Hayward H400FDN Universal H-Series Low Nox 400,000-BTU Natural Gas Pool Heater
Style Name: 400,000-BTUChange
Price:$1,850.00 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on July 10, 2010
Style Name: 250,000-BTUVerified Purchase
If you're like me, this will be a major online purchase for you. You probably have also seen that there are precious few reviews on pool heaters. So I will write a little bit lengthier review and figure you will have the patience to read through it.
My 20 year old pool heater was dead and the summer was just starting. I got 3 bids from big Southern California pool companies. Each bid was around $2700. I thought I could do better. After a little research, I quickly realized there are only 3-4 major pool heater manufacturers. There were plenty of articles out there to figure out what size I needed and one article said to always get a bigger heater than you need (good advice!).
The bids I received from my pool guy and the other companies always broke down to heater around $2200 and installation $500. When I told my pool guy I was going online he asked that after I picked the heater I wanted to give him a chance to beat the price. When I gave him this price including no tax and no delivery fee he could not beat it.
Hayward is one of the big 3 with just a couple of models to choose from so it was an easy decision to pick this one. Our pool is a lap pool with only 8000 gallons instead of the more normal 10,000-12,000g(my estimate using calculator on another site) but I chose a slightly bigger capacity. I am glad I did because to heat from 71 degrees to 90 degrees where i like it takes about 6-8 hours. (But Now I need a solar blanket to not lose the heat at night.
Anyway, there are cheaper pricings on this model at other sites but I knew Amazon would stick behind his if i had problems so I paid about $100 more but using Amazon Prime, I paid no shipping saving over $150 in shipping. It took about 8 days to arrive. It was delivered to my garagre. Beautifully and securely packed. I was able to unpack it myself with a box cutter and a screw driver. My pool guy was able to install it in 2 hours including the grounding and a new pipe fitting at the gas valve. He charged me $350. I was able to track the heater delivery online. I was able to pay by credit card which I could not do if a pool company bought it for me.

It works easily, amazingly simply, and total cost was $1870 so I saved almost $900 and got a bigger heater than the pool guys would have given me.

It is sensitive so one time after a week it shut off with a code for insufficient water supply (keep the manual to read the error codes in the digital window)but a simple backwashing and the flow picked right up and it went on again. I definitely recommend getting this online. You will save a lot and this model is very handsome, sleek, low profile and easy to operate.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 17, 2012
Style Name: 400,000-BTUVerified Purchase
Had a Pentair 400,000 BTU heater that made it about 3 years before entering the "fix me every 6 months with a $600 repair" stage. Spoke with a spa guy who told me the particular Pentair I had was a discontinued lemon and that in his opinion I should replace it instead of repair it again. He told me that I could go with Pentair again because the rest of their stuff was a lot better than what I had, but if it was his he'd buy the Hayward. He then quoted me $3,300 to get this exact heater installed. I checked around, and the best I could find was a quote for $2,700. Found it on Amazon, and decided to take a stab at it.

The package arrived on time, in perfect condition. Delivery people took it into my garage, and I took it the rest of the way on a dolly. I'm not the most experienced/mechanical guy but it probably took me 4 hours (excluding two trips to the local big box home store) to pull my old heater out and put this one in. Instructions included are pretty straight forward, everything is clearly marketed, and the heater has the option of hooking it up from either side (elect/gas/water).

I've ran it a few times and it works like a champ. No complaints at all. I would not hesitate to replace my heater again this way.

On a side note; a different reviewer on a smaller heater complained about the noise of the heater. And yes, I find it is louder than my old Pentair (and I can definitely hear it inside the master bath which is probably 20' from the unit), but I would in no way say that it is too loud. It doesn't distract from conversations while in the spa (also about 20' away in a different direction) so I would not let this affect your decision on purchasing the unit.

I really have no major complaints about the unit in any way yet. If I run into any issues with the unit in the future I will update.

