I hope everyone will read this touching and compelling memoir.
It will affect you in many ways and remind all of us of how
necessary it is to be informed, compassionate and active in
helping to fight this major health issue everywhere and every
way that we can - together. I especially hope all mothers will
read this and start a dialogue with...
Published on September 15, 2009 by Nancy Cosentino

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
The only thing that kept me reading this book is that I felt the author really had something to tell me. The only thing that she told me was that she is a white privilege woman with a black person's disease who is not in sink with reality. I had to force myself to turn the pages hoping that her writing skills would finally emerge and wanting this to be a good book because...
Published on October 23, 2009 by Sheere

5.0 out of 5 stars This is an important book for everyone to read because it affects everyone, September 15, 2009
I hope everyone will read this touching and compelling memoir.
It will affect you in many ways and remind all of us of how
necessary it is to be informed, compassionate and active in
helping to fight this major health issue everywhere and every
way that we can - together. I especially hope all mothers will
read this and start a dialogue with their children and with each
other. I am very proud to be Regan's mother. Nancy Cosentino

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Inspiring Story, September 20, 2009
Paula Bader Fein (Philadelphia, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I loved this book. The author contracted HIV through an unprotected heterosexual encounter. She writes movingly of her initial diagnosis all the way through her role as a proud spokesperson who educates people about HIV/AIDS and fights the stigma associated with it. Be warned - the book pulls no punches about the physical and emotional trauma of living with HIV. Ms. Hofmann's refusal to accept her diagnosis as a death sentence makes this an inspirational story indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read for Every Walk of Life, September 28, 2009
This is a truly readable and gripping account of one young person's struggle with a terrible, life-defining disease and the stigma that goes with it. It is an engaging view of a life before and after coming to terms with HIV, and the defining life's work that comes out of it. This is a book that every parent should read and require their children to read, and every adult who thinks AIDS is under control in this country should read and pass along to others. It is beautifully written, is eminently readable and is a keeper for any personal library. Kudos to a brave and admirable young woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Uniquely Personal Insight to the Epidemic, October 13, 2009
Sean Strub (New York, New York) - See all my reviews
Regan Hofmann's story is one that anyone impacted by the AIDS epidemic will find interesting, insightful and educational. She writes with an easy clarity and compelling courage, telling her story with frankness and humor. The book is a fast read, although some of the most emotionally intense parts demand a rereading to absorb fully the impact of what she has experienced. The narrative alternates stylistically between that of a diarist, an educator and a confessional; each contributes to creating a picture of a woman who lived with an intense secret that was itself a risk to her health, that when burst open was done so with a stylish exuberance and healing relief. Ultimately, she finds the power of service to others, as an AIDS educator and journalist, to become a necessary and fulfilling part of her HIV treatment. Hofmann's story is powerful, especially in its ability to reach women who may think themselves immune to the risk of HIV.

Regan was once POZ's "Anonymous" columnist, secretly embedded in the society of New Jersey's horse country and reporting to POZ readers what others say about people with AIDS when they don't think any such person is within earshot. Today she is the magazine's editor-in-chief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crucial To Understanding the Complexities of HIV/AIDS, September 23, 2009
Pamela Parsons (Princeton, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This memoir of a young woman learning that she's HIV positive through heterosexual sex is wrenching, powerful, inspiring, and informative. The author writes with searing honesty about being given a death sentence when she was in her late 20's and how she has coped and wrestled with the disease and all its complex issues. In the years since that diagnosis she has faced the demons and become an eloquent and effective spokesperson for how imperative it is for all of us to become informed about HIV/AIDS and to learn to speak about it honestly and openly. I had to read this book in small sittings in order to absorb the roller coaster ride of her medical and emotional journey and to get a grip on the statistics and hard facts of this global epidemic. Read this book and pay it forward. Pamela Parsons

4.0 out of 5 stars A Positive Woman, October 15, 2009
Regan Hofmann was just 28, still recovering from the hurt and disappointment of a divorce, when she noticed a lump in her groin. Though she was close to her family, she didn't share the doctor's diagnosis with them for several months. She struggled alone as she tried to come to grips with what seemed an obvious death sentence: she was HIV positive.

Yet this memoir is not the story of a dying AIDS victim. There's a new generation of people with HIV, people who are taking the pharmaceutical "cocktails" that make it possible to survive and manage the illness. Certainly she was forced to confront mortality, but as time went on and so did her life, what Hofmann struggled with most was the stigma and fear associated with HIV. She lived for nearly ten years in the closet, with only her closest family members, and medical personnel, aware of her disease.

She had been a freelance writer/editor with a promising career, but for more than a year she stopped working and retreated into self-imposed isolation. Telling family and friends that it was post-divorce depression, she held on by a thread as she came to grips with this blow. She waited for the end.

