! My 4 year old has figured out how to use the voice recognizer to get it into the recording mode, and he makes fart sounds and says rude things. Makes everyone laugh. I don't know how Hasbro got my kids voices to change to the parrots, but its pretty funny to hear the parrot repeating things in its own voice. Only problem is that it seems to fall off its perch a lot, and it scared my wife one night when she went to get some food in the middle of the night. I guess its motion sensor woke it up and it started talking...anyways, GREAT product.
on September 30, 2007
We got one of these for my sister, and it was a blast. She LOVED the Tiki Room at Disney World and she wanted to decorate her room in this fashion. Now she has Fritz, and we painted her walls, and got her a Tiki comforter.

The bird was a blast.. I have not laughed this hard in a long time. We had it talking like crazy and it surprised the dog. I think this is ment for about 8 and older.

Wish they offered other Bird, or colors!!

Jessica
on October 10, 2007
Got this for my Nephew but played with it myself for a couple days before I sent it to him,(it talked to me, what could I do? ;). My sister tells me that this has instantly become his favorite gift and buddy. Very good gift and quite a crowd pleaser.
on February 27, 2009
WOW! This would be a wonderful "pet" for anyone. After wanting this toy for an entire year I got it for Christmas 2008. He is completely unpredictable unlike other FurReal toys. Squawkers is packaged in demo mode, so if you ever saw him in the store, don't think that is all he does.
He responds to voice commands:
You say hello, he will say, "What do you want?" "How're you doin'?" or "What's up?" You say whatcha doin'?, he will say, "Chillin'" "Hangin' around" or "Talkin' to you." you say pretty bird, he will say "Pretty bird" "Uh - huh" or "Who are you callin' pretty?" You say peek-a-boo, he will say "Peek-a-boo" or "I see you" if there is light on the light sensor on his forehead. If it is dark, he will say "Where'd you go?" or "I can't see you." In this way you cup your hand over his head and eyes to play "peek-a-boo." You say I love you, he will say, "I love me too" or "I love you." He will say I love you in two slightly different ways. You say are you hungry, he will say, "I'm hungry" or "Feed me." You can then feed him his cracker. If you feed him too many times he will start to hiccup. You say good night, he will say "Good night" "Sleep tight" "Sweet dreams" or "Adios." After all of these he will go to sleep. He will kiss if you say give me a kiss or he will say "Oh, gross" or "Kiss-kiss" and then kiss you.
He has sensors that respond to your touch - they sometimes make him coo, sigh, flap his wings, kiss, or crunch. (I said sometimes because I'm sure there are other things that he does too because I never found out what the infrared sensor does and would really like to know.)
Head sensor, Beak sensor, Tongue sensor, Light sensor (on forehead), Back sensor, and Infrared sensor (What DOES it do?)
He can dance to your songs when you say let's play - he will say "OK" then you can say wanna dance and he will say "play me some music." Then play your song, and he will dance for two minutes!
If you say repeat after me after saying let's play he will say "repeat after me" Then he will repeat sounds and words you make or say for one and one half minutes.
He doesn't respond to your custom voice commands well - you have to be very precise and have the same inflections in your voice as you did when you recorded the command.
I was extremely gentle with this toy. However, one day the foot just fell onto the floor when I picked up "Squawkie" as I call him for short. Luckily I was able to somehow fix the cracked plastic foot and it has not at all affected him.
The perch doesn't work very well. He always clicks and falls backwards off of it.
He comes with a cracker to feed to him - it is fake! Also chews through batteries - use rechargeable!
Go to Hasbro.com to see his manual.

I've had him since Christmas and play with him every day! He is a lot of fun and a really great toy!
on January 13, 2009
My 7 year old daughter was thrilled to get Squawkers for Christmas and has taken him almost everywhere she goes! And all three of my daughters (ages 3, 7, 10)and my husband have fun recording messages. Sometimes the girls forget to turn him off when they go to school and Squawkers catches me off guard as I enter the room and he talks to me! It's almost like having a real parrot! He seems to be very durable so far, as my 3 year old drags him around the house when I'm not paying attention. A real fun toy for the whole family!
on April 7, 2014
I was not able to give zero stars so ended up giving one. It didn't arrive with company packing as displayed in this posting neither had the remote or any other accessories. This was supposed to be a gift and seeing it being wrapped with in a ziplock bag wanted to test if it is working. It came used batteries with some residue in it. It was not working. I tried putting in new batteries which was of no help. It was used and faulty item. I ended up calling Amazon and am going to return it now. This is the first time I faced such an issue with Amazon. Also it is always better to make sure the item is sold/shipped by Amazon warehouse. This item was sent by happyhourcollectables, a retailer of Hashbro.
on March 27, 2013
This is the neatest and most real toy I've ever seen. I almost forget he's a toy. He sits on my counter at work. It surprises me how many people really get into him. Almost everyone talks to him thinking he actually hears you. Great attention getter.
on September 26, 2015
Squawkers is one of those things in life that was made too good so it had to come off the market! Seriously. Hasbro made too good! This is a very smart product that I have used to teach children to follow simple repetitive instructions. The high quality well made perfect pet can be used to repeat random words or phrases or on command. Squawkers can also be trained to repeat specific words and phrases on command or in response to things you say. It will go to 'sleep' and power down after inactivity. Soft and deceptively life like in a realistic size. Comes with remote control, built in random phrases you can add to, and a perch. This product has also become a collectors item. The ONLY problem with it is that Hasbro stopped making them. They were sold for less than the cost of a Barbie doll when originally distributed. I also used it for a motion sensor which responded to the siren sound of the sensor and gave appropriate responses as programed. If you can find these - get one because after the kids play with it adults can find many real uses. It can even be a pet companion that talks! I own two Squawkers each with remotes.