Facility Spring Cleaning BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Sixx AM Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

on January 25, 2001
This was my second experience with Troy Taylor (the first being "Season of the Witch"). A wonderful piece of Illinois history, with true accounts and some very decent photos. I could not put it down! Anyone who is interested in the ghostly doings of the Prairie State simply must read this book. One and only one complaint - the editing leaves much to be desired, too many spelling, grammar, and typo errors - but I still give it 5 stars for content and downright enjoyment!
VINE VOICEon February 7, 2006
I've read a lot of these true haunted and ghost story books, and this is one of the very best. It's not only a collection of documented ghost sightings and legends, but it also acts as a social history of Illinois. In fact, you can learn much about Illinois' history from reading this book. The author is a great researcher and a good writer. I can't imagine someone not liking this book. The only complaint is the tiny print. I understand that the book is crammed with info, but the small print does make it difficult to read.
on June 21, 1999
Troy Taylor is the best writer in the ghost hunter's genre I have seen in years. His books are complete and not filled with usless rhetoric.Haunted Illinois is his best work to date. Almost 300 pages of spine tingling stories of actual happenings. If you want fiction, read Poe and Lovecraft. If you want REAL fear and terror, read Troy Taylor!
on October 20, 2005
Being from the Central Illinois area I found this book to be very truthful about the many places and stories of the area. Somethings I did not even know I have since checked on and have since found the stories to be reliable, (as far as the teller is concerned). Be aware though that the book is full of typo's! All in all, this book is a wonderful mix of real true to life history and paranormal happenings. I would not hesitate to recomend this book to anyone.
on January 23, 2004
I grew up in Illinois and was taught very very little of the history of my home state. I was especially fascinated with the sections on Decatur as my mother was born and raised there and I visited that city many times over the years. I'm anxious now to read the book by Troy Taylor devoted just to Decatur especially since my Uncle Everett was murdered at the age of 12 while preparing to deliver his morning newspapers. His murder has never been solved and since the police no longer have the records from the 20's & 30's I have a lot of unanswered questions. I'm hoping to draw some of my own conclusions from the old newspaper clippings I have on his murder, from some of Decatur's history mentioned in "Haunted Illinois", and from what I might glean from the book on Decatur. I agree with the other reader's reviews, reading would be easier if there weren't so many typos.
on December 3, 2011
As a native of Southern IL, I was very excited when I saw this book being offered for free on the Kindle. My home region is one often overlooked (and yes, my little rural self has hear the "Wait...there's more Illinois south of Interstate 80???" many times haha!), despite being a hotbed for fascinating historical accounts and possibly-related unexplained phenomena...but it's the first one the author discusses in this book! I grew up hearing scary stories from a lot of these places, and it's great to get a real historical background on some of these tales.

The writing style of this book is simple (just the facts) which makes the stories even more spine-tingling. I've been to the Old Slave House on a school trip, and refused to go back after the first time because of the eerie feeling I experienced. I also grew up hearing stories about Cave-In-Rock, the Enfield monster, and remember them publishing a story in our local paper about the police force seeing and reporting the UFOs. The Native American burial grounds are also everywhere in Southern IL/IN, and we certainly didn't learn about the paranormal side of them on our field trips!

I definitely recommend this book; even if you don't believe in ghosts, the cultural richness and local stories in Illinois are crazy, fun, and fascinating. And if you are a aspiring paranormal explorer, this book will make you want to come visit and hunt for our Sasquatch, or prowl the Ohio river reliving its bloody past.
on June 10, 1999
If you want fiction, read Poe and Lovecraft. If you want REAL rear and terror, read Troy Taylor!
on May 5, 1999
A very good source of Haunted places in Ill, and all have been thoroughly investigated, not just photographed! This is the best documentation of Ill hauntings since Chicago Haunts, by Ursual Bielski...another good read!!!
on October 4, 2005
Troy Taylor is the author of more than 30 books on ghosts and hauntings and knows his subject matter. This remains the definitve exploration of haunted places in Illinois. Combining a love of history with an interest in the paranormal, Taylor gives us a book that is well-researched and completely entertaining. I can recommend any of his books but "Haunted Illinois" is a great place to start. After that you've got 30 or so more that are equally as good!
on October 26, 2015
We took the haunted tour of Alton and heard about this book. I would highly recommend taking the tour in Alton and follow it up with this book. It gives a lot of history and interesting bits about the surrounding area.