5.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Saved Me 2+ Years of Research
HASHIMOTO'S THYROIDITIS: LIFESTYLE INTERVENTIONS FOR FINDING AND TREATING THE ROOT CAUSE brings together the most up-to-date and helpful research and information available on Hashimoto's Disease.

Published 18 months ago by Flower Child

3.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking research! Could be better organized...
The book is full of great research and information and I highly recommend it for anyone that has Hashimoto's.
The book could be better organized and I would have added a chapter or two. I would have liked a section on how to find a doctor, as well as, questions that I should ask my doctor.

I also felt the book could be better organized; however, as it's...
Published 18 months ago by MKC73810

5.0 out of 5 stars Would Have Saved Me 2+ Years of Research, June 28, 2013
This review is from: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause (Paperback)

I was diagnosed at the beginning of 2011, at the age of 23. Since then, I've spent hours upon hours, researching everything I could find online related to this disease. I was determined to beat my disease if at all possible! I've read the Stop The Thyroid Madness site, Mary Shamon's thyroid-info website, Dr. Alexander Haskell's book, Dr. Datiz Kharrazian's book and his diet recommendations, read what Jack Kruse has to say... I've looked into the GAPS diet, the paleo diet, the autoimmune paleo diet, and researched intestinal permeability and how to heal it. I've searched high and low to find success stories of other patients who have successfully put their Hashimoto's into remission. Eventually, I found the Hashimotos 411 FB group and found a bunch of other people who had done their research as well and were on a good path of healing as a result.

My point: I spent TWO YEARS and HOURS to find all the info present in this book. Back then, I searched to find such a book, and none was available. Much of this info wasn't even "out there" a couple years ago. I kept waiting for something to be missing from this book, but no, it was all there. Every related topic was covered with conciseness, thoroughness, and detail. If you have Hashimoto's, don't feel well, want to feel better, and don't know where to start, I highly suggest you buy this book. It will save you a ton of time, and if you implement what you learn, it will quicken your healing journey. And for those of you who are already healing, it's still an amazing reference manual to have. Even if just to give validation that you really are on the right path! I'm so thrilled to have this book, it still seems too good to be true! :)

I would suggest though, if there is ever a second printing, and an updated version, that the author include more advice/info on finding a good functional/integrative/holistic Dr. to work with, which testing is available and from which labs, how to navigate testing solo or with your Dr., etc. The book is already so packed and full of thorough information on everything else though, that I know it would have taken up a lot more room to do so.

I can see how maybe someone just getting diagnosed and with no background on all of this might be a little bit intimidated and not know where to start as far as implementing the advice and knowledge , unless they have a self-driven and self-starter personality/temperament. Knowledge is power, and is the first step. After that, the rest will come through research and talking to the right people online.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Breath of Fresh Air, July 7, 2013
Recently, I've started to see an unknown author come up in various posts on Facebook related to Hashimoto's. I'd never heard of of this person, so, I dismissed the book. And then I started to see a few more raving posts. I read her website and was pleasantly suprised.

Who is Dr. Izabella Wentz? Why haven't I heard of her until today? The author is relatively unknown because there was no book deal, book tour, or book signing. There were no radio show interviews, press releases, or book launch. There's no sales pitch or marketing message. There were no endorsements or a celebrity sponsorship. The author doesn't have a practice or a hidden agenda that she is pushing. She simply put pen to paper, hired an editor and published her work. It's a breath of fresh air. In a nutshell, the author is letting her book do the talking.

And wow … Without hesitation this is one of the best resources for anyone that has Hashimoto's! It's well researched and by far, the most approachable book on the market. This book is pure and it's independent. You can feel the author's compassion, energy, and heart that went into this book. I only wish it had come out a few years ago. I've always hoped that someone would come out and be true to the Hashimoto's cause. If I were to use two words to describe the book; groundbreaking and revolutionary.

Now, I like to root for the underdog, which is why I'm writing this review. The author, who is also a Hashimoto's patient, took her experience as a pharmacist and researched her condition for the past three years. A lot of sweat and tears went into the creation of this work. She is and advocate of change and is changing the thyroid world for the better. She has a voice that should be heard. The question is ARE YOU GOING TO LISTEN?

