4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me with my squirrel problem
Just so you don't think this is a useless product, as many of these reviews seem to suggest...

It's somewhat expensive (which is why it gets 4 starts instead of 5), but it did help me eliminate my squirrel problem.

Published on August 10, 2007 by Mark B

3.0 out of 5 stars It Really Depends, Can Work, Might Not
Customer Video Review     Length:: 7:08 Mins
Published on July 15, 2012 by Tiger

4.0 out of 5 stars Helped me with my squirrel problem, August 10, 2007

I had been waking up every morning to see as many as 6 squirrels happily frolicking in my backyard. Didn't see this as much of a problem until they worked their way onto my roof and into every open cavity in my house. Sealing these openings didn't eliminate their presence entirely. Cutting back tree access worked to some extent, but the ones who really wanted to get back on the roof would ultimately find a way.

Shortly after discovering that my gutter had become a nesting area for the squirrels, I declared war on the critters, and picked up both the Critter Ridder spray and granules. I generously applied the granules to the roof and gutter areas, and the spray to the trunks of all the trees that they would frequent.

The next morning, there were no signs of squirrels anywhere near my house. Sure, my trees smelled of pepper for a day or two, but the Critter Ridder worked in helping me relocate these little buggers to someone else's yard.

Will it work for your raccoon problems? - NO IDEA. But it did send my squirrels to another, more-welcoming, part of town. And when one returns, a healthy reapplication of the spray seems to get rid of them for another few weeks.

3.0 out of 5 stars It Really Depends, Can Work, Might Not, July 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 7:08 Mins

It really depends on many factors, so experiences will vary. I think you will likely find varying degrees of success, not complete eradication. If you have multiple pests, then you will probably deter some of them, in which you find 2-4 star reviews. Or if you have one pest, whether or not it works on that one determines 1 or 5 star reviews. I am happy with the products attempt to deter and isn't a gimmick, but the value will depend on your level of success. Based on many reviews, clearly success varies. At least this 5-lb shaker seems to last longer than the smaller cans at the local store.

So it is really just a big can of pepper, mostly black pepper and cayenne pepper which are two of the 3 active ingredients. Peppers smell and taste unpleasant to animals. Whether this blend and processing are the perfect solution and cost effectiveness versus wholesale black and cayenne pepper depends. It isn't a fence or barrier, just a deterrent to make it more unpleasant than the next alternative location for the animal which will hopefully move on and do its business elsewhere. But you will be fighting against (1) habits that might take time to break, (2) areas previously marked by animals or other droppings that are more attractive that offset or overpower this, (3) if yours is still the least unpleasant alternative to limited or worse options, (4) the animal's sensitivity to taste and smell of this deterrent, and (5) how fast it gets washed away and perform at reduced levels. You could have an old dog that has lost much of its sense of smell and has been using your lawn for ages and has marked the area that probably would be less deterred to change. Or a cat's habit and previous droppings might overpower this product.

This is similar to you going to the beach. Suppose rocks litter one side of the beach along with a dead fish that washed up on shore and smells a little. It doesn't stop you from walking through there, it is just unpleasant to setup your towel or walk around over there. But you might walk through it to find better sands elsewhere. But you would prefer to walk to the side of the beach that is sandy with a fresh air breeze. Your yard is the beach to the pests. You are just trying to make it less desirable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works very well with Cats and Dogs, September 13, 2009
Critter Ridder works very well with cats and dogs. It kept my dog out of my vegetable garden and the stray cats from using my flower and vegetable garden as a litter box. Although after a heavy rainfall or a few rainy days, it will not last the 30 days as suggested and should be re-applied.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money, May 22, 2010
Don't waste your money! Did nothing to repell my racoon problem. They continued to tear up my lawn and garden. You can make your own mixture. Go to your local store where everything sells for less than one dollar. Buy red chile powder and some crushed hot red chilies. Mix and sprinkle where you have the problem. Sprinkle some every week at first then you can tapper off. It works 100% The racoons have NOT returned to tear up my yard! There were also some stray cats in the area....not anymore. I live in the hills and occassionally would see coyotes as well. Have not seen coyotes in a while since I have been using the red chile powder mixture. Not certain if that is a coincidence...but I am certain it got rid of the racoon problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Actually Works, October 11, 2009
I cannot speak to every type of animal listed on the product label, but my mother's suburban home has had problems with raccoons for a couple of years. We gave Havahart Critter Ridder a try and it worked, no more unwelcome visits from raccoons. We applied the product on the ground around the perimeter of her home where it would be somewhat protected from rainfall by the eves on the house. The only thing we have had to do is reapply once in a while and problem solved. It is also worth noting that when in the immediate proximity of this product, it smells mildly unpleasant to humans but the smell fades after a couple of days.

1.0 out of 5 stars DUD!, May 18, 2012
I spread this product where several stray cats roam. I set up a camera to watch the action. All four of the cats wandered all over this product as if it weren't even there.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, August 2, 2009
Thomas R. Kueny (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I have been trying to rid my roof of defecating raccoons for 15 years! I no longer have a problem.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works OK, does wash away after while. Here's a TIP., March 7, 2013
This review is from: Havahart Critter Ridder 3142 Animal Repellent Granular Shaker, 2-Pound (Lawn & Patio)
Raccoon was using one corner of our fence as it's bathroom......GONE!

TIP: If you feel like saving money go to a discount store (COSTCO, Sam's, etc.) buy some cayene pepper, black pepper, any other nasty pepper, gring it up good.

Save your old empty shaker to apply. ;-)

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely worthless w/Raccons and squirrels. would rate negative if I could, May 22, 2007
I bought the spray. Didn't work the 1st time. Then dispersed the liquid w/out using the spray the next day....Raccoons and squirrels were happily playing in the area flipping me the bird. Went out and bought the dry formula... emptied the canister on the extremely small area around my bird feeder. Just checked and sure enough mr racoon is is happily feasting on bird food, amongst the critter ridder, below the bird feeder.

Sorry Birds find your own food now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps dogs off lawn!, March 30, 2011
I bought Critter Ridder to keep neighborhood dogs off my lawn. It works wonders! The dogs don't pee or poop on my lawn or groundcover or lift their legs to pee on any anything along the sidewalk border. Not so good for keeping a cat from using the soil under my palm for a cat box--at least it's occasional rather than every day. I highly recommend it for dogs.