5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Little Gem
Published 8 months ago by Mary McDonough

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
It's funny how some people will allow a total stranger of the opposite sex sleep in their home with their child is still beyond me. But to just ignore the changes and what their children are saying is just plain stupid. It gave me something to watch and kept me interested enough to finish it when I wasn't laughing.
Published 6 months ago by Onri

5.0 out of 5 stars A Surprising Little Gem, February 11, 2014
This review is from: Haunt (Amazon Instant Video)
I watch a lot of horror movies. I particularly love movies involving paranormal/ghosts/hauntings. Finding good ones nowadays is fairly difficult. So, I kind of went into this expecting a typical B-horror 'haunted house' type flick. I was totally blown away. The plot actually kept me interested but what I really liked about it were the subtleties and how everything eventually tied together. The build up was done well, and you weren't quite sure how everything connected until the end. I enjoyed the chemistry between the main character (teenage boy) and the neighbor girl. Their performances were very good. His desperate need to be her white knight and her problems at home have you wondering exactly what is real and what isn't. I also enjoyed seeing Ione Skye in this. And the actress who played the youngest daughter (Anita?) was pretty dang creepy in her scenes (especially the one with the family photo). I also liked the original house owner (Mrs. Morello)--the actress who played her made her this aloof and slightly off but empathetic character due to her family's 'curse'. Of course, the truth comes out in the end, and it's a surprise to see who pays the price for it. All-in-all a well acted, intriguing story that draws you in. This was a gem to find!

5.0 out of 5 stars loved it !i, March 1, 2014
This review is from: Haunt (Amazon Instant Video)
i love a good ghost story and this is definitely an excellent one. one of the best ive seen in a while. you wont be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly SCARY!, April 2, 2014
This review is from: Haunt [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
For a night in, I'd recommend this movie. Thought it would be so stupid but all I care about is that I jumped so many times unexpectedly! I'm a 33 woman who has loved horror (not slasher) since I was 4. I love the paranormal activity films, nightmare on elm street, The Others, The Descent and this movie satisfied my desire to watch a creepy movie that would get me to jump. WATCH IT !

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, March 30, 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars best horror movie of 2014, April 21, 2014
This review is from: Haunt (Amazon Instant Video)
I thought it was awesome!!!it was definitely creepy and had me looking over my shoulder -which coming out of my mouth is a very profound statement..

4.0 out of 5 stars DON'T...YOU...MOVE, May 29, 2014
This review is from: Haunt (DVD)
The film opens with excessive amount of background material, but not enough to explain the events, just that there is a haunted house with an old tube machine that still works which allows the user to converse with the dead in case they can't spell on a Ouija Board. A new family moves into the house which basically mirrors the old one.

The film then centers on the oldest son Evan (Harrison Gilbertson) and his newly acquired playmate and seer Samantha (Liana Liberato) to the unfortunate exclusion of everyone else. On the plus side, the build up was fairly decent with fleeting glimpses of moving figures and the past. At one point during the film, I did get a chill, something that is rare treat.

On the negative side was the narration of Jacki Weaver as Janet Morello. Her hair was done in a Zelda Rubenstein fashion and she used her small voice as if to imitate her. I think the film would have worked better without the narration. The other characters were never developed or really used in this haunting manner. It appeared Anita was getting into it, but it was just poorly done, missing opportunities.

A 3 star film I added a star for the unexpected chill.

Parental Guidance: No F-bombs. Implied teen sex. No nudity.

Note to self: Ghosts do not haunt when lights are on and people are eating pizza.

3.0 out of 5 stars One Timer, April 18, 2014
This review is from: Haunt [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
Strong start, weak finish. That's all there is.
At first it looks like it's going to be a heart
stopper. But what you're really waiting for
just never shows up. Very anti climatic.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, June 21, 2014
**Potential spoilers**

My hopes were so high. The trailer showed reasonable production value and there seemed to be a good number of high-star reviews from real accounts that I thought maybe, just maybe, this movie wouldn't be a party to the suck-fest that is contemporary indie horror. The premise is solid enough, the acting was good and the directing, sound and special effects put it a league above the amateur found-footage slop that has been wearing on horror fans in recent years. Despite having most of the right ingredients, the film's stale writing and agonizingly boring plot failed to engage me. As it turns out, Haunt is the most unfortunate kind of failure - the squandering of potential.

The movie stays true to the supernatural horror genre and will offer no surprises. Family moves into a house tainted by scandal which is dredged up by the protagonists' (hero Evan and love interest Sam) contact with the resident spirit. In this case, the protagonists are two boring teenagers who fire up a two-way radio that's supposed to facilitate contact with ghosts. Of course, it works and this unleashes an angry spirit into the household. Along the way, we're subjected to a mish-mash of tired clichés and characters acting without any apparent motivation. Evan's youngest sister plays with one of the ghosts children, and this has no meaningful effect on the story. In fact, none of Evan's family serves any purpose other than to justify his own existence - his parents are so simultaneously permissive and oblivious that I can only assume they're robots he built to pay the rent. Sam comes from an abusive household, yet is quick to trust Evan and even sneaks into his home to sleep in his bed after meeting him once in the woods. Aside from being an obvious power fantasy and lame exploitation of tragedy for a plot device, it makes absolutely no sense for a young girl to do that, and even less sense for Evan's parents to allow it and not report the abuse. The antagonist(s) motivations are genre staples, but poorly justified and make for an extremely boring ending.

All of this wouldn't be so bad except that as the movie tries to highlight its characters, it takes energy and time away from being a horror story. Why don't any of the characters try to get away from the house that may kill them? Why don't the parents care about anything at all? Where is the sense of self-preservation, and why isn't there any conflict between the desire to understand the obvious, dangerous phenomena and the desire to escape it? In short, what is motivating the characters to do anything, other than to excuse the lame scares clouded in post-processing filters? Unless I care about the characters, I'm not going to feel anything resembling fear. To make this worse, the backstory is told by a narrator and with info-dumps interspersed through the movie. If you need an example of why it's better to show, not tell your story, this movie is a prime candidate. Boring, boring, boring.

There are some good things about this film, though hardly notable. It's nice to see someone make a movie with a real cinematic vision, rather than letting the actors carry a cheap camera into the woods. The sound design and music were great (though dialog was mixed way too quiet). Acting wasn't bad, considering the material.

Haunt was clearly made by people who love the horror genre, and while they can make a movie, the plotting isn't very to watch. So, despite the technical talent of all involved, the film fails to be anything but corny effects and bad writing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., March 16, 2014
This review is from: Haunt [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
I called the twist about halfway through. There weren't that many "scary" parts, and we grew bored with the storyline toward the end. I'd wait until this movie is free on Netflix or Amazon Prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own., July 26, 2014
This review is from: Haunt (Amazon Instant Video)
Brilliant ! I simply can't believe how good this horror film is. From the opening sequence, the viewer is immediately drawn into this neatly-woven yarn.The very first actor we see must be classically trained from the theatre, he was so good in the possession scene it made the hairs on my forearms stand up. I've been a horror movie buff for more than forty years, and let me tell you folks, the acting throughout this diamond of a horror flick was top-notch from start to finish. I have no idea how big the budget for this picture was, but you can see very early on that every penny was wisely spent. If the budget was limited, they were intelligent enough NOT to save on acting talent. This movie is a lesson in how to make a really effective horror film. Be it the direction, the music, the super-creepy special effects, the cinematography or the truly wicked plot, the people involved in this project knew exactly how to get things done, properly. It scared the living daylights out of me. Well done !

Haunt
Haunt by Mac Carter (DVD - 2014)
$24.98 $9.96