I hope you share this. Not for book sales or money, but because there are people out there looking for answers and this book gives it to them straight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!!!, August 11, 2013
I highly recommend this book. I have been a hashi's sufferer for 15 years now. If only I had this book years ago, it would have saved me so much pain, suffering and money (lots of Dr bills). My doctors never explained all the things that go wrong with your body when you have a thyroid disease. They just hand you a prescription for synthroid, and say take this for the rest of your life and you'll be fine. I feel vindicated after reading this book and finding so many people online that have been through similar symptoms only to have Dr's tell us "your TSH is normal". I'm not crazy and this is happening way too often. It's only been 2 weeks, but I've eliminated gluten, dairy and soy from my diet and I'm taking some of the recommended vitamins from this book and I can already tell a big difference! It is truly amazing! If you suffer from thyroid disease, please read this book and educate yourself. Don't suffer needlessly like I have for so long.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK SHOULD BE IN THE HANDS OF EVERYONE WITH HASHIMOTO'S!, July 31, 2013
I am a Registered Nurse, 19 year Hashimoto's sufferer and mom to three daughters, two of which also have Hashimoto's. In an effort to find reasons as to why I have felt so poorly, while many doctors said my numbers were "fine" so I am "fine, I started researching and reading every book I could get my hands on. My passion for answers also stemmed from wanting my daughter's to have all the tools they needed to manage this disease.

I have and read every book on Thyroid Disease. The more I read I more I learned how so many factors in our body, diet, and environment affect our thyroid health and well being. The most recent book I read is Izabella Wentz's Hashimoto's Throiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause. This book is FABULOUS! She has extensively researched and organized everything you need to know to effectively manage this disease and feel the best you can! This is the information you need that you sadly won't get from most endocrinologists.

There are many great books out there on this subject, but this is the book I have been recommending to everyone I know with Hashimoto's Disease.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive and Authoritative - a must for all Hashi's sufferers, July 29, 2013
I was pleasantly surprised to discover `Thyroid Root Cause'. After perusing a sample chapter, I took the plunge and purchased the e-book. Wow! I love that this book was written by someone with a medical background (she's a pharmacist) but who has walked this path herself as a Hashimoto's patient. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's over 20 years ago. Since then, I have been under the treatment of a conventional endocrinologist who is well respected and is even considered a `top doc.' in my region. I was in my mid-20's when I was diagnosed and actually felt pretty healthy and vital; i.e., the diagnosis was a surprise. I recall asking my doctor about the `autoimmune' aspect of Hashi's and why my body would attack itself. There was very little focus placed on the autoimmunity and no link to minor health conditions I was experiencing in the last couple decades. Although I was told that having Hashi's would potentially predispose me to the future development of additional autoimmune diseases, the main `therapy' was thyroid hormone replacement. Other than annual screenings and lab tests to monitor my thyroid levels, this is literally ALL that has been addressed by my conventional practitioner over the last 20+ years.

I have since developed a chronic, debilitating health condition which I now understand may be an outgrowth of the factors leading to my Hashimoto's. This epiphany was slow in coming and has been the result of consulting with holistic practitioners over the last couple years. Reading Ms. Wentz's `Thyroid Root Cause' was a little jarring for me. It was like someone shining a light on a series of events which resonated very strongly with me but up until that point seemed utterly unconnected. I was grateful that she shared her personal medical history since we share some common elements which I now suspect may have served as triggers in the development of my condition.

This book is extremely well researched and I was impressed by its breadth and scope. Simply put, this is THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE, authoritative (i.e., footnoted) work I have seen on Hashimoto's and it's one I dearly wish I would have had access to at the beginning of my Hashi's journey. Topics I found helpful and which resonated with me were: protein malabsorption, the use of iodine (which is controversial with regard to Hashi's) and diet, including the elimination of potential food intolerances/sensitivities. Sadly, the latter is something which was never addressed by my doctor. However, Ms. Wentz skillfully outlines how gut dysfunction is inextricably related to immune system health. This book does a great job of methodically addressing the topic of autoimmune hypothyroidism, its causes and effects on seemingly disparate body systems; i.e., digestion (resulting in things like leaky gut, GERD, low stomach acid and multiple nutritional deficiencies, which I can attest to), adrenals and systemic inflammation.

