5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!
Published on July 29, 2011 by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly book
Published on September 11, 2011 by NormaJean

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, July 29, 2011
This review is from: A Haunting at Hensley Hall (A Ravynne Sisters Paranormal Mystery Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
Merabeth James Does it again! Charlie and Meg are two sisters that win a "Haunted" house from a town that would like to keep the past in the past. As the sisters try and work with the ghosts that inhabit the house they also try and solve a string of forty year old murders. As the characters build up around them, including Zack the writer and Annie the cook/housekeeper, strange occurrences and people going missing like they did forty years ago stretch the sisters thin.
Ms. James knows how to draw her readers in and keep them strung along with twists and turns and characters that are so real and lifelike you feel like you are in her story! Definitely a great read and I cannot wait for the sequel! I feel like I could pester her to know what is going to happen next with the Ravynne sisters but I doubt she will tell me. Must be patient! Alas a must read for anyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars Silly book, September 11, 2011
I mildly enjoyed previous books by Merabeth James (For Sale: Old Manor House and Sanctuary Annie) so I thought I would read this new one. I can't believe the same person wrote this latest book, I am convinced someone else wrote it an put Merabeth's name on it. The proverbial "everything but the kitchen sink" was thrown into this book. 3/4 of the way into the book, Meg is characterized as an empath, when this was not even hinted at previously. Although 2 or 3 times she was described as a ghost magnet, which is not the same thing. Then, for some reason, her sister Charlie was made a secret govt agent--don't know why???? To finish renovating the old house into a B&B, their parents conveniently send them a big check to pay for the work. I know I am supposed to suspend disbelief but this book takes a lot of that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Paranormal?, October 1, 2011
I read reviews posted on the initial product page for this book and I am highly disappointed. The characters are stiff, wooden and annoying; the dialogue never goes anywhere. I kept thinking things would get to a point pretty soon...but it didn't! There never seemed to be a point to any of it, jumping from one unconnected scene to another. Don't bother with this if you appreciate good character development, realistic dialogue and storyline. Much as I love horror and the paranormal, I couldn't care less what these stupid women do.

2.0 out of 5 stars Eh. Just, eh., November 13, 2011
EmilyJane1818 (Baltimore, MD USA) - See all my reviews
I remember really loving the synopsis of this book; haunted house stories have always been among my favorite to read. I had a sample delivered to my Kindle and was intrigued enough to want to read more, so I bought the whole book. First, what I liked:

-- The fact that this was supposed to be a haunted house story

Now, what I didn't like:

-- The dialogue between characters, which was often idiotic, pedantic and/or unrealistic

-- The weak and "clingy" nature of Meg, who's SUPPOSED to be an adult, and the overbearing and possessive nature of Charlie; this would have been grating even in secondary characters, but the fact that they're main characters makes it that much harder to swallow (unless, of course, the author is deliberately trying for one of those "enabler" type codependent relationships, in which case, I guess their personalities are spot-on)

-- ANY of the characters; it's hard to take an interest in people you don't even like, no?

-- The incomplete. Sentences.

-- The! overuse! of! exclamation! points (or are the characters SUPPOSED to be screaming at each other constantly?)

-- The overall lack of editing

-- The ending, which was corny, corny, corny...like something one would read in a children's book

A note about editing: I'm willing to give leeway in the editing department if the characters are well-developed and the story solid, but in this case, unfortunately.... It definitely had potential (the only reason I gave it two stars and not one), but I'm sorry to say that it just fell flat; I kept waiting for it to "take off," but it never really did.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, August 28, 2011
Probably the worst book I have ever read and I have read some serious junk. I kept reading it because every time I thought it had bottomed out it would hit a new low. It was fascinating, but not in a good way. Yeah there were typos and misspelled words and grammatical mistakes, but they didn't make any difference. The ghosts are portrayed as if they were nothing special, in fact they were boring. The chemistry between the characters (none) was the perfect prelude to the sex scenes which were just embarrassingly awful; even though they were really brief and nothing happened they were still out of any emotional context and just nasty-sort of Mary Poppins meets Dracula (only the hero's not a vampire he's a drug dealer who may have shot the heroine's husband). Random plot lines appear and disappear. People and events get added in suddenly to explain things that happened 50 pages earlier. I defy you to keep track of who the ghost cat (yep, ghost cat) is sleeping with, I think the author confused herself. I'd say it's worth the 99 cents as the nadir of it's genre.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fluff read, June 13, 2012
This book was interesting for the price, but I'm glad I didn't pay any more for it. It badly needs an editor, in more ways than one. I found the characters to be two dimensional, at best. The storyline itself wasn't bad, but the plot was rather weak in several spots. In fact, I knew "whodunnit" before I was halfway through the book--too many obvious red herrings, designed as misdirection, of course. The clues were just way to obvious as to the identity of the perp in this one.

It was a fluff read, one of those mindless books that you might enjoy late in the evenings when you don't want to have to think about a thing. And honestly, 99 cents is not a bad deal, if you like fluff reads.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit annoying, October 18, 2011
I liked it, but I didn't love it. The atmosphere was very well done but the characters were too over the top. Where their conversations should have ended, they didn't, instead continuing to talk about the same thing for several more pages.

The ghosts kept me interested, they were very well done.

2.0 out of 5 stars such potential, July 31, 2011
I really wanted to like this book. It has all the things I love. An old haunted mansion, a mystery to solve, sisters working together. I only made it half way through the book though. The excess and unnecessary quotations marks and exclamation marks as well as the somewhat juvenile writing style wore me down. I just couldn't finish the book. A good editor would have made all the difference.

3.0 out of 5 stars had such promise..., September 16, 2011
I eagerly started this book because I really enjoyed her other book (For sale: Old Manor House). This story started out with a lot of promise. Towards the middle of the book the story started getting a little sloppy... a few characters were introduced that didn't really have anything to do with the story at all, there wasn't much to the ghost story part of the book and the parts that were, were so short it bothered me. There were introductions to characters that were a part of the story but the conversations held between those characters seemed of little help with the mystery at hand and silly. By the end of the book I realized there were still a couple loose story ends that never got tied up/explained. It was as if someone else had written this story and put Merabeth's name on it or that her publisher said "Hey! I need a book NOW!" because it was so poorly written and hurried feeling. I'm glad the book was only 99 cents!! Being that I enjoyed her other stories I'll def. read the sequel to this and hope that it's better written!! Please Merabeth, just pen romance novels and leave the mysteries to other authors....

5.0 out of 5 stars A good mystery, and engaging characters., August 15, 2014
Julie (Longmont, Colorado) - See all my reviews
I love a good mystery, and Merebeth James is good at telling one! Mix up an old house (mansion) won in a contest, ghosts, murders from 40 years ago, and two sisters with the ability to get into, and out of, trouble! Charilie is the kind of person that is in charge. Very protective of her younger siblings, she is sometimes a bit bossy, but always caring. And Meg has been able to see and hear ghosts since she was a small child. Mix that up with Hensley Hall, and you have a very good read. I read it in one day and started the next in the series that same day.

Rate and Discover Movies