Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

on November 28, 2013
So here is the deal. My security team has a lot of people and we order these gloves for our employees so I have seen many sizes and its like this. If you order XL or bigger they will have a lot of heavy shot in the gloves. If you order size large or smaller, they have about half the steel shot and weight. I normally wear about a size large, but I buy these in XL to get the extra weight in mine an they fit me fine. But I have pretty big hands. I also sew on an extra Velcro piece too tighten up better around my wrists. So that's the deal. These gloves usually last about 4 -5 months but that is hard use, about 40 hours a week. They are good gloves, I feel much safer with them on. The back of your hands will stop beer bottles, fists, and they just give you heavier hands also giving more confidence too you. It's had too explain. Anyway, if you have large to extra large hands buy the extra large. If not, go large or medium but be warned the large, medium, small will not be very heavy. Maybe half the weight of the X-large
0Comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2013
So I know everyone says to buy these larger but I caution you against it. I wear a Med glove normally. I've tried the Med and the Large versions of this glove and here's what's up:

Like so many people have said, getting this glove in your normal glove size feels really tight. Especially when you make a fist. It feels weird because the wrist of the glove pulls up further due to the shot displacing space on the top of the glove. But the important thing is that the shot that's positioned over your knuckles is in the right spot to provide you with the desired result. Overall the glove will wear in with time and feel a bit more normal anyway.

When I tried the Large they felt more comfortable in size (like a normal glove) but when I made a fist, the shot didn't cover my fore-knuckles. It stayed back, covering the top of my hand instead. Great option if I was only going to back fist but obviously not what I was looking for. I've read this complaint in other reviews.

So ultimately remember this, these are not normal gloves and won't feel like them. They're an enhanced extension of your body. They're not meant to be super comfy or keep you warm and their intended use should tell you that.

I will say this though, you'll be happy you have them on when you need them.
on August 8, 2007
great quality leather - just the right amount of tack. the stitching and overlay pattern on the palms make for fantastic grip. the backs of the hands and sides of the fingers are spandex, which contributes to great fit and breathability.

the weighted portion of each glove is just right. powdered steel is sewn into an area which begins halfway up the back of the hand, and ends just over each knuckle. the weight advertised is accurate - 8oz, or half a pound. dropping these onto a hard surface makes a nice "SMACK" sound. the weight isn't enough to make your hands feel exceedlingly heavy, but is just enough to add some extra stopping power to your punches. i tried these on a heavy bag, and they're very comfortable.

also, a tip regarding size to potential buyers: my hand measures exactly 8" from base of the palm/wrist to the tip of my middle finger, and the XL fits perfectly. the openings on the gloves are rather large, and will accommodate even the chunkiest wrist, thanks to the velcro closures.
on August 8, 2012
I use these for summer motorcycle gloves. The knuckle steel works against rocks and june bugs too. Can punch a pretty hard surface without damaging knuckles, but you feel it in your wrist. Newton's Second Law can't be cheated.
on November 13, 2015
These gloves contain barely any steel shot at all. I saw one reviewer (who worked in security) remark that the size determined the amount of shot and therefor the larger sized gloves packed more in them. I ordered an XL and found this to be inaccurate. I have another pair of finger-less sap gloves as well. When comparing the two not even both of these gloves combined weighed as much as one of my finger-less gloves. I also work in private security and wouldn't use these things if someone paid me to do so. I returned them the next day.
on May 4, 2010
These gloves are useless. I bought a pair. First, they are filled with sand and not steel shot. Second, they are 8 ozs together. So it's 4oz EACH glove. Maybe their supplier in Indonesia ripped them off. Most ads I've seen claim it to be 8 ozs per glove. Very, very disappointed with the product. One would do better to buy Oakley Assault Gloves with the carbon knuckles and wear a heavy watch to get the extra weight behind their hands.
on December 23, 2012
These gloves have practically no weight in them at all. Dont waste your time with them. I dont know how people give any stars at all. They must not know what a sap glove is. Anyway dont waste your money. Im sending mine back today and am getting stuck with 15 percent restocking fee plus shipping. RIP OFF
on October 8, 2014
After reading numerous mixed reviews about these gloves, I decided that 3rd party sellers were selling rip-off foreign made gloves with sand inside the knuckles. I further decided that Amazon and authorized sellers (like Optics Planet) would be selling the legitimate version of these gloves, which advertises 4oz of steel shot PER KNUCKLE. With 5 knuckles in mind, that should be 20 oz of steel shot per glove (rather heavy gloves considering!). Either way, I figured that it was worth a try, and I went with the size XL to really guarantee that I would be receiving as much steel shot in each glove as possible.

I ordered DIRECTLY from Amazon, size XL (not a third party seller). The gloves arrived, attached to typical Hatch/Safariland cardboard stock with company graphics, stickers, etc. Everything looked completely legit at face value.

However, after removing the gloves from the box, I immediately noticed that they felt EXTREMELY light weight. I look out a digital scale and weighed each glove. The total weight, PER GLOVE, is just over 4oz. That includes the weight of the leather and padding. So the total steel shot, PER GLOVE, might be around 2oz, which puts us at around 0.4oz per knuckle. ZERO POINT FOUR OUNCES PER KNUCKLE - even though the description says FOUR ounces per knuckle. Perhaps they forgot a decimal, but the different is staggering.

The minor amount of padding along the top portion of the fingers is so thin that it serves no protection. There is also NO STEEL SHOT at all in the knuckles of the finger, only for the top knuckles/back of the hand.

I've purchased cheap no-name brand SAP gloves before, which were 100x more hearty than these, at half the price.

I am beyond disappointed. If anyone has a third party seller, who has the LEGITIMATE version of these, please post the name of the seller so we can find it. Apparently Amazon got shafted with a bad batch all the same.
The shot feels light and not well placed. I loosened them up with a little bag work and the glove aspect is good. People with larger hands needing a larger size might have better luck than medium or small. For a nonprofessional use they would be an excellent pair of shot gloves. Not sure what nonprofessional use would be?
on July 31, 2014
Ordered a medium,very good quality gloves, they are certainly lighter in the knuckle area than other SAP gloves I have. However, if you can throw a decent punch these gloves definitely add some extra power, while protecting your knuckles from laceration.

Add note: These are actually a little easier to carry/conceal in a jacket pocket because of the lighter weight, great to have with you when in a sketchy area of a city.