The downloadable Companion Guide includes practical, easy-to-implement steps to get folks started including worksheets for lab test results and journals chronicling symptoms. These will be useful tools to organize my notes and share with my practitioners. The Companion Guide also includes supplement lists, recipes and recommended reading/websites. Additionally, the 6-page Testing Guide includes checklists covering many tests commonly overlooked by Western Medicine yet essential to identifying root cause.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal Research on the Underlying Reasons for Hashimoto's Disease, February 11, 2014
Reviewed by Carol Petersen, RPh, CNP Women's International Pharmacy
Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is considered an autoimmune disease, is the leading cause of hypothyroidism. However, the very simplistic approach taken by the current medical ideology is to use only one form of relatively inactive thyroid, T4 (thyroxine), for treatment and to rely on a problematic single test, TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), to guide treatment. This approach falls extremely short of providing adequate treatment to those who suffer the consequences of Hashimoto's disease.
Izabella Wentz has put together a remarkable book that documents her own journey, in part, and shares the information and resources that she gained along the way. She details her approach to finding the real reasons this disease develops and then identifies steps to remove the causes and/or rebuild the body's own resources.
The amount of information in this book is astonishing. Wentz uses readable language to explain complicated issues such as the development of "autoimmunity" and what it means with regard to immune system function, inflammation, allergies and infection.
One particularly interesting and eye-opening section discusses a common laboratory test called alkaline phosphatase. This test is included on standard liver function tests; elevations can indicate liver dysfunction or an infection. Alkaline phosphatase is an enzyme that removes a phosphate group from a number of different molecules. This enzyme can help control infection by essentially neutralizing bacteria.
Most practitioners only pay attention to elevated levels, and do not consider the implications of low levels. However, in her quest for her own wellness, Wentz obtained copies of her lab results and noticed low levels of alkaline phosphatase, wondering what that might signify. Not being content with being told that everything was "fine," she dug into the research and found that low levels of alkaline phosphatase were associated with bone reabsorption and malnutrition, especially deficiencies of B6, B12, folic acid, vitamin C and zinc.
Wentz also noted that people with celiac disease have diminished alkaline phosphatase activity in their intestinal mucosa, which can be an indicator of the amount of damage caused by gluten. Levels of alkaline phosphatase normalize with a gluten-free diet, along with improvement to the intestinal mucosa.
Low alkaline phosphatase is also associated with hypothyroidism and with Hashimoto's disease. Restoring thyroid hormones can increase alkaline phosphatase levels. Thus, having discovered that a low level of alkaline phosphatase was indeed significant in her case, Wentz realized that the health of her gastrointestinal tract was a significant underpinning of Hashimoto's disease, which led to more tangible information that was helpful in her recovery.
Wentz compiled lists of "dos and don'ts" to help restore this enzyme and to help improve overall health. For example, excessive use of sodas and artificial sweeteners will diminish alkaline phosphatase.
This book is well referenced and is a gem for people looking to dig in and improve their ability to recover from the devastation of Hashimoto's thyroiditis. She brings together lots of valuable resources that anyone hoping to restore or simply improve their health can access.

5.0 out of 5 stars a male with Hashis!, December 11, 2013
this book is great and is more of a resource!

My story is somewhat unique because I am male. It seems like 99% of hasimoto’s patients are female. This has been a rough year for me, because my mother passed away from lung cancer this summer after living with me for 7 months. I have been trying to lose weight for a few years and got really frustrated because for whatever I did I have been staying at 210lbs. After my mother passed I decided to get a new doctor and a physical.

At first I thought he was a pretty good guy, but after he saw my blood test with a TSH level of 6.18, he said here you go and wrote me a script for SYNTHROID. I started asking questions like “how long will I be on it, and should I change my diet”??? He replied; FOR LIFE and NO. At this point I started to feel physically worse. My brain fog was terrible, I was in a community theater production and could not remember my lines. My doctor knew I had a thyroid issue and did not even recommend an ultrasound! Uggh!!!!

A friend of mine recommended a doctor of FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE. She requested like 11 different blood tests! I was diagnosed with Hashimotos! I started to think it was the end of the world. My TPO antibodies were like 643!!!! Well I went gluten free and eating free range eggs, chicken and grass fed beef as well as wild caught fish. She also put me on a light T3 supplement. She said the synthroid would have been feudal because I have plenty of T4, but not only am I low in T3 but most likely my liver is gunked up. I read I think in your book or somewhere that 60% of T3 is converted in liver from T4. Well well!!!!!