UPDATE: 5/6/13. I've had the unit pushing 18 months now and I've had zero problems with it. There have been issues with the pool/spa, as there always are, but I'm happy to say this heater wasn't one of them.
on June 18, 2009
Like the other reviewer said, it works great. It's obviously a quality heater and we've had no trouble since we installed it. This unit replaced an earlier model Hayward that we installed about ten years ago. When the old one died recently, I got a quote for the repair, and it was expensive enough to make me choose to go with the new - latest and greatest - model. Like I said, this is a good unit. HOWEVER, the old unit was extremely quiet. You had to hold your hand over the "chimney" to see if hot air was coming out to know if it was running. This new unit is EXTREMELY LOUD. We have our equipment a little over 100 feet from the pool - down a winding path through bushes - just so that we could put some distance between folks in the pool and the equipment noise. Even at that distance the thing still rumbles like a truck going by. My wife complains that she can even hear it inside the house. I called Leslie's (who installed it) and they said that's the unit's normal noise level and gave me all kinds of reasons why the new unit is so much better than the old one. I'm not sure I understand that. The other one heated the water, was reliable as a rock for 10 years, didn't cost much to run, and made no noise. What more do you want from a pool heater? If I had known about the noise I would have had the old one repaired even if it had been even more expensive than the new one. This was NOT a step forward.

The upshot is that if you're not sensitive to the noise, I recommend it. But if you are sensitive to how loud it is, you might want to look further.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 26, 2013
Style Name: 150,000-BTUVerified Purchase
This Hayward replaces a 20+ year old Lars Teledyne heater.
Much smaller and lighter than the old one.

Ships with the gas connector on the right side (as you view the front), and the inlet/outlet on the left side.

I needed the water inlet/outlet also on the left, but it is not very hard to switch this yourself.

Process is described in the manual, but involves partial disassemble of the unit, removing the front panel, upper side panels left and right, top cover over the exhaust gas outlet, as well as the rain deflector under the top panel.

There are 2 wires to disconnect from a pressure switch and temp sensor. These are color coded; one red one blue. Pull them through the rubberized hole back into the front section of the heater, then the entire heater core and manifold pull out from the top, rotate 180 degrees then get replaced into the heater. The heater core/manifold fit snugly in place; no screws or bolts.

One then snakes the two wires back through the left side rubberized hole front and plug back into the switch and temp sensor on the manifold. Then the rain deflector and top panel go back on, followed by the two plastic side panels. You also have to remove smaller flat metal panels from the side plastic panels, and switch left and right to accommodate the inlet/outlet manifold now being on the left side.

All in all about 20 Phillips sheet metal screws came out then went back in.

The heater ships with the connection box for 110/220 volt hook up on the right side, as you face the front of the heater, but this can be switched to the left side pretty easily. Ships configured for 220 volts. Very simple to change this to 110; There is a white plastic Molex connector with a few wires bridging the pins plugged into the upper left 'fuse' board. The fuse board is accessed from behind the front pannel, near the top of the unit inside. There are two plugs, attached by a small cable tie;

As shipped, the one plugged in is for 220, the one dangling unattached is 110. You simply pull out the 220 Molex plug after a gentle squeeze of the side retaining clips and swap it for the 110 plug. Done! No tools needed.

All of this took me about an hour, and only requires one Phillips screwdriver.

Now for the gas and water hookups. The gas line is 3/4 inch. Getting it lined up with the existing gas line is a bit of a challenge, and might be left to your plumber. You can get 3/4 inch flexible gas pipe with the correct fittings, from amazon or your local big box diy store.(cheaper from amazon.)

Please note, this heater is ready to go as an outside installation, with the flu gas venting out the top directly. If you install inside an enclosure, you will need to also purchase the Hayward UHXNEGVT11501 Negative Pressure indoor Vent adapter to have a 6 inch flu pipe to attach to your flu-pipe/chimney. Here is the Amazon link;

Very easy to install the vent adapter to the heater, screws on the top of the unit, in place of the top plate. Be sure to order it if you will be installing inside and hooking this up to a flu pipe

You can also get this part done yourself, then leave it to the installer to run the flu pipe to the roof, or out the side of the pump house.

