5.0 out of 5 stars Like Niche Horror? This Is It!
Published on October 13, 2011 by NRH

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Moving B-movie. weak chills, nice extras
Published on October 12, 2011 by bacchus68

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow Moving B-movie. weak chills, nice extras, October 12, 2011
Ok I picked up this film because I just bought a 3d TV and I like horror and 3d. My first impression, What is this asylum company and where are all these 3d films they advertize? See it seems like they advertized a large collection of previews like 10+ I think ALL in 3d. everything is in 3d here, I mean everything. the previews, the behind the scenes features everything. I was sad to find out that all of the films they advertize are not available in 3d blu-ray some only on dvd and not in 3d. but I digress.

This film is not noteworthy. I wanted to like it because I liked what seems to be a mid level b-movie studio with a lot of interesting films,putting their feet in the water of 3d-blu-ray and darn it I want to see some of those preview movies in 3d blu ray, but this film is dull. The scares are well just not there. They are either so telegraphed your like ok come on already or so quick you could literally turn your head and miss them.

The 1st few minutes of the film are actually probably the best part of the film. It is scarier and even has a bit jump out of your seat chills there. After the opening story is done and you get to see the main characters come in, the movie just loses that tension it had in the first set-up story and sadly never gets it back. I didn't totally get this for the film but for the 3d and here I did like it.

THE 3D:
1st like I said before the whole disk is 3d. put on your glasses as soon as you hit play because all of the previews are 3d and cool to watch. (Even the copyright warning is 3d) Actually the previews may be more fun then the movie :). The 3d in the film doesn't have alot of jump out at you 3d and works best with some cool depth shots and a creepy house interior. I really liked the making of feature. After hearing a ton of times how great this director is, you get a real in depth discussion of the camera they use and how the 3d process works and the challenges and since the feature is also in 3d it makes you really feel like you are behind the scenes even more.

FINAL Thoughts:
Watch the previews and first few minutes of the film and you will have an enjoyable time, but the movie will let you down the longer you watch. This is a film that I still think is worth a buy in a very weak 3d content market right now. I actually hope the studio continues to make more movies from their catalog in this format because they got the 3D down and it's nice to have a stream of films that aren't just blockbusters and documentaries. looking for a good horror film look elsewhere, looking for something to add to your 3d collection and you could do much worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Niche Horror? This Is It!, October 13, 2011
I feel like, sadly, this has to be explained for some people. The reviews here of this film is like a classical history professor going to a Rocky Horror tribute and criticizing the exposition for featuring a Transvestite. You don't buy this film expecting a Spielberg blockbuster, you buy this film knowing it is a B movie, a horror B movie at that! The acting isn't great (the kids do a much better job than the parents), the story isn't original, the directing is probably the worst part about the entire movie, but it's fun, it's not pretentious and there's a huge audience for B horror flicks like A Haunting in Salem.

The featurette was cool, it's obvious these people know they're making a B movie. That's kind of the point, we get to see in the 'making of' that they are laughing along with us. So criticizing it for not being a masterpiece film is sort of self-deprecating.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3D Review by a 3D Connoisseur, October 30, 2011
Keith Niemeyer (LaCrosse, WI USA) - See all my reviews
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 12 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer, a pot handle at 15% and the same leaf at 20% 4 times in a brief period.

The in-screen 3D is vivid but pushed to the limits most of the time. Pushing the 3D to the limit for an object at 1 depth seems to have caused MINOR 3D defects at other depths 13 times. Additionally, 10 times there were easily noticeable 3D flaws in the background. Don't get me wrong, this film is a keeper as long as you don't mind the lack of OOS effects. With more (3D) camera time and better stereographing, I expect some awesome 3D from Asylum in their future.

MY 3D RATING = GOOD to VERY GOOD, 3 1/2 stars (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds

1.0 out of 5 stars Are you kidding me?, October 18, 2011
Do not waste your money. My husband, brother, and I laughed and joked about this movie the entire time. Just EVERY possible stereotype horror flicks tend to have. Just ridiculous. Silly. Stupid. Acting was just horrible. There was nothing about this movie that I could even say I liked, except for when it was over.

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible, it made me laugh. *Spoilers*, August 31, 2012
This review is from: A Haunting in Salem (DVD)
This movie was awful. Bad graphics, bad acting. The actors they chose didnt even go together. The father looks like he is a 60 yr old married to a 20 something yr old. The mother acts more like a teenager herself than a mother of 2 teenage children. I just couldnt picture them as a realistic family. The daughter ends up getting sick and throwing up all over the place and it never occurs to the parents that maybe their daughter should go and see a doctor.

There is just so many things that dont go together in this movie. I couldnt help but laugh at the end where the father gets pushed out a 2 story window, falls head first, gets up and goes back into the house. He sees his son hanging by his neck on a chandalier and walks on past him with barely a glance. He finds his wife dead and (im not exgerating) actually looks like he is about to laugh but quickly follows it up with an act of sadness. Then leaves the house and doesnt think of getting his wife and son down from the ceiling. He also seems to care more about his wife then his children, when usually it is the other way around. He then proceeds to drench the house with gasoline, purposely pouring gasoline on his son and wife (didnt make sense to me).

This whole movie is just a mess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrible Movie and 3D, February 29, 2012
The movie itslef was one of the worst ones I have ever seen, and I've had many..hehe...
The 3d was horrible too, no wonder why this blu ray 3d was soo cheap.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst movie I've seen in a LONG time!, February 5, 2012
This is the worst movie that I have seen in a long time. My daughter and I enjoy watching well made horror flicks, but this is NOT one of them. Definitely NOT filmed in Salem,I couldn't believe that one. It looked and felt nothing like the real Salem..I guess that slipped through the dubious editing process. The acting was stilted and silly...not believable in any way at all. And on a final note, to make such a tacky and terrible film based on the horrific events in Salem was a disgrace to the memory of all of those victims. Don't waste your money or your time on this trash.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad, December 9, 2011
The 3D in the movie was very clean and very well done. But that was the only good thing about the movie. The story well sucked, the acting was worse, and the sound stage was not there. The whole movie budget got used up in the 3D

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad acting, poor storyline, big disappointment!, November 20, 2011
I often find myself looking at reviews of new movies on IMDB to see how others rated a film prior to spending money on it, often I will overlook it and draw my own opinion. Well this movie was one of those incidents, I did not research it and thought it can't be that bad, well it was.

First off the movie is supposed to be based in Salem, MA though it was actually filmed in Pasadena, CA. The landscape and fake, cheesy "Salem" sign in the beginning initiated that saying "the writing is on the wall". The storyline was extremely weak, the acting was bad and aside from a couple of trademark scare you moments, I found myself about to press the stop button a few times but suffered through it to the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible film, November 1, 2011
Skip this one because it could have been better but it wound up being not so great. The haunting in Connecticut was much better.

A Haunting in Salem
A Haunting in Salem by Shane Van Dyke (DVD - 2011)
$24.95 $7.99