I start out my day with a shake of KALE(I pre cook it because it is a goitregen), blueberries, mango and carrots with coconut milk and two tablespoons of coconut oil. My snacks are green apples and carrots as well as pumpkin smoothies! Compared to where I was at I am so much better. I also drink Liver and kidney cleansing tea. I have lost a little weight but the terrible bags under my eyes are going away. I don’t have the horrendous hunger pains from wheat, however everyday is better! You are so right you have to treat your body like a chemistry experiment. I am so looking forward to a day where I feel a 110% without taking piles of synthetic medications!!!!!!

Thanks and great book! (actually it’s a resource!)

5.0 out of 5 stars **AMAZING** book on hypothyroid - so fortunate to have found it!, July 8, 2014
If you are struggling with Hashimoto's/thyroiditis and are wondering about getting this book, I would say you really want - no, you *need* - this particular book. I had read a few books on thyroid, and had read a fair number of articles/blogs - but never have I been given hope back such as when I read this book. I am so grateful that Izabella is sharing her research, knowledge, experience, and personal story - it has given me not only the information I need to get my life back (because of all that hypothyroid does - one of the worst things is that is steals your vitality and reduces your ability to live the life that you planned). I am now encouraged and have the hope that I can fight back! With nutrients, lifestyle interventions, supplements - I (and you) can ameliorate your thyroid health ... I had been "halfway" there with my gluten-free, sugar-free, grain-free, sulfite-free diet, however, this book has given me a few more (critical) peices of the autoimmune and thyroid puzzle - such that I am very encouraged that I am on the way back to vibrant health! Thank-you, Izabella - mille-fois! (Also, very much appreciated your interview, along with the other experts), at Suzy Cohen's and Dr. Brownstein's 2014 Thyroid Summit.
Kelly Genzlinger, BBA, CNC, CMTA
Author of: Sugar ... Stop the Addiction (Holistic Handbooks Press, 2009)
Super Nutrition for Babies (Fairwinds, 2012)

3.0 out of 5 stars Groundbreaking research! Could be better organized..., June 4, 2013

I also felt the book could be better organized; however, as it's easy to understand unlike most other thyroid books. I tend to use it more as a reference manual and will often skip to different sections. As I read the book, I found myself highlighting different sections.

I like that the book is written by a Pharmacist who isn't only focused on medications. She has researched different lifestyle changes you can make in your life and implement as long as you are willing to change.
Using her medical background, she has researched every aspect of Hashimoto's with relentless determination and succeeds in doing so.

Her knowledge is impressive and I've already started implementing many of the changes in the book. I now feel like I am finally getting my health back. I hope that the author takes some of these recommendations so that she can make this into the ultimate Hashimoto's resource!

I hope the author doesn't take this review negatively, but more as a suggestion that improvements could be made in future versions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing Book. A Must for Hashimoto's!, August 22, 2014
I cannot thank enough for this book. I have Hashimoto's, was diagnosed in March 2011. Of course my doctor recommended me to take thyroid pill. But being a continuous improvement practitioner, that dedicates my life to find the root cause of problems, I said no to the pill and asked the doctor for a 3 month period to research my options.
I found a doctor that followed Dr. K protocol and in 3 months I was in great shape.. with a twist, my body had so many rashes until I discovered that the key supplements were given me the rashes.. Gluten free.. I kept researching for something else.. then I went Paleo and I felt great.. but took a job that put me on the road 24/7. My life went upside down, no control over my food intake or my sleep. 2 major things to repair your body. Got a new job and starting back my journey. I new I needed to go Gluten Free, so I did that right away, but something was not working. This is when I found this book. I made up a fishbone with the different things that Izabella recommends you check. I recruited a functional medicine doctor that helped me with this. The key items for me was the metal detox and the parasites. After that, I even got measureable readings for the two Hashimotos markers.
The book is well written, sometimes hard to comprehend, as you are foggy! and tired.. but don't give up.. keep reading.
It gives you step by step what you need to look for. PRICELESS!!!!!
The Thyroglobulin Antibodies started at 921 in my first test, and now they are 53!
The TPa was out of range since the beginning- so high that could not be read by the lab. This year for the first time, I can read them at 983. I attribute this to this book and the steps taken to test for parasites and the steps take to remove the parasites. I just got my last lab work. At 478. I attribute this at the fact that following her metal detox reference, I removed all metal from my mouth and follow a metal detox program.
I am 100% gluten free. You cannot pay me enough to eat gluten! and I follow the Paleo, though sometimes I do eat rice.
I just want to hug her. Izabella.. thank you so much!

$28.50 $25.65
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.