It chills sympathy a bit to know that Hofmann didn't worry about the rent or the groceries. When at last she confided in her immediate family, no one was concerned about the medical bills. In fact, she moved back home with her two horses, and her parents provided for her while she devoted herself to long rides in the New Jersey countryside. Meanwhile she agonized over the secret of her infection.

Her reactions may seem a little overwrought for someone with virtually no symptoms, and a life of privilege. Many people with AIDS have greater challenges. As an experienced editor, Hoffman knows she has to work to win our sympathy, so she emphasizes her emotional pain, yet she might have shown more awareness of the difficulties for those without family support and financial resources. Nonetheless, as she matures in dealing with this life-shattering news, the issue of wealth slips aside.

It's shame and fear that kept Hofmann so secretive about her HIV status. And it was not unfounded. She faced rejection and reactions of disgust. Though she understood the mortal terror behind those responses, she was also trapped by the implicit criticism. She did not easily make herself vulnerable to such judgments. Attractive young men especially made her long for an uncomplicated connection. Yet her personal and professional interactions with the HIV/AIDS community, and her own courage, eventually gave her the confidence and sense of purpose to come out with her truth.

In I Have Something to Tell You Regan Hoffman moves from victim to activist. She tells her story in an effort to conquer the stigma of HIV/AIDS, raise awareness and prevent further spread of the disease. She's out of the HIV closet and putting herself on the page to educate us, in hopes of saving us. Her ability to derive meaning from her own misfortune adds inspiration to the necessary information.

by Susan Schoch
for Story Circle Book Reviews
reviewing books by, for, and about women

4.0 out of 5 stars I have something to tell you: A Memoir, June 12, 2010
This review is from: I Have Something to Tell You: A Memoir (Hardcover)
It is a great book dealing with emotions of having HIV, my daughter was diagonsed when she was pregnant with her son. She was 7 months pregnant at the time she was diagnosed so it was too late to do anything other than to have the baby. He was born and given meds at birth and for six weeks after he was born, so he is HIV NEGATIVE!! Thank God for the new medicine that they can give a child at birth to keep them from contracting this horrible problem.

The book was and still is an insperation, I have not finished the book, I am reading the last chapters. The only thing I was hoping to get more out of the book was more of the physical problems that an HIV patient deals with. I keep a watchful eye on my daughter to see if there are going to be any physical problems that we are going to have to deal with.

My daughter will be reading the book after I finish it, so I know she will be getting some insperation regarding relationships with men. She feels like she will not have any hope with getting married, and that she will be alone for the rest of her life, but this book will show her that she can have a life and a future.

There needs to be a book written from the parent of an HIV positive child, who has experienced the birth of their first and only Grandchild that was born to an HIV positive Daughter.

4.0 out of 5 stars A heartwrenching memoir, March 6, 2013
Anyone who has suffered through devastating news about their health will appreciate this book. Regan Hofmann captivates the reader with first hand accounts of fear, loss, and uncertainty surrounding the frailty of human life. A good read for those who thought they were the only ones during their dark times.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poinient Story., July 19, 2012
Very long but book but the author is very good at her writing and tells the story with great detaill and fludity. Some parts dragged like when she kept talking about guy after guy she dated...blah blah blah...and the end kind of dragged a bit as she was discussing her activism but overall the book is an impactful read that will make you think. I love books that do that. To me the book is more than just an AIDS book it is a light that shines on immortality,stigma,our own cluelessness, people's love and acceptance no matter what, and a story of someone who chose simply to be strong. I read some reviews and I don't think it is fair to criticize the author for having money and HIV. It isn't a correlation it is something that just happened to her. Her having money does not make the impact of HIV on her any less poinient and I do believe you are missing the point when you take the time to even focus on that. And stories from all angles need to be told. I never really even paid attention to the fact that she had money as money cannot buy you health. I think the author is fantastic for taking her painful tragedy and embarking on a journey that is sure to touch many lives. All of us should have the audactity to stand up and take painful situations and turn them into something grandious. The world would be a better place for it. We all have a little HIV in us whether it be bitterness, hate, anger, and self pity. It all has the potential to
tear us apart. As the writer proves it is all about how you handle it. And yes people HIV can happen to you too. I also think the author would probably make a very good fictional writer if she's good at creating tales as she writes so well that you can clearly visualize every moment. Very detailed. Good Job Regan. Love your name by the way. Great Book.

4.0 out of 5 stars True Inspiration, June 28, 2011
This review is from: I Have Something to Tell You: A Memoir (Hardcover)
I just read this book. I learned from her story. She is an amazing lady and truly deserves the love of her life. I would like to know if she is with Keith. Anyone knows if they are engaged or married by now?

I Have Something to Tell You: A Memoir
I Have Something to Tell You: A Memoir by Regan Hofmann (Hardcover - September 22, 2009)
Used & New from: $1.33