Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$22.99

on April 11, 2014
David Thomson's "Have You Seen....?" gives this movie junkie his fill of movie information! I love the write ups on all the movies telling me which movies I'd enjoy buying/watching!
on March 8, 2015
I was slightly disappointed to find out that this book covers not just movies but television mini-series as well. In my opinion, a mini-series is not a true movie.
on May 18, 2014
David Thomson is a favorite of this friend. He has been hoping for a copy of his for years. The copy is a great condition.
on December 7, 2008
IMPORTANT: This review only applies to the Kindle edition of this book.

I've probably helped to sell a dozen Kindles for Amazon. I have mine with me everywhere I go, and I've developed a complete demonstration for when strangers come up to me in a restaurant or on an airplane and wonder "what is that thing..."

This book is the first one I've seen that argues, almost as if the publisher had intended it that way, against the Kindle concept.

1) I point out to everyone I talk with how reasonable Kindle versions of books are - mostly under $10, and many under $5. This one is over $20. Now, that might be justified if there were special navigation features, but...

2) There are no Kindle navigation features to make this book easy to browse. It covers 1000 films, and there's not even a table of contents! (Actually, there is, but the entry for the "1000 films" part of the book is simply "Begin Reading.") Kindle's Search capabilities are almost useless here, because many films are referenced on many pages, making it hard to find the specific page one might be looking for. Flipping through pages on the Kindle to browse the various films in the book was tedious and frustrating. I started making my own bookmarks (am I going to do 1000 of them?) and realized I'd been had. The publisher obviously intends this book to be a "Kindle Killer."
11 comment18 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 16, 2008
First the obvious: David Thomson is the best writer of film criticism around. By that I mean his actual writing abilty, words, phrases, style, etc. Second the admiration at his success in merely finishing the job of selecting, writing about, and analysing the 1,000 (NOT a typo!) films in this volume. Third the awe at how penetrating so much of it is on so many levels in so brief (for each film) a space. Which brings me to fourth, the caveats: Caveat: If you're not a true film buff who has seen a truly large sample of film from throughout its history, this may not be the book for you. Thomson describes moods, feelings, philosophies, engendered by the films he covers, but if you haven't seen the movie, you may not know what he's talking about since he does NOT go into great plot detail in many cases. Which brings me to the next caveat: You might want to read this with a copy of Leonard Maltin's movie guide or Videohound next to you since, except for the date of releases of each film, there is anywhere from some to no information given regarding cast, director, plot (see above), etc. except as it relates to Thomson's emotional and/or intellectual reaction to the film; some films are covered in great detail, others remain as ephemeral as Sarah Palin's intelligence. And, final caveat, don't start reading if you've got a lot of other things to do. There's those 1,000 films and once you start reading Thomson, it's SO hard to stop!
0Comment17 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2009
One page per movie. Very idiosyncratic choices, not meant as a "best of" (he doesn't care for some of the included moves, just thinks they're interesting for one reason or another). Leaves out a lot of canonical, especially foreign, films and writes about many you've never heard of.

But the writing is always interesting, perceptive, personally biased, guaranteed to hold your interest even if it may get your dander up. Betcha can't read just one....
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2015
Very interesting book
on April 15, 2014
As always, Thomson delivers - just barely. More interesting and better explicated reviews can be found in the works of Roger Ebert, Leonard Maltin, and just about anywhere...
on September 11, 2011
The length of the reviews prevents them from achieving true depth. The annoying personality of the author prevents them from achieving true wit, in my opinion.

Should have been ten pages long with the titles listed followed by thumbs up or down. Further reading of these reviews beyond "did he like it or not" led me to get upset at finding the kind of "criticism" that is really just personal ax grinding.

Another book that makes me weep for the state of critical writing in America today. Avoid.
0Comment2 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 3, 2009
Book contents was as good as I had expected (that's sarcasm); however, the quality of the actual book, e.g. the cover, labels stuck, etc., were a disappointment, especially since I had looked forward to passing it on to a friend. Moral of the story/review - don't buy books unless they're new.
0Comment2 of 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse