Your Garage Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on October 12, 2011
Ok I picked up this film because I just bought a 3d TV and I like horror and 3d. My first impression, What is this asylum company and where are all these 3d films they advertize? See it seems like they advertized a large collection of previews like 10+ I think ALL in 3d. everything is in 3d here, I mean everything. the previews, the behind the scenes features everything. I was sad to find out that all of the films they advertize are not available in 3d blu-ray some only on dvd and not in 3d. but I digress.

This film is not noteworthy. I wanted to like it because I liked what seems to be a mid level b-movie studio with a lot of interesting films,putting their feet in the water of 3d-blu-ray and darn it I want to see some of those preview movies in 3d blu ray, but this film is dull. The scares are well just not there. They are either so telegraphed your like ok come on already or so quick you could literally turn your head and miss them.

The 1st few minutes of the film are actually probably the best part of the film. It is scarier and even has a bit jump out of your seat chills there. After the opening story is done and you get to see the main characters come in, the movie just loses that tension it had in the first set-up story and sadly never gets it back. I didn't totally get this for the film but for the 3d and here I did like it.

THE 3D:
1st like I said before the whole disk is 3d. put on your glasses as soon as you hit play because all of the previews are 3d and cool to watch. (Even the copyright warning is 3d) Actually the previews may be more fun then the movie :). The 3d in the film doesn't have alot of jump out at you 3d and works best with some cool depth shots and a creepy house interior. I really liked the making of feature. After hearing a ton of times how great this director is, you get a real in depth discussion of the camera they use and how the 3d process works and the challenges and since the feature is also in 3d it makes you really feel like you are behind the scenes even more.

FINAL Thoughts:
Watch the previews and first few minutes of the film and you will have an enjoyable time, but the movie will let you down the longer you watch. This is a film that I still think is worth a buy in a very weak 3d content market right now. I actually hope the studio continues to make more movies from their catalog in this format because they got the 3D down and it's nice to have a stream of films that aren't just blockbusters and documentaries. looking for a good horror film look elsewhere, looking for something to add to your 3d collection and you could do much worse.
on October 13, 2011
I feel like, sadly, this has to be explained for some people. The reviews here of this film is like a classical history professor going to a Rocky Horror tribute and criticizing the exposition for featuring a Transvestite. You don't buy this film expecting a Spielberg blockbuster, you buy this film knowing it is a B movie, a horror B movie at that! The acting isn't great (the kids do a much better job than the parents), the story isn't original, the directing is probably the worst part about the entire movie, but it's fun, it's not pretentious and there's a huge audience for B horror flicks like A Haunting in Salem.

The featurette was cool, it's obvious these people know they're making a B movie. That's kind of the point, we get to see in the 'making of' that they are laughing along with us. So criticizing it for not being a masterpiece film is sort of self-deprecating.
on October 30, 2011
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 12 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer, a pot handle at 15% and the same leaf at 20% 4 times in a brief period.

The in-screen 3D is vivid but pushed to the limits most of the time. Pushing the 3D to the limit for an object at 1 depth seems to have caused MINOR 3D defects at other depths 13 times. Additionally, 10 times there were easily noticeable 3D flaws in the background. Don't get me wrong, this film is a keeper as long as you don't mind the lack of OOS effects. With more (3D) camera time and better stereographing, I expect some awesome 3D from Asylum in their future.

MY 3D RATING = GOOD to VERY GOOD, 3 1/2 stars (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds
on December 26, 2013
I wasnt very fond of this movie, but it was inexpensive and in 3D. There is nothing different about this movie compared to any others with the same story line. BUt its a good once over movie. It does have its moments where u find yourself jumping and even getting goosebumps, but the acting is just below average.
on December 11, 2011
Ok there were PLENTY of holes in the plot,but the 3D and the scares kept me interested. As i've said on a number of my reviews...at least it is not expensive. For the bucks it costs,plus pretty good 3D,and a few chills,its worth adding to a 3D collection.Don't expect a horror classic,just expect pretty good 3D and a ok horror flick.
on October 27, 2013
English only. No subtitles. I buy this movie for the 3D and the lower price. All the actors are really bad with a capital b. The special effect and the drama is any very bad. But surprise of the surprise the 3D of the picture are good. So forget the actors and the drama and enjoy the quality of the 3D effects.
on January 23, 2015
OPENING SCENE:

There is nothing like a bad Asylum film. The opening scene we have the camera panning up the stairs as if something is going up. A man is drawing a bath. Now in case you missed the stair panning scene, they repeat it. The next thing you know someone is holding the guy's head underwater and suddenly a steamy mist is coming from the tub. After mom has a fatal encounter with Saran Wrap, the sheriff shows up and rather than report the crime, opts to burn down the house, but fails and is pushed out of the window which proves to be 50% fatal.

We flash forward to 60 years later. There is a new sheriff in town (Bill Oberst jr.) who we notice was a burn victim, something that was never really developed or played a major part of the film. He has a wife Carrie (Courtney Abbiati) and two teen kids (Jenna Stone and Nicholas Harsin). Now we get the bad plot fillers. This house was built in 1692, but remodeled so it doesn't look old. It was owned by Judge Corwin who ordered the death of the Salem 19....buried on the grounds which also was the location of the courthouse (which BTW was located downtown and was an inn).

The haunting figures were scary looking but were in scenes that lacked the build up and scare factor. The acting was Asylum grade and the characters weren't developed, especially the son who really doesn't factor into the film until the end. And why does the sheriff and his wife sleep in their clothes?

Guide: No f-bombs, sex, or nudity.
on June 25, 2013
I'm sorry but I don't know where they got these actors from. First off the Mom is young and beautiful and the dad ( sheriff) is like 65, I would guess the mom around 30 with a like 20 yr old daughter . The story line is terrible and the acting is low class. The 3d is not too bad though.
on October 18, 2011
Do not waste your money. My husband, brother, and I laughed and joked about this movie the entire time. Just EVERY possible stereotype horror flicks tend to have. Just ridiculous. Silly. Stupid. Acting was just horrible. There was nothing about this movie that I could even say I liked, except for when it was over.
on November 20, 2011
I often find myself looking at reviews of new movies on IMDB to see how others rated a film prior to spending money on it, often I will overlook it and draw my own opinion. Well this movie was one of those incidents, I did not research it and thought it can't be that bad, well it was.

First off the movie is supposed to be based in Salem, MA though it was actually filmed in Pasadena, CA. The landscape and fake, cheesy "Salem" sign in the beginning initiated that saying "the writing is on the wall". The storyline was extremely weak, the acting was bad and aside from a couple of trademark scare you moments, I found myself about to press the stop button a few times but suffered through it to the end.