Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM

Format: Amazon Video|Change
Price:$2.99

on June 25, 2013
Let me first say that I love horror films. There have been more duds than successes in recent history, and to a fan of the genre, this fact is extremely disappointing. When I first heard about Hatchet in 2006, I became ecstatic. A film that would solely rely on practical effects opposed to CGI? This seemed like a dream come true, considering that recent films that had the potential to be logged into my all-time favorites list were ruined by computer generated effects (I.e. The Midnight Meat Train). Needless to say, Hatchet blew my mind. The humor was right on point, the acting was grade A, and the gore was both realistic and gut-wrenching. Also, the constant throwbacks to old-school horror films and guest appearances from vintage horror movie actors made a beaming smile spread across my face.
Then Hatchet II came along. The bar was set very high, because I expected a lot from Adam Green and the rest of the cast. Now, don't get me wrong; the movie wasn't terrible. The appearances from yet more quintessential horror movie actors (Danielle Harris, Gunnar Hansen, Tony Todd, etc.) made the movie a little more watchable, and their acting was quite alright considering that they were out of uniform from their "regular" slasher villan selves. The gore was MUCH heavier and more serious than the first, yet I found it to be rather tasteless at times. Finally, replacing the heroine of the first film upset me. I love Danielle Harris; she's gorgeous and is very talented, but I feel like consistency is very important to me in film trilogies. Imagine if Tobin Bell were replaced by Morgan Freeman in the Saw trilogy. Both are very talented, but the replacement just doesn't seem to fit. I felt that the movie seem to drag on a bit, and the humor was very minimal,which is what gave the first movie most of its charm. Needless to say this is all a matter of opinion. I don't want people to get entrenched in the thinking that I didn't like this movie, because I did. I just feel as if it wasn't as good as the first.
Now, for Hatchet III's review. I felt that since Green stepped down from the director's chair and let one of his crew members take over, people were automatically going to label the movie in a negative manner. I chose not to do so, because I thought that a new director could offer some refreshment and giving him.a chance would not be the worst thing. I Tweeted Adam Green one day asking him for a preview of the film because I wanted to get a feel of what the new film would be like. He replied back with a video of a cat playing peek-a-boo, so I had gotten no hint of what was in store besides for what was shown in the trailer for the movie. The next day, however, a red-band clip was released on sites like Fangoria and Bloddy-Disgusting for Hatchet III, so it seemed as if Green was answering my request. I watched it right away, and was extremely satisfied. The gore level for a two minute clip went off the charts, and I could feel my hopes becoming higher. When the full movie came out on Amazon early, I bought it immediately. Within the first twent minutes, I had discovered that Hatchet III was exactly what I was hoping for. The gore is the most gruesome of the three movies, and every kill is jaw-dropping. The acting is phenomenal, and the humor is so well-written that I felt like I was watching a special on Comedy Central for some parts of the movie. The best part, however, is the guest appearances. In this film we have Derek Mears (Friday the 13th), Caroline Williams (TCM II, Halloween II), Joel David Moore (Hatchet, Dodgeball, Spiral), Adam Green (director of Hatchet and Hatchet II), and my personal favorite, Sid Haig (The Devil's Rejects, House of 1,000 Corpses). His guest appearance nearly made me wet myself with laughter, and is quite possibly the funniest part of thr film. The only disappointment is that Joel David Moore is only in the film for about 10 seconds, and you'll see why.
All in all, this is one of the best horror films to be released in at least a decade, and it renews Victor Crowley's reputation as the "New icon of horror." Adam Green taught the director of this film well, and is undoubtedly an inspiration to aspiring horror directors across the nation. Just like many bands on the Warped Tour scene are setting out to prove that punk is not dead, Adam Green is doing the same for modern horror. My faith has been restored in the genre thanks to Green and co. Pick this movie up, because it's definitely worth the watch. Trust me; for all true horror fans, you'll find yourself having trouble putting it down.
VINE VOICEon June 19, 2013
"Old school American horror." That was the tagline to Adam Green's "Hatchet" back in 2006, but the film was mostly comedy with all of the horror and gore being in the final 20 minutes or so. But Victor Crowley became an icon for some reason. Why he did and Leslie Vernon didn't is another story entirely. Nevertheless, "Hatchet II" was released four years later in AMC theaters with an NC-17 rating, but it was pulled literally two days after opening. Obviously the gore was too intense for viewers or it was so intensely scary that it was thrown back to the studio. It turns out that the film was just really bad and its decomposing funk was probably stinking up AMC movie theaters across the nation. The acting was beyond terrible and while the gore was ridiculous yet superb, it

