5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone that rated Yoani's book with a 2 or 1 star should live in Cuba for 2 years with a regular salary and the ration board
I can't believe there are people that never set a foot in Cuba, have never experienced in their own skin the oppression of a communist totalitarian regime, have never live on a salary of 20 USD a month (which is a above the average) and yet dare to criticize the stories Yoani bravely describes in her blog and call them fake.
I have friends that were expelled from...
Published on September 18, 2012 by Lizet P

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan.
Being a Cuban-American I was exited to read this book however, I attempted but I just couldn't get through it. It's simply a book of blogs and many of the blogs are repetitive. I was very disappointed.
Published on November 17, 2011 by Jibaro4

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST read for travelers to Cuba, March 3, 2014
Barbara Morris "author" (Alexandria, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today (Paperback)
I read this after I returned from 12 days in Cuba. It's fascinating and thought-provoking; I wish I'd read it before the trip. It answers many questions I had, and I'm sure if I had read it first I could have had a better understanding of what I saw and heard. Sanchez is a remarkable woman, and I trusted her truthfulness. One of my fellow travelers who had read the book tried to get our two tour guides to comment on it, but they shrugged off his questions saying that the subject was "complicado" and implying that Sanchez is a tool of the CIA

5.0 out of 5 stars A true story of a Cuban Activist, February 21, 2014
I was intrigued in reading the efforts of Yoani Sanchez. Her work for Cubans can also be followed on line. I recommend reading the book if you are planning to visit Cuba. It was a valuable resource of understanding the culture when I visited Cuba.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yoani Sanchez voices the plight of the Cuban people, January 27, 2014
Alex Ramirez "ramcode" (Miami, FL United States) - See all my reviews
Yoani Sanchez defies the socialist regime and Castro's political police and writes about the true Cuba, the daily life of Cubans subject to 53 years of repression. What an act of courage!

5.0 out of 5 stars Havana Real: One Woman Fight to tell the truth about Cuba today, January 1, 2014
This is a "must read" for any one who has ever been to Cuba or has family and friends living there back in the "good old days." My brother in law and sister lived there (he was a U.S. diplomat before Castro took over). Times were different. I never had a chance to go visit; but it has always been a special place I really wanted to visit. This author has done an excellent job ... easy reading and very informative.

4.0 out of 5 stars well worth the time, November 22, 2013
since it is a collection of blog posting, it lacks somewhat in continuity. Yoani has a very entertaining and engaging style, and insofar as something so far removed from my experience can be judged, tells an honest and much needed truth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Havana Real, September 1, 2013
WONDERFUL, ENJOYING THE READING VERY MUCH WOULD RECOMMEND IT FOR PRIVATE READING ALSO. iT SHOULD BE OUT THERE AS A REGULAR READ

4.0 out of 5 stars Abstain if you've read "Cuba Libre" by Yoani!, December 30, 2012
Great stuff, but this is a translation of posts published in Spanish in the book "Cuba Libre" by Yoani Sanchez, with a few extras from 2010. I wish I had known that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Insightful look at the Cuba the Tourist never sees, May 22, 2011
Havana Real provides an insightful look at the Real Havana that the tourists rarely see. Hiding behind good political press of 'health and education for all', the reality of these systems are rarely analysed. While Cuba is a remarkable country which can be commended for attempting to create a 'better world', it is evident that denying the freedom of expression and access to information is not the way to accomplish this lofty goal. This book should be essential reading for anybody considering a vacation in Cuba so that they may begin to understand the daily life that goes beyond antique cars and boutique rum.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and moving, May 6, 2011
Book Babe (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This book is such a surprise - beautifully written, funny and heartbreaking. It's an honest look at the daily life of people living in Cuba today, and the difficulties they face in just doing the simplest things - finding food, shelter and clothing. The writer is so brave, she has faced beatings and imprisonment for just saying these simplest things. Astonishing! You will want to pass your copy on to a friend.

4.0 out of 5 stars True life for Cubans today., July 18, 2014
P. A. Bentz (Hendersonville, NC) - See all my reviews
The truth revealed, not sugar-coated. Brave lady.

Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today
Havana Real: One Woman Fights to Tell the Truth about Cuba Today by Yoani Sánchez (Paperback - April 26, 2011)
$16.95 $10.85