Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: MP3 CD|Change

on December 11, 2011
Many survival/post-apocalypse works focus on a person or group who is "fully-prepped" and ready to rock against (insert world-killer here). Not the main character of "Hater." Danny is a regular schmuck who pushes files all day that go off somewhere to be filed - again. The only military training he possesses is the ability to fling paperclips dead-center into your eyeball. He probably listened to The Cure in high school. Hell, he probably still does. Unlike novels such as "Patriots" where the characters have been preparing for (insert world-killer here) since Reagan was president, Danny can barely make it to payday. He's like so many of us and I enjoy that aspect about him. David Moody really illustrates this well and it brings humanity to a hero that so many of these kinds of novels render as a cartoon (think Duke Nuke'em). Read this and you will most likely identify with the guy on some level. Not to spoil, but later on, fate tips the tables in Danny's favor which color him blood red. At that point, the novel becomes a frightening commentary on the service-sector, post-industrial lemminghood that has been forced upon so many of us. Wonderful read!
on January 6, 2012
WOW. The first thing I will say is, you don't need to read a review of this book. You just need to read it for yourself. This story is fantastic. David Moody has created a story that could possibly be one of the best modern "situation horror" stories ever written. I was hooked from the first chapter. This book starts at a fast pace and just continues to gain momentum right until the end.
This isn't your run of the mill "horror" story. There isn't a monster, no vampires or werewolves. The fear comes from our own humanity, or what will happen if we lose our humanity. The author has created a world were a proportion of the population becomes affected by a "new" kind of disorder. Once affected they lose all humanity towards those not affected. They fear those who haven't changed and they HATE those who haven't changed. They find only one way of fixing this situation. Kill the unchanged.
The horror in this book comes at the reader from three different angles. Firstly, we have the violence that is carried out throughout the whole story. It is relentless, in your face and most of all, it is believable. Every attack resembles something we could possibly read or see in the news on a daily basis. Secondly, we have the simple horror of normal people being trapped and confused in this situation. The author really creates a spine chilling experience by making us feel empathy with those not affected and from this we get a feeling of the fear that they must be feeling. Thirdly, the horror, at its best, comes from the very realistic way that David Moody has shown us how humanity, love and empathy can easily be destroyed once fear is added into the world. How friends can turn on friends once they are shown the difference. How we fear those who are different from ourselves and the lengths we are willing to go to get rid them.
The story is easy to read, captivating, brilliant, scary and worryingly mirrors the world we live in. Expect a few shivers down your back and after reading, try not to judge those you walk past in the street. After all, it is only a story........ but it will make you think!!!
on January 17, 2016
The first time I read this book, some few years ago, I was absolutely blown away by the concept. Here we have no zombies, and no lame preppers, just a percentage of humans who suddenly hate others. Friends,.family, strangers, they just want to kill you before you kill them. Unless you're another hater. Danny McCoyne leads a miserable existence, mostly of his own making. He and his dislike of everything made this a slow start to the book, because he's impossible to like.Slowly but surely the story started picking up. People attacking others for no cause that could be discerned. People staying indoors to avoid trouble, not sure if they or their loved ones could turn at any time. Then one day Danny takes a nap, and wakes up a hater. That's when the poop hits the fan! From here on out, and into the next 2 book's, it's a fast and fantastic, hell bent for leather thriller. This story scared the crap out of me! Yep, I'd recommend this book and author.
on January 5, 2013
Hater has been on my TBR list for a long time, and as a fan of David Moody's Autumn series, I was looking forward to getting into this one and reading something a little different, and despite my assumptions, is not a zombie novel.

Essentially Hater is the story of one average guy, Danny, who has a job he hates and lives in a flat on a dodgy council estate with his partner and three children. As a series of seemingly random attacks take place in the city where he lives and works, he takes the step of barricading his family in their flat for their safety, only venturing out reluctantly in search of supplies.

The tension builds slowly, and the first half of the book is full of flash scenes of the virus attacking at random, which I love in any apocalyptic book and in Hater it's pretty confronting - school girls, policemen, the elderly - no one is immune to the random impact of the virus. The Haters themselves are initially uncontrollable, but after the initial outburst become more subdued and cannot be easily distinguished from other non-infected people.

I really liked that Hater is about an average guy - he's certainly no hero, and as the story progresses, his family become increasingly paranoid even of each other - snapped words and sharp looks caused by living in such a stressful environment begin to push them closer to turning on each other.

