Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on October 3, 2008
This is a relatively new product and I was skeptical as to whether it would work for me. There were very few reviews to help guide me. I'm happy to say that the tuner card installed easily, the drivers loaded properly, and both tuners (this is a dual tuner card) are functioning with my digital video recording software. I use Beyond TV and wasn't sure that the current version of BTV would recognize this new tuner device. I had some initial concerns in that the Hauppauge software that came with the tuner card wouldn't pick up one of my local channels (the weakest channel in my area). However, the BTV software successfully directed the tuner card to the weak channel and the tuners pull in a sufficiently strong signal for good reception. I'm delighted with this card and would recommend it. Just make sure you have the appropriate slot open in your computer to accept it. Double check the specs for the card and your computer to ensure compatibility. Oh yeah... you can order directly from Hauppauge for less than what Amazon has it priced at.
on March 5, 2009
Although the tuners worked with Vista Media Center as advertised, there was a problem with the coax connectors. One of the connectors became partially disconnected from the board and I had to resolder it to ensure a good electrical and physical connection. As an owner of other Hauppauge boards, I was very surprised.

Because of this problem, I recommend using slip-on coax cables with this board as opposed to the normal screw-on type. Even hand-tightening is not gentle enough for this board.
on October 30, 2008
This thing is pretty sweet. Just connect 1 coax cable and it splits it internaly. I like being able to record 2 shows at once. I watch TV on my big screen, but use this to record my favorite shows and works great, the quality, although not HD over my standard cable connection, is still quite good. My friends brag about having a 100gb Tivo, lol, i have 2Tbs, and can burn em to DVD, hehe. Great card, works perfect on Vista Ultamate 64bit. I use it with Media Center and not the WinTV.

The shipping was super fast and the price is certainly great.
on October 4, 2011
I began cutting the umbilical cord to my cable company (AT&T) 6 months ago when I realized there was not all that much I really wanted to see on 990 of the 1000 channels. For a while, I limped along watching internet TV (Hulu, broadcast networks online, etc) but I was getting frustrated by the commercial (albeit shorter) interruptions. So I shopped around and found this $90 tuner card for the the $350 computer I had picked up from the refurbished Dell site (a quad core AMD with 1 TB HD, Nvidia graphics, DVD, 4GB RAM, wireless). Threw in the windows remote control for $25 and voila, I now have the best DVR, DVD, Netflix, Internet TV I've ever experienced. Oh yeah, I also dropped $45 on an HD antennae from Costco since I didn't have any antennae to start. The best $510 I've ever spent, especially since I've saved over $400 in cable bills in the last 6 months alone. The tuner card has worked flawlessly and the Windows media center is the best user interface for DVRing that I've ever had (I've had COX, AT&T, and satellite; all are klunky compared to an interface that can use a mouse and keyboard). I love being able to click and drag my playhead to where I want it in the movie instead of having to fast forward at ridiculous speeds that make my eyes buggy. I am one happy camper.
on March 4, 2009
The hardware works great. The wintv software came with it is buggy though, and I had hard time using its channel auto-search. It found all the analog channels but no HDs. I had to look up the physical frequencies online and "tell" it the numbers. With my help it found all the HD channels but the recording went wrong every 20-30 minutes (it would time shift back 5 minutes once in a while so you get part of the show twice and lost some other parts). And I couldn't get the tv guide to work. After tried all that, I reinstalled my OS to windows 7 beta, boom, worked like a charm. Now It can record two HD channels smoothly at the same time (without the need of an HD converter box -- since it supports QAM I just plug in the cable on the wall). And with media center (builtin in windows 7) I can get all the channels mapped correctly. I have a remote and a IR sensor from an old media center pc (it doesn't have a free PCI-e slot so I cannot simply replace its TV card with this one), so I plugged the sensor to the windows 7 machine. Worked immediately. It saved me a lot of time watching TV because I could use the remote to skip commercials. Can you believe each segment of commercials in a one-hour TV show can be 3 minutes or longer? The real show only runs for about 45 minutes. Overall I'm very happy with the tuner card. The reason for 4 stars is the wintv software.
on September 16, 2012
I'm a retired DP guy and I've used Hauppauge TV Tuners for about 10 years. I'm running XP Pro on a a 3yr old 3ghz Intel Dual Processor, with on-board video, connected to a 23" 16x9 Samsung HD monitor with built-in TV Tuner.

The hardware and its drivers have always been very good and dependable. The WinTV7 software has finally moved to what we call Contemporary Professional Standards. Its actually quite good. See Note Below.

Installation was a breeze. To install, first, download the latest software from Hauppauge and install using that. You'll be asked to put your CD in the CD Drive to verify registration. All of this went without incident for me.

HD is stunning on regular TV, but on a small screen, its almost life-like. There might be some difference between the card and the TV output but I can't see it. As I get signal of-the-air, I do notice that the card picks up a number of channels that the TV Tuner doesn't see and in general the card sees a stronger signal than the TVs Tuner.