In the opening moments of "Hatchet III," Marybeth shoves her fist through Victor Crowley's face before Crowley falls back onto a running chainsaw that splits him in half and showers Marybeth with blood. Somehow this is only scratching the surface of how gory this sequel really is. Grown men are ripped in half, their heads are knocked clean off their bodies, skulls are stomped, and limbs are torn from their torsos. All of that and it doesn't even cover a pair of testicles hanging from a tree that's referenced at least half a dozen times.

There are a lot of little gems and throwbacks to the previous two films in "Hatchet III." It would be a shame to spoil the most spectacular kills and biggest surprises, so covering the more obvious ones seems safe enough to mention here. There have always been horror movie legends buried in the casts of the "Hatchet" films. Kane Hodder and Danielle Harris aren't exactly strangers themselves. "Hatchet III" brings in Jason Trost ("The FP," "All Superheroes Must Die,"), Derek Mears ("Friday the 13th," "Predators") and Sid Haig ("House of 1000 Corpses," "The Devil's Rejects"). Writer Adam Green (cameraman BJ McDonnell from the first two "Hatchet" films takes the director's seat this time) even has a humorous little cameo.

The sequel is an all-around improvement over the last film. The story is as simple as it has been the first two times out, but at least the acting is better in "Hatchet III." Danielle Harris was never really quite as awful in anything before "Hatchet II." She's more reserved in "Hatchet III," spends most of her time brooding, and doesn't talk quite as much, which maybe makes her more tolerable. However her white trash accent really makes you grind your teeth at times. Sheriff Fowler (Zach Galligan) is really over the top while the extremely machismo demeanor Hawes (Derek Mears) has gets under your skin as soon as he steps off the boat.

It's great that the film doesn't take itself too seriously though. There's at least one really good jab to the previous sequel in "Hatchet III." What makes it as entertaining as it is its obvious homage to the slasher films the "Hatchet" franchise pays tribute to. The SWAT team blasting everything in sight seems like an obvious reference to "Jason Goes to Hell" while there's some makeup effects at the end of the film that are similar to some of the effects in "Jason Takes Manhattan." Caroline Williams has the best scenes the sequel has to offer. Amanda's interrogation of Marybeth while she's in jail is the most engrossing scene in the film thanks to Williams' performance.

"Hatchet III" isn't going to win you over if you didn't like the first two "Hatchet" films, but it does seem to put the franchise back on track. The practical makeup effects and splatter house type gore is even more awesome and ridiculous than in the previous film. "Hatchet III" feels more like the "old school American horror" the original film promised that violently shoves comedy in the back seat while gruesome terror gets behind the wheel.
on June 30, 2013
I can't really give a fair review of this because I love the Hatchet series so much. This is a perfect end to the series but I wouldn't mind seeing a fourth one.

I am a huge fan of Danielle Harris so watching her in any role is always a thrill for me. I also loved seeing Caroline Williams, I loved her in "Texas Chainsaw 2" and it was great to see her back in another campy horror film.

If you loved Hatchet and Hatchet 2 then you are gonna love this.

These movies aren't for everyone. My only regret is that I watched this online instead of in a theater. These seems like the type of movie that would be fun to watch in a theater with a bunch of other people.

Also Rileah Vanderbilt must be the most beautiful woman who has ever lived. She needs to be in more movies.
on June 22, 2013
This story picks up with Marybeth (Danielle Harris) "killing" Victor Crowley (Kane Hodder) again. It was nice of the producers to use the same person to play Marybeth this time. She is in jail while local police check Honey Island Swamp only to find a bloody mess. Like Jason, Victor never dies so you can figure out the rest.