Hater is an addictive read and certainly has the one-more-chapter feel, right up until the twist and climax which went in a direction that I certainly wasn't expecting. It's fabulously unpredictable and I'd love to tell you more about it, but it's difficult without giving important parts of the story away.

My only reason for not giving it a full five star rating is that the characters can be a little unlikable and there are a few periods of what I can only call repetitive whinging. But otherwise Hater is an intense and extremely tense read, and David Moody holds absolutely nothing back.
on June 1, 2012
In the post-apocalyptic world of HATER, there are two groups of people: 'Us' and 'Them.' This striking contrast between the 'Haters' and the ones who are being 'Hated,' while initially something that seems very simple, creates for very dynamic tension early on in the book.

HATER begins as most apocalypses do--before it begins. Our main character, Daniel, is a government worker who hates his job, hates his position in life and is constantly having to deal with his oftentimes-overbearing children. He and his wife's relationship is suffering, his relationship with his father-in-law in less-than-stellar, and his overall quality of life is suffering due to his living situation. A house too small, a job too mundane, and a family almost in constant turmoil serves to make life one thing--misery.

However--when a calamity strikes the world, thrusts the populace head-over-heels and creates a violent strain of violent outbreaks that may or may not be disease-related, Daniel, and his family's, world changes--for the worse.

HATER is everything that anyone could ever want in an apocalypse novel. Fast-paced, intense, visceral--there's no lack of violence and tension in this book. It moves at a breakneck pace that makes it almost impossible to put down. I found myself glued to my seat (while at the airport) and transfixed (while reading before bed) at the brutal world that David Moody created in HATER. The speed of which the novel moves is, in my opinion, probably the best thing about it. Unlike a lot of apocalypse novels, which slow to a low lull in order to introduce certain aspects of the apocalyptic scenario, HATER never stops. The world, and the condition it is in, is quickly revealed in a rapid-fire succession, making the book constantly exciting and engrossing. My only qualm about the book is more of a personal one than one that stabs at Mr. Moody's writing. There comes a point in the novel where we are introduced to a Hater's psychology, and though the transformation from one who's Hated into a Hater seems to be a quick and sudden process, the act in which it happens is never really explained. As someone who loves reading about that sort of transformation, I would have loved to see that expanded upon. That still may happen in book 2 and 3 though, so I'm not going to discount it as a possibility.

In a nutshell, HATER is brilliant. Fast-paced, utterly-engrossing, absolutely-terrifying--this book is impossible to put down. A definite to-read for any apocalyptic fiction fan.
VINE VOICEon April 18, 2012
Every watch a movie wherein the Director wants to show how boring everything is by making the movie itself boring? That's what made "Haters" so tough to get through at first. No, not boring in this case. More like frustrating. Who wants to follow Danny McCoyne? He is a second class loser. He whines, makes excuses, screws up. He's a mope and a dimwit. He does a poor job raising his stupid kids, fights with his stupid wife, and almost always does and says the wrong thing while usually blaming everybody else. but his litany of woe is interrupted sometimes by crazy shocking violence. Hey, that woke me up. Also, being inside the heads of the Haters is great.

So despite being so near to chucking this book many times I persisted. Even though I don't like being inside the head of a protagonist I have no sympathy for, two things kept me on board: first, David Moody is a good writer and has a good story; I had to find out what was going to happen. The tension rachets. Secondly, I began to skim whole paragraphs. Okay, Moody, I get it: Danny's passive and pathetic; a chapter or two would established that (don't ask me what he would have filled the rest of the book with till things took off--- I'm not the creative type. Them that can't write criticize).

And boy, do things take off! Two thirds of the way through the book (four fifths?) the "twist" happens. No spoilers, but I love Moody's "Zombies". Of course, they aren't Zombies. Moody has come up with a new type of "turned" humans. I won't describe what goes on in their heads, but it's great! I always think I could get away from Zombies and we normal people would triumph. Here you are left with a feeling of delicious despair, akin to Stirling's "Drakon" series, where, evil is in logical ascendance. I think we're toast!

"Haters" has stuck in my head for days afterwards, and I will with eager trepidation read the sequel.
on January 6, 2014
I take into consideration any relations when reading a book. I thought this particular book had a good ratio aspect of WW2. Taking into consideration the haters being similar to Jews, the officers barging in on homes, and the "camps" they were taking them to in the end. There were just so many different correlations and I found the relations astounding. I'm more than eager to see what the other books in the series have to offer.
on October 31, 2014
This book was very different, no wait...extremely different from what I normally read. Since my husband is a huge David Moody fan, he recommended that I read one of his books. He insisted that I would like it if I gave it a try. Well, this is one time where I'll admit that he was right!