Sometimes, rarely, I watch in full screen, but mostly, I watch TV in the right half of the screen and do stuff on the left half. This release has Picture-in-Picture; but, it doesn't have a way to swap the two pictures. Hope that they add it soon.

Just a note if you're not aware, HD TV Video is a compressed stream (MPEG) of great size - 3-4 GIG per hour. When you view this, the WinTV7 Application engages the PCs CPU to uncompress this file and your video subsystem to display the picture. When displaying a picture in full screen on my PC, WinTV7 uses 20-50% of the CPU.

When you use WinTV7 to record the TV Video it will require 3-4 gigabyte of disk space for every hour that you record (for each tuner). However, while recording for later viewing, WinTV7 will use practically no CPU as its only transferring the incoming compressed file to disk. When you view it, of course, is when you'll use the CPU.

You can also view/record Analog Video. On-board MPEG Encoders compress the signal and store the result on disk very efficiently - always have. It has an FM Tuner, but I've never used it. Finally, I've had as many as 5 of these tuners in a single machine (2 Duals and a Single) that ran for a couple of years without any problem.

*** NOT - So, its a great tuner(s) card and I recommend it highly.

Note: This White Box does not come with WinTV7. I own it from a previous "Retail Box" purchase. If you do not have it, WinTV7 can be purchased/downloaded from Hauppauge for about $10.

**** Update after one year. NOT RECCOMENDED FOR OTA

This card is just NOT RELIABLE FOR OTA. If the OTA signal is "too weak?" or too strong?" nothing is shown. However, the same signal produces vivid, strong images on my two TVs presenting high scores on their internal signal strength meters. I would suspect the card, but Hauppauge support has been non-responsive to the issue during the entire time that I've have owned the card.
on August 15, 2012
I installed this tuner card and set it up using the Hauppauge software, which works well, then decided I wanted to use it with Media Center instead. Media Center is the preferable method as far as I am concerned because it works more seamlessly with the computer once you get the onscreen schedule/guide set up. This is not a simple process, and I would suggest reading all the instructions in advance, including reading independent websites, which are extremely helpful. The bottom line, though,is that the Hauppauge tuner gets good picture and sound. I bought extra long HDMI and audio cables and attached directly to my 46 inch HDTV, and it looks great. I can watch HD video straight off the internet or watch using the Hauppauge tuner. I use it mainly for recording sports events and playing them back on the TV. It works great.
on January 30, 2013
I have had very good luck with Hauppauge products in the past, so after some research I decided to give this card a try. I installed the card to grab OTA HD on my MythTV media center. The card has been flawless so far (like most Hauppauge products).
on June 7, 2010
I bought one of these to use in a home theater PC, in combination with an HVR-1850. This gives my PC a total of 3 OTA HD tuners. Enough to record more HD OTA shows than I will ever need. The card works great under Windows 7. Media center is able to seamlessly use the 3 tuners, including the 2 on this card.
This card only requires a single input cable for the two OTA tuners, so there is no need for an additional video pre-amp.
I couldn't be happier with this card.
on January 27, 2013
A little history beforehand.I have been using a Hauppauge 1600 TV Tuner for almost 4 years now, it works fine, though (and this is according to Hauppauge) it may not work in certain PCI slots, maybe the 1st or the 2nd. So when I installed a low end video card next to it, The video card and tune became to hot and made my system unstable. That being said, I am familiar with TV tuner cards and and their use.

So I decided to purchase a new Hauppauge HVR-2250, with the understanding that it may or may not have issues and cause system instability. So far I am very pleased.

The HVR-2250 is significantly smaller than the 1600, making it a low profile card in addition to having a smaller width. I installed the card on a Windows 7 system. At first the card was not recognized since the drivers were not installed nor were they provided by Microsoft through the auto updates, so I simply downloaded the drivers from the Hauppauge site, installed the drivers, and rebooted the system. I checked "device amanager" in Windows 7 as the Hauppauge HVR 2250.

I primarily use Windows Media Center (Windows 7) and the card was recognized with 2 tuners. Note that there is only one ATSC/QAM/NTSC connection (The other is for an FM tuner antenna connection, which works well) The connection allows you to connect either to analog (NTSC) or digital (ATSC/QAM). I don't receive any analog but I do receive ATSC and QAM.

Features of Note:
Record two shows at one time (hybrid tuner)
Low profile card (came with a standard and low profile bracket)
Uses PCI-ex 1x slot (Which for me was great because of the previous PCI and heat issues, non motherboard related)

This card has been wonderful, so now my wife can record 2 shows at once.

**** Update November 5, 2013 -- This card had been a lifesaver when it comes to recording TV shows. I had absolutely zero problems, and still easily recommend this tuner to anyone looking to upgrade to more tuners.