Sid Haig has a bit part in this film having comedic "Paula Deen moments." I did not enjoy this as much as the one with Tony Todd. This film had its comic and dark comedy moments, but was pretty much an over the top slasher with blood spraying unrealistically all over the screen as if it was coming out of a pressure washer. The characters were decent in this one, but the film lacked a certain eye candy. Plenty of blood and gore, easy on plot.

Parental Guide: F-bomb. No sex or nudity. Danielle Harris being hosed in shower with discreet arm and leg placement.
on June 19, 2013
I love these movies. Great throwbacks to horror movies of yesteryear, featuring a new horror icon for the ages. Kane Hodder is back as Victor Crowley, and for once, the monster in the movie gets one of the top billing credit. Danielle Harris is back as well and Marybeth Dunston, still looking good with plenty of that badass look in her eyes. They are joined once again by a bevy of old school and recognizable horror actors from the movies that only horror fans will catch, including: Gremlins and Gremlins 2 child star, Zach Galligan; Caroline Williams, the female DJ who had a chainsaw fight with Leatherface in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2; and Derek Mears, who is essentially a new school Hodder, having played Jason in the Friday the 13th reboot, among other monster roles. All-in-all, it makes for a very enjoyable viewing.

The blood still sprays as it did in the first 2 movies, but the comedy has been toned back. Not to say there isn't anything to laugh at, but it is not near as noticeable this time around as before. I would credit some of that to new director, BJ McDonnell, who was the cameraman on the first 2 movies, as well as a few bigger Hollywood films. Adam Green is still the writer and producer (and pops up in the film), but the look and feel of the movie is different enough to notice a change. It's not bad, just a different form of filming something that fans have become accustomed to. As I said, the blood is still spraying in bucketloads. Nothing is as memorable as kills in Hatchet or Hatchet II, but watching Crowley get cut in half from the giant chainsaw in Hatchet II, and him rip arms and heads off of hapless victims, is still as enjoyable as ever.

One of the big differences in this movie is the action, which has been interjected wholeheartedly, thanks to the inclusion of a SWAT team entering the swamp to combat Crowley. Not just bladed weapons and limbs being ripped off, but now there are guns to be spread around as well. I support this completely, because what's more entertaining than seeing a rocket launcher being shot at horror slasher in the woods? The acting is what you would expect from the cast, I only wish that Harris had a bit more to do this time around. Hodder had more to do this time in terms of showing emotion through the makeup and gory death scenes, but Harris more controlled this time out. The supporting cast was nothing spectacular, but also nothing terrible, and with credits like Gremlins and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, what do you expect? Keep your eyes peeled for a couple of surprises though, as these movies always contains some cool Easter eggs and/or cameos peppered throughout.

Hats off to Adam Green (and McDonnell) for completing a trilogy that shows a ton of love for the slasher subgenre of horror, and horror films in general. Others like Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon, The Cabin in the Woods, and the Scream franchise also do this, but the Hatchet movies are something else, specifically focusing on paying respects to the entertainment of characters like Jason, Michael Myers, and Leatherface. If you are an old-school horror fan, do yourself a favor and catch this latest entry in the Hatchet story, there's plenty here to keep you entertained. I only hope that we'll see a Hatchet IV at some point... And to be fair to the slasher movies it pays respects to, why wouldn't we? Nothing in these movies ever suggest that the main characters ever truly die.
on May 26, 2015
“Hatchet III" was set up as ‘man’s belief that he can maintain or regain control over anything he faces- including the supernatural or impossible-only to realize it just may be a delusional assumption’. After all Victor Crowley systematically eviscerates strike forces and government officials with rabid savagery. At moments it seems to only cover the fact that the writing may not hold up within the story or the fact that it may have been written with more insecurity to the script than desired. Kind of like “sky flowers” for the audience to distract from a flimsy story line. Can’t really say but as I was hearing the set up to finally putting Crowley to rest I felt a little “brake squeaking” moment in the back of my mind-especially considering only moments earlier it was made very clear that there was no killing the monster that was Victor Crowley. However considering the last breath of the film, that original clarity, of Crowley’s inability to die, may very well hold up. I sure hope so because, all negative aspects aside, I really do enjoy the “Hatchet” films and they seem to embody the original spirit of the slasher genre set forth in the 80’s. And the kills scenes and gory effects are awesome.

