5.0 out of 5 stars Should be called new kid by Thursday!
Published on March 8, 2008 by irish girl

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as a reference
Published on June 1, 2008 by Nic's mom

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be called new kid by Thursday!, March 8, 2008
This review is from: Have a New Kid by Friday: How to Change Your Child's Attitude, Behavior & Character in 5 Days (Hardcover)
This book saved me. What is more embarrassing than your mother-in-law buying you a book on parenting, but I was so desperate I picked it up and read it in 2 nights. I started implementing the ideas immediately and get this....I saw an instant change in my daughter's behavior! I was in this huge battle with her everyday and didn't even see how wrong I was to try and do battle with a 3 year old, but she is so strong-willed and I dug my heels in. I was going about it all wrong. I am so incredibly grateful for this book! I started reading it on Saturday night and saw such a significant change in her behavior by Thursday!! I liked how the book gave very specific and useful techniques and how I didn't ever get mad or angry like I was before. I just needed to refine my skills. I have read Dr. Leman's book, Sheet Music, and now I can say I'm a fan. Sheet music saved my marriage, and this book saved my relationship with my daughter. I would highly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars New Kid by Friday, March 23, 2008
My best friend, a Mother of 6 year old twins & a 3 year old couldn't stop talking about how this book, HAVE A NEW KID BY FRIDAY, made her a new Mom and changed her kids behavior. I thought sure, but you don't have teenagers like me. She insisted that I could use some of the strategies and techniques too, so I picked up the book. Dr. Leman has such a firm, lighthearted way of describing his interventions even with teens. I especially liked his simple strategy of "Say it once, Turn your back, & walk away! Now I have more good times with my kids and our family has become so calm and peaceful. What a great attitude change I have seen in my 2 teens. If you want to have more positive relationships with your kids, I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Day ONE and it's already working, April 17, 2008
This morning we were in for our usual get up, get dressed, get out the door battle with our nine year old daughter, but I decided to go ahead and get started with the "Say it once, turn your back and walk away" and HOLY COW! It worked. I can't wait to get through the rest of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where was this book 4 years ago???, March 12, 2008
I battled my daughter for years over the same issues: getting her up for school on time, getting her to eat and fighting with her over bedtime. I read Dr. Leman's book in one sitting, got excited about the prospect of having a different child on my hands and was simply amazed at the turn around in my daughter Jessica. Following the simple principles of this book encouraged me that I can continue to be a good mom, feeling good about myself for not having to yell and scream like I have for years. I have a daughter who I KNOW feels better about herself because of the changes I've made as a mom. My husband travels and won't be home until Fri. and I can't wait for him to see the difference in our daughter. I felt compelled to write this and I'm telling all of my friends at my daughter's gymnastic class about the positive changes in my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Any parent can learn a lot from this excellent book, April 15, 2008
Want a kid without attitude? If you're tired of defiant attitudes and power struggles with your little ankle-biters or the disrespectful hormone group, read this book and follow the simple principles, and you'll have a new kid by Friday. Guaranteed! (from the back cover)

Have a New Kid by Friday is a five-day plan, Monday through Friday, that Dr. Leman swears really works. He shows us:

* Why kids act the way they act
* The 3 most important things every parent wants, and how to teach them
* 3 simple strategies for success
* 3pillars of self-worth and how to develop them
* Be the shrink--launch what you learned on your unsuspecting child

At the end of the book an A-to-Z appendix offers straightforward advice and gutsy plans of action on the hottest parenting topics--including bedwetting to talking back and much more.

I love this book! The first day I picked it up, I read the introduction and the chapter for Monday (there are chapters for Monday through Friday) and I already saw some areas where I was going wrong with my teenagers. I implemented a change right away, and the result was positive. Dr. Leman's plan of action actually works.

If you are having problems (or just want to stop problems before they start) with a child of any age level, then pick up a copy of Have a New Kid by Friday. This book is guaranteed to work--if you follow it's principles.

Armchair Interviews says: Good help for any parent.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great content but loses a star for Kindle formatting, October 25, 2010
Myron Uecker (Thornton, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great book and much of the time it felt like the author was talking directly to me. I believe it will work but I'm waiting for my wife to get a chance to read it so we can work together on the plan with our children. I recognize a lot of bad habits in both of us that can be fixed.

I'm taking away one star because of the Kindle formatting. There is the "Ask Dr. Leman" section with an index of topics, however, the page numbers are for the printed book, not the Kindle edition. That makes that section very difficult to use without reading straight through. It is meant to be used as a reference and not necessarily read straight through. I have already left feedback with Amazon requesting that it be changed. If that is fixed, it will make the Kindle edition a lot more useful.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great as a reference, June 1, 2008
I think the content is good, but I actually got more out of his "Making Children Mind Without Losing Yours" book. It was just a little too general for my taste. I think his points were great, I just found myself wanting more detail! I didn't realize, however, that most of the book is comprised of "Ask Dr. Leman" topics which actually work great as a reference tool on an "as-needed" basis. Overall, I trust anything he writes - he's got the right ideas for parenting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Teachers, Parents and Principals, April 8, 2008
I am a Middle School Principal here in the Chicagoland area. A parent of one of my students gave me this book to read. I enjoyed it so much and found the ideas to be so worthy, that I bought several copies for our school to use for teacher in-service training on discipline and responsibility. We also put several copies in the office for parents to check out to assist them in raising respectful kids. This is a great book and I would highly recommend it to anyone who works with kids and certainly to any parent! We are also looking into having Dr. Leman to our school for a parents night out seminar.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book says it all., October 12, 2008
Otherwise Amazon Fan (La Canada, CA United States) - See all my reviews
After reading numerous parenting books and being a very busy father with very little spare time to read these books, How To Have a New Kid by Friday is clearly the best. The first 5 chapters lay the groundwork and all the examples that follow explain the execution of the principles. I have had a remarkable improvement in my kid's behavior after using the recommendations of this book. Clearly a must have for all parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous and Funny Book!, July 5, 2008
This has to be one of the most enjoyable books on being a real PARENT that I have read... ever. I recommend it to anyone who deals with children. (I have been teaching for 22 years, and I hear my own parents' voices loud and clear in this book!) It's full of funny (because we have all been there) stories and common sense advice about being an ADULT who cares for children. The book reads quickly! You can't stop reading until it's over! It's THAT good!

Used & New from: $0.01