Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Sixx AM Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on July 26, 2011
I suppose if you're only using this with Hasbro's apps, you're fine. However, Hasbro is ignoring/angering another whole potential market for this device: 3D photographers and photo enthusiasts. The My3D seems like the ideal device to look at parallel pairs of stereo (3D) photos, whether from cameras like the Fujifilm W3, scanned old stereo photos/slides, the countless online galleries of 3D pairs online, etc. However, for no reason that I can possibly think of, Hasbro has made one side of the viewer considerably wider than the other, so if you look at a perfectly-divided screen which doesn't have a huge wide black bar in the middle, you see part of the photo overlapping. The divider is off from the center of the screen by multiple millimeters. This seems totally unnecessary and plain-old strange. I don't see how it could be an accident - these products have to be designed, after all. What purpose could this serve? The only solutions I can see are to 1) physically saw out the divider and glue it back in properly, 2) make all your 3D images with a big black bar in the middle between the images, or 3) do what I've done so far and ignore the caddy altogether and just hold your phone up to the device, which lets you slide it into the proper registration. None of these solutions are very good, and I really wonder why Hasbro would go to the trouble to make this item and NOT divide the screen cleanly in half like EVERY OTHER 3D/STEREO PHOTO VIEWER IN HISTORY! Goofy. Anyway, for $20, if you're a stereo enthusiast, it's probably worth it, but try it just holding your phone up to the back...seems to work fairly well, and you also don't have to take the case off.

**Update - apparently Stereo Photo Maker (search it if you're unfamiliar) now makes stereo pairs that add a wide black border to account for this device's uneven dividing plane. So, looks like that's the best solution. I still don't get why they did it...seems unnecessary (and since you can't look at the many many stereo pairs available online or that you may have previously made yourself without the previously-mentioned problems, I'll leave the review as-is except for this update).
44 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 21, 2011
Keeping in mind that 3D viewing is a very subjective experience, here is my review in my own use (which is mostly viewing Fuji W3 photos):
1. So far, this is the most elegant and usable solution for digitally viewing W3 pics I have seen. Using the latest version of Stereo Photomaker to automatically format your pictures to my3D specs, you couldn't ask for a quicker turnaround time between taking a picture and viewing it stereoscopically! You format it, save it to your sync'd photos folder, sync your ipod/iphone, and you're done! (Cropping them in Stereo Photomaker couldn't be easier, and it's totally worth the extra screen size and picture detail you get in return).
2. I wear glasses, but I do NOT need to wear them in order to enjoy the my3D! The lens setting fits my vision, so even if you wear glasses you may not need to wear them. But even if you do, the my3D is designed so that glasses do not get in the way. Very well thought out!
3. The off-center septum is inexplicable. You lose a couple of good millimeters of potential picture width. Also, half of the included trailers on the free my3D Presents app are not formatted properly and are stretched vertically, like what happens on a lot of youtube videos. The trailers that are formatted properly, however, look absolutely stunning!

I should give this thing 4 out of 5 stars because of the septum, but the fact is I'm so happy with how easy and beautiful my W3 pictures look now, that I'm compelled to give it a perfect score! As a 3D picture taker and enjoyer, this is an answered prayer: an elegant digital stereoscope! Forget that it's a Hasbro toy. This is a serious little viewer for those who want to view their 3D pics.
on April 9, 2012
As a 3D photography enthusiast, I was really curious how well this would work. The viewer is surdy, with good fit and finish. The optics are pretty good for the price, and the interior is a nice mat black. They obviously spent some time on the design, to allow fingers into the space to flip though photos and an open area at the side to allow recharging. How they managed to waste so much valuable screen real estate with an off-center image divider is hard to fathom.

It's fun and it doesn't cost much.
on September 30, 2011
I just picked one of these things up. Having shot 3d images for over 20 years and recently an Ipod touch, it was a no brainer.

Here is a link to my first set of images. [...]
These images pairs were shot with a conventional DSLR. They were shot from the prospective of one's left and right eye. In other words offset by several inches. I use a Hasbro My3d viewer and an Ipod touch to view these images. The templete I use is 640x960. Each image is cropped to 453x640 and pasted into the template.