Hater is definitely not your typical post-apocalyptic book. I didn't find one brain hungry zombie hobbling along anywhere in this book. What I did find was a well written story that dealt with "real" people, human nature, and the need to survive the unknown. Danny McCoyne is an average guy. He's married, has three kids, and a father in law that rubs him the wrong way. He is in a dead end job that barely pays the bills, he is tired and frustrated. He could be any one of us. This is what makes Hater so unbelievably believable. We all love our families, but we all have to admit that they do have the ability to get on our nerves from time to time. When Danny was dealing with his life and his family, I had to chuckle because it was not sugar coated - it was realistic.

When violence starts erupting all over the country, people start to panic. Nobody knows what the cause is. Is it a virus, some kind of pollutant that they were exposed to? The media just keeps telling everyone to stay calm, that it is under control. There is no rhyme or reason to why people are attacking and killing other people. Life becomes chaotic. Normal life ceases to exist, and you're only safe if you stay inside of your own home...or are you? People become paranoid because they don't know who is immune from this condition. Could they or one of their family members turn into a Hater? Could they possibly attack or kill one of their own?

The unknown is always the scariest. The "monsters" look just like your neighbor, your co-worker, or you. Hater will keep you glued to the pages... and will make you wonder what you would do in that situation.
on October 31, 2014
I don’t usually read a book more than once, but when I was planning my month of horror I knew that Hater had to be involved. Hater redefines the whole post-apocalyptic genre and turns it into, “It’s the end of the world as we know it.”

What is great about Hater is the normalcy of everything. Danny McCoyne is not your typical PA hero, he is a normal family man, just trying to get by. He has a crappy job, three disgruntled kids, an exhausted wife, and a father-in-law who loves to rub in his superiority. In most PA books, Danny wouldn’t ever be worth mentioning. But David Moody creates a fantastic story around this most unlikely protagonist; it works because any of us could be Danny McCoyne.

The true genius of Hater comes from the origin of the apocalypse. It’s a “zombiesque” book, without the zombies. There is absolutely no way to know who is safe and who is not. With zombies, you can see them shuffle towards you, and as long as you keep making head shots, you’re good to go. In Hater there is no way to know who will change or when, there is no way to protect yourself from the danger.

Hater is the end of the world as you have never seen it before. It is dark and it fills you with hopelessness. I can imagine John Cleese telling me to remain calm, everything is under control, as soldiers carry my neighbor from their home, hoping that they are getting the right people. David Moody is definitely a glass half empty kind of writer.
on March 28, 2014
David Moody masterfully plays upon a multitude of primal fears in his new novel “Hater.” Fears about isolation, ignorance, random inexplicable violence, betrayal, and mass hysteria. It’s us against them in a race of kill or be killed. An endless cycle of violence; a snapshot of a world in which fear is the overwhelming motivation to kill. In which fear is used to justify pre-emptive violence. It’s not a pretty picture, but the underlying motto should be familiar—if we don’t get them, they’ll get us.

It’s the ideology behind the war on terrorism, and Britain and America’s current involvement in the Middle East. Terrorists hate us, seeking to harm and kill innocents. To kill our families. To kill us. But why? Do their actions arise out of hate—or out of fear? Are these groups on the offensive, or the defensive? Is one man’s terrorist, another man’s freedom fighter? These questions make “Hater” timely and topical; an examination of the disquieting and immense power of fear. How fear is the seed of hate.

Much has been made of Moody selling the film rights of “Hater” to Guillermo del Toro—the director of the Hellboy series and Pan’s Labyrinth—after initially self-publishing the novel online. After reading it, I can see why it would be attractive source material for a film. It’s highly cinematic, both visceral and intense. The book flows easily through a course of memorable scenes, amping up the drama all the way to the end. Sections of the novel strongly reminded me of the George Romero’s classic zombie film Dawn of the Dead. Both feature characters that isolate themselves, seeking refuge from a world spiraling into madness, having no clue why. All they can do is sit, and wait, while their situation grows increasingly more dismal. And more deadly.

Moody has crafted an intelligent and powerful novel. And an isolating one. One that traps you in your own skin, forcing you into self-reliance. Not because of the stranger on the street who’s a Hater, but because of your wife, or child, who suddenly becomes one. What do you do when those closest turn on you? Who other than yourself can you ever trust? Scary thoughts. But utterly engaging reading.

Suddenly it’s cool to hate.