In all aspects, within the “Hatchet” mythos, “Hatchet III” stands as close to solid as a sequel to the original and even the lesser affective “Part II”. There isn’t much in the lines of character build here but somehow I didn’t mind because the cast was stellar and visceral onslaught was a true gruesome spectacle to see. Even with the kind of flat finally between Marybeth and Crowley which really does beg the question “why did crazy blogger lady just join in and dust this s*** in part two?” I mean she seemed to be crotch rocket strapped to the whole Honey Island legend and Victor Crowley thing so why wasn’t she up in it earlier in the story. Maybe I missed something. Which is a good reason for me to watch this along with “I “ and “II” over and over again.
on September 17, 2013
Something was missing with this one. It just seemed less fun. There was alot of off island action where 3 of the main characters were searching for the mcguffin, in this case Crowley's Father's ashes, and while it was a nice change of scenery, the movie also got away from the action and slowed immensely. I also found the character of Amanda to be annoying, she seemed like the Scrappy Doo of the movie. That being said, the kills were inventive and fun as usually. And there were some funny moments. Basically newcomers to the series, should stay away and just watch the first two films instead. But, if your a fan, give it watch, it ain't all bad. And I'll happily watch # 4, if they make one
on July 30, 2013
I liked this movie. To me the first movie and this one are by far the best. Hatchet2 was just an epic failure. This hatchet picked up from where the first one left off. It had lots of gore and some laughs. Im usually not on for laughs in my horror, but this was done in a very good way it wasn't really stupid. Oh and this one has plenty of gore and blood so you won't be disappointed. I also enjoyed seeing some of the characters from Hatchet 1 in Hatchet 3. Very good movie and worth the watch. Don't miss out!!
on October 24, 2013
movie was just good bloody fun.. if your expecting it to be a masterpiece..no its not.. but for part 3 its good.. was also good to see carloione willams in it,, alwys loved her since TEXAS chainsaw masacre part 2..
SAD part is that this movie kept stopping and rebooting or id loose my HD at times.. streaming movies isnt that great as the real thing... im going out to just buy the blu ray its self.. to complete my hatchet collection..
for last note... always liked danniel harris since i was a 14 and saw her in halloween 4 and 5 at the movies when it came out... etc
she is great reprising her role in this movie.. and i like attuide they gave her in this role... thanks for laughs and fun....
on September 28, 2013
Way far better than the second Hatchet, as this third installment gives reference to the very first episode “Hatchet”. I truly enjoyed seeing the Asian, actor; as he really made the very first Hatchet a great move, although he had not survived, but too; see him play one of the many paramedics, as he once again; he does not make it alive. I know and believe he is a gifted actor. I believe his ability to act frightened; heightens the movie, as he tries to hide, and do whatever it takes to attempt to survive, by informing, and get every other individual to think on his level of “fear.”I really feel his acting creates the entire set up in this segment of “HATCHET.” His performance of one who fears enough to live yet create jokes due to the enormous amount of fear that the beast has instilled within him makes his character genuine to me, as we are all human and yet we all handle certain factors differently, to me he is the main character, yet; we all know it is the surviving daughter of the actor who plays “Freddy Krueger. Well Ladies and Gentlemen! If you enjoyed Freddy Kruger, Michael Myers, and Jason Voorhees; get ready for the Fear man himself “Victor Crowley.” He is one mean individual, with a passion for ripping, tearing, and gutting man or woman with ease and no remorse. Friday the 13th series, Halloween series, and Nightmare on Elm Street series are nothing compared to the torture, torment, and personal sacrifice one endures upon meeting up with “Victor Crowley.” One who enjoys horror, drama, comedy, but most of all slaughter with lots of Blood & Guts then this is a must see. As mentioned this third episode of all three Hatchet films truly gives meaning to "Blood & Guts." though with laughter, and suspense as it leaves one fearing for the person who is about to meet an awful death. Just glad, that there are no Hatchet monster in Louisiana for real’s. This would truly make Louisiana a real bad place to visit, especially if the CURSE of Victor Crowley were real.