These viewers are cheap, but lots of fun.

I hope to write us a complete set of instructions soon.
on September 19, 2012
I rated it a 2, because Hasbro discontinued it this summer, after only one year, and the Apps were not that great, and left everyone hanging. NOT HAPPY about that.

Now comes the interesting part, for a All Weather viewer, that prevents sun glare on your iPhone LCD screen, plus a great holder for your iPhone,and you can take pictures in all kind of weather, and the phone is protected,which Apple, Samsung hasn't figured out to make or design yet,there is nothing like it. You got it in your My 3D viewer.

All you have to do, is just cut out everything inside, even the lenses where you just have a tube, or a 2D viewer. With the 4 backs which fit iPhone4, 4S, iPod 2 &3, it works great. I used a high speed Dremel drill to cut it out. When I bought my iPhone4, I bought it really for the camera, and when I found out I couldn't see the screen, as the Sun glare just blocked everything out, and I paid over 600 dollars for this.

WOW! now with the MY 3D converted viewer,Blocking out the sun, I get fantastic pictures,and videos,as the viewer prevents any shaking of the camera, kids can take great pictures, and even seniors.

iPhone 4 / 4S Anti-Glare, Anti-Scratch, Anti-Fingerprint - Matte Finishing Screen Protector On the iPhone you can also take pictures or videos by pushing the + button on the bottom you use for sound.
on July 14, 2014
Looking to use this to make your own VR headset? Then this is for you. Not only can you remove the lenses with a few screws (four to access the lenses & 2 each lens). But the lenses are designed to be screwed in, so they have two tabs on the outside, which make mounting on your DIY device super simple.

If you aren't buying to hack your own VR headset, then it's probably a wast of money. Only a few MY3d games, some don't work, some cost extra money--none were really impressive. I've read Hasbro isn't making any more.

Update: as someone else noted, there's 4 rubber covers over the screws, these look like they are for padding when you sit it down, but actaully hide the 4 screws.
on December 22, 2014
works for me, going to shorten the focal length a tad by hitting face with belt sander and add some weather stripping; then mate to either my nexus 7 or google fire phone..... it is interesting how this technology is evolving, the whole cardboard thing, oculus, makes me think that until some secret sauce is cooked up on monetizing, the fun for all will be restrained... but, thanks to the ingenuity of peeeps, the cat is out and facebook will not control the world, apple either......
on July 3, 2014
This item is exactly what I was looking for. Due to the Oculus Rift there have been many 3D side by side format videos popping up on youtube. This little device allows you to watch them properly and actually see the 3D. For the price this was amazing.

There is one very big problem with it though. The eyes are about right so these are made for the average adult however the nose piece is extremely small. I find this most comfortable held close to my eyes to eliminate the light from the room however the nose piece is so small that it jams into your nose. My first though is that it was made for a child however the eyes are made for an adult so that doesn't make sense.
on August 19, 2014
This product is probably really great for checking out stuff in 3D with an Apple device. It comes with 5 kinds of holsters for different iPhones and iPods.

But I bought this for Google #Cardboard. It satisfied my craving to try out the Cardboard app while waiting for one of my ordered headsets to arrive, but the legit Cardboard headsets are a much better experience for around $20-$30 a pop. The Hasbro viewer's lenses are really far from the screen, so you do get a bit more of a "tunnel vision" effect. It's sturdy and light thanks to the plastic, but there's not really a good way to go about putting a strap on it. I do like the openings on the underside of the viewer for tapping on the screen. With my Cardboard headsets, I have to pull it away from my face and reach in through the nose opening or take the phone out altogether to tap on the screen.
on June 29, 2014
There aren't many software titles for it and Hasbro has let it languish. They never even gave us the SDK to brew our own.
So why am I happy?
- It works great and was really inexpensive.
- There are free tools and instructions on the internet to transcode 3D movies & pictures to iPhone format usable by this device.
Be careful which model iPhone you have. My Iphone 4 works great. It comes with several adapters.