Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$3.99

on October 31, 2012
I first read this book when it was originally published in print, and I've never forgotten how much I liked it. When I saw it was once again available, and this time for my Kindle, I jumped to download a copy. Heather MacAllister has been a favorite author of mine for many years. She never fails to deliver a fun read with characters you wish lived next door to you. This new cover alone would have enticed me to buy the book, even if I hadn't known how much I'd enjoy reading it again. Highly recommended.
on October 31, 2012
I really wanted to like the story and I thought it was totally timely as it's Halloween. But, I found myself frustrated with the main character. She was so back and forth that it made me crazy. I just wanted to reach through the book and shake her. By the end of the book, it just wasn't believable for me. I wasn't really pulling for either character at the end. I just felt like, "Okay, good luck...". Any grammar and punctuation errors didn't distract me, so that is a plus. Overall, this was just an okay book. But it's not one I would read again.
on January 4, 2013
Lizzie divorced her husband Jared several years ago. Both were architects but Lizzie liked doing fun projects (like her haunted houses) whereas Jared wanted to be a "serious" architect. He was also from a wealthy family (with an uptight mom) while Lizzie was from modest means. Lizzie has become famous for her haunted houses. Jared contacts her when he wants help with a haunted house he is helping build to serve as a fundraiser for a non-profit he cares deeply for. The story concerns the two of them reconnecting while building Jared's haunted house. Note that this is from 1993 so it is a bit dated (e.g. there are no cell phones).

It was interesting reading about Lizzie and the haunted houses she built. There was chemistry between Lizzie and Jared.... and a roadblock to them getting back together. However, I felt like Jared was a stuck-up jerk half the time. He still thought haunted houses were frivolous and didn't seem to respect Lizzie's skills. Even when they got back together, I kept thinking that they were going to run into the same problems as they had in the past as he still seemed too wrapped up in his image and being a serious architect (besides which, living in separate cities adds more difficulty). I also felt like she wasn't acting like a responsible businessperson by dropping everything to help out her ex-husband as a favor. It felt like she wasn't taking her business and customers seriously (and maybe that's why Jared treated her work as frivolous).

All in all, it was a light, enjoyable read. I would give it 3.5 stars. I rounded down to 3 stars (which is "okay" per Amazon) as I was very irritated by the characters' behavior (mentioned above).
on January 1, 2013
I got the book because I had seen so many five stars for the book, however, for me, the book fell short from what I was expecting. The plot was decent, however, I found the ex-husband too annoying and condescending to understand why the ex-wife in the book would not only fall in love with him again, but want him back. I get the ex-husband not understanding why she loved what she did, but his arrogance/superiority was displayed to a point in this book that I found him to be downright insulting to the ex-wife that I just could not root for her to be with him. I felt like the end came too abruptly and without much depth considering majority of the book was spent reading how different they were especially with the ex-husband dislike for her designing haunted houses to the point he came off almost hateful to the idea of her designing haunted houses. To me, I never got a true feeling that he tried or was going to try to understand or appreciate what she did. It basically gave me the feeling of 'we'll just agree to disagree about all our major issues that killed our marriage the first time for the sake of being together' and I can honestly say, this book left me with the feeling that these two people will end up getting a divorce for the second time.
on November 9, 2012
Well I woke up at three A.M. not quite ready to start a new day but too alert to return to dreamland so I decided to pick a book from my Kindle. I was looking for some light reading and I found it with Haunted Spouse. I read it all. It was easy reading. It was nice not having all the misspelled words and wrongly used words that are in so many books these days. The story flowed smoothly and the characters were interesting. Granted their personalities did clash at times and they both could be very intense but the story worked out their differences and showed that love can find a way. There was romance throughout the book without any smoking sex scenes. Been there done that do not need it in every book. I enjoyed the story and liked the Author's unusual conclusion. I can picture it working out for Jared and Elizabeth. Don't get me wrong I enjoy a good mystery and some hot smoken sex scenes at times myself. But a nice, relaxing, uncomplicated book is just the ticket for other times.
on October 11, 2015
When I picked up this book (I got it when it was a freebie) I was looking for a fun, holiday read for the month of October. Seeing some mixed reviews I wasn’t sure if I would like it or not. But, I found myself pleasantly surprised. The plot has me hooked from the first page. When introduced to Lizzie, I found her to be charming. She has a deep love for Halloween, designs haunted houses for a living, and is pretty happy considering she has been single ever since she became divorced from her ex, Jared, a few years ago. But when Jared calls asking for her help to design a haunted house for him and his work, Lizzie’s life becomes chaotic. Deep seated feelings all come rushing back and not only does Lizzie have to take time out of her busy schedule to help Jarod, but she must also come to terms with her feelings for him. Enter pure mayhem when plans don’t go right and an obnoxious and hateful finance, and readers will find themselves laughing and cringing as they read this story!
on November 8, 2012
I love this book despite it being past halloween!

Although i have a couple of concerns. Jared was the biggest a-hole i had ever read about through the book! He was insulting and mean but somehow, i couldnt hate him for longer than a minute, much like Lizzie.

What i am guessing is, they are the perfect opposites, ice and fire, oil and water that it seemed okay.

Maybe it seems stupid to other readers as your reading this but the author's writing made everything seem okay though Lizzies an EXTREMELY emotional person while i myself dont cry and break down and like my charactars bold, strong and kick but(amazon isnt letting me curse anymore ); Guess they are taking their guidelines seriously now!).

It is a fun and quick read - if you have no interruptions that is - for an after holiday and free too!
on October 14, 2013
This is a great little romance. Lizzie is the wild child whose ex wanted her to be mrs prim and proper, while Jared can't relax and is the definition of uptight and proper. But the desperate need for help with a haunted house puts them back in each other's paths. After a lot of twists and turns its a good book because they do find love again a love that despite major differences can last the second time around.
on February 3, 2013
I didn't finish the book because I didn't buy into the theme of the romance, I couldn't believe in the affair after separation and got bored with the developing plot. It was more of a personal preference than a lack of ability from the author.
on November 5, 2012
I just got this book and finished it in one day! It's very intriguing and really fun to read.
I love the romance and the suspense, I think the setting of Haunted Houses is the perfect book for this time of year! Great book!
Brandi Gillilan