Questions & Answers
Please make sure that your post is a question about the product. Edit your question or post anyway.
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 134 questions
votes
I had the same question before I bought the unit. Equipment like Blu-Ray players and cable boxes with an HDMI output use a protection scheme to prevent the recording of digital HDTV material. So, if you connect the HDMI outputs from these devices directly into the Hauppauge 1212 there will be no video. Now you have a choice, use the component video cables or buy an active HDMI spliter. I went the spliter route. The HDMI spliter is approx $25. You just have to be sure the one you buy will eliminate the copy protection. There is a lot of on-line discussions about various HDMI spliters. I use the Haup 1212 to record football when I can't be home. So, I needed to be able to take the HDMI cable box output to the HDMI input on the Haup 1212. So, now the HDMI cable from the cable box is connected to the HDMI spliter input then one output goes to the Haup 1212 and the other goes to my home theater system. Works fine.
May 15, 2014 by AMD
votes
The unit itself does not record, it just simply acts as a switch which takes the signal going to the TV, and splits it - sending one signal to the TV, the other to your computer which is doing the recording. In our case with XBox, whatever is being displayed on the TV from the XBox (games, Netflix, other apps) is going to be recordable on the computer this unit is hooked into. I have not tried hooking up a DirecTV receiver to it. Sorry.
Jan 14, 2014 by boi_hawks
votes
Doubtful as an SD VHS doesn't have the pixel (resolution) density - nothing to fill in - typically with video you can always go down in size and resolution but not up.
Oct 4, 2013 by making IT simple
vote
yes. my connection is from a directv setup and I use it to record football games and tv shows. couldn't be easier. I use the component video with a separate digital audio cable from the directv reciever to get high def sound with the video. you can use editing software to remove commercials easily and either burn to dvd or as jr says below replay the files anytime to your tv using a media player -- add a cheap external drive to store and you never have to keep up with DVD again.
Dec 20, 2012 by Scott Stuart
vote
Check out the Channel Master DVR+ Bundle - subscription free digital video recorder with web features and channel guide (CM7500BDL2) and see if that works for you.
Nov 10, 2014 by D2
vote
This device, though named "PVR," is not in itself a recording device. All this device does is convert HD analog (from a cable box, for example) to digital and sends it to a computer via USB for recording. So, no, you can't connect a hard drive to IT, but you can connect all the hard drives you wish to the computer you install it on.
Apr 19, 2014 by DrDon
votes
j-rob-82: Are you using 32 bit Windows 7 or 64 bit? I have 64 bit Windows 7 and am concerned that the Hauppauge software may not work on my computer. I read the following on the Hauppauge website: HD PVR CD version 2.4: Includes Arcsoft TME version 1.0.9.9 and HD PVR driver version 1.5.6.1 Here are some of the latest features and additions to the TME application: Windows signed driver for Windows 7 This driver supports 32/64 bit Vista WHQL signed. So, it works with Vista 32/64 bit and Windows 7 but does that mean both 32 and 64 bit Windows 7?
Dec 20, 2009 by Doc Ostrow
votes
The Component (RGB) cables carry only the video signal. You need to connect the Audio, either an optical (SPDIF) cable -OR- a stereo L/R cable. The stereo L/R cable is included, but you must supply the optical cable if that is what you wish to use.
Jun 12, 2014 by Grandpap
votes
**edit** They linked the wrong product sorry; you connect the A/V cables to the TV, and then the USB cable to a PC. The PC stores the video files. You'd have to stream the video from your computer to the television.
Dec 24, 2013 by Amazon Customer
votes
Hello Justin, This device has both inputs and outputs in the back of the unit (component, RCA audio (left and right), and digital audio) in high definition and it has composite and audio inputs on the front for standard definition. The outputs are the pass-thrus and the USB port is the main output that goes to your computer. It does not have HDMI. The video/audio pass-thru outputs are really not needed for recording but they come in handy for connecting a TV so you can see what you are recording, even though the software on your computer can also show you what you are recording (such as MythTV in Linux or the software that came with the installation disk for Windows). If I understand your question correctly, there is no need to record using the pass-thru ( to record using the pass-thru would involve hooking another recording device) because the USB cable from the back of the device directs your recording to your computer. By the time the signal reaches the pass-thru outputs, it has already been recorded and sent to your computer via the USB cable. Note that the component input on the front of the device is not high definition and is only in 4x3 aspect. I use Linux and don't use MythTV for playback but I use the cat command in a terminal window to launch a linux video player (similar to Window's Media Player). All the best, Roy
May 1, 2013 by rrrssssss
‹ Previous   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   ...   14   Next ›

Unanswered questions
Search Questions and Answers