Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL

Format: DVDChange

on January 13, 2013
Five 0 is still one of the best cop shows ever. And can put 95% of the trash on TV now to shame.
This was TV like to should be. The people could act, and the storys were good. You had to watch it
and going along for about 50 + mins to see what was going to happen. The so called people that think they can act ect today.
are a joke. And the stores Ha! Get this set! Watch it from A-Z. And Book'em Danno! You will be glad you did..
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 11, 2012
Awesome DVD set, I've always wanted all the episodes and now I got them! I would gladly recommend this to any 5-0 fan out there. Book em Dano!
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2012
Hawai'i Five-0 fans may want to get this for
themselves and send out the other separate
seasons as gifts!

There is also a very worthy package of the first
9 seasons packaged together, since many don't like
the 10th, 11th and especially the twelfth seasons.

Speaking of the 12th season, this version has a
different cover! It has McGarrett, Duke, the Gov
and Nick (Lt. Danny Kamekona), instead of Truck
(and Lori)! Pick Up On It!

Except that 'Bored, she hung herself' is not here in
season three - unless you get the ntsc aussie version!
Book'em anyway Danno (or Dano, or Duke, or CHin Ho, or
Nick...or Frank...) Interesting as they changed the cover to
McGarrett, Duke and added Nick [Danny Kamkona) and the The
Governour [Rich Denning, Sr.].
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 16, 2014
I was skeptical about ordering this set based on past negative experiences the dreaded "coin holder slot" packaging. But Amazon put it on sale for $139.99 so I took a shot, ordering from Amazon (as opposed to a third party seller) so that I would not get burnt if I had an issue with the discs. So glad that I did.

I spent HOURS checking all 72 discs. About 50% of the discs had either scratches or glue residue (thanks to the cut rate coin holder packaging) and required cleaning with a soft clot. I knew I would have to discard the original packaging because reinserting the discs would subject them to further damage.

Given all that, the S4 D3 disc was the deal breaker.
When played in my DVD player, this disc skips the standard CBS splash screen when you first load it and starts to play the first episode on the disc ("Burning Ice"). It is then possible to navigate back to the episode menu, However, two of the episodes that should be on the disc ("A Matter of Mutual Concern" and "Nine, Ten -- You're Dead" are COMPLETELY MISSING. They are listed on the episode menu, but when you select them and hit play, you are presented with pieces of "Burning Ice" (already on S4 D3) and "Bait Once, Bait Twice" (which is in it's entirety on S4 D4) instead of the expected episodes.

This must be a manufacturer defect. Three other buyers have pointed out problems with this S4 D3 disc on the boxed set.
Strangely, I see no mention of the problem in the review for stand alone Season Four set.
Needless to stay, my boxed set is on it's way back to Amazon, who, to their credit, issued a no questions asked refund.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2014
This "complete series" volume comes in a very handsomely packaged set. The heavy outer box holds two book-like items, each with beautiful scenes from the show. The thick leaves of the books form the cardboard sleeves holding the DVD discs. As other reviewers have noted, cardboard sleeves do not afford the best protection for discs. About four or five discs were noted to have fine scratches upon first removal from their sleeves, however these very light scratches did not seem to affect the play quality. Season 4, Disc 3 was so badly scratched it would not load in the (computer based) DVD player.

Happily, Amazon provided a complete replacement set. However, again Season 4 Disc 3 has scratches. (I note another reviewer pointed out the same problem with the SAME DISC. Maybe it's a production problem.) This time, I was able to get WinDVD player to operate this disk, but it won't load on VLC Player. So I suppose I will just have to watch this disc in a different player.

If you want a collector's set that really looks good this is for you. (Other than the missing episode from Season 2, mentioned elsewhere.) On the other hand, if you really expect to watch these shows often, you might want to find a set that comes in plastic cases rather than cardboard sleeves. In any case, if you purchase this set I recommend you open it upon receipt and actually check each disc to confirm they are good. I didn't play every disc all the way through, just loaded each one and ran it a little bit. I'm glad I did.

Amazon is really great about merchandise replacement but there is a limited time deadline. Don't make the mistake of putting this on a shelf and watching it over the next year or so. You might find an unpleasant surprise later on.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2013
I would love nothing more then to order this box set of the original Hawaii Five O television series... And will, as soon as it becomes the "COMPLETE" series by adding the missing second season episode. I will not pay for anything that advertises it is something it quite obviously isn't.
5555 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 10, 2013
First, the title of this series is, was and ALWAYS will be (as any true fan knows) HAWAII FIVE-0, with a zero. The series, and the team, were named after Hawaii being the 50th state. Hence a five and a zero. FIVE-O (with the letter O) makes absolutely no sense. Renaming it FIVE-O to differentiate it from the new series is stupid. Both series are named FIVE-0.

Second, as others have noted, the collection is not complete without "Bored She Hung Herself." (There is no actual comma in the title.) Yes, there are legalities preventing it from being released but the episode itself is harmless enough despite its history of allegedly causing a death. On the other hand, it is not a particulary good episode and the ending is especially stupid so it's no big loss, but for completeness' sake it should be released.

Third, yes, the 1997 pilot should be included because it continues the plotline of the original series (even though it somehow brings Chin Ho back to life, but this is not the first time this sort of thing has happened in fiction.) Also I would have liked to have seen the two-part version of the original pilot ("Cocoon") as broadcast by CBS in the spring/summer of 1969. The opening/closing credits and the editing were closer to the first-season episodes rather than a separate movie.

Also, the pilot of the new Hawaii Five-0 could have been added to allow viewers to see that if they hadn't already. Not only could they fit all the pilots (1969 part 1, 1969 part 2, 1997, 2010) on a special pilot DVD disc but it may have encouraged some viewers to buy the new series on DVD as well.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2013
I'm giving this one 4-stars instead of 5. I bought the series on DVD as individually released seasons as they came out. So, I already have this. But is this REALLY "complete"? Is that "missing" episode from the second season, "Bored, She Hung Herself" included, if not on the 2nd season DVD box, maybe as an extra on a bonus disc? I know all about WHY CBS never reran that episode back in Summer 1970, and why CBS/Viacom never included that episode for rerun syndication, and why CBS/Viacom/Paramount hasn't included that episode when Season-2 (alone) was released on DVD, but if this "complete series" of DVD sets is REALLY going to be "complete", then it "should" include "Bored, She Hung Herself" from the second season! If it turns out that it really does include that episode (which I doubt, however), then I will change my rating to 5-stars from 4!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2014
If you are like me and occasionally don't check every disc in a huge box set, do yourself a favor and check season 4, disc 3. As other reviewers have pointed out, this disc does not play! And not just in one box set, but two! Yep, I give 5 stars to amazon for excellent customer service and sending me a replacement box, but the exact same disc had a problem and would not load in either a DVD player or computer. So I give Paramount a big zero for quality control. And it's a shame too, because it is a nicely done box, but what good is it if one disc is bad?
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2013
I bought the series for myself. I have been watching the episodes and I remember why I loved the series as a kid! I cannot compare this to any other series out there except for NCIS and the reboot of Hawaii 5-0. Very hapy that I bought it and watching it all the time.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse