Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on March 23, 2012
First, let me state that I love the story that Denise Daisy has created here. I am captivated. However, there really is something to be said for getting an editor. I could have edited this book better, and I am by no means a grammar expert. Examples include starring instead of staring (consistent, but consistently WRONG), sense instead of since, misplaced or missing apostrophes, misplaced or missing commas, ugh. The list goes on. It really detracted from the story. In a few places I had to read a few lines repeatedly to try to figure it all out. I think the editing was even worse in this book than in the first. Love the story, but I am disappointed with the overall result.
99 comments29 of 32 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 26, 2012
Just a note before I begin, I work a full time job, had a house full of company this week and I read this book in under 3 days. Its just that good!

Ok now for the review... This book picks up right where the last one left off (which I SO appreciate). Again the author takes you back into a fantasy you never want to escape. We follow Bronwyn on her quest to find the manuscript she began writing years ago as a child. After retrieving her manuscript her main quest becomes about returning to Travis and making sure to stay alive. As many questions are answered, more mysteries arise leaving you even more in shock than you could imagine. There are many scenes that made my heart feel like it was going to beat out of my chest.

This book has mystery and suspense which are probably my two favorite things to read about. But we also see the over arching love story develope in such a mystical and beautiful way. One thing I experienced reading this book, which i didn't really expect, was the evocation of my emotions. This book made me want redemption for the characters, good and bad.

Haytham reads effortlessly. The words literally just flow from the page. The structure, the story, everything about the characters makes for such an amazing experience. Flawless story telling!
on March 16, 2012
I almost died waiting for Haythem, The Secret in the Rubble. After reading The Secrets of Moonshine (and completely loving it), I was ready and waiting for the second book in the series and was not disppointed! Haythem, The Secret in the Rubble gives you a more in depth look at the characters that we met in The Secrets of Moonshine - causing me to be more endeared to some, and repulsed by others. It continues Bronwyn's hunt for the book based on Moonshine, and even gives us a little more of the romance between her and Travis. The end is a killer cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more! Cannot wait for the third book to come out!
on January 5, 2013
I started in the middle instead of with the first book. I loved it. I don't usually read fantasy. But this was a very clean book. My only problem was grasping some of the names. Now can't wait to read her first book.
on March 12, 2012
Denise did it again. I'm reading Haytham and then realize that soon, it'll be over and then what? I enjoyed this fantasy and still the characters linger in my thoughts. And she left enough loose ends to make me hunger for the next one. The only problem is having to wait for the next one. <Heavy sigh> The things in life that we wait for to make us happy.
on March 26, 2012
I purchased this book after reading the first in the series, which was a free download, because the story concept has really good bones. It's the fleshing out that is a bit rough.
I'm glad I read the book, and would recommend it solely based on the premise of the story. That being said...

Here are a few specific things that bother me (WARNING...>>>>SPOILERS!!<<<<)...

1. The point of view keeps changing, sometimes in mid chapter. It's jarring and should usually be avoided. The reader doesn't always need to know everything each major character is thinking.
2. Some of the major players are really one dimensional and arbitrary. Total plot devices. Bethany reminds me of a poodle. Abadon doesn't come across as anything more than a cartoon bad guy - where's the truly evil and sinister nature? I just wasn't feeling it. Bronwyn's parents, the acting troupe members, Falcon's team members, the Eden guards and citizens, etc., all seem like an afterthought. I was enjoying FBI agent Jacob, and Elam had some of that evil I wanted to see in Abadon. Falcon is probably the best written character in the story, but the interactions with the other team members was not believable, and beating up Bronwyn also seemed totally out of character.
3. Bronwyn. Poor Bronwyn. I can't figure out if I'm supposed to feel sorry for her or if I should try to talk some sense into her. She's compelled to do things, write things, and be willing to suspend disbelief, but sometimes I just want to yell at her for being stupid and missing the obvious. She is the main character, but sometimes she feels less like a character I should care about and more like a plot device.
4. The dialogue is sometimes very labored or entirely flat.
5. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation are issues. I noticed several places but didn't mark them. It's not a story killer, but it is distracting.
6. Passage of time. I had a hard time believing a cross country drive in a pick up truck only took 2 days. I know it can be done if you're leaving before the crack of dawn and driving well into the night, but it didn't feel real.
on January 2, 2014
This series sucks you in from the start. Ms. Daisy is a wonderful storyteller! My only regret is that she can't write faster. I will be anxiously awaiting her next book. Definitely a Must Read! (Make sure to start with The Secrets of Moonshine)
on April 25, 2012
I'll start by agreeing with pretty much everyone else that this is a captivating read. I thoroughly enjoyed this sequel (as well as the first in the series) and finished it in less than two days. Creative plot, good pacing, descriptive... I loved that we didn't recap the first novel in this second one - just jumped right in! Bronwyn was a little slow to catch on to things at times, but thankfully the suspense and flow moved right along.

That said, I have to agree with reviewers Melissa (March 23) and BaNana: a really good editor is needed. Grammar, tense and punctuation in both novels needs some help. For me, like some readers, these things are just as important as the story... Especially if I'm buying something online.

Ms. Daisy, you're a talented story teller. I sincerely hope that you get picked up in the publishing biz and find the editorial support that would make this a 5 star (my opinion) book! You asked for some examples in earlier reviews: I'm reading on an iPad so I can't offer page numbers. But off the top of my head ( because I finished the book in the middle of the night), I stumbled over misplaced commas, lack of possessive case, tense confusion and typos. The consistently misspelled word was "starring" when "staring" was really what was intended.

In summary, a great read and I completely recommend, editorial flaws and all! Ms. Daisy, please keep us posted on the next in this series...it's eagerly awaited.
11 comment3 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
Love the book series. Can't wait for the next book to come out. Makes one wonder if there really is another world just beyond that is only separated by a portal.
on November 12, 2012
Haytham, The Secret in The Rubble by Denise Daisy really starts to put things together, but it ends with such a big cliffhanger. I don't know if I can wait patiently for the third book to come out! The story line is described very well so I was able to picture things as they were happening. The story is also easy to understand what is going on. There is also little hints and clues about things to come that made me start to anticipate how things may end up, but then there were little curves that made me start to think again. I did notice a few punctuation errors and I don't know if it's just my e-book version, but the indents for the paragraphs seemed to be in a little too far. Other than that, I loved reading this book and need to know how it all ends! My full review can be found at bestonlinerviewofbooks.com.