5.0 out of 5 stars If you're reading this, it's not for you
Published on October 22, 2008 by Kevin R. Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars Jimmy hates...everybody?
I wish this was as funny as his first book, but Norton's venom wears thin after awhile. Crushing people in print over and over again, despite whether you think they deserve it or not just gets tiresome. Taking Shots at Hillary Clinton, Al Sharpton, K-Fed? I mean it's like shooting fish in a barrel; too easy for a comic of Norton's talent. There are rants that are worth a...
Published on April 3, 2010 by J. Carroll

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're reading this, it's not for you, October 22, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
Like his previous book "Happy Endings", you need to be comfortable in your own skin before reading this book. It's brutal, honest in it's prespective and hard to handle for the un-initiated. It's also as funny as it gets. So loosen your chastity belt and enyoy a good chuckle. Sure, its not quite out yet, but while standing in a shopping bag in a bookstore restroom, I managed to convince a hairless young chap to give a copy in advance. Norton rules, go eat a bullet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Book by Jim Norton, October 27, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
I got the book earlier today and I did not put it down until I was finished. First off, the opening about George Carlin was amazing. Jimmy is not only honest about people he hates in this book, but he completely opens himself up about people he admires. You can really see his passion about George Carlin, Ozzy Osbourne and Black Sabbath. Now, going into those he hates. All I can say is "wow". When Jimmy says he doesn't hold back, he doesn't. He is absolutely brutal to everyone from Hillary Clinton to Dr. Phil. Read this book for the comedy and you will also find yourself agreeing with him on a lot of points he makes. Also, I can honestly say this book gave me more laughs then "Happy Endings" did and that is saying a lot seeing that Happy Endings is hilarious.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a great find, October 31, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
I was in bed with my wife when I first noticed this book. Actually, that's not quite correct. I was tied to a chair while my wife was in bed when I first noticed this book. I saw it on the floor of my bedroom, apparently having fallen out of an African-American gentleman's knapsack. I nudged it open with my toe and managed to read the 2 and a half paragraphs of hilarity until it was time for me to prep the bull. Even though I was busy for the next ten minutes, and then my attention was occupied observing what can only be described as an oil derrick slamming into a pristine white, sandy beach...

Anyway, I think the point was that I managed to not forget the title of this gem even while I was busy with clean-up duty. I remembered to hop on the internet the next day and pre-order I Hate Your Guts by Jim Norton and eagerly await its arrival so I don't have to read Earl's copy 3 paragraphs at a time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting!, November 23, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
Another literary landmark by this author. His personal take on several cerebral subjects will have you re-thinking the way you live your life.

Filled with passion, insight and banality, James Norton is on his way to becoming a legendary author ala Twain, Dumas, Stevenson and dare I say Vos.

It astounds me how this author has the time to write such stimulating books while contributing to the popular syndicated radio po-gram "Norton and Friends". Amazing!

I did not just like this book...

I LOVED IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars I am taken a back by the courage of this man., November 4, 2008
Steve Carlisi (Nahhhht Fahnnny) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
As you all know, Mr. James "Literal Jim" Norton is the brave solider who in the face of an impending AIDS related death, has been able to write one of the most moving and influential novels since "To Kill A Mockingbird". You may know James Norton from the hit Cleveland radio program "Maxwell in the Morning" starring Benjamin "Do The Bit" Bornstein, a show heard by more than 50 people in the Ohio area.
Mr. Norton will have your sides splitting and your breathe-right strip detaching over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars RAMONE! Buy this book immediately!, November 16, 2009
Struwwelpeter (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Paperback)
Being a successful comedian in a stand-up capacity has, at times, failed to translate in book format. Many respected comedic personalities have been responsible for highly-anticipated books that come off as something of a let-down. This cannot be said for Jim Norton, who has used the opportunity as a savage and relentless exercise in catharsis. Rather than recycling stage material (as so many other stand-ups do when approaching books as simply a chance to cash-in), Norton has written each essay with a common theme of derision and personal disgust toward various figures who thrust themselves into the public eye. In this regard it is a stronger, more cohesive book than his first, 'Happy Endings' which, while also hilarious, lacked the same structure and consistency he has hit upon here. The combination of articulacy and crudity is reminiscent more of his unscripted, on-air diatribes as part of O&A than his stand-up itself, and the candor of his ranting feels genuine and non-contrived. As with 'Happy Endings', a good deal of self-loathing crops up through anecdotes of childhood embarrassments, along with his unhealthy celebrity obsession - one chapter detailing his stalker-esque behavior in a bid to meet and be photographed with Black Sabbath is, in all its hapless honesty, actually quite heartwarming.
Refreshingly, there is a lot of legitimacy to his frustrations - issues such as censorship, the hypocrisy of political pundits and the inexplicable notoriety of Dr. Phil, Kevin Federline and Heather Mills (to name a few) are all intelligently addressed beneath a veil of foul language and distasteful analogies. It isn't highbrow reading, but it's very satisfying and - most importantly - extremely funny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Birthday Jimmy., October 22, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
The friendly neighbor gentleman over at Ted's Shot-Put Palace recommended this.

Then he told me to be a good boy and pretend my tongue was a urinal cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uncle Paul, October 22, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
I like the book, but it should of had more pictures. Maybe some illustrations. When I go to public library, I enjoy the big books with the colors and drawings of talking animals. Its nice and cozy there in between the book shelves. Huhh huhh.

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS FELLOW IS A FRAUD I'M THE REAL AUTHOR, October 22, 2008
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
I was once a star; now I have been sublimated by what's his face Norton and replaced by that rather unsavory but enterprising Ted with his many emporiums and such. I knew eventually they would screw the pooch and so they have with this book. Anyone of any consequence, who reads this tome will see that only I could possibly have penned such a Title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yimmy does it again., November 6, 2008
M. Austin (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I Hate Your Guts (Hardcover)
This book is hilarious, full of the venom Jim Norton is known for. Broken up into themed chapters, Jimmy chooses his targets and annihilates them for their disingenuity, or their inconsideration for people around them. Brutally honest, very funny, and finally sets the record straight about how he got to see his beloved Black Sabbath enter the Rock Hall of Fame. (For a clue, Ron & Fez 12-3 XM202, Sirius 197)

Interestingly, the best part of the book is not comedic. The Prologue is dedicated to George Carlin, and his influence on Jimmy, and on comedy as a whole. Jim distills the mourning that many of us felt when Carlin passed away into an incredibly moving essay.

For those scared of honest emotion, there's plenty of dick jokes too.

I Hate Your Guts
I Hate Your Guts by Jim Norton (Hardcover - November 4, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01