Finally, if you live at a higher altitude, there is a replacement flat metal plate with a series of square holes which covers the inlet for the internal draft fan. This plate/fan is accessed from behind the front panel. The one installed is for lower altitudes. The high altitude plate is in the plastic bag with the instructions manual. You simply swap the plate.

I did all the prep while the heater was still on the shipping pallet. Note; there are three screws which secure the heater to the pallet. The one in the back is visible underneath the lower back metal panel. The two front ones are not visible until you remove the heater front panel.
on December 2, 2011
Style Name: 400,000-BTU
We had a Hayward H400FD pool heater professionally installed in May 2010 (in Houston, TX). For the first year (the warranty period), it worked beautifully. It heated up the spa quickly, and could gently warm our 40,000 gallon pool adequately as well. However, in November 2011, the keyboard on the thermostat became unresponsive. The service technician from our local pool shop investigated, and found that at a minimum, that the heater's main board as well as the thermostat keyboard will need to be replaced. The replacement parts will cost at least $600! That's a third of the original cost of the heater! Although this heater heats well, we are not at all happy with the major electrical problems that cropped up as soon as the paltry one-year warranty period ended. Avoid this brand of heater!!
Style Name: 400,000-BTUVerified Purchase
This is ridiculous. The control panel went out. $700 for the control panel. Then I look here, and others have had the exact same problem. Hayward products are sub-standard, and I will never buy them again. Clearly, they don't stand by their products anyway. So, for $700 I repair this one part, or spend another $500 and replace the whole heater with a Pentair. I only ended up using it once a month to maintain it, and 4 times to enjoy it.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 9, 2011
Style Name: 250,000-BTUVerified Purchase
The local pool store quoted $2,000 for this product plus $250 to install. Through Amazon: $1,500 (free shipping). I installed all but the gas connection, which cost $100. Thanks Amazon!
Also, If you are replacing an old heater, don't forget about ripping out the copper core. Mine weighed 28 pounds, @ $2.90 a pound (2/02/11 prices)= $81.20 from the local recycler.
on August 22, 2013
Style Name: 400,000-BTUVerified Purchase
It worked one time, now a month later I need a new board and Hayward tells my furnace repairman since i bought it from Amazon i am on my own. But i can buy it from amazon for $170.And after 4 phone calls to them and paying 4 visits from the repairman. After reading these reveiws i even had a little roof biult over it to keep the rain off of it

wow thanks! even the whole 1 year warranty was crap
on January 6, 2013
Style Name: 400,000-BTU
When it works, it is great, However, ours has gone down 3 times with electrical problems. During the last warranty call the technician informed us that rain was penetrating the heater and shorting the board. Then he proceeded to tell us that Hayward would no longer honor the warranty unless we took steps to prevent the heater from getting wet. This is a piece of outdoor pool equipment (very expensive equipment outdoor equipment). It baffles my mind that its electronics are not protected against rain or moisture. Currently mine is covered with a tarp (I can't find a cover on the market).
on April 30, 2013
Style Name: 250,000-BTU
I decided to write this review because no other review talked about anything other than price (geez...we know it's a good price tell us something else). I have a 17,000 gallon pool and turned this on when the water temp was 66 (F) it took 4 hours and the pool was up to 77 (F). It's a sensitive unit in that: if it doesn't get enough water flowing through it, it errors out so if your filter needs to be cleaned or back washed make sure you do it right before you use it...one reviewer said it was loud...i don't agree with that 100% although it does make noise because so much gas is going through the unit and there's a blower. I don't know how effecient it is but i would assume it could be more effecient since the exhaust from the unit is very hot. my propane company said that this unit is very expensive to run given that it will go through about 2 gallons of fuel in 1 hour. Super easy to use: it only has a few buttons and i didn't need the manual to figure out how to turn on or regulate the water temp. I would buy this product again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations